Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
One of the methods used to date the writing of Georg Stiernhielm, one of Sweden's earliest-recognized writers in the modernized form of the language, is by his handwriting. The reason we can do this is because he lost an arm in a bar fight. He went on to be the father of Swedish poetry.

Carl Michael Bellman, one of Sweden's most celebrated songwriters, was the founder of the noble Order of Baccus, whose membership requirements were to have lain in the gutter drunk in full view of at least two members of the Order. He spent most of his time drunk, and Gustav III, his patron and King of Sweden, encouraged his behavior.

August Strindberg, the Swedish playwright, briefly suffered from insanity in the 1890s. He moved to Paris, became an alchemist, and had a series of religious revelations. The reason for his breakdown is credited to paranoid delusions - he believed his wife was a tribadist, in a relationship with an alcoholic actress. He was also convinced that all of literary culture in Scandinavia was mocking a loss of virility on his part, so he paid a doctor to observe him sleeping with a prostitute. He names both doctor and prostitute (who, he claimed, could speak highly of his abilities) in a letter to Verner von Heidenstam, future Nobel laureate and member of the Royal Academy. He also corresponded with Nietzsche, who signed his letters to Strindberg "Julius Caesar".

Henrik Ibsen wrote many of his later plays in his study, which had a portrait of his rival, Strindberg. He claimed that he worked best with that mad glower staring him down, and the portrait, Madness Incipient, featured prominently in his play Hedda Gabler.

Georg Brandes, the leader of the Scandinavian Modern Breakthrough, was famed for both his lectures and his numerous, repeated affairs. After breaking it off with Victoria Benedictsson and giving her latest novel a poor review, she killed herself by slitting her throat with a razor in front of a mirror in a hotel. That suicide was the inspiration for the suicide in Strindberg's Miss Julie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

Who loses an arm in a barfight.

To be fair, this bar fight involved swords.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Tias posted:

Don't forget he also had a psychic dwarf jester (named Jeppe), who lived under one of his tables, and would only pop out in the middle of parties when everyone was properly drunk to make prophetic pronouncements!

Or his pet moose, which died after getting drunk and falling down the stairs. At a party.

Also, only Brahe's official nose was gold. He had several extra prosthesis, including a copper one that was much lighter and more comfortable.

Vikings had a wicked sense of humor in their sagas. One of their traditions is witty quips when someone is killed - the most famous of which is Thorgrim's death in Njal's Saga. This shows that the tradition of badass quips in action scenes dates back to the Viking Age.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I do genealogy, and an ancestor hanged himself in police custody in Copenhagen 1881, so I was looking for records on him some time ago. In the police archives, there was a register of suicides & accidental deaths covering 1878–1907. After finding my ancestor, I leafed through it for a while out of morbid fascination and took a picture of this page:

Third from the bottom is Victoria. The two rightmost columns are method (Snitsaar i Halsen = cuts to the neck) and presumed reason (Livslede = life-loathing). Unfortunately the Copenhagen police cases on suicides 1863–1949 have been lost.

Okay, that's drat cool. Mind if I use the picture for some of the materials I keep as a primer to theatre groups performing Miss Julie?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Awesome.

To keep up the cool historical facts: Charles XII of Sweden ran an incredibly disciplined army, predicated on religious faith. The core tenant - and part of the reason they did fairly well in the Great Northern War's early stages - was that only God decided if a man would live or die, and absolute obedience was necessary for the army. To that degree - and to maintain discipline - the punishment for taking the Lord's name in vain was death.

Charles XII was, by legend, supposedly unkillable. It's believed that the bullet that killed him was fired by his own men. Even more fanciful legends say that it was a silver bullet, made from one of the buttons of his coat.

He was a bit of a badass, and is still a contentious figure in Swedish history. Right-wing nationalists have been using him as a rallying figure for well over a hundred years; the most famous feud over him is the disintegrating friendship between Strindberg and Verner von Heidenstam over their disagreement about how to see him. Strindberg thought him a fool, and his play, Charles XII, can be read as a Swedenborgian trip to hell by the king, who may be dead at the beginning of the fifth tableau.

For final weird Scandinavian history facts, the Vasa was a Swedish warship that barely made it out of the harbor before sinking. It was roughly 400 meters from shore when it sank.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Jesus Christ

Yes, you can assume that as a Frenchman in the 1700s, he was Catholic.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of Tarrare stuff is kinda hearsay and he was probably just a regular dude with a weird appetite. Like he didn't actually run around eating garbage cans full of intestines, or fight dogs over roadkill, or eat a toddler, but may have stole and snuck food and whatnot.

edit:

Then again, there was this guy too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Domery

Maybe it was just how people were back then?

Yeah, I’m not commenting on authenticity, just making a terrible joke. As it was indicated that Tararre would eat anything, the immediate response of “Jesus Christ” was then, in a failed attempt at pithy humor, deliberately misinterpreted as a question and linked with the Catholic belief of transubstantiation to indicate that yes, it is likely that he had eaten Jesus Christ according to those circumstances.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

You seem to have a deep knowledge of christian rites and yet you proclaim to be a heathen :raise:

Or I was listening to good folk music and decided that the singular definitive form would make a cool username.

Fun historical fact: did you know that the bagpipes are not uniquely Scottish? Most regions have their own variant of the pipes, including Sweden. The neat fact is that the information we have on traditional bagpipe tunes comes from a single source, because it had nearly died out.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Its kinda funny how americans believe that Europe is a completely hedonistic place where anything goes. If you decided to marry your cousin In Norway it would freak a lot of people of

Counterpoint: Edvard Grieg, one of the chief figures of the Norwegian national identity, married his cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Offler posted:

I came across a Swedish poem from 1660 that was surprisingly vulgar, especially as it was written by a dude with the impossibly aristocratic name George Stiernhielm.

Rough translation by me:

The king's prick we must praise
As it brought us peace and comfort
The queen's pussy we should also honor
As it brought us beloved peace
Were the king without balls
There'd still be shooting from our walls

Now he has tools and wit
Every man looks towards the peace
A French cock and a Spanish oval office
Taught us best how to come to peace
God gave us peace in our time
gently caress may he who wishes

Here is the original Swedish if someone want to look at it or attempt a better translation, mine was quick and dirty. I can't make much sense of the first line of the second paragraph in Swedish, so there's definitely room for improvement.

Kungens basse bör vi prisa
som oss bragte frid och lisa,
drottningens mus bör och ära,
som oss bragte freden kära.
Vore kungar utan ballar
skötes än från våra vallar.

Nu han redskap har och råder
var man sig åt freden gläder,
en fransk kuk och en spansk fitta,
lärd' oss bäst på freden hitta.
Gud gav fred i våra dagar,
knulla må som den behagar.

Makes sense - a lot of the poetry of the era was remarkably vulgar. He’s no Bellman, but ol’ Stiernhielm could get nice and bawdy when he felt like it.

Side note: all of Stiernhielm’s fancy portraits depict him with his left hand forward or his right concealed. The reason? He lost his right hand in a bar fight, and we can date his writings based on the handwriting changes.

His major notable work is Hercules at the Crossroads, which is baroque as gently caress. Had a great seminar in grad school that spent a few weeks going through his work, and always enjoyed it.