Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sefal posted:

I've been using qbittorrent ever since Utorrent went to poo poo.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I spotted this at work once, years ago:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Why is the de-facto argument of people who don't care about privacy, "I have nothing to hide"? It's the most tiring conversation to have since literally ever.

Because they are unthinking and/or stupid.
Usually the best answer is to show them something they should have hidden, but that takes effort and is probably illegal in a lot of examples.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Uh, stupid question for someone who's not familiar with the issues, why is being acquired by Cisco bad, aside from "giant company acquires another good, small company and ruins it"?
We just switched to Duo and F5 BigIP for VPN where I work, so this may be relevant to me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sounds like Cisco is a fine example of business know-how. By which I mean a bunch of money grubbing assholes who aren't particularly good at what they purport to do.
Guess they're really good at kickbacks and free lunches, 'cuz I see they're poo poo all over the place.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, that gives me the context for yesterday's XKCD:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gee, I wonder why I keep seeing all those reports of “we need nurses, not enough people are going into nursing!” Could it be because you keep making GBS threads on them and not paying them properly?
Holy poo poo on requiring a personal laptop to be used, much less with patient info. What if she didn’t have a laptop at all?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai posted:

After I reached out to a few members of illmob asking about their comments, and Genovese, the admins kicked me out of the group.

What a bunch of children. It's hilarious how they accuse everyone else of being thin-skinned and butthurt, but can't take any questioning themselves. Can't have any dissent in their circle-jerk echo chamber.
Dammit, I want more women in IT, you assholes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wyoak posted:

Here's the deets, it's a decent read:
https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

1Password7 is....disappointing

Well, poo poo. And that was one of the recommended good ones. Also, I’m using it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

So umm... apparently my parents were told today that the reason their DSL wasn't working according to their ISP, incredibly awful provider but their only option, was that I'd changed the login password on the modem/router hybrid they were provided when it was set up from the default, and if that's changed they can't update the firmware on the modems.

I can't think of a single explanation for this that isn't unspeakably awful.

I had AT&T U-verse and can say that they used custom firmware on 2-wire routers (in my case) and would update just whenever. It also didn’t have features they the model of router should have. However, there was no problem with me changing the login to my own, so I’ve no idea what your parents’ provider is doing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Our password policy, and my previous company‘s forbade the previous 6 passwords, and AD enforced it, but I have no idea how AD does it, as I am just a lowly computer toucher.
Which policy, I might add, just results in the same password + a number being used, and the number just iterates until it gets to “6” in our case, and going back to “1”.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

I've wondered for quite a while why it's still a thing or why it ever was. I haven't yet come up with a single case where having a different application be able to pop up and steal focus from what you're currently interacting with is the best way to achieve something. I definitely agree that at minimum it should be a permission-gated thing that defaults to no, but I'd rather it just not be a thing at all.

While we're asking for impossible Windows features, why is it, in the Year Of Our Lord 2019, in the age of at-least-1080p displays, Microsoft cannot make loving properties sheets larger than a postage stamp, or resizable at all?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lain Iwakura posted:

You're talking to me. ;)

That said, my complaint is that Trend Micro's response was really loving lovely. There are countless women who have to deal with men who want to abuse and harass them via their mobile devices and computers. I've had too many women come to me telling me that their ex-partners are reading their e-mails and there has been at least two cases where it was due to these sort of stalking apps being installed.

All this despite them running anti-virus.

https://twitter.com/Cyber_Cox/status/1159286034229686272

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

Isn't it per-household?

And $16 a month for everything BBC isn't outrageous.

Wikipedia posted:

As of April 2019, the licence fee is £154.50 for a colour and £52.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

edit: A television licence is required for each household where television programmes are watched or recorded as they are broadcast...

edit: you are correct. I fail at reading comprehension.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

....is that like TikTok?? I've never heard of ToTok.

Sounds like you wouldn't, unless you were in the UAE.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

well yeah but they are totally gonna send me that $125 any day now!!

That poo poo right there pisses me off beyond words. That the loving feds piped up saying that we should accept Equifax's pathetic "monitoring" rather than extracting whatever part of a pound of flesh out of those greedy douchbags we could just chaps my rear end. It's not much, but it's something. gently caress you - you work for ME, not THEM, you assholes.
:capitalism: indeed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Lol if you actually think this

I can dream.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mllaneza posted:

What baffles me is, Microsoft's internal system administrators have physical access to the developers who wrote this poo poo. How are there not constant stories about screaming matches in the cafeteria between the people who have to run Windows, and the people who wrote it ?

Lots of Kool-Aid

Last Chance posted:

can we also stop using the term "bug" for a glitch? i don't like bugs

You're not supposed to like bugs, you're supposed to eradicate them.
Also, it's called a bug because the first one was a literal bug in a relay.

beuges posted:

Undocumented behaviour

D. Ebdrup posted:

Also known as: users.

:golfclap:

wolrah posted:

I remember my dad and I both carefully triple checking the process and orientation when adding additional SIMMs to our first PC. Grounding ourselves religiously, not taking the cards out of the bag until the absolute last second, etc. It was such a relief watching the POST RAM counter keep going after 2048KB.

A few years later we accidentally hot-swapped a PCI modem on an MMX-era Pentium system when we were switching back and forth trying to solve a problem and forgot to shut the computer down first. It's amazing how quickly that sense of fragility goes away (though we still both had a "oh gently caress.....wait....it's still running.....wow...." moment).

I gave up on all the static precautions and poo poo decades ago.
Now whenever a user questions me about it while I'm working with RAM or their SSD, I make sure to rub my fingers along the contacts a few times. And threaten to lick it. I have to assert dominance.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

if you are touching a plugged in case, you are grounded and safe :colbert:

Exactly.

F4rt5 posted:

A common misconception. The incident you are thinking of was the first LITERAL bug found in a computer. The expression was in use before that.

e: I guess because bugs are annoying, like the ants during a picnic trope? Seems logical.

Huh. I read that it was a literal bug in a relay in, I believe it was, UNIVAC that gave them the name.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Nothing. The zoom code apparently tried to limit to http/s URLs even but the Windows call they used always permits UNC regardless of the protocols specified.

They just pushed an update that supposedly fixes the UNC issue. Got that when I fired up Zoom this morning.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

droll posted:

They released an updated client 2 days ago. I know this because I had to push it out.

Ah, I guess we just pushed it, then. I’m not on that side of things (yet).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

We were using Zoom enterprise-wide before the apocalypse, and have been happy with it. They've made changes as security concerns have come up quickly enough to satisfy our InfoSec, and we're an InfoSec/IT company.
Thank God, we also were already issuing laptops to every user, and had a decent VPN infrastructure in place. Once the WFH hit, we just beefed up the VPN, then fixed a few relatively small issues, and kept trucking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Axe-man posted:

I just come here to watch what you all do behind the closed doors at the other side of the server room.

Same.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Maybe they think it'll be friends.

Thank you for this.
I need to go read that series again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

I take it you've listened to the radio series? If not, you absolutely should!

Yes, but should listen again, as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

At this point, a kaiju attack would not be surprising.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, hey, a '90s Mac. I like Macs, but... go ahead and shoot that one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Can I give you an address and have you ship everything there? Also what kind of business does so well that it throws away hardware constantly?

Any?
Hardware becomes less cost-effective to use and support when warranties are up, and software has outstripped the capabilities of the hardware (which is continual - devs tend to program for current hardware.)
Now, I'm desktop support, so that's what I really know. We purchase 3-year warranties on our laptops, so we refresh them every three years when the warranty is up, though we do hang on to the machines not purchased by the user (we offer an opportunity for the user to buy their previous machine at a very nice price) for another year or so to use as loaners, temp machines, and, occasionally, spare parts.
To be fair, we don't "throw it away" per se. We send it to an e-waste company that will sort through it and repurpose or recycle as appropriate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Just give the end users admin access. They're already on their endpoints, who better to investigate a compromise than the person at the source??

You laugh, but guess what we do?
I just sort of stared for a minute when I discovered that, first day.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You gotta fire every doctor and nurse who had a patient die, then start bringing hospital admin staff and EMTs into the OR in order to give them holistic control over the process of open heart surgery so we can figure out why people are dying. What if Jamie in accounting notices a strange lesion that the Chief neurosurgeon missed? Until people stop dying we cannot accept any excuse for the sorry state of medicine and nursing.

That's an excellent analogy.

VagueRant posted:

HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO:
  • A tinpot company hosts all clients DBs out of a single SQL instance on one hosting company's server/service.
  • They want to allow public connections so multiple work-from-home devs can work off a dev deployment Wordpress site's database on their local builds.
  • Root access has been given to someone who doesn't know much more than how to SSH in and doesn't know anything about VPNs or IP whitelisting.
  • The company won't pay for sysadmins/devops.

What are some sensible precautions someone caught in this TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL situation might take to prevent total destruction?

Work for a different hypothetical company.

edit: f, b

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

100% agreed as well. Which is why so many view Cybersecurity Insurance as better than building an actual Infosec program.

When your management is filled with people who are just MBAs, who view everything as a cost center even when that cost center is literally the foundation of their company in the digital age, anything like Infosec and IT in general is just a wasteful spend.

https://twitter.com/jamieantisocial/status/1400824184490672130?s=20

At a certain point, though, wouldn't the cybersecurity insurance companies enforce at least some sort of basic security practices as a prereq for providing coverage? Kind of like how life insurance wants a medical/lifestyle history to determine coverage and pricing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 4, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DrDork posted:

But yeah, MBA and related people whose mantra is that the only legitimate path for a business is the one that most perfectly maximizes profits, regardless of anything else, are a huge cause of all sorts of stupid socially consequential problems like this. Launch them all into the sun and we'd all be better off, even if it would mean the stock prices didn't rise that extra 0.5% this year.

They're also the dingleberries that decided JIT for *everything* was the way to go, and nothing could ever go wrong with supply infrastructure. There's no way, for example, that there could be a once-in-a-century global pandemic affecting production literally everywhere, or a giant cargo ship could get wedged into a vital shipping canal. Absolutely no need to stockpile anything, ever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

hope you did a clone a willy first

No poo poo, a friend of mine undergoing transition is seriously considering this before she's scheduled to get it whacked.
I mean, how many people get the opportunity to actually go gently caress themselves?

edit:

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure the last time I laughed this hard after COVID started
BWAH-HAH!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

It exists and is awesome

until you remember that unless you bought the Macs through the business/school account it's an absolutely nightmare to get them added to ABM/ASM for MDMing

This is absolute truth.

Sickening posted:

When you MDM macOS devices, what is your goal to even do? I feel like that is the million dollar question that I can't get a census on.

The Iron Rose posted:

I’ve not touched this in some time, but user de/provisioning, SSO, deploying software, enforcing patching - the usuals no? How would you manage a fleet if not via MDM?

That, pretty much.

edit: we use Munki for MDM, an Open Source nightmare, rather than JAMF, because it's "free", and our CIO and his VP are loving cheapskates. Worse, ONE guy manages it, from the Czech Republic. We've complained endlessly about the lag in service this results in, and the "bus factor" of one on this system, but all to no avail. Overall, I like where I work, but there are just some decisions that make me weep.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 21, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

The new place my SO works for implements two factor on their VPN with an automated phone call. To a softphone. On the same computer you're connecting from. :downs:

We used to use RSA for 2-factor on the VPN.
Using a virtual RSA SecureID dongle app running on the same computer that was typically logging into the VPN.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

They don't need to, they're being paid to push the bill, not to care, especially when they have "safe" seats

They should care when they realize it's also *their* messages that will get scanned.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The 80386 was launched 2 months before I was born. Now I feel old.

My friend, I was born before the 8080 came out. Also the z80, 6800, and 6502.
I do learn today while looking that up the Atari 2600 used a 6502, which I did not know for some reason.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Chase is evil, but they at least seem technically competent.

Saying a bank is evil is redundant, but yeah.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll have to add my Sewing Machine Operator License from 3rd grade.

Man, I knew some EU countries were strict about licensed operators, but, wow. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Son of a bitch. I completely missed the significance of that.