Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PiedPiper posted:

The best scene in Man of Steel is when Clark just sips his beer and watches football.

It totally was and I hope we get more scenes of "Clark Kent, Just a Guy" in BvS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Posting screenshots in a thread about movies? *fffffaaaaarrrrttttt*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

There was a comment in the comic book movie thread at one point about how appropriate it was that Superman is beside, not in front of, the sun in Man of Steel. I'm curious how the movie is going to treat this change.

I am too, especially in light of Ma Kent's dialogue from the full trailer. The degree to which Superman may be encouraging the perception of godhood with his "style" of heroism (however unwittingly and probably unintentionally) is going to be a big point of interest here, I think.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Frank Miller himself kind of negated that in The Dark Knight Strikes Again where he revealed that Superman was coerced into working for the government by Luthor and Braniac.

More evidence that terrible sequels can in fact retroactively ruin something good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Everyone thinking Lex Luthor is racist because he's a bald white man who hates a black superhero is just perfect.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If renouncing your citizenship isn't taking a stance on an issue then I don't know what the hell is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

He'll have a heck of a time finding this "actual Superman comic," which is a nine-page side story from a fill-in writer featured in one issue that never has any effect on any other stories whatsoever and has never been brought up again, set in an incarnation of the universe that no longer exists.

If it has even an indirect effect on the presentation of the character in this film it'll have more impact on Superman's cultural cachet than decades' worth of "relevant" comics. Sorry.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Health care, gun control, immigrant demographics and capital punishment are common sense issues that have never been controversial, divisive or politicized in American discourse, gotcha.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Heid the Ball posted:

Are we getting Wonder Woman & Aquaman in this movie too?

According to the trailer and cast announcement, yes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

What does "Grokked" actually mean?

Looks like somebody never grokked Heinlein's hippie free love phase.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just to be clear, the cycle of violence is the bike that Dredd rides, right?

I imagine he loses quite a few of them in his line of work so it's probably accurate to say that many criminals Dredd kills end another Cycle of Violence :rock:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Probated people can still send PMs? For those 100,000 hour probations it must be like getting messages from the afterlife.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

I don't mean to play favorites, but gently caress I can't deny the work of Snyder/Fong. The visual aesthetic of that short clip alone trumps everything I saw in the Civil War trailer.

If BvS doesn't feature a single dull gray parking garage or field of flat rooftops I will only be too happy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman is scary because you can't delude yourself into thinking that someday you could have his kind of power like you can Batman's or Lex Luthor's. He's not existentially terrifying because of the extraordinary nature of his abilities, but the mundane reality they force you to confront: no, you aren't actually ever getting super-bottomless-pockets and high-society-white-privilege-vision, either.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Can anyone make out what Lex says right after "Do you know what the greatest lie in the world is, Senator? That power can be--" something I can't make out after repeating it for three minutes straight.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

computer parts posted:

He's a terrible character though who is most notable for killing Superman and completely misrepresenting the concept of evolution.

Doomsday represents evolution just fine!

Lamarckian evolution.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I for one will lament the lost opportunity to mine the classic themes of the original Death of Superman saga, "killing time until we can sync the wedding of Lois and Clark to a multimedia event" and "we're running out of ideas, why not kill Superman for a while?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

computer parts posted:

I never really got the backlash in the first place, although I also haven't seen the Daredevil movie.

That's it, really. It's all Daredevil, which he himself has admitted was a bad fit in retrospect (not that anyone could've elevated that terrible script and direction very much higher, really).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One of the suggested videos I got from that one is the MoS Smallville fight. Full circle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wouldn't that be Lana since she's a redhead? And this is Silver Age Superman, far be it from him to cheat with his superpowers even in costume.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toady posted:

Superman Returns was praised when it came out

Uhhhh not quite.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VJeff posted:

Isn't the actual reason "Because that's how it worked in Dark Knight Returns"?

The actual reason's in the trailers if you can put two and two together.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kevin Conroy weighs in on the hot debate of 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUciIFrxHW4

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Batham posted:

Clickbait bullshit by nerds shouting :qq: NOT MY BATMAN :qq:

Man, if Batman 1989 was released this year comic book fans would shout that it's the worst thing since Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkebn0-iG3k&t=149s

Don't forget Batman straight murdered people in Batman Returns. Heresy!

E: I mean murdered. Premeditated action leading to death, far beyond what could ever be argued what was necessary to stop the commission of a crime in progress or self-defense, with a smile.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 23, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I genuinely believe this kind of parody would go over really well with marvel fans. It makes MoS's point without being excessively grim, and could make for absolutely hilarious scenes. Of course, every idea sounds great until it's acted upon.

It sounds like this is already what happens, with the "thank god it's an abandoned building!" interjections acting like anime-style "he was sent to another dimension!" obtuse covers for sensitive children.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If God Himself doesn't part the skies and piss liquid gold into your studio's Olympic-sized swimming pool by Monday after opening weekend, your movie ain't poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Critics are a good barometer (though they are not by any means perfect) of how the movie will be seen by the culture at large, at least during its initial run.

http://minimaxir.com/2016/01/movie-revenue-ratings/

Perhaps not.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

:colbert: it was even a response post to the same post

Aw poo poo I really wanted to nail someone with that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not like those parts of those other movies where Batman kills people aren't the most hotly debated and controversial elements of all those movies, or anything.

Oh wait.

They really aren't these days, when was the last time you heard a "hot debate" about Batman '89? Also don't spoil irrelevant poo poo in a thread about an opening-weekend movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

If Zod were present mentally in some capacity, why would it attack Lex first? Zod's motivation against Superman is absolute because he killed off the remnants of the Kryptonian species.

Rage at being resurrected as a grotesque abomination by one of the very sub-kryptonian things that Kal-El loves so much?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Superman then forces him to marry a gorilla. Later, it turns out it was a crucial part of Supermans plan and the only thing that saved the world from Darkseid.

All of Snyder's efforts are a long con to prime us for the return of the Silver Age in 2020.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

computer parts posted:

When he tells Batman to cut it out with the extrajudicial violence.

Yes but he didn't say the words "civil liberties" in dialog while doing it, so it doesn't count. What a piece of poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

computer parts posted:

The point is that Batman was fundamentally broken before, but he was redeemed. It's incredibly optimistic.

But there aren't 12 quips a minute and people actually get hurt sometimes, it's so DARK AND GRITTY.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lazorexplosion posted:

It's kind of funny how underwhelming the establishment of Doomsday is. It's basically like, ok here's the 3rd act fight now, commence fighting. I guess the only reason I can be sure it's an actual evil threat is because it turns up in the 3rd act, is ugly and is called Doomsday. All it really did is take a swipe at Lex, and honestly who could blame it. And then everyone instantly knows they should beat its rear end because that's what the script says. Incoming 'not my Superman trigger warning' but my Superman would totally try to talk to it at first :smuggo:.

You need a diaper change, not a trigger warning.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kurzon posted:

That's fine. I didn't think it was outright unwatchable. I actually enjoyed the first half. But this is a movie that I came to hate more and more the more I thought about it. The more I think about the story problems and what this movie could have been, I get ever angrier. Come back to us in two or three weeks and tell us what you think then.

What will your response be if he comes back and says he still likes it, or likes it even more? What will you think of yourself if, after a few more weeks, you come around on it?? :ohdear:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He recognised Diana Prince in the old photo and sent her an email confirming that he knew it was her photo

For one thing, it's a hundred-year-old faded and weathered photograph of her not dressed anything like he's seen before in person. But silly nitpicking aside:

"Is she with you?" (Is she a powerfully-armored, highly skilled human combatant like yourself?)
"I thought she was with you." (She seems like an incredibly powerful otherworldly being like you.)

The answer of course being that she's literally neither but symbolically both, and their question leads from a false premise because she's not with anyone; in fact, she's come to their rescue. Her position between and in front of them as they brace for battle is one of the most perfect shots in a superhero movie ever -- the union of god and man, leading the charge against this false god abomination.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

The Snyder fanboyism has gotten to the point where any suggestions for improvement are being brushed off as "fanfic." Which, I suppose, is kind of fitting insofar that a good cinematic Batman vs Superman fight does, indeed, still only exist within the realm of fantasy and not reality.

I'm surprised they have internet service that far out on the edge.

e- fanboyism: many posts from various people detailing their broad and deep appreciation for the directorial decisions displayed in this and other movies.

Not fanboyism: misunderstanding the source material this movie is based on and then demanding it hew closer to this warped view via more action sequences with no artistic or storytelling value.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 26, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Y Kant Ozma Iceskate Uphill

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Really hosed-up life, though. And in Man of Steel we see the World Engine on a colony that has since failed. I took the conversion of Earth's biosphere as being the ingredient that would make something more permanent.

That's absolutely correct. It's not the Genesis Device from Star Trek, it needs a planet already fairly close to Krypton in physical and biological characteristics to work. People are just being too (deliberately?) obtuse to put together some pretty clear context clues.

This is why many movies end up with brick-to-the-face obvious expository dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

Interesting too that when he's sending baby Kal, Jor El describes us just as an "intelligent simian population" and when Lara expresses worry about Kal being harmed he says "how?" Then after existing only as a piece of jewelry for 33 years, Jor El talks to Clark about embodying the best of both worlds. Not sure where Jor got this new information about humanity's culture and potential.

The ship key contains a literally imaginary version of Jor-El, and as it goes for most orphaned children, Kal's imaginary dad is better than the real one.

• Locked thread