Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
agreed.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Wait is that an actual shot from the movie? That's some of the worst compositing I've ever seen

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I expect a slurry of warcraft 3 qoutes.

READY FOR WORK.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Moon was good but I have my doubts about Warcraft.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

smoobles posted:

Wait is that an actual shot from the movie? That's some of the worst compositing I've ever seen

They look like they were literally pasted on, like Bruce Lee's face on a mirror in Game of Death

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
This is going to be awful.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Aside from a single frame the teaser as a whole looked dope as gently caress. The orcs are looking sick and rad and awesomely sick. Also rad.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
Is this gonna be WOW 2.0?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Having just seen the trailer it looks like the most truly asian-influenced American movie I've seen yet

e: note I only watch historical action pics from China

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The CG style is the same as it was for the cutscenes in 2002, if anything Warcraft influenced those guys.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corek posted:

The CG style is the same as it was for the cutscenes in 2002, if anything Warcraft influenced those guys.

And somehow not as convincing looking.

And that is a lot of empty space in that screenshot.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This will probably be the most focus group driven production in human history.

And that's okay.

It will probably be so focus-grouped that it can't actually be bad-bad.

Or good.

Duncan Jones is cool tho.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jean Eric Burn posted:

This will probably be the most focus group driven production in human history.

And that's okay.

It will probably be so focus-grouped that it can't actually be bad-bad.

Or good.

Duncan Jones is cool tho.

"We have some notes here. Fred, your hat is, and I quote, 'a nice hat' so we'll be reshooting some scenes to make sure you're wearing it. Steve, you have, and i'm quoting 'kind of a dick face' and so we'll be trying to fix that in post."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blizzard's cutscenes usually look really good, why didn't they just make a feature length one. This looks about 300 times uglier.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang, that looks very bad.

In fact, the whole teaser looks worse than some video game cutscenes.

e:

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 4, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm willing to cut it some slack because we're still six months away and context is pretty drat important, but still, gently caress.

I just realised something. Is this the first game based movie to be based on a PC only series? (aside from one of the Warcraft games briefly popping up on playstation) all the others have been console mainstays.

EDIT: that second shot is just terrible. Like, not from a special effects point of view, but just from a cinematography point of view. All the empty space makes it look like a town meeting, not a coronation. Like, that's a level of visual literacy that TV shows like Game of Thrones and Spartacus have that's missing here.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm willing to cut it some slack because we're still six months away and context is pretty drat important, but still, gently caress.

I just realised something. Is this the first game based movie to be based on a PC only series? (aside from one of the Warcraft games briefly popping up on playstation) all the others have been console mainstays.

Wing Commander

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
No, Postal (Uwe Boll, 2007) was based on games that never got console releases.

zVxTeflon posted:

Wing Commander
The later Wing Commander games were ported to the Playstation and one got a 3DO release.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Wing Commander 1 and Secret Missions were on the SNES/etc. in 1992.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also Uwe Boll's Dungeon Siege movie, right?

EDIT: Make that three movies... what the gently caress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dungeon Siege games were on PSP/PS3/etc.

I think this Warcraft movie is the first. Does it even count for that since it's titled "Warcraft" like the older games that are on PSX/Saturn/etc. and not World of Warcraft?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 4, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was a Company of Heroes film adaptation a few years back, which one of my friends swears I've seen, but I don't believe him because I remember nothing about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There was a Company of Heroes film adaptation a few years back, which one of my friends swears I've seen, but I don't believe him because I remember nothing about it.

I think it just used the name. Then again, how would you tell? The game's story is just "There were some guys in world war 2, here's some stuff they did."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The game and movie are unrelated. Though the movie has been compared to Call of Duty in terms of how stupid it is regarding the way the firefights play out and the general range of tactics of the characters.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wizard on the right is cracking me the gently caress up.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
These screenshots look like a bunch of Cosplayers got together for a photo shoot.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Dang, that looks very bad.

In fact, the whole teaser looks worse than some video game cutscenes.

e:

The sitting elves etc. on the right have a huge artificial drop shadow all around them in particular.

Corek fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 4, 2015

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Those shots legit look like 90s stuff out of bad FMV games.

Like wtf, I get that it's a fantasy world, but you can't at least find some loving steps to film your actors on, you have to photoshop them all in individually?

The reason the original LOTR looks awesome is because it was mostly shot on real locations, sets, or with big-rear end miniatures that then had cg armies composited in.
This just looks like total rear end.

Edit: Even the font/title choice, look how cheesy that looks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corek posted:

The sitting elves etc. on the right have a huge artificial drop shadow all around them in particular.

It's at a slightly different angle for every group. Goddamn. This is almost as bad as those Terminator shots.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

It's at a slightly different angle for every group. Goddamn. This is almost as bad as those Terminator shots.

The soldiers on the left and right are facing the same direction, but the ones on the left are parallel to the shadow while the ones on the right have their shadows to their side. How close is the sun in this universe, 50 feet away?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corek posted:

The soldiers on the left and right are facing the same direction, but the ones on the left are parallel to the shadow while the ones on the right have their shadows to their side. How close is the sun in this universe, 50 feet away?

"We shoot with set, no mickey mouse stuff. Real Hollywood"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
#BringBackUwe

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Uwe Boll's In the Name of the King screencaps as a point of comparison:

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 4, 2015

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I'm withholding judgement until they have time to fix their poo poo in time for the actual trailer release, as they'll have plenty of time to get poo poo in order before...

....this Friday.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm being shitposterty, but I wish I could see what mind boggling terrible thing(s) you guys are seeing. The movie ain't going to be good, but those shots look fine to me.

I mean, the only way I can see someone thinking those shots are bad are the same folks who'd show screenshots of the Thing prequel and swear up and down the Carpenter movie effects were somehow better.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 4, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm being shitposterty, but I wish I could see what mind boggling terrible thing(s) you guys are seeing. The movie ain't going to be good, but those shots look fine to me.

I mean, the only way I can see someone thinking those shots are bad are the same folks who'd show screenshots of the Thing prequel and swear up and down the Carpenter movie effects were somehow better.

It's a crowd of what looks like a small village watching a coronation attended by people who borrowed their costumes at the last minute in front of a sun that's about 20 metres away and isn't sure where it is.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
This can't be as bad as The Hobbit films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Immortan posted:

This can't be as bad as The Hobbit films.

The shadows in the Hobbit movies pointed the right way, so you're already wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Oh no, the shadows! Will thy not hold out for the script, thou virile goon?

• Locked thread