Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I think that most pet owners have probably thought about it, like you're reading the label and thinking "REAL pieces of chicken, hell, just add some drat curry and we're in business", but most people are too chicken poo poo to go through with it. The only pet I've ever had was a turtle and it ate nearly everything so he got leftover salad and such a lot, so he ate my food more than I ate his feed, but I also ate some dry pellet turtle food once and it wasn't good.

Review of Dry Pellet Turtle Feed on 1-3 STARS scale where 1 is BAD, 2 is OK and 3 is GOOD, I'm going to have to say that it only gets 1 STAR because it tasted bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sweet molasses feed and timothy hay are loving delicious.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I thought this was the "have you ever tried to eat your pets" thread and was very confused about the tried part.

When I worked at a dog daycare they never gave me a break to eat lunch so I regularly scarfed samples from the local hippie dog bakery. The molasses cookies were the best.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I thought this was the "have you ever tried to eat your pets" thread and was very confused about the tried part.

Hahaha so did I and I was all ready to come in here armed with my recipe for conure soup (it would work if he stopped flying out of the pot)

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Feel free to edit the title into Pets' or Pet's or whichever is more correct. I don't want to hear about people eating their pets.

Now, looking at the thread, we're only 3 people who are honourable enough to admit to having eaten some type of animal feed, but if I had to guess, most people have done this, and it is shameful that there is like 150 thread views when probably at least 100 of those people, if not 150, who have eaten some type of animal feed. My probably favourite mod on this site wont admit to at least having eaten bird seeds. Everyone has eaten bird seeds, and it is 100 % guaranteed that anyone with a bird can't help themselves from eating bird seeds all the time. I don't have a bird and I'd eat bird seeds constantly if they weren't so high in calories. Birds are a fantastic excuse to buy bird seeds, basically.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pfft, everybody knows bird people eat their pets' food. It's a given. :rolleyes:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm eagerly awaiting the first person that has sampled BARF
I tried my dog's kibble as a kid, it was awful. Not surprised that hippie dog treats are edible though, some of that stuff looks pretty delicious.

I currently feed my dog a processed meat product that looks like dollar store liver paste and while it doesn't look or smell too bad I still haven't dared to taste it, it has gross bone fragments and stuff in it.

Dog absolutely loves it though!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I sampled some Tiny Friends brand Hamster Fruities. They lack any kind of fruity flavour as promised, the texture is bitty and unpleasant and they went in the bin. 2/10

For my next review Science Supreme Complete hamster food, they smell like gravy. Stay tuned!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
My mom fed my uncle puppy chow as a kid because he asked for cereal and she was annoyed at him. I guess he liked it because he kept asking their mom to buy him the "round cereal" again and swore it wasn't cheerios?

I used to bake our own dog treats back when I had a dog, so I'd nibble on a few while I worked. (it was hot dog pieces baked til they looked like kibble, tbh)

Other than that it's mostly the animals sharing my food, since they always get a share of meat if we haven't seasoned it too heavily.

Edit: The above post reminds me, I tried some dried fruit and other pieces of my hamster's mix before and it wasn't bad but had no added sugar so it was mostly just bland.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Many years ago when I was the right combination of hungry and curious I tried making a chicken salad sandwich out of fancy feast chicken with a bit of mayo and shredded cheese, heated in a toaster oven.

It wasn't bad... but it wasn't good either

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That post made my tongue frown.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah make no mistake I'm never doing it again and I would not advise anyone else try it.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

When we were drunk and younger my husband and I tried out cats Purina One chicken flavor kibble. It tasted like meat cereal. No lie.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I tried tasting some of my bird's pellets. They smell wonderful, but the taste was like cardboard.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have eaten the 100% organic vension wet food my mom buys for the cats (she is a health food nut.)... it actually tasted of vension

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

For my next review Science Supreme Complete hamster food, they smell like gravy. Stay tuned!

Did not taste like gravy but had a nice crispy texture. I've baked worse biscuits in my time 7/10

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Out of pure curiosity (and I shouldn't feed my pets stuff I'm not willing to eat myself) I tried some of my cats' wet food. Just a tiny nibble.

It wasn't very good, but it at least tasted like meat.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I got curious about timothy hay and tried some, and I'm rating it 2 STARS because it was bland. It seems like everyone is smart (cowardly) enough to only have eaten feed that gets a 2 or 3 STAR rating. How do you get the PI tag, by the way? and is there one for if the only pets you've had was a dog, and a turtle, a long time ago, and you like horseriding? Anyway, hoping to see more people admitting to eating feed.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I remember my grandfather staying with us for a bit when I was little, and having him eat his way through the dog jerky and biscuits we had for our Sheltie. He wasn't too phased by the fact that he ate dog treats...he was more put off that they were geared towards the dogs rather than people. Apparently he loved them....I remember seeing him dip a milkbone in his coffee like it was a biscotti more than once.

Then again he was always a bit off....

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Oo Oh! I remember trying my Gerbil's treats once. Well, try isn't the right word..ate the box would be more correct. This was the mid 80's and Hartz (I think) made a puffed cheese treat for Hamsters/gerbils that looked just like puffed cheetos. Well much to my surprise they tasted like a no salt version of said famous treat. My mom didn't ever let us have junk food in the house...sooooooo. I think the gerbil might have had one or two before I ate it all.

Remember parents if you are gonna be a no fun clean eater...your kids will turn to other more dubious sources!

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Disco Salmon posted:

I remember my grandfather staying with us for a bit when I was little, and having him eat his way through the dog jerky and biscuits we had for our Sheltie. He wasn't too phased by the fact that he ate dog treats...he was more put off that they were geared towards the dogs rather than people. Apparently he loved them....I remember seeing him dip a milkbone in his coffee like it was a biscotti more than once.

Then again he was always a bit off....

i think a lot of pet snacks are basically like human snacks but with different salt and fat levels. like, salt and fat is cheap, and not that healthy, so it is considered sort of bad, or low class, I think, like ketchup on steak, but the fact is that salt and fat is really tasty, and when you're a grandfather you're probably at apoint in your life where you know exactly what kind of salt+fat combo makes you happy, and you don't care about whether it looks uncool, bad or gross or whatever. That's something a lot of lurkers who have definitely eaten pet feed, could stand to learn a little something from.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
My husband tried out some Oxbow Regal Rat food. He says it tastes like exceptionally bland bran cereal. It doesn't really look appetizing enough to make me curious, but I am kind of wondering about the 'veggie puffs' treats I have that the rats hate.

Edit: I told husband about this post, this was his reply:

"Veggie puffs: They taste like the stalest cornpop you'll ever eat, without the sugar"

He's such a trooper.

RainbowCake fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 5, 2015

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I tried canned Alpo at a friend's house when I was younger and Beggin' Strips once when I was pet-sitting.

Not good.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I've sampled various dog kibbles over the years. The cheaper ones generally taste better. Milkbones are pretty good.

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

(and I shouldn't feed my pets stuff I'm not willing to eat myself)

Why not? My dogs eat freeze dried beef lung and love it, and no loving way will I be willing to eat that. poo poo, there're foods I willingly feed my children that I won't eat. So, I disagree with that viewpoint.

To contribute, when I was a kid at a family gathering, my brothers dared me to eat a Milkbone, so I did. It wasn't half bad. I said, "Hey not bad" and kept eating it, so all the other kids were like, "Gimme one," and my mom walked downstairs into the room to see 7 kids munching away on dog biscuits.

I also used to steal all the sunflower seeds out of my sister's bird's bowl. Did taste the other seeds as well, they were meh.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hahaha so did I and I was all ready to come in here armed with my recipe for conure soup (it would work if he stopped flying out of the pot)

That's what the lid is for :chef:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Disco Salmon posted:

I remember my grandfather staying with us for a bit when I was little, and having him eat his way through the dog jerky and biscuits we had for our Sheltie.

When Ole first came to Minnesota, he stayed with his cousin Torvald who had already been here for a few years. Torvald was a good guy, tried to look out for Ole. One day Torvald was sick though, so he sent Ole down to the store to get some groceries. Ole didn't know much English yet so Torvald explained what he should look for. For example, the best brand of tuna was the one that came in a can with a picture of a cat on the label.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I would never eat my cats feed as that means he would have less, and I love him far too much to steal from my lovely beast.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also i tried a a dogfood once. it tasted the way it smelled, i.e. DELICIOUS haha jk it was gross

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

RainbowCake posted:

My husband tried out some Oxbow Regal Rat food. He says it tastes like exceptionally bland bran cereal. It doesn't really look appetizing enough to make me curious, but I am kind of wondering about the 'veggie puffs' treats I have that the rats hate.

Edit: I told husband about this post, this was his reply:

"Veggie puffs: They taste like the stalest cornpop you'll ever eat, without the sugar"

He's such a trooper.

Your husband seems cool, and you're lucky to have someone like that in your life. Please tell him this, especially if you think there is any chance it will make him eat more pet feed and rate the taste on a scale of 1-3.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dust Radio posted:

Why not? My dogs eat freeze dried beef lung and love it, and no loving way will I be willing to eat that. poo poo, there're foods I willingly feed my children that I won't eat. So, I disagree with that viewpoint.

Well, that's a little different. I mostly meant that you shouldn't feed your pets things that you aren't confident you wouldn't get sick and die eating yourself, I guess.

I wouldn't want freeze dried beef lung either. I do give my cats freeze dried salmon treats, and in the name of science I just tried one.

not bad. Underseasoned. 8/10.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 12, 2015

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

There was this one peanut butter sandwich cookie that I was sent a box of for Koji once. I would eat the hell out of those, because they tasted just like Nutter Butters with like, half the poo poo in it. Koji looked miffed every time I would go in the treat jar and get me one.

Also tried some of the treats made at Three Dog Bakery. HUGE lack of sugar and very dense, do not recommend.

Actual pet food like our Acana not tried.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Grandmother of Five posted:

How do you get the PI tag, by the way?

you just have to believe in yourself.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

paisleyfox posted:

There was this one peanut butter sandwich cookie that I was sent a box of for Koji once. I would eat the hell out of those, because they tasted just like Nutter Butters with like, half the poo poo in it. Koji looked miffed every time I would go in the treat jar and get me one.

drat that is some cold poo poo to do to your dog lol

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Well, that's a little different. I mostly meant that you shouldn't feed your pets things that you aren't confident you wouldn't get sick and die eating yourself, I guess.

I wouldn't want freeze dried beef lung either. I do give my cats freeze dried salmon treats, and in the name of science I just tried one.

not bad. Underseasoned. 8/10.

I don't really feel that eating salmon qualifies as eating pet feed, but that's one lucky and spoiled cat you got yourself, and happy too, i bet, eating salmon instead of that gross mushy goop or dry pellets that most cat feed seems to be. I'm assuming that the 8/10 would translate into a 3/3 btw.

i'd like to re-state my wish that people also use the official 3-scale when rating, because it is inherently better for comparison when multiple people of different personalities are rating, i feel, because a lot of people will practically never use 1-2 and 9-10 on a 10 scale, because of conservative personalities, whereas others will use 1-2 and 9-10 much more liberally. like 2 people who enjoy ice cream an equal amount might describe it like "loving" and "liking" ice cream, respectively, which makes it sounds like there is a big difference, when there isn't, they'd rate it the same number of a 1-3 scale. That said, people are free to rate or review however they want.

anyway. been posting a lot without eating any pet feed. going to try and eat something for next time.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

you just have to believe in yourself.

tease

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
One of my cats has allergies and can't eat chicken or beef, so he gets fish. The other cat does not seem to mind.

Trader Joe's Ocean Fish cat food (what I used to feed them): bleugh. 1/3

Authority Ocean Fish Recipe (what I feed now): not as bad, but I'm not sure if it's BETTER enough for a 2/3? 1.5/3?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I found myself eyeing up my hams whimzee crocodile but I did not do the mean thing like paisleyfox and gave it to her instead. I will buy my own.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
When I used to work at a local feed store as a teenager, we carried some special kind of horse feed used specifically to fatten up skinny horses. All I know is that poo poo was basically various kinds of grains held together with molasses and it was DELICIOUS.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

WTF BEES posted:

When I used to work at a local feed store as a teenager, we carried some special kind of horse feed used specifically to fatten up skinny horses. All I know is that poo poo was basically various kinds of grains held together with molasses and it was DELICIOUS.

sweet feed!!! omg that stuff is good....

I had forgotten about that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

drat that is some cold poo poo to do to your dog lol

My dog's an rear end in a top hat, so turnabout is fair play. :colbert:

• Locked thread