Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Got curious about the thread title. So, 2 harem LN adaptations with almost identical casts.

Are the shows at the very least entertaining? I've learned to not expect much of this type of shows, but drat, the shows being at least entertaining in that “turn your brain off” way would be a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pavlov posted:

Adults have relationships for a lot of (sometimes dumb) reasons. For high-schoolers it's pretty much just the one.

I look forward to your future posts in E/N twiddy.

Unless it's anywhere near the train-wreck that Slow Motion's thread is, not interested.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

I kinda want a crossover between these shows just to see the characters react to their counterparts.

So you basically want a Gintama / Sket Dance crossover with the downside being that there's not going to be any filthy humor.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

I just watched all 6 episodes of Asterisk and all I got out of it was it's like Mahouka with the really bad stuff filed off.

So basically the only thing in common is the magic / sword high school thing, then. You see, the joke here is that Mahouka is straight up really really bad no matter which way you slice it. :iamafag:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watched up to EP4 of the Chivalry show.

I liked how the rival (voiced by Kirito, no less!) wasn't afraid of coming off as a gigantic pussy to avoid getting a the good-ole' sword-to-the-face. It does piss me off that he was rocking a slightly less cool version of the classic Iori Yagami style. If you ain't gonna commit fully to the Yagami style hit the bricks, dipshit. :mad:

AtomikKrab posted:

ASterisk has a much better supporting cast so far.

The sister in Chivalry does wear out her welcome real loving fast. Alice rules, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

You'll be happy to know then that the sister has, for the most part, ceased her attempts to get brotherdick at this point.

She'll still egg Stella on, but that's a different thing than her first few appearances.

Shizuku being protective of her brother on account of the Kurogane family constantly making GBS threads on him strikes me as an actual good trait. It's just that her introduction and what followed after made me dislike her a bunch because :cmon:

I kinda wish it was more like Komachi looking out for Hachiman in the SNAFU show. So if what you're saying is legit and she backing off on the whole "Onii-sama :swoon:" and just being a pain in the rear end by egging Stella to try and get the princess to stop being a stick-in-the-mud with regards to her brother, then that's fine with me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Komachi is the best. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

organism posted:

In failknight, I don't understand the sister's reaction to any of this. She's already stated that she hates her family because of what the did to her brother but instead of cutting ties with them or reporting their abuse of her brother to the media (which would hugely embarass them given how prominent they're supposed to be) she decides to incestuously fall in love with him.

Why does the protagonist always respond with "I'll just work harder until they acknowledge me" in those anime scenarios where they're shunned and treated like crap in the family? You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse". What boggles my mind is that, most of the time, it ends up working out and the family acknowledges them. That's not how toxic abusive relationships go. You don't ever change the other person's mind and make them realize they were wrong the whole time. The self-help book, psychologically healthy response is supposed to be that you realize you don't have to live up to other people's standards not that they were right and you just weren't trying hard enough.

I kinda see where you're coming from (I made a similar criticism of why Nisekoi is still going despite the fact that it's a harem and those are supposed to have a short shelf-life), but what you also have to understand is that, well, Japanese people march to a different drumbeat.

Same reason why in SAO a teenager gets shunned because she killed a bank-robber in self-defense when younger. A western viewer probably thinks “Wow! She was a loving badass!”... whereas the in-story point of view is somewhere along the lines of:
  1. Little girl had to get a healthy dose of PTSD.
  2. Since Japan has the most insane laws regarding firearms and weapons in general, obviously a little girl wielding a weapon stands out way too much.
  3. Take the first two points and when she tries to search for professional help, due to the aforementioned cultural differences, she still gets shunned by the professionals that are supposed to be there for her.
Ikki is in a similar boat: Because of the fact that, due to the setting's academic system, he's not up to the standards that are expected of him, he's treated with utter disdain by his supposed loved ones... and yet, despite that he keeps trying, even when it's evidently clear that outside of the white-haired, overly-touchy bore that his little sister is, he's of no use for them so he might as well not exist and-- DO YOU SEE WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS?

Or it could be because he needs to be a generic Marty-Stu LN protagonist. This is my “turn your brain off for 25 minutes” show, so what the hell do I know.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Stella is a loving stand-up lady! :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

You must suffer through Infinite Stratos first.

How can you say that? I would rather have a German Shepherd bite me really hard in one of my ankles.

Asterisk is dumb and boring. Chivalry was dumb AND fun (except for the dumb little sister). Infinite Stratos was dumb, boring and the main character was incredibly infuriating. Like, worse than the Nisekoi guy (how appropriate that they're both voiced by the same guy).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Sandman posted:

But was it worse than Kampfer?

I sacrificed seven bald eagles and one girl who went by the name "Lizzie Bathory" on her facebook profile just so I could forget about Kampfer. Now let us never speak of it again. :colbert:

I think that, aside from the music, Mahouka is still the worst show I've seen made in the Raildex mold.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

The problem that all of these LN shows have is that they ignore the interesting bits in favor of the plot and the "plot". Give me the world-building, give me the magic systems, give me the backstabbing and politics and behind-the-scenes strategic fuckery that allows the plot to unfurl.

Mahouka is a pretty good example of this- obviously, there's some interesting family politicking going on involving the main character, the Japanese government, his manufacturing firm, and his family. Alas, they just forced their way through (judging from book names on the LN site) 7 volumes in 24 episodes, and all-but-ignored the backend stuff until "I'm coming for you some day auntie" in the last 5 minutes of the show.

Noucome, Inou Battle, Infinite Stratos and a whole host of others share the same problem.

Somehow, Index managed to find a good balance in its anime adaptation, but it's rare.

I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. As an addendum, and despite its popularity, a lot of the cast/staff who did Mahouka were not aware that the author was kinda... special about his ideologies. The few things I do know for a fact are that, according to Sugita, he hung out a lot with Yuichi Nakamura while recording sessions were going on despite his part being rather small due to the fact that his bro Nakamura loving hated the novels and that when he originally did the casting, he had no clue it was going to be that loving dumb. Any downtime available was spent between the two and Yumi Uchiyama teasing Kana Hanazawa, because apparently that never gets old.

Also, the Index/Railgun animes were weird in that some story arcs would be abysmally slow while others were relatively tight-paced. Despite its uneven quality and the fact that it's trying to do the whole "Magic High School Adventure City" as close to Index as possible, the Strike the Blood anime had really good pacing and world-building. Hell, one of the main love interests of Strike the Blood is mostly on the world-building, behind-the-scenes side of things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

You should get into LNs. More Battle Academies than you can even imagine.

Yeah, no. I did the mistake of buying the first two arcs (4 books) of Mahouka from the guy who had originally given me a bunch of cool recommendations for Novels / Light Novels, including the Gundam Unicorn novels and All You Need is Kill (who back then I didn't even know was the source for Edge of Tomorrow). After finishing those two arcs, I decided to quit a bunch of fiction, including Bleach. That's right: It made me give up on a ton of stuff I've had invested myself due to sunk-cost effect (I think that's the right name?).

If there are any Battle Academy LN's that are worth a shot, sure, I'll bite.

e: grammar. :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was joking. The point is that battle academy ln's are mediocre at best and the vast majority never reach that high.

I get that Blitz was joking, but I honestly wish that, if there were any Battle Academy LN's (or Light Novels, period) that elevate beyond lazy 'I'm attempting to getting an anime out of this', sure, bring 'em out. Venturing out with LN's has yielded out some gems, though: The Oregairu novels are good-to-sometimes-great (I still like the anime more), so was Kokoro Connect and the Classic Literature Club series (from where Hyouka was adapted).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

Yuuki Rito once fell down a flight of stairs in order to depantsu Kotegawa Yui with his teeth, and then jam his nose in her crotch. That's still more impressive than anything I've seen in any of these shows.

Didn't To-LoveRU basically went from typical Jump fanservicey romp to borderline Hentai after leaving WSJ?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toushi, no! :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the end of the LN, like every other LN adaptation it doesn't have an end because they adapt it before anything interesting happens at the end. Maybe if you're lucky and its popular enough, someone will do the Full Metal Panic treatment and finish it, but Asterisk sucked and the un-adapted material of Chivalry is pretty terrible, so don't hold your breath.

Man, following Full Metal Panic away from the novels was weird. After a while, I just decided to read the novels and be done with it.

Did the Chivalry novels really turn to poo poo that quick? It only took what, 3 or 4 volumes (I don't know how much the anime covered)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

The fmp novels were eventually adapted completely in a manga. Considering that they will never be officially published in english, that's been the best way to finish the story up until now.

The Sigma! manga, huh? What I had read until a few years ago was good, so maybe I'll try to get them.

BlitzBlast posted:

The anime went up to I think the end of volume 2. Where it ended in a proposal on live television, the LN had said proposal happen behind closed doors so the rest of the love interests wouldn't hear about it.

The Chivalry LN is like the perfect example of a story going on longer than it should've.

:agreed:

• Locked thread