Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gyges posted:

What about Man of Steel shows Superman as a guy ready for a death cult to worship him?

Did you see the shots from the other trailer of the people in Dia de Los Muertos dress looking at him like a god. It obviously all ties in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Only the fact that if they were going to go with a black Luthor for the first time in the history of the character, you'd think they'd have cast a black voice actor.

Bart Simpson's voice actor is a woman.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

They could always borrow from TDKR some more and have a line about the yellow bat symbol being where the armor was most effective, so when criminals aimed for that they were decreasing the odds of actually hurting him.

That is the only place to aim and reliably hit the target so I hope nobody says that really stupid thing in the movie.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

The characters stating a thing to be true about another character's actions doesn't mean the movie has done a successful job of justifying that assertion. It is very possible for one character to give another undeserved praise because their words are provided to them by writers who want them to say it. Man of Steel does not do a good job of convincing me Jonathan Kent did anything constructive at all, that just gives him credit for it.

If you are going to ignore everything in the movie that goes against your opinion what is the point of discussing it with you?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Pa Kent grows more than corn and barley on his farm if you're itching what I'm scratching.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He says outright that he wants his column to be about the poor people of Gotham. White says no and then Clark does it anyway. Then there are all the times he helps poor people as Superman. I don't think you can say he's become disassociated with poor people.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Fortunately nobody has. But he has moved away from them more than where he was in Man of Steel.

I don't agree. He isn't living that way anymore (but he never had to, just like Bruce Wayne didn't have to in Batman Begins) but he is using his position in the media and his superhero persona to try to help the lower classes. He is doing more for them now than he ever was as a wanderer.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fear gas Batman was rad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

I think "Terraforming" is my favorite Hans Zimmer track out of any movie ever.

That entire OST is really good. I remember the first trailer that came out the music really grabbed me.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope in Justice League he starts to punch Space Satan back into space before thinking better of it and punching somewhere else, with the current space track record.

This is really stupid. He would have thrown Doomsday into the sun if not for the nuke.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It would have worked, except it didn't. Space isn't working out for the guy. :v:

Counterpoint: he came back from his Bizarro form because he was in space.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just like most other criticisms against BvS and MoS yours relies on outside sources, canon. All we know is that Lex isn't going to a facility where he will be let out immediately. Instead he's going to a place where he will actually be punished for his mass murder and where Batman will be able to monitor him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I don't think you need comprehensive knowledge of Batman to recognize that Lex being sent to an Asylum is presented as a terrible thing to Lex. And that this reflects poorly on the films opinion of asylums.

Yeah it's terrible for him because he thought he was going to a hospital and be out in 3 months and is instead going to prison. It really tugs on my heart strings.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

See, you view Superman immediately fighting Doomsday as him being competent, while I see that as a flaw in his character. I doubt he managed to grow up in Nowhere, Kansas without seeing idk, Young Frankenstein or similar Frank's Monster stories. People aren't unworthy of life for the crimes of being ugly and undead.

You cant be this stupid.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Wait, so is the closest they're getting to a show in the south loving Texas? I can't move from here fast enough.

Neither Austin nor Houston is south Texas.

Edit: Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah it sucks that the release is so limited.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 22, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
As has been said thousands of times the scout ship was going to be activated anyway. The fact that you people jump through hoops to ignore this is really weird and sad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Why would Zod terraform earth unless he could rebuild the Kryptonian population which was impossible without Superman's genetic material. That was a necessary part if I recall correctly. So even if Zod visited later, he wouldn't have given it a second glance, right?

There is also the argument that Superman's trust in humanity to decide his fate was an inciting act to terraforming as humanities weakness to fear provided them the necessity to terraform in the first place.

Superman is kind of responsible, but only because of his genetics and strong moral and ethical character. If he'd not been on Earth or decided on his own to attack Zod or leave Earth, the Earth wouldn't have been terraformed.

They were looking for a suitable planet to terraform. Earth would have been altered and exploited for its resources either way.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

This presumes that on the entire universe no planet is as close to kryptonian as Earth is.

Yes, all those other planets suitable to life such as

The movie points out that all the other colonies failed and shows the planets are wastelands. Do you actually watch the movies or just make up lovely criticisms of plot points that don't exist?

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Superman in the Theatrical just didn't connect with me at all. I just didn't see his problem. People don't like you on the TV? Boo hoo? Like, being a hero isn't about getting a reward. It's about doing the right thing. But with the added elements, it's a totally different story. Superman isn't sad that people don't like him. He's sad because people keep loving up. The idea that he could inspire people to be better isn't working, no matter how hard he tries. Both as Superman, and as Clark Kent. It's interesting how much he does care about his job at The Daily Planet because he could, in theory, make a big difference there. But when he keeps finding out how people consider Batman a hero, and all the hosed up and terrible things he does, it pushes him over the edge.
No longer is the "the Bat is dead" scene coming from a place of petty interference. He's legit loving pissed at what this guy is doing and what he represents.

The theatrical cut covers all of this just fine. That you seem to think Superman is seeking some kind of reward is really strange and not supported in the movie at all.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

It clearly didn't cover those just fine for him, and a significant number of critics apparently.

It isn't the movie's fault they didn't watch it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He says Jack.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Systema! Yeah, that's a Russian martial art that, as near as I can tell, was invented by Russian aikidoka who then claimed they had this top secret martial art that had been used by Spetsnaz. It's pretty awful. One thing I learned out of reading about it is that apparently there's a lot of superstition in Russia about psychic powers, which the Systema guys chose to play up. I even heard about one of Fedor Emelianenko's people blaming psychic powers when he lost a fight.

They blamed a witch doctor, not a psychic, when he lost to Bigfoot Silva.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just because Perry knows Clark is Superman doesn't mean his credentials are falsified. That is a weird jump to make.

I don't think he knew though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

It enforces punishment for infringement.

Laughing at this in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

The state defines law and punishes infringements of that law. Isn't having a monopoly on force the basically definition of the state?

I'm not laughing at the concept of the state, I'm laughing at the inherent trust you seem to put in the state to not abuse that power (which it does almost in perpetuity while constantly grasping for more) over good guy Clark Kent who isn't trying to exercise his power over anyone. He isn't overthrowing democratically elected governments in South America, he isn't invading other countries for colonialist reasons. Maybe he should though.

• Locked thread