Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As your source says, carrots were yellow, and then most probably were bred and selected to become orange in the Netherlands.

The story goes that the Dutch did this mainly to honour the royal house of Orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Louis Napoleon, king of Holland, is considered somewhat of a cool guy by the Dutch people.

While his brother wanted EMPIRE, he cared a lot more about giving his subjects a good life, and went against his brother's commands to do so. He visited the sick (without caring about the risk of getting sick himself). He gave money and rights to religious minorities. He created a bunch of cultural institutions that last till this day, such as the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences and the Rijksmuseum.

But he's best known for trying to learn the Dutch language and failing. He supposedly said "Iek ben de konijn van 'Olland" instead of "Ik ben de koning van Holland" (I'm the bunny of Holland, instead of I'm the king of Holland).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's hilarious, and sad. Both imo.

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless
beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and
impatient of restraint.

– Hesiod, 800s BC

Googled that quote. Wikiquote says there's no actual proof Hesiod ever said that... is it a hoax?

Edit: Interesting. A similar quote was supposedly Socrates'... and that one might have originated in 1907.
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Dec 6, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

... There's a post counter?

It increases if you post on a good subforum, decreases if you post on a bad subforum and doesn't change if you post on a neutral subforum.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dutch kings tend to have so many titles that in official writings they give their main title as king, followed by "etc. etc. etc.". The triple etc. is considered an official part of their name when written in that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Fact: people at one point wished for a "dark Zelda game".

But full dark is too scary, so they got twilight instead.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Being exiled from the Roman Empire as an aristocrat doesn't sound much fun. Where do you go? Into the wilderness? Live with some barbarian tribe?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The world being round makes some sense. If you live by the sea, like the Greeks, ships would seem to disappear when they cross the horizon, but later come back. Ancient people weren't stupid, they interpreted the data they had with the leading theories of the day. The sphere is a perfect shape, so why wouldn't the Gods have made the world into such a shape?

Eratosthenes even calculated the approximate circumference of the Earth, and got fairly close to boot. Source

If you ask me, the dumbest thing Aristotle gave us (and that managed to survive for quite some time) was the idea that flies and other insects only had four legs.

Yeah, without a microscope, why would you even assume micro-organisms exist.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny, I worked at a science museum for a while, and school classes would come in for lessons about a range of subjects. I often did the photography one, and after a short history of photography, the kids would get to work with film and a pinhole camera in the dark room, take a picture, and then develop it. Next, they'd make a positive by putting the developed film on photographic paper and applying light. They were simple black-and-whites of course.

Of course I made some pics myself too, and I kept a few of them. After sitting on my desk for a year or so they started fading and turning a bit brown just like actual old photographs. I suppose the cheap quality of developer and fixer fluid we use reduces the time they stay looking "fresh".

The funny thing is that when I show these pictures to people now, some of them just won't believe it was me who took them, and just a year ago. They see sepia photos and they immediately assume they've got to be old. Even though if you look more carefully you see modern stuff in the picture.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Mentalizer posted:

The recording industry has a similar problem with magnetic tape. The adhesive used to bond the oxide to the tape backing tends to absorb moisture from the air, weakening the bond between the two. If enough time has passed the adhesive can break down to the point that when you put a tape up on the machine and try to play it you end up with a sticky mess of oxide coating the heads and guides along with a dusty coating all over the deck itself. This is called 'shedding' (for obvious reasons), and is disastrous for both the tape and the machine. Fortunately, unlike with film, you can fix the affected tape(s) by carefully baking them in a convection oven to remove the moisture and return them to playable condition. It's not a perfect fix, and it's certainly not permanent, but you should get one good pass out of the treated tape before it starts shedding all over the place again. You might get more if you're lucky and the tape wasn't too bad to begin with, but one pass is all you need to transfer it to a new tape (or whatever media is being used) which can then be used without fear of destroying the master or damaging the machine.

Aren't magnetic tapes commonly used by large internet companies for data backups, because while they're slow as hell, they last way way longer than discs of any kind, and are a relatively compact way of storing data? I think Google has these huge warehoused of tapes with robots automatically loading/unloading them into a data recorder.

If what you said is true, that sounds like a serious problem for those backup solutions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Iowa is responsible for the allies ending wwii as quickly as it did. You're welcome goons.

Next thursday is liberation day, at least in the Netherlands.

On that day, we celebrate our freedom... and that Canada :canada: freed us from the german occupation. I suppose the USA helped a little bit, but it was mostly Canadian forces.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Dutch mostly like Canada because they took in the Prince and Princess or something.

Well, another thing is, you know how people in the Netherlands and Belgium dress up in blackface for Sinterklaas, the local equivalent of santa claus? The blackface thing had been a tradition before the war, but only in a limited amount, usually Sinterklaas had one blackfaced assistant, in rare cases a couple of them, but no more than that.

So, after the country was liberated in 1945, the Canadian forces noticed the holiday season was coming and decided to throw a party for the liberated Dutch. They looked up Dutch traditions and apparently thought that if Santa having one assistant is cool, having hundreds of them doing acrobatics and stuff in the street is even better. So they got loads of people dressed up in blackface and threw the biggest Sinterklaas party ever.

It's been a tradition ever since to have hundreds of blackface characters with the yearly Sinterklaas parade. So, while we can't blame Canada for introducing blackface, it's because of them that the tradition got as big as it is today. And by now people are like "it's been like this for centuries" and we're having the biggest trouble trying to get rid of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

Is there a PYF Witty/Historical Quote thread somewhere?

"Most historical quotes have been made up in modern times." - Nikola Tesla

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Do you know where the word "laconic" comes from?

That word always confuses me, because in my mother tongue it shifted meaning to 'indifferent'.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The list of contents in that book is quite the sight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trait%C3%A9_des_fardemens

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's that enclave near the south-east of the Dutch Republic?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PiratePing posted:

I'm afraid most of the letters are about pretty mundane stuff: sailors telling about their journey, people inquiring about each other's health, financial talk and random family matters. There are some nice tall tales though, mostly about storms so bad that entire castles and cliffs crumbled into the sea, sinking ALL the ships in the fleet while the writer's ship was at sea in the storm for 8 whole days and lost only 2 men.

Instead, some gossipy grandma talking to her son. I left out a lot because there is way too much gushing about how cute her grandson little Piet is and how posh the neighbour's new carriage is. The letter is basically the 18th century version of your mom meeting an old friend at the supermarket.

What about the cucumbers

What's up with the same letter talking about both ducats and guilders?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lockback posted:

My favorite tidbit about the Rai stones

Is everyone cool with the fact that I still have money, it's just on the bottom of the Ocean? Yeah? Good deal.

The Rai are basically the gold standard of pre-computer bitcoins.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

For the Rai stones we really need to bring Graeber into it. They are a form of currency but what they represent is completely different from the semiotic connections we make with "money". It's essentially an entirely different thing.

Well, at the very least explain what you're talking about, then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Here are some things we associate with money that don't apply to Rai stones:

1) fungibility. I can give you a $100 bill and you can give me a $100 bill and we would still have $100.

2) divisibility. I can give you a $100 bill and you can give me 100 $1 bills and we would still each have $100.

3) universality. With my $100 I can buy shoes, gas, food, whatever I want really. Even things that aren't theoretically on sale can be purchased with my modern money if I can convince the person with the thing I want and this is considered a respectable practice.

Ohhhh... sorry I understood you wrong in the previous post. I thought you were saying the 'Graeber' was another (fictional) unit of currency, probably invented by mr. Graeber, and that was the one with weird properties, much weirder than the Rai stones.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There's an 18th century manuscript in the Danish Royal Library in Copenhagen from a group calling themselves Det elphenbeenske Societet (The Ivory Society). It's a numbered list of about 400 unmarried women of the bourgeoisie, and lists such candid information as whether any dowry or inheritance could be counted upon, their looks & temper, &c.

The compiler of the register is one Hans Barhow, son of a Norwegian priest(!). To my knowledge, nothing else related to the society has been found, in particular it is unknown who were the members. Some historians conclude that Barhow simply created & used the register personally to aid his sexual conquests.

So nothing has changed. There's been an uproar in the media here in the Netherlands lately because some (boys only) frat published a list of supposedly easy-to-get sluts girl students.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

twoday posted:

So this article was recently published about the obscure historical fun fact which I have become obsessed with. Great artwork too!

:getin:

This ended up on the bottom of the last page, but the article has neat stuff on the history of New York. Recommended reading.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:lol:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Serious question: I read about theory/hypothesis that's as follows: ancient humans tried to understand animals on more than an instinctive level - they tried to understand what the animals were thinking. This was an useful skill during hunting so evolution kept it. But this "imagination of another mind" had a side effect. Humans tried to apply it to anything that seemed to be 'alive' in any way. Nature. The sun and stars. The weather. Humans tried to predict them by imagining what those parts of the world were thinking. And sometimes, it even seemed to work. This is how the concept of gods/spirits/whatever was born, and why ancient religions had a god for every single power of nature.

And because the skill to imagine other minds is so incredibly useful, we kept it, and if anything we got better at it. And with it grew our ability to imagine minds where there weren't any. Gods. It's been part of us since the Stone Age, at the least. This explains why so many people believe in the supernatural even now.

How does this theory tie in with the one you are talking about, if at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

But why do his shoes have an extra sole on them? Seems like it would make horseback riding more difficult with shoes like that?

Modern riding boots have proper heels because you keep the front of your feet in the stirrups and the heels prevent your feet from sliding through.

The extra soles in that pictures make the entire shoes flat. I wonder if those could be taken off when they went for a ride. It kinda looks like they just slide off the front.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

To be honest, you shouldn't need the heels on your riding boot if you're riding correctly.

Indeed, it's mostly a safety feature. Over here they won't let you ride with flat-heel shoes because of safety policies. But if you're well-practiced you shouldn't need it. Hell, if you're good enough you don't need stirrups. Or a saddle.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Outside of America Conservatives generally do favor blue. Blame TV for that.

This is not completely accurate. In Europe, the economic left favours red, even the strong conservative elements in the economic left. The economic right favours blue, even the liberal factors in the economic right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Mmm. A scented candle, I assume.

Well, the Candlefish is a type of Smelt.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

No, no. You mean Schindler's.

Edit: A more serious comment - Babylonians were able to count up to 60 in their hands, using the knuckles of four fingers on one hand and the five digits on the other as multiples of 12. That's why there are still some methods of measurement dependent on 60 or subdivisions thereof.

Schindler was the guy who hid jews from the nazis, if I remember the film correctly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

The etymology of "gift" in German is very interesting. Originally, Gift meant... gift, the same thing it means in English. And English maintains the original German meaning of the word. However, now Gift (in German) means "poison", because it was used as a euphemism so often.

In Dutch, gift means, well gift. There's another Dutch word for gifts, the word 'gift' itself is mostly used in the sense of a charity donation.

The Dutch word for poison, toxin and venom is 'gif' without the t. The etymology is the same: a gif is something that's given to someone.

Speaking of which, recently I read somewhere that English is actually the only language that has different words for poison, toxin and venom, or at the very least for poisonous and venomous animals. That's why foreigners like myself always get it wrong.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

But how do you pronounce “gif”?

the 'g' is pronounced like clearing some bad phlegm from your throat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phyzzle posted:

And Western Europe's term comes from the Sanskrit word naranj, a produce of Arabic traders first bringing them from India. Which is odd, because it's "portugal" in Arabic.

Apparently, naranj is used in Arabic specifically for 'a bitter orange', like the oranges they use in curacao and other liqueurs. Then the Portuguese showed up later with the first oranges that didn't taste like rear end, so common oranges are now named after them.

If it looks somewhat like an orange but tastes bitter, it's a grapefruit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Forgotten History of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar
By Han Myung-soo

Chapter 1: A History in Perspective

History as it is taught today covers what are believed to be the most
influential and world-changing events that have ever taken place. The
French Revolution, the Second world war, the independence of the United
States; various great wars, social policies, and catastrophes that have
molded each and every society that we live in today.

But there is one war that is not taught about in schools. Two great empires
that have been forever lost due to the passage of time, human meddling,
and simple bad luck. This book hopes to cover, catalog, and detail
every facet of the greatest conflict to have ever taken place on our planet;
the Finno-Korean Hyper War.

The hyper war fought between the Finnish and Hwan empires brought about change
that readers very often find difficult to believe. It is easy for us to think
of the annihilation of a people when we are taught of the holocaust, or of the
more successful battles between the Spanish Conquistadors and the Aztec empire.
The difference between the Hwans and the Aztecs, though, is that we still remember
the Aztecs. During and after the fall of the Hwan-guk, the Finnish empire set its
sights on the complete destruction of any and all policies, relics, and other
evidence that the Hwan empire had even existed at all. The bloodthirst of Hernando
Cortez pales miserably in the face of the destruction campaign wrought by the use
of the Finnish Empire's ultimate weapons of destruction.

What the reader must understand is that the level at which the Finno-Korean hyper war
changed and shaped the present day is unimaginably great. We are still discovering
various elements of today's society that were left as mere imprints from the existence
of the great empires and their various allies and enemies. Everything from governments to
mere social interaction comes from our forefathers of a forgotten time. Would you
believe that modern Finnish social etiquette is nothing more than the result of an
extremely powerful biological weapon used against their ancestors by the Hwans? Most
fall into doubt and suspicion long before they begin to believe the truth.

So I hope you, the reader, are able to adequately let go of your perception and beliefs
of the modern world, in order to fully understand these greatest of empires. I hope you,
the reader, are among those who fail to accept the reality of this war due to
preconceived notions of history and its evolution. I hope you are ready to learn of the
greatest war to ever shape our every way of life.

Chapter 2

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Jan 22, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously, when I visited Copenhagen a few years ago I was rather... surprised, yeah let's go with surprised... during my casual stroll through a city park to see female students sunbathing completely in the nude.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjV5xnc04m8

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The slang term for the citizens of the Dutch town of Tilburg is still "jug pissers". This is because, from the early 19th century till about the 1960s, the town had a lively clothes and fabrics industry. In order to whiten the newly made cloths, they needed the ammonia from urine. Everyone living in the town did their duty by pissing in jugs, and every morning workers from the cloth factories would go door to door to collect the urine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

Most people don't know this, but Rome still exists.

Some people would claim that the one single continuously existing country that was once the Roman Empire is now the Vatican. If so, they shrunk quite a bit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

During the English civil war, King Charles II found refuge in Bruges, Belgium.

When he was back on the throne in 1666, he expressed his gratitude by giving Bruges a special privilege.

In case your ancient Dutch isn't very good, it says that the people of Bruges are allowed to freely catch fish in English waters with 50 ships, and that this privilege is valid perpetually.

This document surfaced in a Belgian archive back in 1963, and shortly after, a Bruges guy called Victor De Paepe took his fishing ship, "Charles the Second", near the English coast and caught 22 kg of fish before being caught by the Royal Navy. He had informed British authorities ahead of time that he would do this to test the legality of the document, so the British authorities allowed him to wait for the verdict on a £10 bail.

The Belgian government in Brussels had feared the British would just laugh at him, or that he would cause a diplomatic incident. Quite the opposite happened, the Brits took the fact that De Paepe honored this ancient document very seriously. However, several British judges refrained from deciding this case, saying only the House of Lords could decide. Bringing the case before the House of Lords would cost a lot of money, so De Paepe decided to drop it. However, as it turns out, several British lawyers of high standing believed the document WOULD still be valid, and had advised the House of Lords to prevent the case from getting to them, because they would probably have to conclude that the Bruges privilege was still valid.

Recently, with the brexit looming, the British government told the EU that they will start blocking all EU fishing ships from getting near Britain (currently, it seems to be treated as shared EU waters), which would be quite a problem for many fisheries in Belgium and the Netherlands, because they get the majority of their fish from there.

A Flemish minister recently said in a tv show, that while this document in itself won't solve the problem, it wiill be a nice historical fun fact to bring onto the negotiation table when they start talking about a new fishing deal with Britain.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Jul 12, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Corrode posted:

(e.g. by not giving Royal Assent to a bill against the wishes of the government).

This happened in Belgium in 1990, king refused to sign an abortion law. The government then issued a declaration saying the king was unfit for duty and in that case, the constitution says a specific group of politicians can take his place in official matters. The law was signed the next day by the replacements, and the day after that, the government declared that the king was miraculously feeling completely well again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Dutch are more efficient about this.

" His style and title, as appearing in preambles, is: Willem-Alexander, by the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, etc. etc. etc., by which the triple 'etc.' refers to the monarch's many dormant titles. "

It HAS to be three 'etc.'s