Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

spectralent posted:

character thesises. Thesii? Theseseses. These'.

"Theses", as it happens. It's Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

kaynorr posted:

I've been wanting to do a series of articles (most likely in FATAL and Friends) that are a deep dive into the design of each ability, but have been waiting for ducking ever for the game to release. Is everyone working from the backer draft, and is it mechanically locked down enough to be used for reviews?

I doubt they're going to be doing any mechanical revision at this point, not with how long it takes them to re-typeset poo poo.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Can we just, like, start a kickstarter to get these guys a copy of InDesign or get Chernobyl Peace Prize to do their layout for them or something?

because

there's an entire edition's worth of books to do yet

and

I want to see Alchemicals before I die

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like doing Exalted but Exalted IN SPACE, using that Heaven's Reach setting from that old 2e setting book, but then again it's already hard enough to find players for this dead game and I can't imagine I'd find more by using copious amounts of homebrew.

Shards is old now? Shards is- oh. Oh. Shards came out five years ago.

Also, when I was googling that I found this: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?800920-Exalted-Shards-of-a-Compass-Heaven-s-Reach

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wasn't there an anti-Fate nega-Sid fansplat for 2E? Nocturnals, I think was the name.

Was Morke drawing inspiration from that or was it pure coincidence?

("Getimian" appears to be an Anglo-Saxon word meaning "to happen, befall", and etymologically related to "time". The Temporal Exalted.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Is it weird that it's weird to me that Ejava's just a footnote now? I mean, I realise all the old iconics got the boot with 3rd edition, but she's always felt like more of a major setting NPC than an iconic to me. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cabana, I'm confused. How are you getting from this:

Rand Brittain posted:

There's no "worthiness" involved in the process.

To this:

Stallion Cabana posted:

declaring literally every single Dragonblooded as Unworthy

?

Especially when you say you agree with Kaza42 about the distinction between unearned and unworthy?

I'm just not seeing who you think is saying DBs are all inherently unworthy and can never be anything but.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

At this rate I feel like every splat is just going to be more interesting and fun to play than a Solar.

I think that was inevitable from the start. Being the corebook splat means the devs are developing those charms at the same time they're developing the core charm tech, before they've worked out all the kinks in the system or understand it well enough to do anything interesting with it. And having to share page count with the rest of the rules can't help.

Maybe we'll see a Solars 3.5 three or four years down the line.

e: I'm side-eyeing these novels and wondering, uh, just how bored do I need to be?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 14, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not really sure how you'd do a Solars errata, anyway. You could do a craft errata, but most of the other problems you could identify with Solars are either "too many Charms", which isn't really fixable with errata and also isn't really worth fixing after the fact, or "there's two whole pages of persona/WST Charms that probably shouldn't exist", which is likewise pretty much just sunk cost at this point.

Well, the root of this conversation was SunAndSpring mooting that "every splat is just going to be more interesting and fun to play than a Solar", and an errata could definitely inject more interesting effects into the Solar charmset. You might exacerbate the charm bloat problem and the choice paralysis problem, but that is definitely doable.

I think I'd be satisfied with just the craft erratum, though.

That and culling the entire concept of dice tricks from the entire ruleset. You know, small goals.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

pork never goes bad posted:

I don't really know what this means, but I had a great time launching a decisive attack on a non crashed opponent recently. So this is my first game of exalted, and every combat is a learning experience. This particular combat was against a battle group.

So I had to check this, and it doesn't really matter much, but since you're new and still learning: battle groups can't be crashed, because they don't have initiative. Withering attacks hit their magnitude (health) track directly. You can launch decisive attacks against them, but coming straight out of join battle you'd probably do more damage with a withering? Depends on your setup and what you rolled for join battle, of course. :goonsay:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I just realised the game has no Bureaucracy system for the same reason that it was a terrible mismanaged clusterfuck that took years to release anything.

Morke and Holden had no idea what project management was supposed to look like.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Always hire Jenna Moran.

:yeah:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

I like to think of Getimians as being the xianxia to the Sidereals’ wuxia

:catstare:

I dunno if the game could handle a character that many exponentiations more powerful than a celestial exalt.

(I bought your book! Thanks!)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I would probably have made "you don't need tools" a Lunar and/or Sidereal trick and made Solars more dependent on context and jury-rigging.

I kinda feel like... CNNT is the most Solar charm ever written? There's nothing that says "supreme perfection of skill" to me as much as "I'm so good at this that I don't even need tools/I can do it under conditions that would usually make it impossible," and I don't think there's anything that encapsulates that quite so perfectly as CNNT?

You could make the argument that reaching into a forge, pulling out a bar of white-hot steel, and wringing a sword out of it with your bare hands is not, technically, within the purview of human skill. And sure. But I feel like it's, uh, the most direct projection of skill into the supernatural sphere? I don't think you can reasonably rule it out of bounds for Solars unless you're ruling out every other thing that's even vaguely esoteric.

I also feel like it's kind of a boring charm, which leaves me in the awkward position of not being exactly certain what I'd want done with it. Not having it be an essence 1 charm at the root of a tree seems like a start?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Remove abilities/attributes, insert permanent charms with similar effects into the trees.

Suddenly Exalted is running on a sphere grid.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Quackles posted:

Couldn't you dodge the mountain?

Or the ground... :v:

Sure, if you're a Sid.

Sids, I note, aren't even at draft stage yet.

I think if I sit down and try to work out when we're likely to see Alchemicals or Infernals splatbooks the answer's just going to depress me. :negative:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

There was a fair amount of discussion about it when the kickstarter was running. If you want to go back and read that, it starts here and continues for... ten more pages, looks like.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rand, I hesitate to even mention this given that it would mean redoing layout for everything you've already done, but it would be incredibly helpful to have charm cascades in this if it's at all possible to squeeze them in.

Blue Winds' rewrite managed it and they are just so useful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Terrible shame to have done all that work and not get anything for it. :(

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Happy Calibration indeed.

Anyone had a chance to look at the Sids draft manuscript yet?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Roadie posted:

the Exalted 3e core was put on Kickstarter in May 2013

Coming up on the tenth anniversary of that now :shepface:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, hmm, let's see. Eighteen months elapsed between the release of DBs and the release of Lunars. If you assume they keep that pace up, then... Exigents should have been out last April. But there was covid. So let's assume eighteen months between splats, and say Exigents comes out Q2/Q3 this year. So Sids are early 2025, then Abyssals, Infernals, Alchemicals, Liminals and Getimians, in whatever they want to do those. And maybe a Fair Folk book? Plus assorted miscellanea. Minimum, last splat is mid 2032. If you assume twenty four months between books is more reasonable, and there is a Fair Folk book, it's like, 2037?

So a theoretical fourth edition hits 2040ish?

Does this game just have too much poo poo in it? :thunk:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Stephenls posted:

(And even if you had a time machine, John Morke would have vetoed it, because he thought giving Exalts anything other than perfectly fit and toned god-bodies was stupid.)

I could have sworn there was wheelchair art in the corebook. Big purple thing with spiked wheels? I can't find it now.

I remember it specifically because someone piped up at the time saying that, as a person with a wheelchair, she found off-putting because it looked too large and heavy to actually function as a mobility aid.

It's not in Miracles, Arms or the DB books either, I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Stephenls posted:

(sorry, I can't name-drop individual giant mythic Indian god-weapons)

The Indian ones are interesting because a lot of them are divinely empowered arrows. I think because in Indian culture the principal heroic weapon was the bow?