Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Phy posted:

Reminds me I still havent finished watching The Terror. Though you don't need a demon polar bear to murder an Arctic expedition, just an incomplete understanding of nutrition in an environment utterly hostile to those who haven't spent their entire lives learning how to live there.

Also it's kind of crazy to me that Endurance, a three-masted tall ship with an auxiliary engine, was built in the very same year as HMS Titanic. Presumably sailing vessels were preferred for exploration duty at the time due to not being utterly dependent on fuel to get out of dodge?

From what I remember that auxiliary engine was almost completely detrimental as it was horribly inefficient, maybe used from a different ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah that sounds about right, I went through a phase where I read a whole bunch of failed arctic expeditions and got them all mixed up. I think the engine was also very large as well as being extremely inefficient.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

The sleeper “roomette” rooms (the smallest rooms two people can lay down and sleep in) on the american long distance trains are not much better

People wonder why train’s are not used more in the USA (this is AMTRAK) btw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chopstix has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Nov 26, 2022

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah man, good news too, you can have an audience with you since the other passenger is directly across from you.

Also, i may be mistaken but I dont think you have a door to your room, only a curtain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Azhais posted:

Even with that I'd consider taking a train other than one tiny issue

So I can spend 120 hours and $2000 round trip with three train swaps to visit my brother, or $1200 and 8.5 hours to fly first class (or like $200 to fly Southwest business class)

And even if you're one of those "but the experience :byodood:" types it's still like 12 hours faster to just drive and experience anything I want on the way

Passenger trains need a ground up rebuild to be useful here

Yeah, I was on the similar boat; I have plenty of leave and time to burn, and I would happily spend it sleeping and being comfortable playing video games if it was way cheaper, but it is not, especially for long distance. It seems more feasible doing something like, d While a viewing car and dining car seems fine, I can’t help but feel like it’s just expenses and additional costs/potential savings gone to waste.

I believe the only real benefits of taking the train and visiting your brother is that #1 you can bring a vehicle on the train #2, I assume it would be easier for a pet (but where would they use the bathroom?). Maybe a moving situation.

Trying to “re-rail” back onto the topic of historical facts, apparently old west trains used “hopper” toilets where they just dumped it onto the tracks, and it is still being done that way in England apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/03/uk-railway-firms-faiil-to-clean-up-waste-dumping-act