Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The star-and-crescent was the symbol of the House of Osman (Ottoman). It became a symbol of Islam in the mid-20th century.

Ironically, it's of pagan origin, representing ancient Turkic gods.

The star and crescent was one of the symbols of Byzantium dating back to pre-roman times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Full circle

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mr Havafap posted:

Aw c'mon thread, don't die..

My favorite historical fact: siege of Paris (1870-71) and ballooning.

So Napoleon III was embarrassingly enough taken prisoner by the Prussians, game over, right?

Not quite, the city of Paris went "gently caress 'im, we're a République now and we'll keep up the fight" and were soon encircled. The city was heavily fortified at the time so not as absurd as it would seem today. Plus they had time to move various industries and ca 400 k troops inside the walls (not food though, see separate chapter on eating dogs, cats, rats and every animal in the zoo).

Left the challenge of communicating with the outside world. Not by telegraph though, the Prussian found and cut the cable.
Cans with mail were dropped in the Seine, which would hopefully be found (none were), and I'm sure semaphores, fireworks and spiritism were on the table.

Someone suggested balloons.

In the end some 65 balloons carrying a total of 164 passengers would eventually make the trip from Paris to wherever they landed, I think I remember the Prussians not catching a single one catching only 5, and of course carrier pigeons who would make return trips to the besieged city (they were definitely off the menu).

Also after the siege of Paris the French government shot or deported several thousand Parisians because Adolphe Thiers was a shithead

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hogge Wild posted:

Well, he was the main guy behind the first assault rifle.

He was a Mexican arms designer??

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tias posted:

Try a bit harder, will you? The dude literally left his kid to die in a prison camp, and his wife shot herself in the head after he humiliated her repeatedly in front of guests.

how about you stick to oi music and leave politics to the grown ups? Heh

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dalris Othaine posted:

Speaking of Charlemagne, he's basically the reason that Ecclesiastical Latin exists.

Dude was Emperor (or whatever, let's not quibble) and really getting into this whole "Christianity" thing. Holidays, divine rights, life everlasting? Great! But he was incredibly concerned that if people were pronouncing the old Latin prayers wrong, then God wouldn't be able to understand them, and everyone would go to Hell or whatever current dogma said would happen. So he established schools and such to teach the proper way to read and write Latin, so everyone (and ideally himself) could get in on that.

The twist?

Charlemagne couldn't read Latin.

You can probably imagine how well that went.

And for a fun fact that's much less likely to have been accidentally made up by me (:v:) the Pope has his own Twitter account @Pontifex. He tweets in English and Latin.

Charlemagne couldn't read at all. He was a dumb illiterate motherfucker.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Well yeah. That's what scribes are for, man!

He tried! The story i choose to believe because gently caress him is he slept with his study materials under his head so it'd be absorbed and he wouldn't be a dumb idiot anymore.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

steinrokkan posted:

Heh, this fucker conquered half of Europe and established the political divisions of the continent for the better part of a millennium... What a retard!

The political divisions of Europe: not retarded

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Charlemagne hosed his kids, and also europe

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Comrade Koba posted:

Looks like someone bought Empress Irene an account.

If that was true at least I'd have a legitimate imperial title, unlike Karl :agesilaus:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mans posted:

And yet he was one of the brightest military minds of the time with such a great focus on building a stable and lasting state and logistics behind it that probably weren't seen for centuries before or after in europe.

It's always weird how Charles V came before Charles II :V

Charlemagne: good at breaking things, possibly forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rad Gravity posted:

Yeah gently caress him for breaking the peaceful European community of the eight century

I'm sure the Saxons and Lombards appreciated his peacemaking