Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not like it's gonna be any less effective at preventing a cold, so if you like the taste good news I guess.

I gotta say, after a really hot sweaty day in the field chopping down trees and repairing hurricane damage back a few months, an 8oz airborne drink along with another litre of cool water and a dark chocolate breakfast bar got me right quick back on my feet. I'm not even all that in shape or nothing (i'm unfortunately an office bitch, not really too much opportunity to get out there and do real park ranger stuff in summer) but I was able to hustle along after the fit people after a break and that snack, and even they were pretty impressed. And yesterday after a good 8mile hike, the Airborne tasted pretty nice.

Speaking of Coffee Instant Type Steve1989, what's a good instant coffee? I picked up those Starbucks Via Veranda sticks, quite nice, but those are like 90c a pop. Too rich for my blood. I like the individual packet format, good to keep in the truck and stay fresh, but I'd like something a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

I gotta say, after a really hot sweaty day in the field chopping down trees and repairing hurricane damage back a few months, an 8oz airborne drink along with another litre of cool water and a dark chocolate breakfast bar got me right quick back on my feet. I'm not even all that in shape or nothing (i'm unfortunately an office bitch, not really too much opportunity to get out there and do real park ranger stuff in summer) but I was able to hustle along after the fit people after a break and that snack, and even they were pretty impressed. And yesterday after a good 8mile hike, the Airborne tasted pretty nice.

Speaking of Coffee Instant Type Steve1989, what's a good instant coffee? I picked up those Starbucks Via Veranda sticks, quite nice, but those are like 90c a pop. Too rich for my blood. I like the individual packet format, good to keep in the truck and stay fresh, but I'd like something a bit cheaper.

I’m a huge coffee nerd and I like aldi’s instant coffee when I’m in a hurry; comes in a jar that I’ve had for about a year and haven’t noticed a decline in freshness. If Trader Joe’s has an instant coffee, that’s probably a bit better. The main thing you want is for it to be arabica beans, not robusta, as the later don’t taste as good and the caffeine will overload you and make you irritable.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

This is the saltiest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt:

Creamed chipped beef is actually a condiment. You use it to moisten premade pancakes made hard by sitting in an open hot well for 45 minutes or mix liberally with hot sauce ("standard issue tobasco" if you must, "supply department favor tapatio" if you can, or "smugglers grade Pico Pica" for those capable of planning or subterfuge) and drape across dry unseasoned scrambled eggs and maybe corned beef hash when you only have ten minutes to stand in line chug coffee and eat before first watch.

Did I miss discussion of Hamsters? Hamsters are the best worst food in the Navy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

If you like or don't mind cream and sugar, Trader Joe's sells a box of individual straws of duded-up instant coffee that is tasty and cheaper than dirt--maybe $2 for ten? I usually drink my coffee black, but one of these little babies makes a quick treat now and then. Probably because I have a soft spot for this kind of thing from my trips to Japan.

If you're used to and enjoy Via, though, this is probably garbage in comparison.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They also sell these for like 4 bucks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Do they come in individual packets?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We got some MREs after a hurricane over a decade ago and we got some of the chocolate dairy shakes (later discontinued thanks to salmonella) and god drat they were loving delicious. Better than the stuff you get at grocery stores if I remember right.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hirayuki posted:

If you like or don't mind cream and sugar, Trader Joe's sells a box of individual straws of duded-up instant coffee that is tasty and cheaper than dirt--maybe $2 for ten? I usually drink my coffee black, but one of these little babies makes a quick treat now and then. Probably because I have a soft spot for this kind of thing from my trips to Japan.

If you're used to and enjoy Via, though, this is probably garbage in comparison.

Huh, I'll have to try that. Unfortunately, Trader Joes is all the way across the city.

I'm not used to Via, I usually have 8 o'clock or Comunity coffee in a melita drip. But instant is nice to have when camping, or in my lunch bag at work.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It looks like they're finally ready to mass produce the pizza MRE.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/02/21/its-official-the-pizza-mre-is-back/

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/02/23/pizza-mres-way-troops-next-year.html

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Look forward to seeing them on eBay!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
why would you ever avoid using chemical preservatives in an mre

ladle the chemicals on there, wtf

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bob dobbs is dead posted:

why would you ever avoid using chemical preservatives in an mre

ladle the chemicals on there, wtf

Part of the deal with MREs is the military wants to be able to be made by nearly any major food supplier out there. That's why they distribute the tech needed for them to everyone, but it also means they try to minimize specialty preservatives and the like if it's possible to use something more common and simpler.

They really prefer if they can preserve the food by loving with ph levels and packing methods.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Part of the deal with MREs is the military wants to be able to be made by nearly any major food supplier out there. That's why they distribute the tech needed for them to everyone, but it also means they try to minimize specialty preservatives and the like if it's possible to use something more common and simpler.

They really prefer if they can preserve the food by loving with ph levels and packing methods.

there's like 40 preservatives which have been known for more than 60 years

also rosemary extract is also a specialty chemical

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The pizza has been available for purchase since last month. I eagerly await the reviews from this thread.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Steve 1989's new WW2 Australian Ration is a fuckin TRIP

Part of me says burn it, the other part says lick it.

edit: Haha, "A lot of you are probably wondering, "Oh, why open it, what was the point"..... I'm kinda actually asking myself that same question." He's just sooooo disappointed.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 18, 2018

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

E4C85D38 posted:

The pizza has been available for purchase since last month. I eagerly await the reviews from this thread.

280 Calories from a shameful piece of pizza. Where do the other 1000 calories in the MRE come from?

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

A Loud Fart posted:

280 Calories from a shameful piece of pizza. Where do the other 1000 calories in the MRE come from?

The candy and drink mixes that come with them?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hey, these are my new go-to. I've been having one after lunch at work as a pick-me-up, and it is delightful! I'll need to pick up a few more boxes soon c.c So much for being for emergencies.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, these are my new go-to. I've been having one after lunch at work as a pick-me-up, and it is delightful! I'll need to pick up a few more boxes soon c.c So much for being for emergencies.

If anyone's looking for something that fills a similar role but isn't instant coffee, Walmart's got 10-packs of caffeinated sugar-free drink-mix powder that's portioned for a 500mL bottle and has about 120mg of caffeine. Where I live, they're about $2 a box, and their taste is on par with knock-off Crystal Lite.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Great to hear it! I'd just bought two new boxes myself when I stumbled across another opened and mostly full box buried in my cupboard. I was more :dance: than :doh:.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hirayuki posted:

Great to hear it! I'd just bought two new boxes myself when I stumbled across another opened and mostly full box buried in my cupboard. I was more :dance: than :doh:.

Hey man, I'll take them. It's like 30 minutes out of my way to get to Trader Joe's x.x

Meanwhile, my boyfriend currently lives in walking distance of a trader Joe's and never goes x.x my white girl soul sobs.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 28, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey man, I'll take them. It's like 30 minutes out of my way to get to Trader Joe's x.x

Meanwhile, my boyfriend currently lives in walking distance of a trader Joe's and never goes x.x my white girl soul sobs.

I feel no sorry for you. I don't even have a Trader Joe anywhere within at least a 3 hour drive that I know of.

EDIT: Whoops! I did the research. The closest one is 110 miles away. One way. Did I mention I don't have a car?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 28, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Samizdata posted:

I feel no sorry for you. I don't even have a Trader Joe anywhere within at least a 3 hour drive that I know of.

EDIT: Whoops! I did the research. The closest one is 110 miles away. One way. Did I mention I don't have a car?

Want me to pick you up some next time I go then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Want me to pick you up some next time I go then?

That would be awesome. Although, given the cost of shipping, use me as an excuse to pick up a double helping.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

I feel you. Not a one in our entire, huge, populous county. It's at least 30-40 minutes to any of the three (!) on our outskirts.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

For about 8 years before we moved, my husband worked at Trader Joes. Anything I wanted, with employee discount, delivered nightly. Now we're about 3 hours from the nearest one.

I feel y'alls pain, and then some. :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
no Trader Joe's, no Costco, truly I am in hell.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

no Trader Joe's, no Costco, truly I am in hell.

do you at least have an Asian market?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Nope, nor a CostCo. Not even a Hispanic market/proper bodega. I miss horchata...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a church pretty close by to menlo park but you have to go all the way to sunnyvale for a proper asian mart
sucks

e: thought i was in the geebis costco thread lol

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Nope, nor a CostCo. Not even a Hispanic market/proper bodega. I miss horchata...

:uhaul:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Herr Tog posted:

yeah, and Mexican grocery store also, just a bit of a drive. come on Costco, we need you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Samizdata posted:

Wtf where is this

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
we don't have trader joes over here and now you are all giving me some serious FOMO

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wtf where is this

I live in the Midwest. And NOT a big city, either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Samizdata posted:

I live in the Midwest. And NOT a big city, either.

Move to an actual city man. Doesn't even have to be one of the huge ones for all that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hell, move to the suburbs. There's a Trader Joes in the same strip mall as the Wegmans I shop at.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Hell, move to the suburbs. There's a Trader Joes in the same strip mall as the Wegmans I shop at.

Who needs Trader Joes when you have Wegmans?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My Asian market (phillipino, so a great spread of stuff) is on the way to Trader Joes. Best place to get bulk dried mushrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Herr Tog posted:

East Bay...we have it all; CostCo, Trader Joe's, five different kinds of 'Asian' market (Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese). All of that within an eight-mile radius.

• Locked thread