Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

So the WBS Pens are now 10-1 and undefeated at home. They managed to win tonight's game with a final score of 7-0 against their rival Hershey Bears. I think Pittsburgh has a pretty strong future in the net. I'm also glad I went to this game instead of watching the Pittsburgh game, since I'm happy instead of depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

fits posted:

jarry is cool and good

murray is probably in contention for the YOUNG GUNZ goalie squard with subban/hellebuyck/allen

Yeah, Murray looked pretty good in the NHL preseason. He keeps his calm really well, which is a big thing in a goalie. I'm hoping Jarry started tomorrow, since he looked good in the last game I saw him play, and I don't want them to break Murray by giving him every back to back.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mage, you in Wilkes-Barre? My family has had season tickets for the entire baby pens existence. I'm more of a Dennis Bonvie and Toby Petersen OG though.

Live just north. Got 22 games this season. Team is 11-1 now. Currently on a 10 game streak.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

Another barnburner: Wilkes-Barre trailed Hartford 5-1 after 1, won 7-6 in overtime. 11 straight.

What's funny about that is WBS was on a 3 game strech. I expected them to lose the winning streak from being tired and having to travel after two days at home. I was actually amazed at how they managed to pull this off. That is now two games this past weekend that they have won by scoring 7 goals.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

The WBS Penguins set a franchise record 9 straight home wins. Tomorrow they play the Bears so they better win, because Bears fans are insufferable (even when they lost 7-0 last time)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

WBS keeps setting the franchise record now with 10 straight home wins, still undefeated at home.

Edit: Just found out that Tristan Jarry is the only AHL rookie goaltender without a loss.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 29, 2015

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

The WBS Pens went with the Holiday Sweater for tonight's game

edit: Ugly but good for the team, Jarry gets his first professional shut out, with a final score of 4-0.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 13, 2015

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

For the first time in 16+ years the WBS Penguins have recorder 3 consecutive shutouts.

Edit: Just found out Jarry got hurt after Murray got called up. The Pens play the Marlies on Friday. This could be bad.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 18, 2015

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

oh my god those are ugly-awesome as gently caress :v:

The season ticket holder seasonal nutcracker this year has this uniform on as well. :cool:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

So an ECHL coach and an ECHL goaltender make an AHL team bad as the Pens get shut out in back to back games.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Tristan Jarry's first game played after injury is a 4-2 win. Tom Sestito also came back today. He got a roughing penalty that was part of the reason for the first goal against Jarry.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Clark Donatelli is not an AHL coach. He is using the same terrible system Mike Johnston used in Pittsburgh. They are actually making me regret being a season ticket holder. Boring hockey where your team turtles with a lead (or behind) is terrible.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I went to the game tonight and I can't wait until Pittsburgh can send some of our guys back. Having half the team gone is awful.

I'm just afraid that when the team comes back down they will continue playing boring hockey, and lose their way out of a playoff spot.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

At the WBS Pens game and Carter Rowney just got a hat trick at the end of the second. First time I've seen a hat trick in person.

Edit: here's the shorthanded hat trick goal. https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/706615104775831552?s=09

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

getting a hat trick on a short handed goal is rad as gently caress

Especially when it ends up being the GWG. Also seeing a hat trick in person is pretty :krad:

Edit: WBS gave up 5 goals on 20 shots, were down 5-2 at the start of the third. Then won 6-5 in OT. Hockey is the greatest sport.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 10, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I was at that game tonight. Before it was 5 goals on 20 shots its was 4 on 12 which was pretty :stare: The starting goalie was bad and I pretty much wrote the game off halfway through the second but damned if they didn't pull it off. I was getting a bit nervous when the goalie was still in his crease with two minutes left but they finally got him out with a little over a minute left and scored with 4.1 seconds left.

My section wrote the game off when Foster was announced as the starter. I'm glad I always stay until the end of games I paid to see

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Tom Sestito scored the second empty net goal for the Pens 4-1 win against Hershey. This made Chris Borque Lundqvist the net afterwards.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 20, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Found the goal flip.
https://twitter.com/kyle_mace/status/711381397882200064

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

WBS beats Hershey in OT, take both games in a home and home and take back first in their division. Whatever slows down there chances f playing the Marlies early is good.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

The WBS Pens almost gave up a half dozen odd man rushes tonight but apparently the Binghamton Senators are slow as poo poo because a Pens d-man got back on every single one of them. Final score was 5-0 which was drastically different than the last game I went to, the 6-5 OT comeback on March 9th.

The Sens are in the bottom of the League for a reason. And Zack Stortini got a 5 min boarding major, to the surprise of no one. (It was definitely headhunting, since he hit the guy who scored the 4-0 goal.)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

I think I know how Montreal fans feel. WBS signed a goalie on a PTO, Donatelli refused to play him, so they released him. Jarry had a bad night (because he hasn't had a night off since February) and Donatelli put Foster in for the third. He gave up a goal because he is unable to play the puck. Tom Sestito is getting more minutes than actual good hockey players. More grinders.

On the bright side I think I will only have to buy 2 playoff tickets.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

WBS needs 2 points to clinch. Donatelli is going to coach them out of a playoff spot.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Clark Donatelli needed to coach his team to get 2 points in the last 3 games. He instead coached them to give up 2 hat tricks. What is the longest a team has ever only need 1 win to clinch, and don't do it? I feel like he will set this record.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Last night WBS clinched by beating Hershey. Somehow they continue to only beat Hershey and bad teams. I hope they win today, so I will have at least been to one good game in two weeks.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Penguins gonna lose.

I am happy to say you are wrong. Pens win in overtime and the arena played party hard for the OT winner. Crowd was pretty pumped. (It probably helps that it was the first win at home in like a month.)

Edit: not saying they win the series but this was a great start.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

2nd OT game in the WBS/Providence fame. WBS wins in OT twice. Daniel Sprong got two goals in his second game including the gwg.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Pens sweep in double OT :toot:

Even after blowing the lead in all three games too! Man, I guess I am spending more money on hockey this year. Totally cool with that though!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there a Capgeek-style site listing AHL player salaries? My dad asked how much they typically make and I know some two-way deals pay $125k, but it can't be terribly much.

I found numbers for 2012-13, but figure things have changed.

I found a top 100 AHL free agent list from July of 2015.
http://www.pennlive.com/hersheybears/index.ssf/2015/07/top_100_ahl_free_agents_signin.html

It lists NHL and AHL salaries for a lot of them. I was shocked to find out Conor Sheary was only making 70k in the AHL...and he's on Crosby's wing now. :stare:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone watch the baby pens much? I'm curious to hear what you think about Jake Guentzel... He's on a heck of a run right now.

He just started with the team before the post season. He's having a heck of a run is right though. He looks really good so far, and I'm interested to see how he will do with a full season on the team.

Edit: The Portland Pirates have been sold and are moving to Springfield.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/04/report-ahls-portland-pirates-moving-to-springfield

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 4, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I'm pretty sure that Tom Sestitio is getting more ice time than Daniel Sprong despite the latter being the leading playoff goal scorer. I don't know what the gently caress is with this coach.

*Grit* *Veteran presence* *Wasn't concussed by a cheap shot in game 1*

Also he had an assist on the OT GWG which means Donatelli will just keep playing him.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Tom Kostopoulos signed for another year in WBS, which is pretty cool.

I'm glad. He was really awesome last year.

Now if Toronto could please wake up and beat the poo poo out of Hershey I will be in a better mood about the AHL.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Hockles posted:

In all the years I've gone to and worked Monsters games, I've never seen the Hershey Bears.

I feel bad for you having to see them now. Not sure if their fans will be as bad there as they are when they come to WBS, but if they are they are really lovely.

Good job Monsters, Don't let the team the color of poo poo win.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

cenotaph posted:

My perception, which may be incorrect, is that the Bears have been successful for a very long time and are thought of as a team first and a development program second. They often have a handful of AHL superstars in the squad. Twenty-three conference championships, eleven Calder Cups.

To support your point, their fans HATE Holtby, because he had the audacity to be a good goalie, and get called up to play in the NHL. Whereas in WBS the Twitter and Facebook accounts are all praising Murray for what he's been doing. (Though we have some people who wish Pittsburgh would stop getting injured and calling up half the team all the time.)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/PimaResMendez/status/738410940744376320
This is a really awesome NHL/AHL name combination.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Good job Monsters! Beat the poo poo out of the Bears! Do it for the rest of the league!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Hockles posted:

Game 4 of the Calder Cup Finals is tonight at 7!

Can't watch the game because family is around, but looking at shot totals it looks like Peters is having one of those games again. drat it, I want the Bears to be swept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

I don't care that it's preseason, the WBS Pens beat the Bears so I am happy. (Home opener is next Saturday.)

• Locked thread