Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

WELCOME TO THE COMBINED THREAD FOR CHIVALRY OF A FAILED KNIGHT AND THE ASTERISK WAR

This is the thread to discuss both of these shows, post gifs from them, and (if you like) talk vaguely about one without revealing which. Honestly while both show's characters and settings are hilariously similar, the actual plots have diverged since the first handful of episodes.

What's this all about then?

There's this guy.

He meets a girl.

They have a duel.

This is because they go to a Weird School with Fighting and Magic.

She turns out to be a tsundere top-student and skilled with fire magic. Luckily once the duel is resolved they start teaming up and becoming partners in their school's Important Tournament.

There are some other harem members characters.

quote:

The "school sword action" story revolves around Magic Knights, modern magic-users who fight with weapons converted from their souls. Ikki Kurogane goes to a school for these Magic Knights, but he is the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One" who is failing because he has no magical skills. However, one day, he is challenged to a duel by Stella, a foreign princess and the "Number One" student. In this duel, "the loser must be obedient for life."

quote:

The Academy City on the water, Rikka (otherwise known as Asterisk) is the world's largest stage for the integrated battle entertainment, "Star Wars Festival." The young boys and girls of the "Starpulse Generation" belonging to the six academies made their wishes with Shining Armaments in their hands, vying for supremacy—Amagiri Ayato is one of them.

Ayato arrived at Rikka at the invitation of the Student Council President of the Seidoukan Academy, Claudia, and right after that he incurred the wrath of the "Petalblaze Witch" Julis, and ended up having to duel her.

The greatest academy battle entertainment, begins here!

The Asterisk War:

Chivalry of a Failed Kight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have fun and

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chivalry of a Failed Knight has a very cool looking OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQT87UgNbvc

While the Asterisk War has the superior ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXobkL5pHjE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I literally keep forgetting which one has the badges they need to destroy for an official duel victory.

That said, for all my teasing I'm actually enjoying both these silly shows and I'm extra happy that despite all the harem shenanigans still going on Stella and Main Dude smooched.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I think it was the one with Nao Touyama.

omg

It never ends.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like Chivalry just a touch more, but i really wish they weren't so generous with the random colored lighting all over the screen. In that respect Asterisk looks leagues better.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Definitely.

Also, up til this week Chivalry was by far the more fanservicey one, but this week on Asterisk they pulled out all the stops on it, going so far as to end the episode on a butt shot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Clarste posted:

The latest arc of this series involves a female heir to a prestigious school of fencing who is semi-forced to fight due to family circumstances.

I know they've diverged, but it's pretty funny that they met right back up.

And who the main dude promptly goes about adding to his harem training!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm honestly really enjoying both of them, even if neither is groundbreaking in any way and have their share of Dumb poo poo.

I say give both first episodes a shot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, the ending song is by Maaya Sakamoto, no wonder it's good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think they are both fun even if flawed, if someone doesn't think they sound interesting to him then well, they don't.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Okay so I watched Cavalry and I can say that it is simultaneously better and worse than Asterisk. The side characters are better, the female lead is way better, the fights are better but the fanservice is worse and the incest sister thing is so much worse. Asterisk definitely feels like a by the numbers LN with every character designed with a specific trope in mind.

:yeah:

Today on Asterisk.
:henget:

and still not enough Saya.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

(his sword is growing longer)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I would happily watch a show that was solely about Yuri-chan's daily life.

That lady is a walking biohazard.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh good, this is getting another season.

quote:

Lux is a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. Drag-Rides are ancient armored mechanical weapons that have been excavated from ruins all around the world. Lux used to be called the strongest Drag-Knight, but now he's known as the "undefeated weakest" Drag-Knight because he will absolutely not attack in battle. After his duel with Lisesharte, Lux ends up attending the female-only academy that trains royals to be Drag-Knight

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

http://puu.sh/ltsFl/49f846c62a.webm

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sorry ma'am, we already have our tsundere quota filled. You'll have to wait outside.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'd probably drop Asterisk if i wasn't the OP of this very exciting thread. This week's episode was kind of fun, i guess. At least Saya was in it a lot, maybe her and Kirin will go on another date sometime.

It does at least make Chivalry look a whole lot better by comparison.

Ikki is much more interesting than whatshisface from the other one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

That bath scene owned for pink hair having to ask whatshisface 'Do you like boobs?'

She's very proactive.

and also cute

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SOX needs to get to work in the Chivalry-verse stat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's not really how i would characterize that, but whatever. She's an Actual Princess and honestly i'm surprised actual sex got brought up at all.
Anyway, turns out i'm truly enjoying Chivalry of a Failed Knight even with its flaws. Catgirl Flash was fun to watch.

It was another meh week for Asterisk, at least the boke/tsukkomi robot duo was an amusing idea.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 29, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked when the new girl cut the pillarboxing from the screen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Up til now I definitely agree. But, i think the new batch of people in Chivalry seem pretty cool, I like Catgirl Flash especially. If only there was a way to trade Ikki's sister for Saya.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Asterisk is bleh.

Chivalry had a very fun fight today.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I somehow, after all this time, can't believe that both shows had a "if i rub your giant boobs, maybe mine will get bigger" gag today.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The shows are dumb but fairly fun, this thread is only the first.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hi thread, let's try not to be weird, and just talk about these two shows like reasonably normal people. Good natured teasing is fine, but this isn't a mock-thread. If you hate the shows please just don't watch them, and if you watch anyway don't feel the need to tell us how bad you find them to be.
Thanks.

Somewhat surprisingly, Asterisk had a pretty good episode this week. We got a lot of info on OgreLuxes, Claudia, and some other aspects of the world. Julis needs to just go for it and ignore the fact that Ayato keeps accumulating potential love-interests like the King of All Cosmos asked for a big ball of them.

Chivalry pulled out all of the stylistic stops: limited color pallets! film grain effects! title-card time hopping scene transitions! Actually it somehow felt like it was a longer episode than normal, there was a shitload of information dropped and events that happened but it didn't feel particularly rushed to me, and did a good job of setting up the grand finale next week.

But always remember: don't kiss princesses, or you'll go to jail. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I know right?

Yes, we'll put two hot young adults in a shared room, BUT NO TOUCHING. :mad::cop:

I'm of two minds about all the filters: they really helped sell the idea that it's a hosed up nightmarish situation that barely has any bearing on reality. But, at the same time using so many was pretty distracting.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow, what's a cartoon villain doing in a cartoon?

Being a jerk, mostly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Asterisk War: hey there's another season coming! That's right, another season. More mysteries to be found in the (wait for it) second season.

"Ayato..."
"Yes, Julis?"
"I...I just wanted to say that I really--"
"Are looking forward to the second season? Me too!"

The last scene (before the credits) was silly enough to bring a smile to my face though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stella is the god drat best.

I liked the last fight, they dialed back the visual effects from last week and made the whole thing look cool and not nearly as overdone. I'm kind of a sucker for fights that end in one blow though
And congratulations to Ikki and Stella! :3::kimchi::3:

A very good last episode in my opinion, there's certainly room for a sequel (and i've decided that i do hope we get one), but even if not, i don't feel ripped off and am totally happy with it.

And man, i can't loving believe that both these shows played the OP song during the climatic fight and also shifted up the art style as well. :psyduck:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

putting his father though a rather embarrassing phone call from HRH Vermillion.

And let's hear it for the Land of Vermilion: where every day is All Day Kissing Day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Holy poo poo Stella is a loving stand-up lady! :allears:

Stella owns.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm definitely not bothering with Asterisk once it picks back up. Since this one will presumably hit the archives by then, if anyone actually cares they can make a shiny new one. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

What was up with all the black and white-except-some-color-randomly in the last two episodes? If it's some sort of symbolism it fell right on its face.

The StuCo President was pretty cool though, hope we get to see more of her if there's a second season.

Emulating the titles and to look cool i guess. I liked it in the last episode, but thought it was too much in the previous one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did he actually start dating anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oy

• Locked thread