Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Given that she literally didn't keep in touch with her best friend in the world when she moved to Seattle, I feel this isn't saying much.

I think Max would like to have kept in touch with Chloe, but her awkwardness and insecurity got in the way.

Chloe's dad had just died, and then Max "abandons" her and moves to Seattle with her parents. That's a heck of a difficult first letter to write when you're an insecure teen who overthinks everything. So she leaves it for a bit - after all, she's busy with life in a new city and a new school. Then it's been a few months without writing, which makes Max feel even worse about it, making it even harder to actually write that letter. Maybe she starts rationalizing it: "Chloe probably hates me for abandoning her; She won't want to hear from me now" or "She's probably made some new friends who are way cooler than me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, Jefferson might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was certainly lovely behaviour coming from an adult and an educator, but the whole situation was caused by what happened at the Vortex Club party, and for that, we can only blame Nathan.

I have played the game, and that is the option that I picked, for the same reasons - I'm not going to let any knowledge of future consequences sway my votes here.

I've seen a playthrough where the Mr. Jefferson option was picked, but I had no idea Max getting suspended was even a possibility at this point. I wonder how that plays out?

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, the music in this game is generally great, and in particular the selections for the end-episode montages are on point. This and "Obstacles" for episode one really set the mood really well.

The choice in Principal Wells' office where I actually stopped playing the game first time. It was getting pretty late, and I was feeling quite drained after the "rooftop incident" - though I did manage to save Kate - that I didn't have the energy to worry about the possible consequences of blaming Nathan. That, and not being sure that it was actually going to be the end of the episode made me decide to quit for the evening, and I didn't load the game back up. New episodes seemed to be coming out surprisingly quickly, so I decided to wait until the whole game was out.

I got around to playing through the rest of it last month, and it became my favourite game of 2015.

As an aside, I'm glad we didn't choose to blame Mr. Jefferson (though he does kinda deserve it) on the basis of a full transcript of his conversation with Kate, as you're not that likely to hear all of it in the game - as evidenced by Panzer Skank not even knowing that you could.

And Long Live Lisa the plant!

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Well we only posted it because I heard most of it on my first time through. It's not really about likelyhood so much as the personality type of the player, and I rewound to hear the full text of basically every combination you stumble across in the game. :v:

True. Did you also go and listen in on Jefferson's phone conversation?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

How does the ending change if Kate jumps?

There's a police officer in the Principal's office, and in the ending montage it has a shot of a memorial to Kate outside the dorm building where she fell.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
"Imagine four toilet rolls on a cliff..."

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, good to see a better side of Mr. Jefferson after his poor reaction to Kate earlier.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

It seems like both of them had high hopes for the whole thing but nobody ended up being happy with it. Oh well. Good thing gruff guard has it all on his security cameras!

The security cameras haven't been installed yet - that's just David Madsen's plans. The petition we signed in episode 1 (which at this point is still just yesterday) was to stop them being installed.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
If that envelope really holds $5,000 then they've got to be high denomination bills. 50 $100 bills in an envelope is really suspicious, no matter what is written on it...

Something I noticed has changed since I played the game: When Max looks through the contest photos, she originally said that the second photo (the one of the guy at a desk) was Victoria's (and "pretty loving sweet"), and the third photo was described as Daniel's. I guessed at the time that might have been a mix up, and it looks like I was right.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
If you pick the Don't Kiss option, Chloe says "Just admit you already macked on me and used your rewind!" which is pretty funny if you did indeed do that.

Personally, I'm in the "Never Not Kiss Chloe" camp.

On the more pressing issue, both options are good, but I have to side with Pancakes for that one.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Leaving Chloe's feelings out of this, I'm not sure we should help David hide his creepy behaviour from his wife. She does deserve to know, and if he can't sufficiently explain or justify his actions to her, she has every right to ask him to leave.

I do think he does have reasons for the surveillance, but he needs to discuss it with Joyce, not cover it up.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I know the vote is over, but I would like to point out that Joyce says "you better go to a hotel until we figure this out." It does sound like she going to give him a chance to explain once everybody's calmed down.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
The first time we met Frank, he threatened Chloe with a knife. Just now he's tried to attack us for spilling his precious beans on the floor.

Chloe talks a lot of poo poo, and acts impulsively, and downright stupidly at times, but she's not been violent at all in the time we've spent with her.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
This section kinda blew my mind when I played the game.

The music for that ending sequence is "Kids Will Be Skeletons", by Mogwai, btw.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I always thought this was a neat little bit of characterisation.

To me, it seems like AlternaMax, leaving Arcadia Bay for Seattle under happier circumstances, was able to be "not such a shy, cliche geek" at her new school, made friends easier, and probably fell in with the "cool kids". This helped her do the same when returning to Arcadia, but having all these friends led her to grow distant from Chloe, even though she did at least stay in touch a little.

Max Prime, dealing with her own grief over William's death, and guilt over "abandoning" Chloe, finds it harder to open up and make friends, and when she does, they're more likely her fellow geeks, not the popular kids. She also can't forget about Chloe, even though she can't bring herself to contact her.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Coffeehitler posted:

That would be a slam dunk choice for pro bono work.

But they would have to find a lawyer to do it, explain the details of the case, and possibly testify, all additional stress the Price's don't really need. Plus once they realised that Chloe's condition was not going to improve, they may have decided that her attending school would not be practical, even with disabled access in place.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

namesake posted:

I think a good question would be what if Max took something like a photo of Chloe and her dad (in Paris or something) from this reality and then went back to the original course of events and then gave Chloe the photo. Considering how physical objects move with Max when she does alter time it should be possible, but would it be a good thing to do? She isn't burdening anyone in this reality with the choice of who lives or dies but she's already told blue-haired Chloe about her powers so would letting her have a memento from the other side really be out of line? Chloe would probably (definitely) freak out but I wonder if she'd just treasure the picture or insist that Max change history again?

Max can't carry objects with her when "Quantum Leaping" into photos - she literally just takes over that body at that point, and then leaps back into the new "present" version of her when she's finished meddling with the past.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
So they apparently released a Japanese version of the game a few weeks ago. Here's the Japanese Episode 1 trailer. The only changes seem to be the voices - no super-kawaii-desu versions of Max and Chloe.

It's not officially available outside of Japan, but if you want to play Life Is Strange: Weeaboo Edition, go to steam://install/425570 and it'll install the Japanese Language Pack, and then you can select Japanese voices in the settings.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, I do quite like the Japanese voices - "Maxu!" "Kuroe!"

The trailer is the same as the original launch trailer, including the music. The track at the end is Glass Walls by Nik Ammar, which doesn't appear in the game.

I know at least the episode 5 trailer also used non-game music - Power to Progress by Darren and Steven Loveday. Not sure about the other ones.

Surprise Pizza fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2016

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
The Japanese Life Is Strange twitter account has been retweeting some adorable anime-style fanart.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
In non-dunk related news, Love is Strange, a fan-made visual novel based on Life is Strange, was released today. It's basically a lesbian dating sim? You, as Max, get to romance one of Chloe, Kate, Victoria or Rachel Amber.

It's set in an alternate universe (and not the alternate universe from the game with wheelchair Chloe and Vortex Max), without time-travel powers and missing girls, so I'm not sure if there'll be any spoilers, but it might be best avoided if you don't know how Life is Strange itself ends.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
There is another Life is Strange visual novel in development, but that's set after the game, so it's massively spoilery.

Panzer Skank posted:

look man sometimesalways you just want the girls to kiss ok

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I know Frank is not the most stable or rational of people but it seemed jarring in the conversation that he flipped out about "Blackwell kids expecting free stuff" when we had just given him hundreds of dollars in cash as had been previously agreed.

That was Chloe paying him back money he'd loaned her, though.

-

An interesting thing to note about this scene (might be considered very slightly spoilery, I guess?) is that it guarantees that Chloe has a gun by the end of it. If Frank has David's gun, and Chloe didn't pick up Nathan's, the three possible outcomes are: 1) Chloe gets bitten by Pompidou (forced rewind), 2) Things are resolved peacefully and Frank gives the gun back to Chloe, or 3) Chloe struggles with Frank for the gun and ends up shooting him in the leg.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
From talking to Officer Berry at the Two Whales, when you're trying to get the key to Frank's RV.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I actually really enjoy the conversation with Logan here. I mean, he's a total douchebag fratboy dudebro, but at least he's kinda refreshingly straightforward about it?

If you don't pick "You're a dick", he offers to take you out to the field and "show you some moves...give you a touchdown..."

Max's response? "Logan, don't make me hurt you."

I dunno, always tickled me for some reason, especially with Logan's "drat, that was way more exciting than a dance..." reply.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Huh, the music video for Got Well Soon was posted on October 4th, 2013 - the day of the Vortex Club party where Kate was drugged... :tinfoil:

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
There is also the phone call (polsy link) Jefferson has towards the end of episode two, which at the very least sounds suspicious, and could be Jefferson trying to calm down a freaking out Nathan, and therefore could be the phone call referred to in the note.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Kay Plays cottoned on to the fact that Jefferson was gonna be the bad guy in like the first five minutes of playing, it was great.

I was watching her LP during my own playthrough (I watched her videos for a chapter after I'd finished it), so while I thought she was probably joking (at least a little) with her immediate "It's Jefferson, he's clearly evil," reaction, when I got to the end of episode 4, my reaction was more of a "Huh, she was right!" than a "Holy poo poo!!! Mr. Jefferson!!!"

There's another aspect that she picks up on pretty early on that hasn't been fully revealed yet, too, so while I would recommend her play through as a good one, I'd suggest not checking it out yet if you don't want to be potentially spoiled on a fairly major plot point.

---

On another, "avoiding spoilers" related note, I've played the Love Is Strange visual novel that I posted about a few weeks back, and we're now passed the one potential spoiler in it.
In it, the photography teacher is not Mr. Jefferson, but a version of the Hawt Dawg Man with Jefferson's beard and glasses, who is, despite the beard, gender-neutral (referred to as "they" and called "Mx. Dawg").

Anyway, I'd recommend checking it out if you like the characters but would like something a bit lighter and fluffier (and gayer) than the direction the real game has suddenly taken. It contains 100% fewer people getting shot in the head!

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

namesake posted:

Chloe does, Max seems to be for stopping Nathan any way they can. Anyway it's not a point worth puzzling over too much because it would ruin the story if they did.

Chloe is anti-authority anyway, believes the police are in the Prescott's pockets, and is so angry over Rachel's death that she just wants to straight up kill Nathan. Max, I think, would maybe go to the police/FBI, but knows that Chloe would go straight after Nathan anyway, and is more concerned with backing up and protecting Chloe - and she needs to be present at the confrontation to be able to use her powers. At this point, her priorities would be 1) Protect Chloe, 2) Stop Nathan, 3) Prevent Chloe from killing Nathan, in that order.

quote:

So what happens if you blame Jefferson after Kates suicide attempt and he's not supposed to present the award? He still shows up as irresponsible dick adult at a party? Come to think of it he must have been right behind Chloes car the entire way after they leave for him to get them like that.

Jefferson's still the photography teacher, so he'd still be judging the contest, he'd just not be going to San Francisco with the winner as the school wants him out of the public eye for a while due to the Kate situation.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Too bad she wasn't prepared for having her powers instantly and completely turned off by a syringeful of kryptonite.

Well, you know, there's having priorities, and then there's successfully executing on those priorities...They are two very different things.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I'm not particularly sold on the performance for Mr. Jefferson in the Dark Room. Rather than "Oh, his nice teacher persona is a lie and he's actually a snarling psychopath," I think it would be more chilling if he were played exactly the same (maybe with occasional outbursts), so he is still the "hip" teacher who just happens to like drugging and photographing girls and thinks that is a perfectly fine thing to do.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Edit: Oh, new page. There was a new video on the last page, if anybody missed it!

Panzer Skank posted:

Hi good morning! Time for a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Max has... ummm fixed everything? Everything seems great. No problems here!:siren:

We also finally got some new journal pages! Here they are:

*And some spacing because I'm about to discuss stuff from the end of the video*

*Watch the video first!*

I guess Panzer will go through this in the next video, but:

Basically, after Max tears the photo in the past and then leaves that timeframe, "normal" Max takes over, and things proceed exactly as they normally did during the game (remember, normal Max knows nothing about Jefferson and the Dark Room), except that she has the torn photo in her journal, rather than discarding it in the girls bathroom. So she still ends up in the Dark Room with Jefferson, where she would normally use the first selfie to go back and text David about Jefferson. However, Jefferson sees the torn photo, gets pissed and burns her Journal and the other photos, so she can't go back and make that second change to the timeline.

It's kinda paradoxical within the current timeline, but I think it makes sense from the perspective of Max's personal timeline.

But yeah, Max basically sucks at re-writing timelines.

First time she tries it, she gets Chloe paralysed.
Second time (ignoring the small changes in the Dark Room), if she'd just texted David and not handed her photo in, she'd still be in Arcadia Bay and not San Francisco.
Third time, if she'd just managed to destroy the photo more thoroughly, or hidden it somewhere - or if she could reach her phone through the "photo boundary" and text David again, everything would be OK, too. Well, OK-ish.

Surprise Pizza fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 2, 2016

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Shot by Nathan in the girl's bathroom.
Accidentally shot herself (via ricochet) in the Junkyard - not necessarily fatally, though.
Hit by train.
Euthanized by Max (alternate universe)
Mauled by Pompidou - not necessarily fatal?
Headshot by Jefferson.

I think that's it?

So three "definite" deaths, one possible death of alterna-Chloe, and two at-least-very-bad-woundings.

Edit:

Of those, I think only the Nathan and Jefferson shootings require time-travel based fate-fuckery to avoid - the other ones you can do things "right" or quickly enough to avoid. Not sure about the train one; Can Max save Chloe first time there, or does it need at least a little rewinding?

Surprise Pizza fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2016

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Shot herself in the chest in the junkyard though, I'm sure if the game didn't stop you and make you rewind after a bit she'd certainly bleed out.

I get the impression that it's not a very powerful gun though (Doesn't Frank describe it as a "pea-shooter" or something like that?), and I'd assume that the ricochet would take a fair amount of energy out of the round. I'm definitely far from an expert on firearms, but I'd think that could be potentially survivable, depending on precisely where it hit her. Max has a phone to call for an ambulance, or could drive Chloe's truck to get her to hospital.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, but in the course of an investigation, who's to say a little bit of evidence might go astray here are there? Enough to let members of the Prescott family get off scot-free?

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
But, teenagers. Specifically, angry teenager with strong anti-authority leanings and poor impulse control.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I think the game should have an "awkward handshake" option for Warren there.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that thing is miles away from the actual town. If people were capable of getting to it they probably wouldn't need to worry about the tornado.

Yeah, Kate mentions remembering driving for a long time while she was drugged, and Nathan had to pay Frank double to get him to drive out there.

I guess if anybody cared enough, they could check David's GPS co-ordinates and figure out the distance.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why did all of these people come to town to begin with. Aren't a good chunk of them Maxwell students? The school up on the side of the mountain well outside of town!? Who sees a tornado and decides "I need to get me some of that!" like these people apparently did. Why the hell are they still here!

We see Evan, Alyssa and Warren from the school. Evan definitely would have come down to photograph the storm, Warren was presumably in the Two Whales, either eating, or maybe to ask Joyce if she'd seen Max. Not sure why Alyssa was there, but she could be doing any number of things in town.

We also don't know how quickly the tornado appeared - after all, it is some kinda of mystical time travel storm, it could literally appeared out of nowhere.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

How many terrible timelines have we left in our wake? There's at least two different realities where we are trapped with Mr. Jefferson. Then there's probably another where alt-Max wakes up next to her dead best friend with no idea how she got there. I assume Art Gallery Max is having a panic attack as she realizes that she cannot jump back through her gallery piece and save her best friend.

My interpretation is that we're altering a single timeline, not creating multiple divergent ones.

chiasaur11 posted:

They're probably the ones behind the tornado. This is all a power play by the big meteorologist unions.

Well, they seem to have managed to get eclipses as classed as "weather", so maybe you're right.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

my favorite part of the nightmare sequence: the loving bottles return. This really is hell.

Yes, and the fact that it's completely optional and only for an achievement, but the player may well not realise that...Nice bit of trolling, Dontnod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
I'd be interested to see how people's reactions to Episode 5 in general were affected by how they experienced it (episodically, straight after the other episodes, or through the LP), so I made a poll.

• Locked thread