Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, like ten posts someone wanted to know what to tell their friend about how bad the air force can be. Well, exhibit A, the last few posts. Now make that kind of poo poo your entire life. Where and when you sleep, what and when you eat. What you can say, can't say and must say to a specific person and on and on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

Because he was such a pain in the rear end and wouldn't go away.

For all our viewers playing the home game who might be thinking about joining; this is the basis of like 75% of why any- and everything in the military gets done. The other 25% is "Go gently caress yourself, I have rank. Do it."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Up front disclaimer that I was (fortunately) never a recruiter.

They lie all the time so good on you for being apprehensive on this one. That said from the people I've seen make it in, on this one the recruiter is being straight with you by telling you to lie by ommision with someone else. If a bear fills out paper work in the woods and nobody sees it or asks about it or...something.

Granted I joined during the surge so things probably have changed since then but someone on adderal as a kid could have a waiver pencil whipped in place astonishingly fast at that point. That you're even asking makes me think my information is probably out of date.

Either way consider what Godholio is saying. This convoluted approach to pants-on-head stupid bullshit is what they're doing to you before you sign on the dotted line. It does not, in absolutely any way, improve once they literally own your rear end and can dictate every last aspect of your life. Yes, even that one. The one thing scratching at the back of your mind, making you think "Man that would really suck. It'll be ok though, they wouldn't."

They would and they will and every one of us here will laugh at you because you were warned.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

What’s everyone’s experience with the DLAB?

All I know about linguists is there's something that makes them all loving weirdos, and I say this as an MOS that had (and probably still has) like a 75% chance of anybody else in the MOS being able to hold a full conversation about World of Warcraft and Dungeons and Dragons. Heard them say the test is pretty hard though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can you even join in your 30s? I was considered old as gently caress joining in my mid-20s, like that was literally my basic nickname, and I was pretty sure I was bumping up against the cutoff age.

Even if you somehow can you'd still be one stupid motherfucker to do it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

unless they've recently deployed.

Mighty generous of you to assume they know that just because they deployed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Security+ is a pretty important certification and it's not that hard. I did it on my own with a $30 study guide, flash cards and a month or so of studying. That plus a clearance and basic trouble shooting skills (read: know how to use google) is basically a job offer right there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It is also possible to get a clearance without joining. Easy? No. OPM is a cluster gently caress of titanic proportions right now. Still possible and if the choice is enlisting for four years to get a clearance or waiting years in your current job while a contracting company fights to get you one, I know which I would take. It is one hell of a nice benefit of joining but it's not the absolute only way.

You'll probably have to pay the piper in some form with a contracting company, I'd imagine a contract duration requirement or something maybe.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do note that it can differ for each branch. You mention Navy ROTC in your question. Are you looking at going in the Navy or the Army?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Feel free to run their bullshit by this thread. They are used car salesmen so treat what they say like that, get independent confirmation and take any paperwork they give you home to read it in depth. Expect pressure tactics to prevent any of the above.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't do any of them it's all a trap.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I just totally deuce'd the gently caress out when I was done with active duty so I still had IRR time, meaning this is not first hand experience but foggy memories of paperwork from years ago. I'm preeeettttyy sure if you do reserve time after active duty that satisfies your IRR requirement. If they've done active duty, then reserve, and I'm not stupider than usual, they should be totally done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

Thanks for the write-up.

Yes, I would be going through OTS. It appears all three rated fields have a maximum age of 33, so I'm automatically disqualified from those. Seems I'm stuck with non-rates. So you can request certain non-rated jobs, but there's no guarantee that you'll get anything remotely close to them, and you won't know until well past the point of no return. Not great, but also about what I expected.

I guess the question is whether I think a four-year stint with a totally unknown job (one that may have absolutely zero employment value outside of the military) is worth it at this point in my life.

Speaking as enlisted trash, so this is outside observation not inside knowledge, it never really seemed to me to make a lot of difference what kind of officer you were. They all looked like middle or upper management, doing largely the same kind of organizing and support. Some details looked different in each specific implementation but overall that seemed to be a function of the unit and its mission, not the officer's role itself. It was all meetings, spreadsheets, phone calls and calendars as far as the eye could see.