Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I'm experimenting! Feel free to give feedback on this attempt at graphic design.

Previously, on Saturday Night Live...

The 12:50 Own Zone is bleeding into the rest of the show a bit.

Yo! Where Jackie Chan At Right Now?

shadok posted:

"We checked with Asia. He not there!"

Fox and Friends is still the only cold open that should ever be done.

Fox and Friends

Kammat posted:

Obama is not a former member of Jodeci.

Leslie Jones is still awesome.

Katz' Deli

Retail Slave posted:

PULLING THE COVERS OVER SOMEONE'S HEAD AND FARTING IS A SIGN OF DISRESPECT IN THIS COUNTRY, MARCO!

In more general news, Jon Rudnitsky acquitted himself better than I expected with the material he was given. He's still a bit of a redundancy with Pete Davidson on the cast, but he didn't pull a Brooks Wheelan. Weekend Update is also finally starting to take advantage of the chemistry between Jost and Che, leaving the segment feeling just slightly more freeform than it's been in recent years, which is nice. In all, it was a solid to great October! Let's hope it keeps -- gently caress me.

This month, on Saturday Night Live...

November 7, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nwNfmkaV_I

Donald Trump is a rich, racist, bigoted, jackass with no filter and a disturbing persistence in the polls. He hosted once before, ages ago, but at that point he was known mostly as a TV figure. To my mind, this is the most crass, calculating hosting decision SNL has ever made, and I legitimately hope it blows up in their faces with a really bad episode. Nothing good can come from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NgsJrrAyM

Well, at least Sia isn't doing the weird leotard girl. I like her music a lot, actually, it's a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of stuff SNL has on, and she's put on some interesting performances on the SNL stage.

November 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVA-VNVuv-Q

Elizabeth Banks is a bit of a Renaissance woman, isn't she? Directing/producing Pitch Perfect, acting all over the goddamn place... She's like a less-hyped Amy Schumer. Kinda. That's a bad analogy. The choice of clip is mostly a lame excuse to plug Moonbeam City, which is a great show and you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KfnGBtVeA

Disclosure is an electronic duo who have put out a fair bit of really neat music, and I'm legitimately surprised to see them on SNL. They're a great choice. If any episode this month is going to be good all around, it's this one, between the host and music.

November 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eN9u5N2Q4

Matthew McConaughey has had a... loving weird trajectory of late. How did the epitome of laidback California dudeishness turn into a prestige drama actor and pretentious-as-gently caress Lincoln pitchman? I'm still kind of flabbergasted by it. If we don't get a sidelong reference to how his season of True Detective was better than the most recent one, it'll be a disappointment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQHsXMglC9A

Okay, look. I'm more than game for complaining about stupid fads, or getting sick of something that's ubiquitous to the point of oversaturation. But so help me God if I hear any complaints about Adele I will be extremely upset. Raw talent like this deserves all the appreciation it can get, and I don't care that I'm throwing out purple prose to say it.

Just because it bears repeating...

gently caress Donald Trump and the horse he's going to be riding in on tomorrow night.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Quotes from Bernie thread

Matey posted:

A better plea to disrupt Trump on SNL, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeAkBl4XMI

If your name doesn't come up at the start, don't worry, you can still watch the rest.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 7, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I'm excited for tonight's show. There's bound to be some manner of poo poo go down.

Tonight's Vintage is Buck Henry / The Band from 1976. Fun fact: This was the last of a run of three episodes to be broadcast from a studio in Brooklyn, as NBC had taken over Studio 8H for their 1976 election coverage. Besides the Mardi Gras special later that same season, these were the only episodes broadcast outside of 8H.

Also, this was one of The Band's final performance. Joining them that night was the SNL Band horns; a month later, they did their farewell concert at Winterland (The Last Waltz,) again joined by the SNL horns.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
In further "How the gently caress is Seeso not turning out to be garbage" news, Seeso is adding the entire unedited back catalog of SNL, minus musical performances that are over a year old, to its service. It's a $3.99/month streaming service that's already gathering a bunch of talent to make shows for it, and $3.99/month is about what I'd pay for something like that as long as the content is good.

pwn can probably speak more to it than I can, but if the promise of unedited episodes comes true, there are going to be some reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally obscure sketches being dusted off soon.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have to get up at 6am on Sunday to go to work but so help me I am going to watch this episode live because if some poo poo goes down I want to be able to say I saw it live. Trump gets booed off stage during his monologue. Sia rips up a picture of Trump or brings on a bunch of immigrant children into the stage during her second performance. One by one cast members walk out of a skit until Trump's the only one left on stage.

none of that is going to happen but I want it to so badly

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mo0 posted:

In further "How the gently caress is Seeso not turning out to be garbage" news, Seeso is adding the entire unedited back catalog of SNL, minus musical performances that are over a year old, to its service. It's a $3.99/month streaming service that's already gathering a bunch of talent to make shows for it, and $3.99/month is about what I'd pay for something like that as long as the content is good.

pwn can probably speak more to it than I can, but if the promise of unedited episodes comes true, there are going to be some reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally obscure sketches being dusted off soon.

SNL minus the musical performances is my dream come true.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I just don't understand why SNL picked him.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just don't understand why SNL picked him.

Ratings.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

lelandjs posted:

I have to get up at 6am on Sunday to go to work but so help me I am going to watch this episode live because if some poo poo goes down I want to be able to say I saw it live. Trump gets booed off stage during his monologue. Sia rips up a picture of Trump or brings on a bunch of immigrant children into the stage during her second performance. One by one cast members walk out of a skit until Trump's the only one left on stage.

none of that is going to happen but I want it to so badly

Don't hold your breath on this one. The cast is too professional to do that.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

Don't hold your breath on this one. The cast is too professional to do that.

I think the word you're looking for is Milquetoast

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
That Gerald Ford "campaign ad" from '76 really throws into sharp relief what they're going to be doing live in an hour. :smith:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wish I could say I'll never watch this episode, but I'm sure as hell not watching it live. I can catch the highlights later.

Bring on Elizabeth Banks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Eh, a lot of the time I've definitely ignored the musical performances, but the early episodes have Devo, Neil Innes, Frank Zappa, a lot of cool stuff.

Plus, really, more than enough time has passed that they really should stop keeping a lid on the Sinead O' Connor footage.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EasyEW posted:

That Gerald Ford "campaign ad" from '76 really throws into sharp relief what they're going to be doing live in an hour. :smith:
Funny enough, there was an AV Club piece this week which touched on not just this theme, but that segment in particular:

quote:

Playing the “not what it used to be” game is as old as the second season of SNL itself, but the idea that the show isn’t as biting politically as it once was has taken center stage in the Trump debate.

If there’s one instance of Michaels making an overt, SNL-sanctioned political stand in those first five years, it’s when, on Weekend Update, Chase set up a new campaign ad for Jimmy Carter—and then rolled a recording of Ford’s speech pardoning Nixon, followed by venerable announcer Don Pardo rather chillingly intoning “Four more years.” Cold, effective, and sort of ballsy, it’s the kind of pointed content that recurred far more often in the imagination of those hoping for SNL to take a stand this week.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
All I want is for someone to dump pig's blood on Trump during the Goodnight.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump's gonna be Bernie isn't he.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Im here for Trump, but I want to know: when do the comedic parts start?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh good Larry's back!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lelandjs posted:

Donald "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Trump's gonna be Bernie isn't he.

owned

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, a lot of the time I've definitely ignored the musical performances, but the early episodes have Devo, Neil Innes, Frank Zappa, a lot of cool stuff.

Plus, really, more than enough time has passed that they really should stop keeping a lid on the Sinead O' Connor footage.

When I was younger I enjoyed the musical guests a lot more, but even currently I enjoy 5 or 6 of the year's musical guests. Off the top of my head, stuff like Ting Tings and Muse made me actually seek out more of their stuff, and the White Stripes back when Mcain hosted. I fully expected to loath Miley Cyrus but I actually kind of liked her performances from last month. And going that far off script like Sinead did, while respectable, isn't the kind of thing you want being acceptable for a live show; too many assholes will want to do their own little protest stunts and my guess is thats why Lorne brings down the hammer on people who do that. Kind of moot in the age of Youtube but whatever.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

lelandjs posted:

Trump's gonna be Bernie isn't he.

Fortunately, the people cast this bit before The Orange Goblin could.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Larry Sanders!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Larry David loving owns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

Larry David loving owns.

NONE OF THE FANCY COINS, I JUST WANT NICKELS AND PENNIES

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

larry david as bernie is amazing.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heh, perfect cut to Leslie there.

Also as someone who went to high school in Vermont with exactly one black guy in the entire school :lol:

(his name wasn't Michael though)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Ahhhhh, you get it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How many times have they ended the cold open without the full 'Live, from New York!' line?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
According to the clock it's both 11:31 and 11:40. I'm sure it means nothing but also hey maybe there's a time delay conspiracy.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

oh god trumpocalypse is nigh

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
AHAHAHA LARRY DAVID GETTIN PAID

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh shiiiiiit.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Woah. Little too serious.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

god bless larry david

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

:allears: Larry David.

he loving owns.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hah I thought that was real for a second.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is where Phil Hartman would've come out :sigh:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh I hate those "PC DOES WHAAAAAAAAAAA" ads so goddam much

30% BETTER GRAPHIX FO YO VIDJAS*

*versus some old-rear end poo poo

blue squares