Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

I literally keep forgetting which one has the badges they need to destroy for an official duel victory.

I think it was the one with Nao Touyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Space Flower posted:

My vote goes to Asterisk, for the post-credit amies.

Fake Edit: I meant Chivalry. gently caress...

Not sure what you mean by "amies", but if you mean the thing with the blonde girl doing VN animations, you were right the first time and that was Asterisk.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So if I'm more interested in fun character moments (warm and fuzzy ones in particular are ideal, but not required) than a brilliant plot or crazy fight sequences, which (if either) of these shows should I watch?

Taimadou Gakuen

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

A quick google tells me that show's an ecchi, which isn't really what I'm looking for - unless my search results are overstating things.

They all are, at least to some degree or another. Rakudai Kishi moreso than Asterisk.

The fact remains that, as far as meaningful character is concerned, Taimadou Gakuen beats either. Beyond that, Rakudai Kishinev is better than Asterisk, since the secondary girl in Asterisk has been seen for a total of about 90 seconds in the last 5 weeks, and there are no, for all intents and purposes no other male characters.

I wouldn't suggest either, and my recommendation for Taimadou Gakuen is hesitant. None of them is another "kore wa zombie"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The grand plot in Failed Knight is somewhat more interesting, in that eventually the lovebirds are going to have to fight one another at the tournament, rather than it being a team battle event where they team up in the name of justice and glory, in order to find their lost siblings and rescue orphans and stop illegal whaling and..........

Also the opposing powers in Failed Knight are more interesting. They seem to be people intent on keeping the world order as a meritocracy fully dependent on magical power, with Ikki being the butt of the joke. In Asterisk, it's just kids from different schools who want their own team to win the tournament.

The battle "system" in Failed Knight is also seemingly more interesting, though that could easily change. At the moment, though, we've seen more variations on the type of magical power in Failed Knight, but more variations on the technology in Asterisk. Of course, the technology in Asterisk is incredibly weird involving Evangelical "synch ratios" and certain students just arbitrarily being assigned super-powerful unbreakable swords and armor, and... etc.

Failed Knight doesn't have the VN girl after the credits saying dumb lines like "Ooh, I thought he liked big tits", and has an ED composed/performed by the same people who did Code Geass's EDs.

And, even if nothing else, it's superior because it doesn't already have a season 2.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I would happily watch a show that was solely about Yuri-chan's daily life.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

Watched up to EP4 of the Chivalry show.

The sister in Chivalry does wear out her welcome real loving fast. Alice rules, though.

You'll be happy to know then that the sister has, for the most part, ceased her attempts to get brotherdick at this point.

She'll still egg Stella on, but that's a different thing than her first few appearances.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't have enough terrible vita games yet. I'll probably wind up buying that.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

She's an Actual Princess and honestly i'm surprised actual sex got brought up at all.

More to the point, I was surprised that they brought up Ikki's uncomfortable erection after having to help her undress. Bodily functions (other than stomachs growling and hair antennae) are typically ignored wholesale in these things.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Classy Hydra posted:

Chivalry is a pretty weird outlier for Silver Link, actually. Their animation's always really good, but moe Slice of Life is their usual genre, so it doesn't get shown off very often.

They did Kaleid Liner and Chaos Dragon, both of which have action that looks approximately as good, but, uh, both have their obvious drawbacks as well.

C3: Cube x Cursed x Curious has good visuals as well, but it's pretty much a bog-standard comedy/harem, so if you refuse to watch those sorts of shows I wouldn't suggest it (granted that you're in the thread focused on those shows at present). I enjoyed it, but I only wound up watching it due to the song having been sung on Sore ga Seiyuu and my willingness to watch anything that stars Yukari Tamura.

Episode 1 Screencaps are available here: http://www.crymore.net/2011/10/08/fansub-review-hatsuyuki-c3-episode-01/ I like the lighting effects and attention to detail on some of the backgrounds.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Asterisk S2 is starting off alright, kinda, I guess.

Fight to start was pretty good, but they started with Ayato in "recovery" mode and with no "When we left you last time, our heroes had just..."

Also, only one line from Saya.

But the battle was good, and the strategy that they came up with to counter Ayato being in recovery-mode was excellent on multiple levels.

And the new villains we're meeting next episode promise to be very entertaining.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

I think that, aside from the music, Mahouka is still the worst show I've seen made in the Raildex mold.

The problem that all of these LN shows have is that they ignore the interesting bits in favor of the plot and the "plot". Give me the world-building, give me the magic systems, give me the backstabbing and politics and behind-the-scenes strategic fuckery that allows the plot to unfurl.

Mahouka is a pretty good example of this- obviously, there's some interesting family politicking going on involving the main character, the Japanese government, his manufacturing firm, and his family. Alas, they just forced their way through (judging from book names on the LN site) 7 volumes in 24 episodes, and all-but-ignored the backend stuff until "I'm coming for you some day auntie" in the last 5 minutes of the show.

Noucome, Inou Battle, Infinite Stratos and a whole host of others share the same problem.

Somehow, Index managed to find a good balance in its anime adaptation, but it's rare.

Fake edit: Allow me to call Maken-Ki the dumbest high school battle anime, and assert that Hundred is much dumber than Asterisk.

Up until the upcoming episode, in which (speculation predicated on spoilers from most recent episode): Amagiri will kiss Yulis and that will somehow break all of his seals and allow him to win the fight against the evil Chinese twins at which point it will be a tie until Hundred lowers the bar again.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Super No Vacancy posted:

another one is the irregular at magic high school which is also very stupid plus fasch

(That's Mahouka, the one we've been discussing).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i cannot believe how stupid the new Hundred was lmao. the protagonist stumbling approx. 10 feet to fall directly onto another characters mouth and breasts so as to molest them for the third time thus far is a new record in distance to my knowledge

Yuuki Rito once fell down a flight of stairs in order to depantsu Kotegawa Yui with his teeth, and then jam his nose in her crotch. That's still more impressive than anything I've seen in any of these shows.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

Didn't To-LoveRU basically went from typical Jump fanservicey romp to borderline Hentai after leaving WSJ?

I haven't read the manga, but judging from the TV show, the transition from TLR/MottoTLR to Darkness/(especially)Darkness2 is when it became extremely frustrating to watch. I wouldn't go so far as to call the broadcast show "borderline hentai". On the other hand, the OVAs certainly are.

For some reason, I think the scene I'm describing happened in Motto, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

Toushi, no! :(

Since Lala and Haruna are there, it's not Darkness, so the Mayo-ouji is still fine.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Going back to our earlier discussion of the flaws of LN-based shows in general, what the gently caress are you thinking, Flying Dog? In the penultimate and ante-penultimate episodes, you introduce like 8 fascinating plotlines involving multinational politics, international terrorism, child experimentation, etc, after having wasted 10-12 episodes on that bullshit tournament?

Prioritize your time better.

• Locked thread