Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Gyges posted:

You've got to take it as an absolute certainty though.

:golfclap:

Holy gently caress that trailer is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I liked the callback to Excalibur in Superman killing Doomsday by dragging himself up Doomsday's bone lance impaling himself further so he can stab Doomday with Kryptonite Excalibur.

Good, not great movie, suffered a little from Iron Man 2 / ASM 2 syndrome and more false endings than Return of the King, not an instant classic "Oh my god this is the first time they've ever got this right on film" like Man of Steel, but I'll probably be watching this in the theater again.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I was fine with Batman NOT being a detective because Super 9/11 broke his brain. It happened to a lot of people in real life, they stopped thinking and started feeling. Frank Miller, noted creator of The Dark Knight Returns, stopped trying to hide how crazy and racist he was after real-life 9/11. Batman personally experienced a day that was a whole calendar of 9/11s crammed into one, and it ruined his ability to think critically. It's not a coincidence that he was literally spouting the Bush Doctrine in between torturing and indiscriminately killing bad guys.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Gonna see this motherfucker in theaters three more times.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Personally I liked all the references to other Batman and Superman stories that Snyder threw in, but this is also the movie's biggest weakness. Snyder assumes that you won't be lost, because like him you have obsessively read every Batman and Superman comic in continuity and outside of continuity for the past thirty years or so. If you paid ten bucks to post on an Internet forum and argue about comic book movies, that may even be true, but for the majority of moviegoers it wasn't. Having seen this movie for the third time I give it a 9/10, deducting half a point for studio interference muddling the narrative with unnecessary scenes to set up the DCCU Justice League and another half a point for lack of accessibility to the layman, the same reason The Big Lebowski isn't a 10/10 imo.

Batman branding people? That's something Azrael Batman did during Knightfall, when Bruce Wayne wasn't the Batman anymore thanks to Bane breaking him. I don't remember who all he did it to, but in particular I know for a fact he did it to the Tally Man. By the way, like Bruce Wayne in BvS, the Tally Man had a traumatic experience in his childhood and ultimately became the terror that he personally feared. The point of Azbats doing it was to show that he was out of control, that he had gone too far, that he was using the Batman identity as an excuse for inflicting vengeance instead of bringing justice. But obviously Snyder is a dumb fratboy hack that only put that in the movie because he doesn't understand Batman.

It seems to me to be the consensus here and on the various other SA boards that the Flash who gave a cryptic message to Batman possibly in a dream was the DC TV Flash. I wouldn't know, I heard the TV Flash was terrible and I haven't watched it. But my first time seeing the movie, I thought, "that's totally the Flash from Injustice". Now for those of you who don't know, Injustice is a comic created as a tie-in to DC vs Mortal Kombat the premise of which is literally, "what do we have to do to make a version of Superman where he does Mortal Kombat style fatalities punching motherfuckers in half?" That Flash is warning Batman about a timeline where all of Batman's fears about Superman are true, where Superman has set himself up as an immortal God of Earth and kills anybody who resists his rule.

The balcony Batman gets knocked onto in the Doomsday fight? That's the second time in his life Batman has taken an asskicking on that particular balcony and realized that he's out of his depth. The first time was in Batman Year One by noted "traumatized into total and overt psychosis by witnessing 9/11" Batman author Frank Miller.

I can't post sources since there's no legal way to take stills from BvS, but goddamn, I'm pretty sure 99% of the scenes in this movie are from the comics. It's too bad talking about piracy is forbidden, but being smug, snide, and intellectually dishonest isn't. "Did a different opinion invade your safe space?" Jesus Christ on Krypton, jump off a fuckin' bridge if you've got nothing relevant to say.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Every time Superman hits Bizarro The Parasite Zod he glows orange with, I guess, absorbed kinetic energy from Superman's punches and gets more powerful.

If you make a Superman movie and DON'T have Superman punch something really hard, you done hosed up, go back to the drawing board.

Hearing about the deleted scene where Superman turns off his senses because otherwise he would be overwhelmed actually gets me, so to speak, "butt hurt" about what could have been. If it had been me, I would have lost the fish and put that scene in there instead.

You know, I have to mark the gently caress out about the soundtrack, and what they managed with it. Wonder Woman is a high point of the movie for a lot of people. Wonder Woman's fight scene is backed by, not just Hans Zimmer doing his final superhero soundtrack ever, but the freaking Doof Warrior dressed in a conductor's outfit (presumably a leather conductor's outfit with spikes on it) doofing out on a cello. L-L-Leopold! Pretty sure you literally cannot do better than that.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 3, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Doomsday unleashes his Omnidirectional Nuclear Heat Vision Explosion after being nuked the first time, but it clearly shows when Superman is fighting him (especially visible when Superman is trying to punch him into space) wherever Superman hits him glows yellow/orange. It's a lot harder to see when Wonder Woman and Superman are both fighting him because there's so many other fires around, but it definitely happens from Wonder Woman hitting him with both her sword and her shield. I don't remember Doomsday ever growing new spikes as a result of being punched, but he drat sure grows Modred's Bone Lance as a direct response to Wonder Woman lopping his hand off.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

A crazy time traveller showing up in a comic book movie and causing the audience to go "what the gently caress!?" is awesome as hell though. Why is it "bad writing"; even if you don't realize it is the Flash then worst case scenario it's a visual way to show that Batman is a paranoid lunatic. It's the equivalent of an angel appearing to tell some religious loony to purify the heathens.

I would watch Zack Snyder's gritty modern reboot of Frailty.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 3, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty sure Network Pesci was joking, a couple posts prior to that one makes it sound like he enjoyed BvS.

Yes, I was being sarcastic when I said Snyder was a dumb fratboy douchebag. I loved BvS so much that I've paid to see it in the theater three times.

A lot of people didn't like this movie because NOT MY BATMAN but rather than boiling all criticism down to NOT MY BATMAN you could reasonably say, "I didn't care for this movie because it showed a raging out-of-control psychopath that made Tim Burton's Bat-Punisher look calm and reasonable. The Batman I'm familiar with does not shoot people or blow them up, Batman never kills period and this movie showed a Batman that kills. Therefore Snyder doesn't understand Batman." But Snyder does understand Batman. When he shows Batman doing out-of-character stuff, it's for a good reason.

This movie made me feel like the Bud Light-drinking plebian redneck jackoff that I actually am, because there's so many great works of art it's referencing that I miss. One example: Batman and Wonder Woman stand on either side of Superman's body as Lois Lane cradles him crying and there's a pair of crucifixes off to the left. This is obviously a reference to some classic painting, probably some famous Renaissance guy who has a Ninja Turtle named after him. But I don't know which painting it is, because I know more about Ninja Turtles than Renaissance painters. The biggest problem with this movie is that Snyder assumes that I will recognize that painting.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

I've heard this complaint from some of my friends too. Personally, I liked how quickly it escalated because it made the General who called for the nuke come off as trigger happy and still distrustful of Superman. The nuke option could have taken out both combatants and that would benefit the General more than Superman winning.

The President called for nukes, the General was against the nukes but couldn't disobey a direct order from the CoC. The President said something like, "we can nuke them now, they're high enough there won't be any casualties" and the General said, "one casualty sir, Superman."

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Good catch on that other guy MacheteZombie, I did not see that there was two generals.

Ferrinus posted:

BvS isn't parodic in the first place. At best you can say that certain specific lines or gags parody other conventions of superhero movies.

To me it feels like Snyder is taking a lighthearted jab at the source material by adapting a highly-regarded Batman story from Frank Miller and changing it around so that the first half of the movie is Batman's superpowered case of Frank Miller syndrome and the hideous consequences this has for the world. Perry White also gave us a quote about how people don't want to read about The Goddamn Bat-vigilante.

As far as parody of superhero movie conventions, I find it hilarious that this movie has a Congressional hearing on whether Superman should save Lois Lane. Lois is interviewing a warlord and things turn ugly, kaboom Superman saves her. Luthor pushes Lois off a building and whoosh Superman saves her. Lois is drowning in a well, golly, do you think Superman will hear her in time? Of course Superman is going to save Lois Lane. The government has figured out when there's a superhero battle you don't deploy troops or try to shoot them with miniguns and missiles, but they haven't figured out Superman is going to save Lois Lane regardless. "Superman it is the verdict of this committee that you need to get the government's approval before you save people now", yeah, that's worth spending my tax dollars on. I really enjoy this very loose interpretation of The Dark Knight Returns more than the original work, because Snyder's satire is still pointed but much less mean-spirited (or cynical).

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Do you know or care about the difference between Red Son Batman, Injustice Batman, or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Batman? If so you are the target audience for this mainstream action blockbuster. If Kevin Smith has ever told you that you care too much about Superman you will love this movie.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

One time Superman defeated Darkseid by singing at him, so Darkseid is sending dreams to people on Earth to inspire them to build Desing Devices to counter Superman's ability to sing so Superman will have to punch Darkseid really hard or hit him with his own Omega Beams or something.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Is this a reference to any specific painting as well, or just a generic stained glass depiction of an angel clad in red and blue bringing fire and destruction from the heavens?

I can't google a particularly good picture of Zack Snyder's The Thirteenth Station yet but I have no doubt it's a reference to a particular painting.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

I could expand on this and how it carried over in BvS excellently as well, if youre interested.

Please do, this is some first-rate analysis.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I want to know what happened with Lexcorp OS. It's one thing to tease Braniac to mislead people about how Doomsday Bizarro Parasite Zod is going to be your main villain, but what was the point of Lexcorp OS then?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

:agreed:

It made a really nifty noise, too.

I think "Terraforming" is my favorite Hans Zimmer track out of any movie ever.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Hay man, hay, check it out man. Joo ever notice how if you take this pitcher of K Waste and draw glasses on it it sorta looks like SuperMechaGodzilla if yew turn yer head to the right and squint a little bit?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

You really think the military wouldn't have opened that ship (probably by force since they didn't have Clark's key) within a matter of weeks? I'm pretty sure an armor-piercing anti-tank round or maybe a bunker-buster would have damaged the ship enough for it to set off some kind of distress beacon.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDXhoC6DV8

I wish we could have seen this version. I'm happy with what we got, but I think Cranston would have brought a Biblical sort of gravitas to lines like, "now God is good as dead".

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

That said, fun actor, and very adept at sliding between gravitas and comedy, so would be perfect for one of these movies.

As a result of witnessing 9/11, Frank Miller went batshit crazy or at least stopped hiding the monster he'd been inside all along behind a mask of civilization. Zack Snyder adapted one of Miller's greatest works onto the silver screen by having the main character witness Super 9/11 and go batshit crazy and stop hiding etc. At this point I really really want to see what "Zack Snyder Presents Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead" would look like. So I still have a chance of seeing Mad Scientist/Titan of Industry Lex Luthor as played by Brian Cranston except he's gonna be the hero of the story.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Also this is my favorite shot and I'm shocked no one posted it yet.

I still want to know precisely which painting that's an homage to.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Yaws posted:

I hated this movie, I despise the people who made it and I have nothing but contempt for people who enjoyed it.

Yeah, there's nothing in the Ultimate Cut that's gonna change your mind. Why don't you stop making GBS threads up the topic now?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Or he's blatantly trolling the thread (probably while laughing about how up their own asses all CD posters are in GBS) and people keep responding to him. gently caress's sake, remember when LeJackal posted in-character as Lex Luthor for like a month and a half straight in the MoS thread? That was some quality trolling, this is weak poo poo.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

But with the added elements, it's a totally different story. Superman isn't sad that people don't like him. He's sad because people keep loving up. The idea that he could inspire people to be better isn't working, no matter how hard he tries. Both as Superman, and as Clark Kent. It's interesting how much he does care about his job at The Daily Planet because he could, in theory, make a big difference there.

Consider whether Batman may be doing more harm than good or how he disproportionately punishes poor criminals versus rich ones? gently caress that bullshit, get me two thousand words about football scores, Kent!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

LeJackal posted:

I just saw this film the other night, or I would posted sooner. Sometimes it can be tough to get out to a cinema.

Is there anything in specific I should address first?

Would you say that BvS is intended to be propaganda that the audience swallows uncritically, like Watchmen, or propaganda that the audience knows is propaganda and realizes from the start that they are seeing events from the perspective of one side, like 300?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Maybe Clark Kent keeps a Nerf blaster at his desk and tries to get everyone in the office to check out his board game review Youtube channel.

He's a slobbering fanboy who won't stop talking about how his favorite comic book character is the best and is totally so much better than that other comic character guys.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Gee, it's almost like he's here solely to troll fans of the movie and has no interest whatsoever in an intellectually honest discussion of the weaknesses and failing of Batman Vs Superman.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

NOT MY SUPERMAN

MacheteZombie posted:

I figured as much. What was your old username?

Network Pesci. Completely unremarkable whitenoise shitposter who should go back to GBS, now a completely unremarkable whitenoise shitposter who should go back to GBS but apparently with a BvS-themed avatar.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Or the 30-year-old one who trapped a guy to starve to death in a sewer in the interest of national security.

Please note that "KGBeast" is in the movie as the mercenary with a scar who does all the mommy kidnapping flamethrower murdering prison gang bribing type dirty work.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

well why not posted:

Eisenberg is in no way aping Ledger, it's such a stupid meme. This Luthor is spewing out intellect so fast is starts to run together, while that Joker was very paced. Very different.

I liked how Luthor seemed to talk to amuse himself, rather than anyone else. Like when he says 'civilization on the wane, manners out the window.'

"Late, late, said the white rabbit! ... Right, wabbit?"

Not only casting himself as the would-be predator addressing his prey, but going from down-the-rabbit-hole insanity to pure Looney Toons in half a sentence.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Zuckerberg. Luthor created a monster that killed Superman. Zuckerberg created a monster that killed journalism and democracy. Luthor opened a portal to Apokolips and brought back forbidden science, Zuckerberg opened a portal to a dimension where the truth is whatever the loudest and most obnoxious person says it is and brought their standards of truth to our world.

And there's no Justice League to save us.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Just don't make or have a Facebook profile.

I did not make or have a Facebook profile. Literally every single human being I know IRL does, though. Might as well say, "well just don't get a building knocked on you or turned to bloody quarks by omnidirectional nuclear death vision", me saying "well I choose not to participate in Doomsday's rampage" doesn't save me though.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm just saying you are being overly dramatic, and that equating Zuckerberg to a supernatural force is bad. He might be a lying scumbag, but there is still an element of choice there, he didn't just magic a sixth of humanity into joining his lovely website.

I'm equating Zuckerberg to Luthor because he's an evil genius who has created a monster that will destroy humanity unless a comic book superhero saves us. Also because he was played by the guy who plays Luthor. Where do you get "supernatural force" out of that?

Luthor is a lying scumbag, but he didn't magic Batman into believing in the Bush Doctrine or Superman into approaching Batman as a bully, confirming Batman's greatest fears. Luthor manipulated people by appealing to their various prejudices and flaws, and twisting real things that really happened into bullshit to promote hatred and fear. Zuckerberg just created a device that encourages people to do that to themselves and incidentally got rich out of it, heedless of the cost to real people like me that have to live in the bullshit world he's created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Just rewatched Man of Steel. Man, what the gently caress is going on with Zod's arm when he drops the I-beam?

• Locked thread