Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/taskforce.html

If you listen to how Priest tells it, he's basically never been on a comic where higher-ups weren't absolutely determined to gently caress with him.

Priest is so awesome, and it's a drat shame he doesn't write comics any more. He's the guy who had Spider-Man punch a woman to death, and afterwards, you didn't feel like it was a lovely thing Priest had done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gavok posted:

First, the people behind it decided that magic is lame and boring. Instead of spells, hand lasers and other kinds of sorcery, the movie is about swords. Magic swords. It's like the Ancient One is running his own Green Lantern Corps and the only construct anyone knows is swords. Swords, swords, swords. That's what magic is all about. But whatever, it gives the animators something to do. At least it's a style choice and I can almost respect that. It's how the story resolves itself that really gets my shaking my head.

I never watched the movie, but I remember seeing the box, and it looked like it was based on the attemped reboot by JMS in 2004-2005, where Doc's whole origin got turned into a very-thinly-veiled Matrix ripoff with energy swords instead of kung fu. It sucked so hard. Not to mention they made Clea a brunette because Trinity. :rant:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 11, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. That's right, that old bum's destiny magnified is the literal end of the world. All of a sudden only Strange, Thing, Valkyrie and Executioner are alive in the entire world, and even they're flying off into space in a shower of cataclysmic debris. Thing manages to get the harmonica back and restores the world to its rightful place, but Valkyrie's dad is dead, and her answers are gone.

The end! No moral.

Steve Gerber! :rock:

That was an excellent post. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twistedmentat posted:

So I always thought Spider-Man and Ms Marvel's brief dating period was weird, but mostly because in my mind Parker is like early 20s at most and Carol is firmly in her early 30s. Though it worked on page, but it was so abruptly ended. I heard that it was because editorial says that Spider-Man can never date someone who was stronger than him. It's such a weird couple though, like it felt like they spun a wheel and it landed on Ms Marvel where she was between She Hulk and Rogue.

People in their 20s and 30s are allowed to date each other; it's really not a weird thing. Also, remember that they both worked for J. Jonah Jameson -- that's got to provide all kinds of opportunities to bond over war stories.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

One of the better crossovers was Silver Surfer and Superman, who get drawn into a pissing contest between Mxlypltz and the Impossible Man. Supes get stranded in a weirdly specific scenario, while Surfer is let loose in Metropolis with his cosmic powers gone awry. Then eventually the heroes team up and Impossible Man and Mixy start slap fighting by turning into a bunch of random DC and Marvel characters while arguing about which ones are cooler/tougher. It was pretty meta.

This makes me think of New Mutants Annual #3.

:allears: Alan Davis

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ferrule posted:

And so what if Claremont is into some weird bondage stuff? Does no one remember Wonder Woman?

Different people have different "creeped out" thresholds, is all. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Mastermind posted:

From that issue, which is loving gold:

Those names are fantastic. :swoon: Head-Butt is not any sillier than Forearm, and I need to know what Off-Ramp's powers would be. You could populate a new G.I. Joe universe with that list. (Here I'm thinking of OSI from the Venture Brothers, which included people like Tank Top (a guy whose mid-chest was a tank gun) and Shuttlecock (astronaut with badminton racquet).)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ferrule posted:

You leave Moon Knight alone, especially his weapons (some of which were created by Hawkeye when he traveled to ancient Egypt and gave them to monks of Konshu who then gave them to Moon Knight centuries later because comics).

I loved that West Coast Avengers storyline -- it time-traveled to cross over with a Doctor Strange story where he time-traveled to cross over with Fantastic Four #19. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

catlord posted:

For those that have had the pleasure of never hearing about it, reading the Wikipedia plot synopsis is a loving baffling litany of wondering just what the gently caress. It's four issues of Mark Millar writing a villain who's just so smart and amazing and clever and wildly murderous and who knows how every little thing is going to go and it's really wretched for a multitude of reasons. But really, the highlight is this little bit:

The idea was "what if Batman were a bad guy". He even dressed like Batman, except in all white.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

Roy Thomas also created a Nazi supervillain named Zyklon for Young All-Stars -- he was a speedster, so naming him "Cyclone" did make a little bit of sense, but still.

Anyway, I saw Batman: Digital Justice mentioned a few pages ago, and I'm surprised no one brought up the FIRST comic book with all-digital art, Shatter.

Feast your eyes on that! Drawn on a first-generation Mac, printed on a dot matrix printer. For the mid-1980s, that was bleeding edge.

I might still own a copy of Saenz's "Crash".

(I was a big Iron Man fan when I was a kid. :blush:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a little confused at the thinking behind the Sentry. I gather that the "Sentry has always been a big deal in the Marvel U" was acceptable in the original miniseries because it was a psychological horror story that was nonetheless set in the margins of the Marvel U. Then it seems like at some point, editorial actually thought they could shove Sentry down the readers' throats and we'd love him because they retconned him to be the most beloved superhero in the world.

They never really did explain what the Void was, either, as far as I could tell. Crazy Norm said he was the angel of death but that didn't mean anything.

Were we supposed to love him? And I could swear the Void was a split personality kind of situation, which is why the Sentry finally accepted that he had to go.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The KKK: group who killed people they didn't like.

Hitler: guy who killed people he didn't like.

Westboro Baptist Church: people with signs that say jerky things on them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Oh, we're not going to torture you. We're going to stick scanning needles into your living brain and get the information that way. Totally painless."

"Unless we forget the anesthetic! Hi, I'm the surgeon, and I'm drunk!"

-- Henry Bendix and a Warren Ellis stand-in

I don't think Bendix was really a good guy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Man, they should have made Black Canary a member of the Batfamily instead of coming up with Batgirl.

Now that's what I call a wrongpinion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RentACop posted:

Dr. Rockso?

He does cocaine.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Barry didn't just win, he ran the entire race as everyone else was about to cross the finish line.

The Flash is really loving fast.

Quicksilver got owned hard in Avengers/JLA.

And I'm okay with that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Quicksilver has always been a dick. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, but he's always some degree of jerk.

RareAcumen posted:

What is Flash wearing and why?

Flash is wearing a device that stores Speed Force and allows him to run fast when he's not in the DC universe. Without that power source, he can't run faster than a normal guy. Those panels are from the Avengers-JLA crossover, and they definitely moved between the two universes. They might have been outside of them at some point, too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

Well, Quasar was written by Mark Gruenwald, PBUH, who outgeeked us all with his fussing over cross-continuity details.

He was the one guy to out-trivia Mark Waid, if I remember correctly. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

He looked at himself in the wardrobe mirror. He
stuck out his tongue. “Yellow,” he thought. The word
yellow wandered through his mind in search of something to connect with.

Only one pair of feet in the whole gang.

Aphrodite posted:

Who's the Jesus there combined with Silver Surfer?

I guessed Aqua-Iceman.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darthemed posted:

Those were all during Claremont runs, right?

Brocktoon posted:

...the early-80s X-Men...

How could it be anything else? :)

Although I think X-Factor was written by Louise Simonson -- upon further review, the first few issues were written by Bob Layton.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brocktoon posted:

Ugh! Yeah, get the gently caress over it and start banging your resurrected ex-girlfriend already!

("Ages ago" = about 10 issues)

Rusty and Skids are teenagers, and should therefore not be expected to say things that make sense. (I'm assuming that's Rusty.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MonsieurChoc posted:

Colonel Tye was a loving hero.

Also, a lot of blacks joined the British cause because they were promised freedom. Some of them even got it, in glorious Canada. :canada:

Yeah, but doesn't Canada still have a queen?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wookieepedia copied it and it was entertaining enough, but since Wookieepedia is for the most part populated by joyless grognards and canon curators, it's tucked away in their "essay" section where nobody will ever stumble across it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat/Legends

That page used to be on Wikipedia until they were shamed by SA's "Wikigroaning" article.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cleretic posted:

For all the Clarmont mind control and such that gets bandied about, it's really this sort of stuff that keeps surprising me to see in this thread. I'm not sure exactly why, but when it delves into transformation without body horror it feels very strange.

It's a little horrific.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the X-Babies were made by Mojo specifically as an adorable team to star in his dimension's cartoons. The story that introduced them was a fairly blatant parody of merchandising practices, Marvel, and of the creative team itself. (Claremont's own stand-in goes on an angry tirade about how stupid an idea the whole thing is and Mojo kills him.)

If I'm remembering correctly, this issue features Art Adams art and I thought it was terrific back in the day, featuring jokes about TV and media and so forth. Creating X-babies bothered me less than de-aging the actual X-people. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

I would wager a lot of kids hear about Wolverine the mutant before they learn what a literal wolverine is. Wolverines aren't really on the animal radar in the same way that like wolves and foxes and deer are.

I read somewhere that there are only 300 wolverines left in the United States.

• Locked thread