Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

He absolutely is though. That's part of the interesting thing about the character. Jonathan Kent is a tremendous coward about his own personal life but can still display empathy for others when push comes to shove. It informs almost all the way that Clark acts in the start and middle of MoS.

Jonathan Kent is interesting in that he's a terrible, terrible, terrible person but in a realistic way. He doesn't want to be, he merely is. He is a shithead, he's selfish, he's small-minded, and yet even he can do a good thing. This plays into the quote from All-Star Superman they used. ("join you in the sun" and all of that.) Jonathan Kent represents the petty craptitude of humanity rather than the evil of humanity but can still do good things.

MoS assumes that the default state of humanity is being a terrible, selfish and cruel but that humanity can be something better. BvS kinda muddles it a bit but still holds to the same idea. The superhumans are humans who have become something better. Batman is a human being still but begins his journey towards being something better than human. There's some uncomfortable overman ideals here of course but that's pretty unsurprising about a comic book movie with heavy overtones of godhood.

ImpAtom posted:

Almost every single thing he does. He's terrifed. He spends the entirety of his screentime in MoS terrified. Terrified FOR his son and terrified of his son and terrified of the world and in general just scared. The infamous bus scene isn't him saying "let children die," it's him saying "gently caress, I don't know, I can't deal with this, maybe!!" He pushes his son towards doing the safe thing for himself because he's scared of the consequences and what will happen. Saying he isn't scared and selfish makes no sense to me because of course he is. He's human. MoS assumes the default state of humanity is selfish and cowardly and Superman's power is making them something more.

Edit: Even his death is an act of fear. He's more scared of dealing with the consequences of someone seeing Clark than he is of dying.

Please take a chill pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

"Be their hero, Clark. Be their angel, be their monument, be anything they need you to be...or be none of it. You don't owe this world a thing. You never did."

I don't think you know what objectivism means.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

The problem is that this position does harm to Clark in a different way. Above, Ferrinus scoffs at the idea that Jonathan Kent made Clark unhappy and repressed, and I guess the version of the film he watched just didn't contain those scenes where Clark was unhappy and repressed because he absolutely was. He was an unhappy, depressed child who grew into an unhappy, depressed man, and who can really blame him for handling his eventual role the way he does? By hiding away, by being secretive, by holding himself apart from the world?

That was the correct choice. You're not evaluating the situation rationally, and are focusing on the characters "feeling bad".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

An emotionally-healthy Superman is better-equipped to save the world. We see the ramifications of an emotionally-unhealthy Superman in both MoS and BvS.

Superman is an emotionally healthy Clark Kent. By the point he's become Superman, he's able to balance his desire to act and his father's lessons.

The problem is that you're equating "feeling bad" with emotional abuse. This is essentially a position of privilege, because your argument basically revolves around inhibition being violence against personhood. This is ironically an objectivist principle.

The movie takes a working-class position, where facing hardship is a part of life and not its antithesis. Nerds hate this.

BrianWilly posted:

I've never said that he deliberately traumatized Clark. You should engage with my argument better. He's always wanted the best for his son, but his idea of what's "best" is far from it and instead merely resembles self-interest for the both of them.

Their self-interest is in protecting their lives in a hostile world until it's possible to act fully. This is a good thing. You're not evaluating it rationally, which is why you also keep contradicting your argument that Pa Kent is objectivist. How can they be objectivist if they're acting out of fear and self-repression? The movie presets its own answer: it's a hostile world, and you have to take blows as they come.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 8, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They're nerds. They're going to argue like that for years to come.

It's the clearest proof that these aren't actually bad movies. Nobody argues about bad movies for years, they just move onto something else.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

This isn't even necessarily true in the comics (see: every Elseworlds idea ever), and BvS refutes this position quite soundly anyway. Clark's entire arc in the sequel is about him being unable to balance his desire to act with his father's lessons, as -- lo and behold -- those lessons have not prepared him for the reality of life as a heroic figure.

Superman saves the world in MoS and in BvS. He was pretty prepared. He has his successes and failures, but Pa Kent's teachings made it possible.

quote:

but not what Pa Kent has been teaching him to do. And if the idea is to hide away until the world "is ready" for him, well, that just belies your point of the world being intrinsically hostile in the first place. "It's a hostile world...until you hide out for a bit and maybe someday it won't be. Or maybe you'll be prepared to withstand its hostility at that point thanks to all that hiding you've been doing!"

As for the rest, I'll reiterate that an emotionally-healthy Superman is better-equipped to save the world.

He hid until he was fully aware of who he was and what he had to do. It's a reasonable choice.

quote:

"It's a hostile world...until you hide out for a bit and maybe someday it won't be. Or maybe you'll be prepared to withstand its hostility at that point thanks to all that hiding you've been doing!"

Furthermore, your argument relies on the interpretation of fear and repression as primal, gripping, unconscious emotions, distinct from the rational mind, and thereby antithetical to the objectivist emphasis on self-determination through mindfulness...but Pa Kent's words and actions in MoS undermine your reading. His fears are presented rationally. His plea for Clark's self-repression is deliberate and premeditated. He gives long, lucid, in-depth defenses for both. He's not wrong, as I've repeatedly stated, as his fears stem from an accurate understanding of the Snyderverse for which he is the arbiter. It's not anti-objectivist to be afraid as long as those fears stem from empirical cognitive processes and not the other way around.

Again, that is the correct thing to do. That this is in the "Snyderverse" has nothing to do with it - being set in a fictional universe doesn't change the moral argument in anyway, as fiction comments on reality. Snyder is making a commentary on the real world. People who unsettle the status quo will have the whole world against. With the alien invasion, Clark has a chance to act with humanity. Hiding from danger is not a particularly objectivist position. And he's still able to help people while hiding, although it is difficult - becoming Superman is accepting both his father's lessons and the need to help others.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 8, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's actually perfectly normal for people that they don't mourn a fictional character. Especially when the movie makes clear that he's not really dead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Actually, it's normal they do. Considering how much people lose their poo poo every time a character dies in The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

People take fictional death super seriously now.

That is their problem.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Yeah ok it's not like I expect to weep openly, wailing and gnashing my teeth while building a funeral pyre out of seat cushions alongside my fellow viewers when a character dies. There's a whole range of emotions that a good film can bring about with a big climactic death scene.

Maybe not feeling much of anything at Superman's death is exactly what Snyder was going for. If that's the case then good for him, mission accomplished. In retrospect I can't say that wasn't foreshadowed by Jimmy Olsen's death.

Movies don't need to make people feel sad. All the "emotional" range they need is tension and release. Superman's death is cathartic, so it fulfills that purpose.

Reserve your sentimentality for real people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

The Walking Dead sucks, but people freak out over fictional death.

Like, people with steady jobs and kids and poo poo. Not just emotionally deprived nerds.

That is their problem.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

"So to cap off our two and a half hour Christ allegory, we'll of course end with the savior's sacrifice. What kind of mood do most people associate with the death of Jesus?"

"I dunno, Zack, detached ambivalence?"

"Perfect! Hey is there any way we could add a cartoony horn sound or maybe a slide whistle in there? No? Too much?"

Detached ambivalence is actually the right way to react to the death of Jesus. He is just a man, and his death is both glorious yet disgraceful. Hence "detached ambivalence".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol if you cry at the Bible

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Cinema Discusso: the only film discussion place on the internet where you have to actively defend the idea that films might make you feel things.

No, it's defending the idea that films need to make you feel sad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

That's really not what "reserve your sentimentality for real people" implies.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I should correct myself.

Abandon sentimentality. Follow the ways of the Stoics, and armour yourself in self-control. Emotions are a distraction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

the infamous Martha line: narrative cheats used to preempt the title characters from having to put forward any kind of philosophical argument on their stances.

That line is a philosophical argument.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I just can't get a handle on this character!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Superman: Civil liberties are being trampled on in your city. Good people living in fear.

i don't get it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

So did the film establish that Superman cares about civil liberties? Do people not live in fear of the crazy poo poo superman brought upon the earth? :shrug:

*Superman destroys US military surveillance drone*

What does it mean?! He must be selfish.

lazorexplosion posted:

Do people not live in fear of the crazy poo poo superman brought upon the earth?

That was Zod.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Superman destroys government property, rejecting it's oversight upon him, and his beef with Batman is that Batman considers himself above the law. Yeah OK, I really feel the ideological difference.

You have successfully dodged the question of whether or nor Superman cares about civil liberties (the answer is still yes).

Superman cares about civil liberties because they help and protect people. Batman holds himself above civil liberties because they're obstacles to enforcing justice. Remember Dark Knight?

lazorexplosion posted:

Zod is only on earth because of Superman

So?

lazorexplosion posted:

Zod and Superman settling their differences destroys a city and almost gets the earth destroyed. BvS flat out has an introduction that shows why people fear Superman.

Superman did not "bring crazy poo poo" on Earth. Superman was reacting to that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Where in the film does it show Superman caring about civil liberties. Where.

He tries to stop a vigilante who mutilates people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

Tell that to Zod's snaped neck!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Sure, Superman is concerned with Batman's extrajudicial, violent trampling of criminal's civil liberties. He even trashes the Batmobile, so we know he means business!

He then capitulates almost immediately upon finding out that his mom has been kidnapped, and endorses Batman's position by asking him to go maim and kill some more criminals.

Superman thinks the law is there to help and protect people. This is the idea behind civil liberties. Batman thinks that the law is there to enforce punishment, so that trumps civil liberties.

Once Superman realises he can't persuade Batman to help people (save Martha), he tries to stop him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

What does the Flash turning up add to the film? What does Lois and her investigation add to the film? What does Lois loving around with the spear add to the film? What does Wonder Woman add to the film? If Lex's plan is to get Batman to kill Superman, what's the deal with Doomsday? What's Lex's plan with Doomsday after Superman is dead? What does Doomsday add to the film, other than be shoehorned in for a punchy punchy climax?

I am glad that we've established that the characters have different ideologies that lead them to conflict.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Batman is totally down with helping and protecting people, as shown in Metropolis and rescuing the trafficking victims. He just also punishes criminals while doing so.

Superman's attempts to stop him are half-hearted at best. He does nothing to stop Batman in the act of violence against criminals, he sends Batman to inflict violence on his behalf, and Superman even brutally punishes a criminal himself while rescuing Lois. Whether you agree or not on the question "did Supes kill the terrorist" (he totally did if we're going by show, not tell), body slamming a dude through a wall is right up Bruce's ally.

Batman mutilates people. He is very much concerned with being a nocturnal avenger.

Superman acts half-heartedly because he's being merciful.

lazorexplosion posted:

Is that where we ended up on that? Last I heard, the ideological difference is that Batman has scenes where he acts above the law and that Superman has scenes where he acts above the law. I remember now, there are two scenes where people condemn Superman for acting above the law. There was a black lady character that literally says "he answers no one" of Superman.

Again, they're acting above the law for diametrically opposed reasons, as established. Superman acts above the law to protect it, Batman acts above the law to enforce to the point of brutality.

The conclusion is to save people, brutally.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 18, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

To summarize, Lex knows Superman will turn up to save Lois but has a bunch of men right there right at the time and place where he knows Superman will turn up, men who will incriminate him if they talk and will incriminate even if they don't talk because he gave them traceable equipment for no reason, who will be captured if Superman does turn up, unless Superman turns up slightly too late, doesn't notice the men leaving on motorcycles and doesn't round up and capture them after saving Lois. Lex has the script I guess. This scene is contrived and intensely stupid, it's in an already overstuffed film and the script could easily have been re-written to take it out of the film, but there it is on the screen in all its time-wasting stupid glory. The film is bad.

But when Dark Knight does it it's good

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Eyeroll. I do in fact criticize the contrived poo poo in that film, and many other people do. But at the very least, that films contrivances are required for moving plot and characterization along, so they're just a bit stupid. In BvS you could cut out the Africa scene, have the hearings be about the damage caused by the end of MoS and say, have Lois be investigating what happened to the Kryptonian ship leading her towards Lex. So it's stupid AND pointless, which makes it double stupid and then it's triple stupid because it's a stupid, pointless scene in a film with too many scenes.

Also, Lex isn't afraid of being caught.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I knew it would come to this, people denouncing violence as problematic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm not taking that position, I'm simply arguing that Superman's position in regards to Batman is poorly conveyed at best, and inconsistent or arguably supportive at worst.

He's not telling Batman to stop being Jack Bauer, he's asking him to do it in the name of God, in defense of white women, to enforce the death penalty on the mentally ill, etc. Very Texan, when you think about it that way.

Twisting the content of the movie to be "problematic" is dumb.

"Man of Steel is about Superman fighting foreigners!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I didn't bring Christianity into it, my response was addressing the idea that Batman does not need to face any real repercussions for his crimes due to the Christian concept of forgiveness. This rings false, for it is the duty of Christians to follow the laws of man when they do not conflict with God's law.

From a secular/legal view point, Batman absolutely should be thrown in prison for his many murders and brutal batteries of who knows how many victims.

He said in the thread about a superhero movie

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Like no comic book has ever had a thing made by dark weird experiments turn out to be good or neutral or independent of its origins.

What the gently caress kind of meta-argument is this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

The meta argument that Superman, as a character, would not tend to instantly jump in both fists swinging at something that he doesn't really know. The meta argument that a good writer would not send Superman in both fists swinging, they would have Superman try to reason with the monster, try to avoid violence and destruction, and then only have him resort to that when the former approach fails. Instead BvS just sends Superman in swinging straight of the bat because it's time to start the destruction porn fight sequence.

- A lot of superhero origins are based on lab accidents
- Doomsday was born of a lab accident
- Superman would therefore consider the possibility that Doomsday is a fellow superhero

(Doomsday indeed looks a bit like a NInja Turtle if you squint your eyes)

Your problem is that Superman recognizes danger.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 20, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Superman can both recognize danger and attempt to defuse it without going straight to punch it to death mode. poo poo, fighting is more dangerous, for him and for the bystanders and surrounding area. It's like he learned nothing from the events of Man of Steel. Was that the intention?

Instead of a good old 'we don't have to fight' moment, well deserved and totally appropriate, he goes straight to violence and destruction

You're not really thinking this through. Negotiation would have been equally dangerous for him, the bystanders, and the surrounding area.

Your problem is that there was no empty diplomatic gesture. If there was one, the movie would simply state that diplomacy was impossible. As it is, the movie simply says that there is no room for diplomacy in this situation

lazorexplosion posted:

He understand it's dangerous. So why jump to immediately starting a fight with it?

Because they have evaluated the situation accurately.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why didn't Saint George negotiate with the dragon

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

Hmmm, the dragon had already killed a bunch of people and caused a bunch of destruction and St George knows dragons are of that nature. Doomsday is, at that point, completely unknown to Superman and all it's done is take a swipe at Lex, who is a person who thinks Doomsday is his slave creature which is a pretty good reason for it to want to take a shot at him.

Really, how do you know Superman evaluated the situation correct? What makes you say that?

The previous movie was about Doomsday trying to destroy the world. Superman understands the threat.

Symbolically, Doomsday is an evil Superman, which is why Superman also ends up dying. He destroys himself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

What the gently caress kind of meta argument is that?

Superman recognizes his worse nature, so he recognizes a threat. Pretty simple.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

A common thread between many bad films is that the characters don't consistently try to act in accordance with their characterization, they do stuff because the plot demands that they do it or because the shoehorned in symbolism demands that they do it. This is evident in many places in BvS.

Haven't you just been saying that Superman resorting to violence is in line with his characterization?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

I think the intent was not to characterize Superman that way but the execution :shrug:

You earlier said there was a contrast in ideology between Batman and Superman. Do you think it was intentional to have Batman jump to a conclusion about how Superman is a threat and must be destroyed with violence, and that be framed as bad, and then have Superman jump to a conclusion about how Doomsday is a threat and must be destroyed with violence and that's not even good but so obvious the alternative basically doesn't even need to be considered?

Neither jumps to conclusions. They act rather deliberately based on what they've come to know.

Also, punching Zod was the right thing to do.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Superman is a fighter.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Superman killing doesn't impact the quality of the film, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Doomsday, as an extension of Lex, is the physical manifestation of the destructive capitalism that is unleashed upon the working class. Superman the Christ figure, in his sacrifice, symbolically frees us from the shackles of soulless consumer culture.

That is why you should "Be your own hero!" by purchasing a twelve pack of Batman v Superman themed Dr. Pepper! 100 delicious calories of high fructose corn syrup in every can!

Star Wars, Disney movies, the MCU, the entire comics industry, and anything else with promotional products should never be taken seriously.

• Locked thread