Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

A heavy wave rolls in and slaps into the side of the boat, gently rocking it in its moorings. The docks are more lively than usual for a town like this, fisherfolk scrambling to and from boats as they unload whatever they could catch in time. Storm shutters are being nailed into place on homes and seaside businesses, preparing for the worst.

The old captain clucks his tongue as he looks out to sea, watching the titanic clouds slowly drift to block the sun. "Ĉalki's angry," he says in his thick Ŝovani accent, hands on his hips. "Jealous Fraujmaŝ she is, vürr par." He claps his hands and turns back around to face you, tattooed skin weathered by age and sea. "That settles it, we'll have to spend the night. Crazier than a Pauĵi on nedula juice to try sailing this."

The distant roar of thunder echoes across the sea.

Captain Ĵorba sighs. "Hope they got cheap drinks," he mutters, and hobbles up the dock for the town.

— — —

Welcome to Upon The Rocks, a Numenera campaign. You and your companions are passengers of the chartered vessel Olvagga, which has been transporting you across the world ocean for the nation of Zel. However, a sudden storm has struck the Razor Sea, forcing you to make port in Miura's Hope, one of the many fishing towns that dot the scattered islands and islets of this sea. While your captain plans to only stay to weather the storm, just like the sea, plans can change at any moment...

Chargen Info
I'm looking for four players. I may take up to six, but it would be a rare occurrence.

Feel free to use stuff from any book when creating your characters, though be aware: Locational descriptors are not allowed. This game is set on Tamat, an ocean world far from Earth. Cognates of the Ninth World are few if existent at all.

Alternate species are okay, though if you use the Artificially Intelligent descriptor, please be creative with your robobody.

When you create your character, answer these three questions: 1. Why did you start traveling? 2. What's your business in Zel? 3. Miura's Hope may be isolated like most Razor Sea towns, but that just means it has its own quirks. Give me a short description of something interesting on the island, and give me another for one of the townspeople.

Never played Numenera before, or don't have any books? Message me! You can either PM me or hit me up at toa4461 at gmail dot com and I'll help you get everything in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Barghuz, the Inquisitive Golthiar Nano who Sees Beyond

Barghuz is not this creature's real name, for its native tongue is that of patterns of flashing lights invisible to the naked eye. But Barghuz, the word of memory for a long-forgotten people, used by their singers to begin tales of the past, it took as a sign of its calling. Barghuz is a historian. Tamat is a world choked with history. Nations, languages, races, species, lands, and the seas themselves, all have risen and fallen with the sands of time. It seeks out the traces and patterns of the past, and has done so for so long it can barely remember where it started.

Barghuz, in its studies, has learned that the Golthiar like itself are not natives to the planet. How they got there, why they are there, where did they come from - those are the questions the answers to which it seeks out morning and night. It has found clues, hints, lacunae that give form to ignorance, and a pattern grows, a pattern that suggests violence. But the world is large, and it must ever find more material.

Zel is the home of a large Golthiar community. But more importantly to Barghuz, its fellow Golthiar there have a copy of "Acts of the Ancestors," the most ancient text Barghuz could discern that actually mentions the Golthiar. Barghuz must get access to it.

The island of Miura's Hope is named as such for the abundance of flora and fauna that flourish on it, in comparison to the other, fairly food-poor, islands of the Razor Sea. But no naturalist has been able to prove why Miura's Hope, and not some other place, is so well-populated. The latest to arrive, Orzur of Hin, is an old woman looking to complete her career with a book to put on her tombstone and settle the issue once and for all. She has been researching the island now for 8 years.

Talked with Saberwulf, combined bits and pieces of the Golthiar and Inquisitive descriptors to get this! Dropped the Armor and Communal perks from Golthiar, and the initiative malus from Inquisitive, but let me know if I should make any more changes, Saberwulf!

pre:
Barghuz, the Inquisitive Golthiar Nano who Sees Beyond
Links/Connections:
- One of the PCs approached you to learn information related to the mission, having heard you were an expert. (Inquisitive)
- Pick one other PC. You are fairly certain that this character doesn’t believe that your abilities are real. (Sees Beyond)
- You worked the gardens in the palace of an influential noble. She wouldn’t remember you, but you made friends with her young daughter. (Nano)

Tier 1
- 
-
-
-
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might:   8/0
Speed:  10/0
Mind :  20/1

Skills:
Trained --
- Numenera (Identification/Understanding)
- Learning new things
- Botany
- History
- Learning/decoding/understanding languages

Specialized --

Abilities
- Practiced with Light Weapons
- Smart (+4 Int pool)
- Solar (1/day, regain 1 point each by standing in sun)
- Blind (Bright, unexpected light increases difficulty 1 step for next action)
- Deficient (1/3 days, must bury self in soil)
- Fixated on details (Noticing danger +1 difficulty)
- See the Unseen. (Can perceive creatures and objects that are normally invisible. Difficulty -1 for finding normally hidden things)

Esoteries
- Push (2 Int)
- Ward (+1 Armor)

Cyphers 0/3
-

Oddities 0/1
-

Current Equipment
- Clothing
- Forearm Blade (Light)
- "Further Introduction into Nanotech," book about Numenera
- "The Lays of Hallor," book about the extinct Nesh people
- "Exiles," book about solitary Golthiar
- "Theories on the Battlefield at Kirn," book about how the dead land might have been made
- Crystal lens, to help perceive hidden things
- 4 shins

Friar John fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 8, 2015

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I'm interested, going to try and put together a jack or glaive by tomorrow.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I'm hesitantly interested as well, though I haven't played Numenera afore.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

CaPensiPraxis posted:

I'm hesitantly interested as well, though I haven't played Numenera afore.

That's 100% okay! Numenera is a pretty easy to learn system, and chargen is super quick. PM me if you need any help!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am interested in probably making some type of Glaive, looking through Core, Character Options and Players Guide for ideas of what exactly I want except Glaive. I uh might try and build for unarmed? If I can figure out the best way to actually do that. So many things give you weapons though.

Actually i remember hearing that there were two monk/unarmed like options either in one of the books or in some special backer only thing or something. Any chance you know where those are or what they are?

EDIT: Also can Inquisitive Golthiar be Inquisitive? Isn't Inquisitive a Descriptor? Which the non human race also fills. So you can be an Inquisitive human, but cannot be descriptor Golthiar.

Unless I misunderstood?

EDIT EDIT: And then I just saw that it was talked over and a merging of Inquisitive and Golthiar bonuses and maluses.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 9, 2015

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I'm still settling details and fleshing out the concept, but I'll probably be submitting a nan character who talks to machines.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Ryuujin posted:

I am interested in probably making some type of Glaive, looking through Core, Character Options and Players Guide for ideas of what exactly I want except Glaive. I uh might try and build for unarmed? If I can figure out the best way to actually do that. So many things give you weapons though.

Actually i remember hearing that there were two monk/unarmed like options either in one of the books or in some special backer only thing or something. Any chance you know where those are or what they are?

Needs No Weapons is in Character Options. I think Performs Feats of Strength might be the other one?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm both look interesting. Although I think I heard there was a more might focused unarmed attacking Focus. Maybe something with the word Ki in it?

Also looking at Performs Feats of Strength it does get Iron Fist at 3rd Tier.

Tier 3: Iron Fist. Your unarmed attacks deal 4 points of damage. Enabler.

Does that just make the unarmed attacks deal 4 points? While still being Light? How does that interact with the Glaive Tier 1 option of No Need For Weapons.

And man between the Glaive Tier 1 option No Need For Weapons and the Focus Needs No Weapons it can be a bit confusing. Though there seems to be some confusion on whether No Need For Weapons makes it so you switch between light 2 damage fists and medium 4 damage fists, or if you are now doing medium 4 damage fists while still getting the benefit of light.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Interest post, as well as a question; how long are you taking apps for?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

Interest post, as well as a question; how long are you taking apps for?
Didn't really have a date in mind, but let's say... Friday, the 13th. (thunderbolts, lightning, etc.) I may close it sooner if I get a ton of complete apps, though.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Reifnir, the Honorable Glaive who Masters Defense

It was hard to remember that Ta'kal and Shinnok stood on the brink of war, here in the barracks. Here, it was training. From dawn til dusk, the soldiers of the Seventh Squadron of Ta'kal's Infantry Corps ran, jumped, climbed, and sparred with one another. The war was not against their bitter enemies, at least not yet, but instead with each other, in the drawn circle in the sand. Their fight was with their peers, but most of all with themselves. A mastery of your body and mind was required. To be able to raise your sword and shield, or whatever your weapon, when you were running on nothing but willpower.

As Reifnir Cathan knocked yet another challenger out of the ring and into dirt, grass, and sand, it seemed he demonstrated more than enough of that. The seventh squadron's commander, Kai'shal Arnok, stood and watched the proceedings, watching men both young and old, experienced and of veteran status, step into the circle and find themselves unable to pierce the young man's defenses. One at a time, they would enter, and dance that warrior's dance together with Reifnir. Slow circles they would walk around one another, each sizing the other up. Each time, his opponent would attack first, with some clever sweep or overhead, and each time they would be blocked, rebuffed and countered by a wall of synth steel, and then pushed or shoved outside the confines of the circle.

"Enough!" Kai'shal finally yelled, with a sweeping gesture, after each man had been defeated more than once. "It seems we have a winner this day. Double rations for the Shield of Jhatan!" Amidst grumbling and moaning by his squad mates, the group dismissed.

Kai'shal approached Reifnir, looking a bit concerned. "Are you all right? You worked yourself to the bone out here today."

"Sir, I'm doing nothing but what my people would expect. Jhatan would not have a coward fighting for them, a coward who could not stand against his fellow man." Reifnir spoke the truth; Jhatan, one of Ta'kal's many sister states, prided itself on the glory and honor of its warriors. Too often, their soldiers would refuse to surrender, and die facing their enemies head-on.

"Your courage is no good to you if you're dead." Was all Kai'shal had to say in reply. "I wanted to wait until you were finished, so here; a missive arrived earlier this afternoon for you." He hands Reifnir a small bronze orb, with detailed carvings lining its surface.

With a series of coded squeezes, twists, and turns, Reifnir unlocked the orb, its cracks filling with a glowing energy. A small, holographic image appeared, a figure that looked slightly like himself, wearing Jhatan's traditional blue-cloaked garb, but taller, more slender. Most likely an old woman underneath the blue cloth.

"Jhatan requests your aid. Please return at once. This message will repeat. Jhatan requests your aid..."

Reifnir could only look at his commander. "How long has this message been in transit?" He asked.

"Couldn't have been longer than a day or so, I imagine." Was the reply.

"I must leave at once. My people need me." He said, pocketing the orb.

"Aye, that they do. We'll miss you here. Do me a favor, will you?"

Reifnir turns back, looking at his now-former commander.

"That shield of yours is solid, but always watch your back. Wouldn't want someone to stick a knife in there when you're not looking."

With those last words of wisdom, Reifnir was off.

He had so many questions. Why him? Why did his people need his and anyone else who received that message's help? Why did they not send a representative? How long would he have to return before something unthinkable occurred? Would his skills be of any use once he returned home?

For now, all he could do was get home as fast as possible. Home; a place, frankly, that Reifnir thought he would never see again...

--

1. Why did you start traveling?
After serving in Jhatan's military for several years, Reifnir was promoted upwards into the service of Ta'kal, considered by many to have the strongest military on his home continent. He served with distinction for several years, until he received a strange message from Jhatan, asking him to return home. He had no choice; for the people of Jhatan, a call to retun home is not one that can be missed, by anyone who receives the message.

2. What's your business in Zel?
It's merely one of many important places on the road back to the nation of Jhatan. Being an isolated archipelago, Reifnir is going to have to basically go on a trip around the world to get there. Zel is a relatively central nation, so from there Reifnir hopes to hop on another couple of long ship voyages and be home in time to help his people.

3. Miura's Hope may be isolated like most Razor Sea towns, but that just means it has its own quirks. Give me a short description of something interesting on the island, and give me another for one of the townspeople.
One one of the island's many beaches stands a tower made entirely of glass. The glass is unbreakable, as plenty of folk have tried and demonstrated, and it has stood silent and closed for millennia. What could await those who dare try to open it? Perhaps an even more interesting question, what awaits those who find their way inside?

The only person who might know, Zandar Illtra, is the craziest person in all of Miura's Hope. Some say that it was his overuse of numenera. Some say it was the death of his closest family. Others will tell you that frankly, it's just because he's an old coot. He lives alone, but to those who visit, he tries to tell all sorts of tales about the tower, about how he found treasures and monsters both inside, from the worlds long past. Most people dismiss his claims as babbling, or worse, heresy. But for those with a patient ear, who knows what opportunities await?

--

pre:
Reifnir Cathan, the Honorable Glaive who Masters Defense
Links/Connections:
- You see that what the other PCs are doing is dangerous, and you'd like to help protect them.(Honorable)
- Pick one other PC. You once fought on opposite sides in combat. (Masters Defense)
- You were in the military and have friends that still serve. Your former commanders remembers you well. (Glaive)

Tier 1
- 
-
-
-
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might:  16/1
Speed:  10/1
Mind :  10/0

Skills:
Trained --
-Pleasant social interactions
-Discerning motives/Seeing through lies
-Climbing

Specialized --

Abilities
-Practiced with Armor
-Practiced with All Weapons
-Danger Sense (1 Speed:) Difficulty of initiative roll reduced one step
-Opportunist: Asset to attack enemies already attacked this round and in immediate range
-Shield Master

Cyphers 0/2
-

Oddities 0/1
-

Current Equipment
-Clothing
-Explorer's Pack
-Broadsword
-Heavy Crossbow
-Medium Armor
-Shield
-5 shins

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 15, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Boulder, the Diruk Glaive who Performs Feats of Strength

The typical Diruk doesn't interact much with humans and other organics. But Boulder has found that if you are traveling far from home it pays to get along well with the organics. And if you are going to interact with organics you may as well have a name that the organics could understand. And thus Boulder now uses the name, well, Boulder. As that isn't Boulder's real name, just an understandable name.

Of course one may wonder just why it is Boulder is traveling far from home and the answer is simple. Boulder is traveling far and wide in search of a suitable location to set up a new colony. Eventually Boulder will find a suitable local and begin producing nodules to produce new Diruk. But in the meantime Boulder is traveling with some organics and putting Boulder's great strength to use.

Why do I travel? I travel in search of a place to start a new colony. A new home for my people.

I have heard that the lands near Zel may be rather suitable to my kind. So I travel to Zel to find more exact rumors and directions to such lands. Perhaps my quest for a perfect place to start a new colony is almost over?

3. Miura's Hope may be isolated like most Razor Sea towns, but that just means it has its own quirks. Give me a short description of something interesting on the island, and give me another for one of the townspeople.

The caves, caverns and trenches beneath Miura's Hope are home to a number of vibrant, and tasty, crystals. Well tasty to the Diruk at least. A number of residents of Miura's Hope dive deep down and explore these underwater havens to harvest these crystals for the use of a number of local jewelry and handicrafts, as well as to sell to tourists and travelers passing through Miura's Hope. Talar Hazazi is a young boy who travels the deeps and harvests the crystals to sell to the passers by. He has a small stall on the outskirts of Miura's Hope, near the docks, where he sets up shop when not currently harvesting.

pre:
Boulder, the Diruk Glaive who Performs Feats of Strength
Links/Connections:
- ??? (Diruk)
- Pick two other PCs. They have a game where they ask you to perform harder and
harder feats of strength. Whether you play along is up to you. (Performs Feats of Strength)
- You saved the lives of a family when their house burned down. They’re indebted to you, and their neighbors
regard you as a hero. (Glaive)

Tier 1
- 
-
-
-
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might:   17/4
Speed:  10/1
Mind :  07/0

Skills:
Trained --
- Climbing
- Jumping

Specialized --
- Carrying
- Smashing Things

Abilities
- Practiced in Armor
- Practiced With All Weapons
- No Need for Weapons ()

- Stone Body (+3 to Armor, no benefit from wearing armor)
- Mighty (+2 Might Edge)
- Skills (Trained in carrying and smashing things)
- Inability at all Speed tasks
- Inability at tasks involving interacting with others in a pleasant manner
- Inability at initiative tasks
- Inability at running tasks
- Inability at swimming tasks
- Athlete (Trained in carrying, climbing, jumping, and smashing)
- Strong (+1 Might Edge)

Esoteries
-

Cyphers 2/2
- Extra Time
- Datasphere Siphon

Oddities 1/1
- A gyroscopic toy top that spins indefinitely if undisturbed.

Current Equipment
- ??? (Heavy Weapon)
- ??? (weapon)
- ??? (weapon)
- Light or medium armor
- An explorer’s pack
- Two cyphers (chosen for you by the GM)
- One oddity (chosen for you by the GM)
- 5 shins
Extra Time
Level: 5
Appearance: A bandolier with a golden clasp shaped like a clock.
Effect: The user gains up to three extra rounds. After using his action to activate this device, time slows down, and he can take up to three additional actions while the rest of the world seemingly stands still. He can make attacks, move, make a recovery roll, or take any other action allowed him. Actions are resolved normally. However, this process takes a toll. For every extra action he takes, the user suffers 3 points of damage.

Datasphere Siphon
Level: 6
Appearance: A green crystal shaped like a star that can attach to your body.
Effect: Tapping into the datasphere’s knowledge, the user can learn the answer to one question.

Oddity
A gyroscopic toy top that spins indefinitely if undisturbed.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 15, 2015

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Interest post.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Zhusirili Cent, the Mlox Nano who Talks to Machines

The seas are deep, and full of the mysteries land has forgotten. As certain as time passing, water always rises to claim the derelict remnants of aeons ended. What secrets lie hidden beneath the great Ocean of Tamat, lost to its vasty deeps? Perhaps even the ancient mysteries of life have answers there, on the ocean floor. Or not. The grandest questions of life are not Zhusirili's concern. He seeks only to answer the mysteries of one life, his own.

Zhusi is a Mlox, an enigmatic race of non-humans that live hidden among the humans they mimic. His story should be a simple one, but for the missing chapters that dominate his youth. The earliest clear memory standing above the murky fragments is finding his parents dead, killed by a malfunctioning cypher. Suddenly alone on an unfamiliar islet, he fled. The past never fully caught up with Zhusirili, only breaking through in fits and flashes, enough to understand his own nature and that of his lifeless parents.

For a while Zhusi shipped from island to island, hunting for a gleam of recognition in the eyes of strangers. Working as a cabin boy or comms monkey usually worked to get him to the next town, when repairs couldn't scrape together sufficient yield for passage.

Answers to questions, before I work them into proper backstory text:
1) Zhusi's parents died in an accident. They were the only other Mloxi Zhusirili was aware of, so he set out to discover others. He hasn't yet.

2)In his travels, he heard about a team of scholars planning an archaeological expedition. He seeks to join them as a mechanic, hoping to discover something of his origins.

3)Residents of Miura's Hope speak in a strange, oft unintelligible argot, calling their leaders by strange titles and naming their children odd names. Like this or this

pre:
Zhusirili Cent, the Mlox Nano who Talks to Machines

Pool/Edge  
  Tier:  1    Might:    7/0
Effort:  1    Speed:   11/0
 Armor:  0/1  Mind :   16/1

Links/Connections:
-  Pick one other PC. That character is aware of your Mloxi nature. (Mlox)
-  Pick one other PC. That character seems to have a terrible relationship with
   machines—or at least the machines that you communicate with. (Talks to Machines)
-  You remember nothing of your childhood and do not remember learning nano-wizardry,
   which strikes you as strange.  (Nano)

Skills:                     
- Numenera 
- Electrical Machines  

Abilities
-Practiced with Light Weapons
-Reflexive: +2 Speed Pool.

====Mlox Form====
-Protected: Force screen (+1 armor)
-Unaffected: +1 cypher limit 
-Skill: You are trained in Speed defense tasks.
-Skill: You are trained in visual and auditory perception.
-Skill: You are trained in all noncombat tasks pertaining to Speed and reflexes.
-Inability: The difficulty of all tasks involving deception, sneaking, and camouflage
            is increased by one step.
-Inability: The difficulty of all tasks involving charm, persuasion, and etiquette is
            increased by one step.
-Inability: The difficulty of all tasks requiring knowledge, memory, or lore is
            increased by one step.

====Human Form====
-Skill: You are trained in deception, sneaking, and camouflage.
-Skill: You are trained in all tasks involving charm, persuasion, and etiquette.
-Skill: You are trained in all tasks requiring knowledge, memory, or lore.
-Inability: The difficulty of all noncombat tasks involving speed and perception is 
            increased by one step. 

Esoteries and Powers
- Scan (2 Int)
- Machine Interface (2 Int)
- Distant Activation (1 Int)

Cyphers 4/4
- Floating Bubble
- Transformation Torque
- Mini Gate (Esoteric)

Oddities 0/1
- Light Harp

Current Equipment
- Clothing
- Buzzer
- "Abductive Maintenance" book about Numenera
- Tool belt with various tools
- 4 shins

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 15, 2015

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Kull, the Strong-Willed Jack who Employs Magnetism

They name themselves, in an older tongue the Chas Pri Naes, The Order of Incisive Brethren. A loosely organized group of roaming, self-appointed justicars who travel in search disorder and rot in order to purge it and restore harmony. Outsiders call them cutters, troublemakers and vigilantes, in varying tones of respect. For every story of a wise outsider dispelling a village's woes with words of wisdom before disappearing with the morning's tide? There is a darker tale. One where a stranger arrives and with bloodied blade, eliminates wickedness and a few bystanders along the way. The Order walks a delicate path, welcomed in some regions, tolerated in others and driven back on islands that hold long, red memories of justice gone wrong.

Kull is a neophyte of the order, inducted when a cutter fortuitously arrived just before an angry mob. She'd found evidence the fishersfolk's card games were rife with cheating, some of which had ruined her family's livelihood. And having discovered nobody else was willing to act, had chosen to do so herself. As her soon-to-be mentor put it, "You get credit for trying. But lose it all for not thinking it through. Hull-breaching one boat in an interconnected fleet? You'd kill the patient just to make sure they can't get sick again!"

Old Nolph tried his best to teach Kull the finer arts (as he saw them) of the Order but soon after they were forced to part ways over differences of opinion. Its been a long and arduous few years as Kull drifted from backwater island to derelict fleetisle, trying however she could to restore order and eliminate injustice. Or failing that, surviving one step ahead of the vengeful relatives and interested parties she's angered in her calling. She's trying but feels like she's getting nowhere, no matter how fine-tuned her senses or sharp her dagger.

Several places offered Kull and her spear a place of honor, a bed to call her own forever but each time she declines. When one becomes part of the system, her mentor taught, it is impossible to see the larger picture with all its implications. Stay outside, retain that outsider's eye. And so she has.

So Kull has spent what few shins she can spare for a boat to Zel. The Order can claim no central hierarchy or headquarters, yet there is an old cloister in Zel that's the next best thing, a mutually agreed resting place, sanctioned by an appreciative government.

But in the meantime Kull is stuck on Miura's Hope, an island riddled with partially flooded caves and tunnels which the locals use for everything, from keeping aquafarms to mooring skiffs and even living within. An island where nobody born here uses money except with outsiders, preferring some complicated system of tallies that she's just starting to puzzle out, looking for some hint of wrongness begging to be righted.

quote:

Kull, the Strong-Willed Jack who Employs Magnetism
Tier 1, Effort 1
Might 13, Edge 0
Speed 13, Edge 1
Intellect 14, Edge 0

Skills
Trained in sailing
Trained in resisting mental effects
Trained in tasks involving incredible focus or concentration

Inability
The difficulty of any task involving figuring out puzzles or problems, memorizing things or lore is increased by one step.

Abilities

Flex Skill: Each day choose one task (other than attack or defense) to be trained in
Practiced with Light and Medium weapons
Combat Ruse (1 Speed): Choose a creature within Short range. If you succeed on a Speed roll, the next character to attack that creature before the end of your next turn has an asset to that attack roll.
Hedge Magic (1 Intellect): Small, non-permanent effects.
Move Metal (1 Intellect): You can exert force on metal objects within short range for one round. Once activated, your power has an effective Might Pool of 10, a Might Edge of 1, and an Effort of 2 (approximately equal to the strength of a fit, capable, adult human), and you can use it to move metal objects, push against metal objects, and so on.

Equipment
Clothing (comfortable traveler's garb, expressionless mask)
Leather Jerkin (Light, 1 Armor)
Punching Dagger (Light, 2 damage)
Spear (Medium, 4 damage, can be thrown up to long range)
Explorer’s Pack
Light Tools
8 Shins

Cyphers
-
-

Oddities
-

Connections:
TBD

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Keter Jon

There's always a story like this one. Man wandering the wastes, doesn't talk about his past, because he's clearly looking for someone. or something. Doesn't matter. Everyone's seen these waste-rats before. Usually they wander off to the next town and are never heard from again. Nobody bothers to remember their names or faces much.

Except maybe one. Man comes into your dive. He just looks... tired. The way he holds himself, the way he sits in his seat, the way he introduces himself. Keter Jon. He's looking for someone. Holds up a little picture of... well, you think it's a lady, but with all the body mods and mutants out there, who knows?

Have you seen this being? Say yes, he asks for directions. Say no, he asks for the quickest way to the next town. Then he drinks, throws his shins on the counter, leaves. Nobody's seen him sleep in a bed or eat a meal whilst he's there. They have seen him pull out a shrapnel thrower and put holes in anyone who asks too many questions, or talks in the wrong tone of voice. And the one or two people who really run the world might get together and compare notes, and realize he's heading for Zel.

Now he's here, in the town that stinks of fish and salt water. He's stopped, note the secret rulers. He's watching the people. The way they do justice. There's a thing in white scaled armor like fine china, with no face and one red eye. And it passes judgement, in a voice like glass. They cut off a boy's hand for stealing fish. Keter knows that the boy had slept in a boat at the edge of the reef, and that his job had been to dive into the ocean and pluck razor-shells from the cold water in order to sell for almost nothing on a ramshackle market stall.

He doesn't agree. No sir. Not one bit.

quote:

Keter Jon, A Driven Jack who Metes Out Justice
Tier 1, Effort 1
Might 13, Edge 0
Speed 13, Edge 1
Intellect 12, Edge 0

Skills:
- Trained in wilderness survival
- Trained in intellect defense actions

Inability
Your commitment to your goals makes it hard to relate to others who don’t share your objectives or to notice things that don’t pertain to your present mission. The difficulty of all perception tasks is increased by one step.

Abilities
Driven to hunt down a mysterious person.
Flex Skill: At the beginning of each day, choose one task (other than attack or defense) to be trained in.
Practiced With Light and Medium Weapons
Trained Without Armor: Trained in Speed defense actions when not wearing armor. Enabler
Pierce (1 speed): This is a well-aimed, penetrating ranged attack. You make an attack and inflict 1 additional point of damage if your weapon has a sharp point. Action.
Driven Skill: Each day, choose one skill that you believe will clearly help you reach your goal. You are trained in tasks related to that kill.
Make Judgement: Designation. Can assign an "innocent" or "guilty" label to creatures within immediate range. The difficulty of tasks to socially interact with the innocent is decreased by one step, and the difficulty of attacks against the guilty is decreased by one step. Is removed until changed or shown proof it is incorrect. Action.

Shins: 8
Equipment:
Clothing
"Destiny", a shrapnel thrower (reskinned crank crossbow, medium, 4 damage, reload)
Dagger (Light, 2 damage, can be thrown up to short range)
Shield
Light Armor
Explorer's Pack
Pack of light tools

Cyphers (2 at a time)
-
-

Oddities
-

Links and Connections:
- You came of age in the wild and are used to living rough.
- A PC found me wounded and nursed me back to health.
- Pick one other PC. You strongly suspect that this person has a past that might involve serious crimes or wrongdoing. You have no proof, however, and you’ve never witnessed him do anything seriously wrong.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Apping a duder later, probably a jack. Probably diggin up Uxi or something elsd entirely

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Closing recruitment, though I'll give folks until Saturday afternoon to finish up their backstories and such. AzMiLion, if you can finish an app by that time I'll consider it in my choices!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Closing recruitment, though I'll give folks until Saturday afternoon to finish up their backstories and such. AzMiLion, if you can finish an app by that time I'll consider it in my choices!

Out all day tommorow, saw this one a wee bit too late.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Since there's only six apps, and you said possibly up to six, wouldn't it just make the most sense to take all of us?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

Since there's only six apps, and you said possibly up to six, wouldn't it just make the most sense to take all of us?

I mentioned six as being rare, as it depended on if I got a large amount of good apps, which funnily enough I did! I'll take all the characters apped, though Ryuujin please remember to answer the chargen questions.

So yes, feel free to work on your connections now while I get the game up, but feel free to do any leftover pones after it starts. I'll have your Numenera selections up soon as well.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Yay! Okay, cool.

My talks with machines connection carries something of a penalty, does anyone volunteer to have that connection with me?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

CYPHER LIST

Barghuz
Amplification Parasite
Level: 10
Appearance: A long, bioluminescent insect with paddles for feet and a pincher for a mouth. It sits in a glass bottle of liquid, where it twitches from time to time.
Effect: Upon eating the parasite, the user chooses one stat and the GM chooses a different stat. The difficulty of any roll related to the user’s chosen stat is reduced by two steps, and the difficulty of any roll involving the GM’s chosen stat is increased by two steps. The parasite dies after 1d6 hours, and the effect ends when the user violently expels it from her body.

Portal Ring
Level: 9
Appearance: A small, gold ring about the size of your hand. A swirled pattern appears when you hold it to the light.
Effect: The cypher automatically affixes itself to any flat surface on which it is placed. It instantly widens until it reaches 5 feet (2 m) in diameter or until the ring reaches an edge, at which point it stops expanding. The surface inside the ring vanishes, opening a hole through the material or to a depth of 5 feet (2 m).

Echo Crystal
Level: 7
Appearance: A multifaceted, lavender crystal with a rough back that can attach to a weapon.
Effect: When the device is activated, the crystal projects a second weapon in the air formed from solidified light. It follows the weapon it copies, floating through the air and mimicking the original’s movements. Whenever the user takes an action to attack with the original weapon, he makes an additional attack with the copy as part of the same action. The second weapon inflicts the same damage as the original. After 28 hours, the copy dissipates into a cloud of sparkling motes

Oddity
A sphere that produces vigorous bubbles when placed in water.

Reifnir
Telepathy Implant
Appearance: Two sheets of paper, each one with an identical, blue metal tattoo that can be applied to skin.
Effect: For one hour, the device enables long-range mental communication with anyone who has a matching
implant. These devices are always found in groups of two or more

Lutin (Light Drops)
Appearance: A chrome device mounted on a leather wrist-strap. Pressing the button the back fires the payload at long range. Can
also be thrown against the ground or other hard object in short range.
Effect: Bursts in a cloud of contained light drops within short distance. The cloud lingers for 1d6 rounds unless conditions indicate otherwise. Roll to determine the effect:
01–50 Blindness. Living sighted creatures are blinded by the refractions of light for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level.
51–75 Sleep. Living sighted creatures are soothed by the warm glow of the light and fall asleep for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level or until woken by a violent action or an extremely loud noise.
76–00 Dazzle. Living sighted creatures are distracted by the dazzling array of lights and colors, and they become dazed for a number of rounds equal to the cypher level. During this time, the difficulty of all tasks they perform is modified by one step to their detriment.

Oddity
Shirt that displays your muscles, bones, and internal organs when you wear it.

Boulder
Extra Time
Appearance: A bandolier with a golden clasp shaped like a clock.
Effect: The user gains up to three extra rounds. After using his action to activate this device, time slows down, and he can take up to three additional actions while the rest of the world seemingly stands still. He can make attacks, move, make a recovery roll, or take any other action allowed him. Actions are resolved normally. However, this process takes a toll. For every extra action he takes, the user suffers 3 points of damage.

Datasphere Siphon
Appearance: A green crystal shaped like a star that can attach to your body.
Effect: Tapping into the datasphere’s knowledge, the user can learn the answer to one question.

Oddity
A gyroscopic toy top that spins indefinitely if undisturbed.

Zhusirili Cent
Floating Bubble
Level: 1
Appearance: A clear, iridescent bracelet
Effect: Upon activation, the user is encapsulated in a bubble of force for ten minutes. This bubble floats at least 1 foot (0.3m) in the air at all times but moves as the user wishes (requiring an action to do so, just like normal movement) vertically or horizontally, up to a short distance each round. The user cannot penetrate the bubble, and neither can forces from the outside. Not even ambient damage gets through. Dealing at least 50 points of damage to the bubble (which has no Armor) destroys it. Damaging the bubble does not harm the user inside until the bubble is destroyed, at which point he falls from whatever height the bubble was at, which is at
least 1 foot (0.3 m) in the air.

Transformation Torque
Appearance: A necklace made of pliable, black material and silver circuitry.
Effect: Placing the necklace around your neck activates the device, which then sends small projections (similar to cilia) beneath the skin. These projections release a genetic compound that causes a mutation in the wearer for one hour. Additionally, the necklace houses a visage changer, which allows the wearer to hide his mutation if desired. If that’s the case, the wearer gets the effects of the mutation but others cannot see, hear, or otherwise sense the mutation. Different necklaces have different effects. Roll d100:
01–50 Causes a beneficial mutation
51–80 Causes a powerful mutation
81–90 Causes a harmful mutation
91–95 Causes a distinctive mutation
96–00 Causes a cosmetic mutation

Mini Gate [2 slots]
Appearance: A featureless metal sphere. When activated, it roils with multicolor flames.
Effect: When activated, this device creates a tiny portal at the user’s wrist and another at a spot within long range that she can see. Her hand emerges from the second gate, allowing her to manipulate objects, attack with a light weapon, or pull a small object through the gate. The gate lasts for one round per cypher level.

Oddity
A tiny harp with strings made of glowing energy.

Kull
Summoning Staff [Two slots]
Level: 8
Appearance: A metallic staff with a small attached cylinder.
Effect: This device requires two separate actions to fully activate. The first action involves the small cylinder, which has a glass lens on one end. With the cylinder, the user locates a random ultraterrestrial being (whose level is equal to or less than the cypher level) dwelling somewhere other than the Ninth World. The being becomes visible in the lens. On the next action, the user can use the staff to open a portal and pull the ultraterrestrial into this world. The ultraterrestrial cannot resist, but once it arrives, it is not automatically compelled to do anything. Unless it can return under its own power or through some other means, it is in this world to stay.When the user finds an ultraterrestrial in the first step of this process, he can choose not to bring it into this world, but he cannot use the device to find another being.

Oddity
A cylinder that clears the air of smoke, foul smells and the like in an enclosed room in one minute’s time.

Keter Jon
Instant Boat
Level: 9
Appearance: A small, bare metal cylinder with flecks of orange paint and the word 'BOAT' written on the side in crude letters. The lid screws off to reveal a series of tiny holes.
Effect: With the addition of water and air, this small device expands into a simple boat. The boat is 10 feet long by 4 feet wide (3 m by 1m) and is made from a type of lightweight molded foam that begins to disintegrate after a day.

Truth Inducer
Appearance: A shiny black glove with purple metal diodes on the fingers.
Effect:One creature touched by the device
answers questions truthfully for one minute.

Oddity
A charm bracelet that randomly adds new charms (and occasionally shins).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sorry got so involved in trying to figure out the character I forgot about the questions in the OP.

When you create your character, answer these three questions:

Why do I travel? I travel in search of a place to start a new colony. A new home for my people.

I have heard that the lands near Zel may be rather suitable to my kind. So I travel to Zel to find more exact rumors and directions to such lands. Perhaps my quest for a perfect place to start a new colony is almost over?

The caves, caverns and trenches beneath Miura's Hope are home to a number of vibrant, and tasty, crystals. Well tasty to the Diruk at least. A number of residents of Miura's Hope dive deep down and explore these underwater havens to harvest these crystals for the use of a number of local jewelry and handicrafts, as well as to sell to tourists and travelers passing through Miura's Hope. Talar Hazazi is a young boy who travels the deeps and harvests the crystals to sell to the passers by. He has a small stall on the outskirts of Miura's Hope, near the docks, where he sets up shop when not currently harvesting.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Its been a busy weekend but I'll have connection stuff up today.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
The only thing I have that requires another person would be 'fought on opposite sides in combat.' Seeing as how there's another glaive, I think it makes sense for Boulder and Reifnir to have fought before. For example, Shinnok could have a population mostly made of Diruks, and so the two of them could have fought, since the two countries are always in and out of war. The country's population could be in decline, which explains why Boulder and other Diruk have chosen to leave the country and try to 'repopulate,' so to speak.

However, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be on a volunteer basis, so really I could make up something like the above for anybody, just an example :v:

As for the talks to machines thing, I don't think it implies that the PC is bad at using machines, necessarily, just that they don't like them very much, or don't think they're worth using over, say, manual labor. For instance, a guy who would rather use a push mower than an electric one. If we go with that interpretation, I'd be happy to take that one; Reifnir could turn into an old-fashioned honorable sort, who believes in the strength of one's self above all else; sort of a 'why do we use these things to shortcut what we should do ourselves?' kind of guy.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
The text has any machine that my character is 'friendly with' that is operating near the chosen PC to be counted in all ways as one level lower, unless that would be beneficial to either character. That's why I didn't necessarily want to saddle another player with the connection unless they were up to be worse with non-aggressive electrical machines all the time. If not your character, it makes sense for Kull (who Employs Magnetism) to interfere with machines and take the connection.

My other connection (PC knows you're Mlox), I'm picking Barghuz, unless there are objections.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

CaPensiPraxis posted:

My other connection (PC knows you're Mlox), I'm picking Barghuz, unless there are objections.
Works for me! If anyone wants my connections, feel free to just claim 'em!

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
My connections are:
Descriptor: another PC convinced Kull that joining the group would be in her best interests. Who thinks a spear-wielding vigilante makes a good traveling companion?
Focus: another PC's metal belongings shudder and rattle when they're in short range of Kull using her powers. I'm thinking maybe Reifinir?

I'll gladly take the "technical difficulties" connection from Zhusirili.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
On further thought, my Mlox connection is kind of boring. It's exceedingly likely that other characters will eventually be in the loop. I'm going to rejigger it to have the same 'shared secret' concept with more room for complications.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So, for my connections, I have that a PC nursed Keter Jon back to health, and that Keter suspects someone is guilty of something.

I think Kull might be a good choice for the former. If paired with Kull's "convinced to join the group," we've got a little story of Keter telling his story and convincing Kull to help track down this person. Sound good?

For the guilty stuff, Zhusi - Zhusi's past is mysterious and could be potentially discovered and propelled by some prodding from Keter.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

The Deleter posted:

So, for my connections, I have that a PC nursed Keter Jon back to health, and that Keter suspects someone is guilty of something.

I think Kull might be a good choice for the former. If paired with Kull's "convinced to join the group," we've got a little story of Keter telling his story and convincing Kull to help track down this person. Sound good?

For the guilty stuff, Zhusi - Zhusi's past is mysterious and could be potentially discovered and propelled by some prodding from Keter.

Works for me, Kull is all for righting wrongs and finding somebody who probably feels the same way.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
My connections are:

- ??? (Diruk)
- Pick two other PCs. They have a game where they ask you to perform harder and harder feats of strength. Whether you play along is up to you. (Performs Feats of Strength)

and

- You saved the lives of a family when their house burned down. They’re indebted to you, and their neighbors regard you as a hero. (Glaive)

I didn't see any suggested connections for Diruk.

Shinnok having a large population of Diruk, and thus Boulder fought Reifnir could work. I didn't really expand on where Boulder originated so that could work. Though the reason for the Diruk to fight might be less than clear since they don't really think like humans.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Thread is up! Feel free to continue working on your connections while we play.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Do you have posting speed expectations or any guidelines on posting form(at)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Alright Ryu, I'm rolling with Boulder and Reifnir having fought before. Doesn't have to have been in war necessarily, but just to pick something. In exchange, you can pick me and someone else for the Feats of Strength connection; probably Keter or Kull? I guess it really doesn't matter too much.

• Locked thread