Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The latest arc of this series involves a female heir to a prestigious school of fencing who is semi-forced to fight due to family circumstances.

I know they've diverged, but it's pretty funny that they met right back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Simple communication to prevent misunderstandings is useless and a waste of time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, while it's interesting to see one of these LN couples actually becoming a couple, I think Asterisk's tsundere redhead is more tolerable because she doesn't freak out over everything for no reason. It feels more like a relationship of respect, as opposed to "wow, he's so cool and handsome and sexy and I'm so glad he's my boyfriend!" Perhaps it helps that the Asterisk dude is actually significantly less cool?

Actually, given how much of Chivalry seems to be told from the redhead's perspective (seriously, we're inside her head like 70% of the time), it has this strange, almost shoujo feeling where it's about the girl who landed the biggest hunk in school but oh no he has a tragic past that she needs to help him work through. It feels more like he's the prize to be won, if that makes any sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm not saying it's unrealistic or anything, I just thought their rapport was kind of boring because of that. Redhead spends all her time alternating between fantasizing about his hot bod or panicking over the idea of other people fantasizing over his hot bod and it's not that interesting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My theory is that the two writers are friends and made a crazy bet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fancy way of saying that people like comfortable cliches more than complicated character development.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He's just subconsciously replaced all his emotions with Honor because he's a Noble Samurai or somesuch.

Actually, I think being "above such base feelings" is a common fantasy among the target audience, to make them feel better about themselves. Girls lusting after their self-inserts is cool and all, but reciprocating implies vulnerability, sort of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Beyond that, Rakudai Kishinev is better than Asterisk, since the secondary girl in Asterisk has been seen for a total of about 90 seconds in the last 5 weeks, and there are no, for all intents and purposes no other male characters.

I think that's preferable to her counterpart though: the sister in Rakudai. Also, Rakudai doesn't have any male characters who aren't villains of the week either.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm. Sounds like none of the lot are really my thing, at least not now. Shame.

This is the correct answer. Everyone in this thread is watching these two shows completely ironically with no honest enjoyment, upon pain of public shaming.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Failed Knight has an extra character with no counterpart (Alice) who is not a terrible person.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, or is Alice's counterpart the student council president? Either way, it's an advantage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm getting confused, so I decided to make a chart of the subtle differences between these two series. Well, not a chart exactly, but I'll be contrasting characters with their counterparts, in an effort to help me remember that they exist.

MC From Respected Warrior Family With Tragic Past and Secret Super Mode With Short Duration

Chivalry: New school always-cool protagonist who is perfect at everything and the most popular guy at school (after the beginning). Super mode lasts one minute but also has ridiculous super-ability to predict people's moves. Best for fulfilling power fantasies.

Asterisk: Old school kind of wimpy seeming protagonist who nonetheless displays inner (and outer) strength when it counts. Super mode lasts three minutes but has nothing else to back it up. Best for self-insert everyman.

Redhead Tsundere Princess Fire Sword Love Interest

Chivalry: Comes to terms with her own affection surprisingly fast but still can't spit it out. Even after they become a couple she has to keep it secret in order to keep the status quo. Secretly the main character because the story is fundamentally about being in love with the MC.

Asterisk: Kind of subdued, relatively. Less tsundere than you'd expect, but frankly that's kind of boring too.

Short Girl From Past Who Loves MC For No Reason But Also Has No Chance

Chivalry: It's his sister and she french kisses him immediately. No redeeming value.

Asterisk: "Just" a childhood friend. Never shows up when plot is happening and is totally irrelevant.

Mysterious Scheming Girl Who Knows More Than She Should and Is Probably On MC's Side But You Never Know

Chivalry: Transsexual who is actually treated like a girl instead of joke (I found that surprising anyway), magically knows everything going on in people's heads to give advice but is probably secretly evil.

Asterisk: Student Council President who tries to seduce MC for reasons and is generally helpful but also probably secretly evil. Has really stupid post-credits thing.

Fourth Episode Villain who Provides Sufficient Threat to Force MC to Use Full Power, but Not Actually Important and Presumably Leaves the Story Forever

Chivalry: One of those bullies who is mysterious popular despite being an obvious rear end in a top hat. Or maybe that's why he's popular, I forgot how high school works.

Asterisk: Snuck into the story by being a totally generic lackey guy, and therefore lacks anything memorable about him, by poorly thought out design. Which is a way to remember him, maybe?

Second Arc Damsel Who is Swordmaster From Prestigious Fencing Style But Forced to Fight Against Will By Family Circumstances Involving Father and Likes MC Of Course

Chivalry: Frankly I'm just assuming the plot, but it seems like a sound bet. Uh... I guess she's ditzy? Let's just say ditzy senpai archetype.

Asterisk: Kohai archetype because some people get off to being called senpai I guess. Actually better than the MC without cheating, which is something I suppose.

School Newspaper Gossip Person Who Isn't Important But Hangs Around a Lot For Some Reason

Chivalry: It's a girl. Uh... I already described everything about her.

Asterisk: It's a boy. Also fulfills role as generic male friend for MC. I guess he's secretly a ninja or something but honestly does anyone care?

Lester McFail

Asterisk-only: Dumb meathead guy who only exists to make the MC look better by contrast. The twist was that he was just dumb, not evil.

I'm probably forgetting some characters.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 13, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Haven't seen asterisk yet, gonna soon though. It sounds like the fights aren't as good as chivalry's, but are they still pretty good?

No, it's just people declaring special attacks (the words even appear on the screen!) and then doing something indistinguishable from everything else they've already done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, Chivalry MC's perfect mindreading is so stupid that it's hard to wrap my head around. But it says something that the show still manages to be more engaging than Asterisk. Heck, the fights ended the same way (surprise attack while shouting that it's a secret move from your fencing school). I kind of assumed that the conclusion would come down to the fact that she didn't split his head open with that cut on his cheek and her power though. I mean, that would've had something to do with honor, right? (I assume the school doesn't disqualify for lethalities, given the waiver and what the previous opponent was doing).

Anyway, I hope the next major opponent doesn't rely on invisible attacks. Again. That might be pushing it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like how having particularly good reflexes is worthy of having a fancy special move name in English.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is a world where "having good reflexes" is called "Marginal Counter" in English for no reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm honestly fascinated by what sort of mindset would lead a person to watch a show like asterisk/chivalry/mahouka and think "Wow. This is the best show I've ever seen." What is it that they think is to profound and great about these shows?

I think the message that the main character is actually super awesome even if none of his peers, including his family, treat him that way is tailor-made to resonate with a certain age range. I mean, sure, teenagers loved Love Hina because boobs, but these shows are promoting an actual worldview that underachieving children desperately want to believe. They want to believe that the world is failing them, and not that they're failing their parents. I mean, it's very comforting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

organism posted:

You would think, statistically, that one of them would just go "gently caress it, you hurt me, I'll hurt you worse".

I agree with the rest of your post, but the obvious answer to this is that the kind of person who'd do that wouldn't fit into the "perfect in every way" role that a LN main character is supposed to be. God is not only omnipotent and omniscient, he's also omnibenevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To-Love-Ru was the manga that Jump Square guy from Medaka Box was embarrassed to acknowledge.

• Locked thread