Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

In my case, because "murder" is more fun to say or type.

Murder is the unlawful killing of one human being by another. Neither Superman nor Zod are human beings, therefore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Heavy Metal is highbrow?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In the context of the 80s? I think you could make a case for it.

I mean, if you can't see a direct line from Heavy Metal to Vertigo I don't know what to tell you.

Then it must have gone downhill over the course of less than a decade, because I've got three issues from back in '95 and it's pretty much just tits and stoner philosophy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, it did. Although it was always a mag for late teens/early twenties nerdmen.

I mean, was the magazine leagues classier than the 1981 film?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I agree with all that. The "emo superman" complaints ring very hollow for me. But I was still incredibly bored throughout, and I'm not smart enough figure out why I was bored. :( I only took one film class in college but I majored in English lit, so I can analyze it from a story/character perspective and I don't have any real complaints, but I was just so bored. And I love Kubrick, Kurosawa (my favorite film of all time is Seven Samurai), and Welles (even his "bad ones"), but I just wanted to go do the dishes most of the time I was watching MoS.

Personally, and this is my entirely subjective opinion, I thought that Man of Steel didn't really establish its characters as people. To me, at least. When I think back on that movie, the images of Superman I remember are him looking pained with some obvious symbolism going on in the background. Lois, Perry, Martha...they barely register at all. I feel like Man of Steel trades in on a lot of imagery and symbolism, but ends up telling a story that feels oddly empty and clinical. Obviously what you're looking for in a movie will have an enormous impact on what you take away from it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Whoever said it earlier, they were right. I don't know why I bothered to come into this thread again. I just flat out don't watch movies or think the same way you guys do. So I kill discussions. Hey, fair enough.

So if you excuse me, I'm gonna go make out with my Superwaifu pillow.

Pretty sure I gave you the same advice in the Star Wars thread, but the second reading or posting in a thread starts detracting from your net personal happiness, just stop. Opinions on the Internet aren't worth getting even a little bit upset over.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hat Thoughts posted:

Actually, he's most like *searches thru mind to think of an obscure historical figure* Adolf Hitler

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darko posted:

"Season 4," when they switched animation styles, also had some of the hands down best episodes of the series, as they spread out the storytelling style along with the art. The older episodes are what don't age as well (like 2 standouts in every season), and while hand painted animation is appreciated, only a few episodes like P2 of Clayface 1 and On Leather Wings actually have impressive animation - while half of S4 holds up, and around half of JLU.

I remember watching season 4 of Batman: The Animated Series and finding it oddly...bleak, subtextually. Like, yeah, he's got cool new teen sidekicks...but he drove Dick away. Was it because Dick got old enough to question him, so Batman replaced him with a couple of impressionable kids who would worship him unquestioningly? And, of course, Batman Beyond tells us that Batman's having a highly inappropriate relationship with Barbara at the time, having stolen her from Dick, was what caused the rift. And I know Kevin Conroy not using the Bruce Wayne voice was a studio choice, but it also gave the impression that Batman had sunk so far into his delusion that maintaining the Bruce Wayne facade barely mattered to him, anymore. And I remember quite a few stories that involved Batman's villains being pathetic, broken, and washed up by that point. Like, Joker's flat broke and Killer Croc's having a dysfunctional relationship with a former child star in a sewer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

But how was inadvertently summoning some evil dude he didn't know existed using technology he has no idea how to operate a "mistake"

I mean...generally speaking, trying to operate potentially dangerous machinery without proper training is frowned on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What If Rembrandt Painted In Colour?

The irony is that he did. He just didn't know how to properly mix his paints, so they're all slowly degrading. They originally were probably much brighter and vivid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

Do you have an article about this? My quick googling is failing me and it's an interesting topic I'd like to know more about.

I don't have any articles, although apparently there's a book named Rembrand's Eyes that goes into quite paintstaking detail about his process. It's just one of those things you're taught in art history classes. All paintings degrade, particularly red and yellow pigment, and back in the day all artists would have mixed their own paints (or had their assistants do it). The common idea held is that Rembrandt used different pigments than most of his contemporaries, and they faded and darkened much more.

• Locked thread