Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

"You're letting him kill Martha" was so goddamn dumb

That got the weirdest reaction of the movie. Awkward, awkward laughter. I get what they were going for, but drat did it not land.

This describes my reaction to the entire movie, pretty much. Marvel makes Subway sandwiches that taste fine. This was an ambitious train wreck that was equal parts glorious and loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Megasabin posted:

If you didn't like the movie because you felt Batman didn't match up with your preconceived notion of what Batman should be, you are a big dumb baby.

Yeah, I heard this general complaint before seeing the movie. Now that I've seen it, that complaint is dumb garbage.

"Batman doesn't kill." Well, this one is unhinged middle-aged Batman. He's like regular Batman in that he's an insane manchild defined by trauma. But now he's in his 40's and doesn't give a poo poo about anything that isn't punching. I'm fine with that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

CottonWolf posted:

Clark isn't in any sense objectivist or even the Judeo-Christian god-figure the films points at, he's more like the Greek or Roman gods, just a person but bigger. I think the film is openly ambivalent about that concept even at the end, it reaches an ending by dodging the question rather than expressing an opinion.

I most definitely view this version of Superman as Judeo-Christian, in the essentially Christian humanist terms of Last Temptation. Beyond the obviously messianic and disruptive nature of his abilities, the film routinely comments on the tension between his sense of duty to the world and his human interests and attachments ("you don't owe this world a thing," and what-not.) Clark's inner conflict is essentially the same as Jesus' in that particular story. Moments like the fire rescue in Mexico feel really uncomfortable not just because of some cosmic horror at the thought of a living God, but because Clark himself seems really uncomfortable with that association...the divine implications of his powers are at odds with his expressed sense of identity, which is quite humble and human.

His entire conflict with Batman falls apart upon that realization. Batman doesn't back down because he's convinced of Superman's inherent goodness, but because he's convinced of his essential humanity. His construction of Superman as some inscrutable force collapses when he realizes he's a son who fears for his mother's life. Of course, despite that humanizing reality, Supes still martyrs himself. A spear is involved, he winds up in a Pieta pose, etc. If it was Willem Dafoe, it'd be a pretty similar movie.

• Locked thread