Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta say that my favorite episode is when Mark befriends the neo-Nazi. It even has Super Hans smoking crack!

Steve2911 posted:

I very much doubt there'll be a definitive "ending", good or bad.

They'll probably end up exactly where they started. Which in itself is sad enough.
One of them said that there will be no happy ending for the two. Burning the last bridges of their friendship is the most fitting end, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jerry was lame even when he was getting dragged away in his own sleeping bag. Good riddance, loser.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't think Series 8 was awful, but there weren't as many iconic moments in it compared to other series. Jez taking up life coaching was my favorite recurring theme.

I'm also partial to the throwaway gag in the last Series 8 episode where Mark distracts himself from Jeremy by announcing that the cover of the magazine that he's about to read has an interview with the then-new coach of the U.S. men's soccer team Jurgen Klinsmann. Three years later, we're seeing the end of both Peep Show and (God willing) Klinsmann's tenure as coach.

Seriously, a scoreless draw against Trinidad & Tobago? gently caress off already.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dobby went punk and bagged a Brooklyn hipster caricature that beat the poo poo out of Mark. Good for her! I hope it lasts.

Great episode all around.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taear posted:

And her 'American' boyfriend's accent was a bit poo - but he is from Northern Ireland!
Hollywood actors from Commonwealth countries imitating American accents seem more common than actual American actors. Why not do the same thing across the Atlantic?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I love how Mark completely disintegrated with one small, inoffensive phone call. One second hes going along with Jez's idea and the second hes having a full mental breakdown.
That's also when the episode started to go off the rails/all-out awesome.

One thing that got me was the "don't cross the streams" reference when they already referred to Ghostbusters before. It's the little things.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of which, how did Super Hans escape that cult that he joined at the end of Series 5? I know it's not important to the show in the grand scheme of things, but cult compounds are usually very protected against people who want to leave.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 28, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Al2001 posted:

Yep, Mark prides himself on his rationality but in reality it disappears any time he's under stress, or thinks he's found 'the one'
The beauty of Mark is that people describe his character as "rational" or "calculating" or any other word that implies that he isn't just an egotistical blowhard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The end was sorta underwhelming. I guess they wanted to wrap up the Mark/April and Threeism plots quickly.

I did like Jeremy's life coaching session that went wrong, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope the bag of coke is now a reoccurring object until the end of the show. If the final shot isn't of Mark with a nosebleed, I'll be disappointed.
Chekov's Cocaine

EL BROMANCE posted:

That would be perfectly Peep Show, because they'd both be as miserable as when they started.
They did say that there would be no happy ending for Mark and Jez, but that can mean practically anything. Even preserving the status quo would fit that description.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I recommended Peep Show to my cousin. He says that he doesn't appreciate cringeworthy moments on TV shows the first time he sees them. With that in mind, I refrained from telling him that there is a moment where one of the characters eats a dog.

Rabelais D posted:

I consider myself a true connoisseur of peep show and this series is already clearly superior to series 8 in every way
There were less memorable moments and lower stakes in Series 8, but Peep Show when it's off its game is still pretty drat good. This series is making a lot more hay out of Jeremy's life coaching gig and is funnier. The more I think about the end of that latest episode, though, the more I don't like it. I know there are only six episodes per series, but taking away April from Mark and the Threeism away from Jeremy felt really rushed all the same. Still, this has been a net positive, and Jez's best man speech is classic.

This AV Club article about "Flagpole Sitta" isn't exclusively about Peep Show, but I like to think it's a major reason why the song endures in pop culture.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think it was better than the last episode. Wish there was more of a payoff with the escaped snake, though. How is Sophie not dead?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

massive spider posted:

Christ, gently caress sophie.
She's such a miserable person. I ask why she isn't dead yet because the way she drinks, it's a miracle that she hasn't slipped into a coma.

And while this has nothing to do with her character, she's someone you can point to when people want an example of ugly actors/actresses on British TV. I don't watch enough of those shows outside of Peep Show, but it's apparently enough of an established trope that people make jokes about it. Kinda telling that one of the two good-looking recurring objects of affection on this show is American (the other one is April).

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 10, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

echinopsis posted:

David Mitchell is leagues uglier anyone but no one makes a big deal of out that
Oh he looks awful too, and it's not just women on British TV who fit that trope. Should have specified.

It's hard to watch the sexy parts of the show when Mark is involved in them. He's just so... bleh. Both inside and out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The two episodes that I'll show to people who want to get into Peep Show are Jeremy Makes It (aka Mark Befriends a Neo-Nazi) and Vacation... although that one might backfire due to the whole dog eating thing. After that, Wedding is where it's at.

I told my cousin that he'd love this show, but he said he's not a fan of cringe humor the first time around. Boy is he in for some awkward viewing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

8raz posted:

I've seen the last episode and it was pretty good but you wouldn't know it's the last ever ep if you didn't know. It just feels like any of the other "season" finales which I think is probably a good thing.
So it's like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the true series finale that debuted on Adult Swim's website? I think that's for the best. Peep Show doesn't seem like it should go out with a big, heartfelt goodbye. Just have things go to the status quo, same as it always has been. I do sorta hope that Mark and Sophie get together. Misery loves company, after all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Considering how abysmal other attempts at bringing British comedies across the pond have turned out, it's a miracle that the American version of The Office was as good as it was. I didn't even know there was an American Peep Show attempt, but I did know that there was one for The IT Crowd, and it was just as awful. That's in addition to the other shows people have posted here.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 14, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A lot of funny moments, a final "gently caress you" from Jeff, Jeremy ruining Mark's life, a ridiculous plot to win affection from a woman, said plan backfiring with everyone involved losing the people they love, and finally a moment where Mark and Jez discuss killing each other.

A perfect send-off, if you ask me. Godspeed, El Dude Bros.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sinking belle posted:

Ever since the finale I've been binging on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Gotta get my oh-god-this-is-horrible-I-can't-watch-this comedy fix and so far it's the only thing that satisfies that urge.
I've compared Peep Show to Curb several times, since the average episode of both shows involves a plot with various pieces that come together during the last minute which result in things blowing up in the main character's face. I'm only halfway through the second season but it feels so familiar from episode to episode that it feels like I'm revisiting it.

Lampsacus posted:

And Review. Which is an unknown gem.
Calling it an "unknown gem" doesn't do much for my confidence in a third season. That's a shame, because the second season is one of the finest seasons of TV that I've watched.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 26, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Series 9 did a better job with Jeremy's life coaching scheme than Series 8. I wouldn't say 8 is bad, because Peep Show is (IMO) varying degrees of good, but it's not at the top of its game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jez is unlikable because he's a lazy mooch with no aim in life. Mark is unlikable because he's a pompous jackass and thinks he's smarter and better than he actually is. So in terms of who's "better" I'll say it's Jez.

Sophie strikes me as more of a tragic character than an unlikable one. After getting jilted by Mark, her life fell apart to the point where she's completely sloshed at a children's play place.

• Locked thread