Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Down town Chicago. December 31, 2018

The invitation asked you to come to a meeting to discuss an amazing opportunity. An opportunity exceptional people. The invitation didn't specify who or what was behind the invitation. The address on the envelope didn't give any clarification on the matter. The invitation didn't say why you were chosen either. The only reason the invitation didn't end up in the trash was the inclusion of a money order for one thousand dollars and the promise of two thousand more for attending a meeting on December 31st. All one had to do was to arrive with invitation in hand, attend the meeting, and after two hours receive the two thousand dollars in cash. There were no other conditions. It looked too good to be true, but you decided to go.

The location specified happened to be in a building in the central part of Chicago, the South Loop. The area had gone through extensive gentrification in the 21st century and the address on the invite happened to be one of the buildings that went up along with property values. The building looked a lot like the other new structures in this part of town. Lots of dark glass with a sleek modern style. The building's purpose was dual use. Residential and Commercial uses. The first three floors would be commercial and the rest of the fifteen stories would be residential condos. At the current time only a few of the condos were sold or rented and none of the commercial spaces were leased out.

The invitation stated that the meeting would begin at five p.m. and go until seven. Plenty of time afterwards to enjoy the New Year's celebration going on around the city. And after going to the meeting one could celebrate in style. It seemed too good to be true.

Welcome to the GURPS Zombies game. I'm running this game as same as I run my other games. Here's what you need to know before you post.

General rules for this game are as follows:

Post format:

Name
In game text.
actions and rules stuff

Out of character posts can either be regular text without a name tag or in italics. If I need stat blocks, then use either [pre] or [super] tags. As long as things are fairly easy to read, I'm good.

I need people to be fairly consistent posters. I'd rather not have to repeatedly prompt people to post. If something comes up, just let me know and I'll work around it. If the game isn't working out for you or if there's some reason you want to drop, please let me know. If its a non-game related problem, I can work around it or at the very least make sure it doesn't impact the other players too much. If the problem involves the game itself, then I'll do what I can to resolve the problem.

At the beginning of the game, the characters are making their way from the parking garage three blocks down the street or getting off at a nearby bus stop. In your first posts, please give character descriptions somewhere in your posts. Also please post character sheets and what the character is currently carrying on their person. If the character has other equipment not with them, than just note where the other equipment is located.

If there is any need for discussion, post in the recruitment thread. Also if anyone wants to get in on this, go on over to the recruitment thread. Recruitment Thread

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Dr.Michael Riggins

Michael Riggins sits in his favorite South Loop bar, whiskey-on-the-rocks in hand. He checks his blazer's inside pocket, verifying once again that the invitation is tucked inside, and he sighs. It's a weird turn of events, this invitation, but it was right in his back yard, and a few grand is far from nothing. Still, he's distracted. After the meeting, he's got another invitation, one that he's dreading.

"loving Gary," he mutters under his breath as he takes a sip of his drink. Once this meeting is done, he's got plans to go to his ex-wife's house with her new husband, Gary, to spend New Years with the kids. Awkward as hell, awkward enough he almost volunteered to work the ER tonight so that he'd have an excuse to not go. But that was before the invitation. The opportunity. it was too intriguing, and once he was willing to take a night off work for that, well....he couldn't avoid Angela's second husband all of the time. Hell, he had to appreciate that Gary was so good about letting him spend time with the kids, to be a part of the family. Michael knew that Angela and he should have gotten divorced years before she met Gary, and would have if it weren't for the kids. Even though he was the definition of an absentee father.

$3000. And he didn't even have to travel. From a mysterious sender. For exceptional people. If this was a timeshare pitch, it was one that had a lot of gumption.

It didn't make a drat bit of sense, but Michael was too intrigued not to follow up on it. Glancing down at the Victorinox Chronograph on his wrist, Doctor Riggins finishes the last of his whiskey before pulling on his woolen overcoat and heading for the door, waving amiably to the bartender. He walks the blocks between the bar and the condo building, kept warm by the mix of wool and whiskey. Loitering for a few minutes, he steps in behind another person entering the building, presuming them to be another guest, and pulls his invitation out of his pocket.

Michael Riggins is in his mid-thirties, slightly shorter than average at 5' 7", with a solid build. His dark brown hair is cut high and tight, and is starting to show tinges of grey. His brown eyes are attentive, and he carries himself calmly.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Captain Jonas Webb

Military people are fairly easy to recognise, if you know what you're looking for. They have a certain posture, which comes from pride in serving their country and a quiet confidence that if someone starts trouble, they can end it. They are usually clean shaven, their clothing tends to be perfectly ironed and their shoes will be polished to a mirror sheen. Take the young man getting off of the bus in central Chicago, for example. He is a little under six feet tall, and stands with that recognisable posture. His skin is heavily tanned, he has green eyes and brown hair cut very short. He's wearing a pretty nice suit; not tailored or anything, but he wouldn't be ashamed to go to a formal occasion in it. The more perceptive of viewers might notice a slight bulge under the left of his jacket.

He walks towards the building he was told to go to, making sure to stick to well lit areas where possible.

So yeah; Jonas is carrying a concealed Sig Sauer. The magazine is fully loaded, but the chamber is empty, so he has 15 rounds of ammo. He's not particularly expecting trouble, so he hasn't brought any extra magazines or ammunition.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

Parking out front of the building, Dave made sure to rev the motorcycles engine one more time in celebration before he turned the engine off. Three loving thousand dollars, and all he had to do was show up for a couple hours? It was enough to pay for his next trip out to Switzerland, even after he paid for Lisa to enjoy herself at the party tonight. Hell, maybe Lisa would enjoy herself enough to let them pick up some cute little chick and bring her back to the apartment with them...

So lost in his thoughts, the bleached-blond adrenaline junky didn't even pay attention to the odd looks he got from an older woman at the entrance as he walked in with his helmet and motorcycle gear on. At least not until the lady, a grin on her face, put a hand on his arm and gestured at his head. He managed to avoid looking too embarrassed as he pulled his helmet off and ran back out to his motorcycle, so he could stuff the racing suit back into one of the lockable bags attached to the side of his bike. Underneath the racing suit, he was wearing a slightly sweaty metallica t-shirt and jeans. Both of which were rather wrinkled, but he didn't care too much, he would have time to get home and change before Lisa expected him to pick her up.

Outside the building and about to enter. Equipment added to my sheet, since I had also forgotten it. Dave is just your standard "works an office job in order to get money for feeding his adrenaline addiction" dude.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael nods to the serviceman as he walks toward the building, knowing recognition in his eyes, however it's the man on the motorcycle who keeps drawing his attention, particularly as he rushes back to his bike to get out of his riding gear. At least he's not stupid enough to ride unprotected, he thinks wryly to himself as he approaches the door and holds it open for Dave before following him inside. "Evening," he says politely to Dave, once they're inside, as he pulls out his invitation and prepares to present it. "Not too many people still riding this time of year."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

Jonas returns the nod respectfully and heads inside. He also pulls out an invitation from his inside jacket pocket.

"I don't suppose either of you have any more idea what this is about than I do?" he asks, just to break the silence.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott "Tens" Benson

For Scott, it had been a weird loving week. First, his little sister OD's on loving roofies at a goddamned party because someone slipped her something. Then his set let's him go off chasing revenge, and even has some of the locals point him towards some Tommy Nolan fuckhead, who was seen hitting on her. Get to the city, searching brings up nothing but a need for some cash to run a few bribes by the local pigs in uniform. Then, a loving phonecall to his burner cellphone telling him to pick an invitation from a drop box, and then show up to a meeting in exchange for three grand. A weird loving week.

Now, Scott was sitting in his beater loving car, staring at some rich-boy highrise thing, wondering if this was all an elaborate setup of some sort.

"gently caress it. Only one way to find out." And with that, he gets out of his shitbox Dodge, and heads in. Only to see an obvious, some rich fuckboy, and what was possibly the most bland looking person on the planet(probably a fuckin' lawyer).

"Take it ya'll are here for the same reason I am. Envelope with an invite. Any of you know what kinda bullshit this is?"

Scott is 6'1", lean, and wearing a baggy hoodie, t-shirt, and jeans. He's keeping a close eye on everything around him, almost as if he expects something to go down. Packing his Glock(loaded, with the chamber empty) in his waistband, concealed under his hoodie and t-shirt.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Well, a grand in advance and an additional two just for showing up - how could I say no?" Jonas asks rhetorically. "But no, I've no idea why we're here."

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 12, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Outside the building

It was an extraordinarily warm day and the night seemed to be just as warm. The lack of snow and high temperatures brought the crowds out in Chicago. They flooded the down town area of Chicago. Mostly they flocked to the lake shore, but plenty of them found entertainments else where in the city. Due to all the people, parking along the streets became scarce. Only Dave managed to find a spot to park and this was only due to the fact that he rode a motorcycle (and he parked between cars).

As they gathered in front of the building, they saw that the front half of the building had glass windows from ground to ceiling. The other half of the building (the part most people wouldn't think about), had been built out of concrete. Looking up at the building, it appeared the builders had fixated on the look of glass. Most of the the exterior appeared to be made out of glass.

Inside the ground floor of the building, the area with the glass appeared to be a lobby. It was a large open space with some furniture and potted plants. The design of the large room evokes the feeling of opulence. Directly in front of the doors to the building is a large desk. Stepping out from behind the desk is a man in a non-descript looking uniform. He has black hair turning grey and as he makes his way to the doors, he moves slowly. He waves at the group and ambles up to the door. Opening up the door, he greets everyone.

"Evening. Everyone have their invitations? Mr. Jones is waiting for you up stairs."

The man, a tag on his uniform says his name is Fred, points back into the building. Behind his desk is a large stone wall. The wall looks like it had been built out of some kind of carved rock. To either side of the desk are silver metal elevator doors.

"Come on in gentlemen." He lets everyone in as long as they show him their invites.

Some people missed the mention of having to park several blocks down the street. Everyone, but Dave parked there now.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Good evening, Fred," Jonas says as he steps into the building, showing his invitation as he does so. He takes a discrete look around to see where any other exits might be - any stairways and emergency exits, for instance. He's fairly sure he won't need the information, but it's a useful habit to maintain.

Perception is 12, if that makes a difference

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"No idea," Michael says to Scott before Fred opens the door. Showing him the invitation, he steps inside, and begins walking toward the elevator, but not hitting a call button. He catches Jonas looking for egress, and smiles with a sad sign, having seen far too many people with that sort of instinct over the years. Still, the situation is weird enough that he's glad to see the alertness, particularly since his own senses have been tuned to other things.

Michael catches Jonas' eye, and nods in recognition, extending a hand. "Always nice to see someone else who's served," he says by way of introduction. "Michael Riggins, formerly of the Army Medical Corps, though I've been out for a few years now."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Jonas Webb," Jonas replies, giving Michael a firm handshake. "Army Special Forces."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

"Pleasure, Mr. Webb," Michael responds before releasing the handshake. "Always makes me more comfortable moving into the unknown with someone who knows their poo poo. Not that I expect anything too weird, this is Chicago after all, not Kandahar."

Michael looks around, watching the others filtering into the room. The group doesn't have any common thread that he can recognize, making him increasingly uncomfortable with the nature of the invitation. He's never considered himself that 'exceptional', but he's even less sure about the 'banger and the guy off the motorcycle. Of course, the lack of clarity just makes the mystery that much sweeter.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

Lost in his vivid imagination of his plans for later this evening, Dave hands over his invitation without saying anything as he follows the others into the elevator. The sudden acceleration of the elevators movement does manage to shock him out of his thoughts long enough to notice the two army dudes introducing themselves to eachother. "Dude, special forces? Awesome, I bet that got you into some awesome poo poo. Name's Dave. No military background."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Scott hands over his invite without comment. A doctor and some kinda spec-ops dude. Well that was fuckin' interesting. What the hell had he done to rate an invitation? Nodding to Dave and the others, he introduces himself.

"Name's Scott. Got no military background either."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

Michael half smiles at the other two men. "It's been a busy time over seas, but I see plenty of the same kinds of injuries here are home," he says conversationally, unconsciously glancing over at Tens.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"If you consider watching friends die horribly to be awesome..." Jonas points out bluntly.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lobby

Jonas spots several doors along the back wall. Above one of the doors is a sign saying emergency stairs. Another door has a sign that says its the way to the Service area.

As the group steps up to the elevator, they hear a radio in the background.

"Navy Pier is packed today in anticipation of the New Year's fire works show. Seems like everyone in Chicago is here today..."

"Nice to meet you gentleman. I was worried no one was going to show up here today. At least I'm getting extra pay for working today."

Fred pushes a button on the elevator and the door opens up.

"You want the twentieth floor guys. Mr. Jones is in suite number one. Only four suites up there, so it shouldn't be hard for you guys to find it."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Thanks," Jonas says. Before he gets into the elevator, he pulls a leather wallet from his inside jacket pocket and pulls out a fifty dollar bill. He hands it over to Fred. "Happy New Year."

He then enters the elevator.

Well, that's his alcohol for the evening paid for ;).

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

"Thank you, Fred," Michael says as he watches the doorman be smoothly tipped, smoothly moving his own hand from his pocket.

As the elevator begins to rise, he idly jokes. "So, Mr. Jones. At least we aren't going into this completely blind."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

"Still feels pretty loving blind to me. All we got is a name. No fuckin' clue what this is about, no clue why we're meeting here, no clue why we're the ones attending, and no clue who the gently caress Jones is."

Scott lapses into silence while the elevator continues rising.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Mr. Jones? We don't even have a name," Jonas points out drily. "Might as well have used John Doe..."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael

Michael sighs, his sarcasm clearly going unnoticed. "Well, if nothing else, Jones is someone who was willing to put up twelve grand to get the four of us together. So that gives us a bit more information. He, or someone he works for, has a lot of money to throw around."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Top Floor

Fred takes the money and nods. He begins walking back to his desk as the elevator door closes.

After a couple minutes the elevator door opens to a windowless hallway. The walls are an ivory color with dark wood accents. Across the door from the elevator is a sign pointing to all the suites. The first suite is to the left. Following the hall down, there is a door with a sign that says, "Please come in."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Well, that's not at all suspicious," Jonas says quietly as they reach the door. He opens up the door, reckoning that if whoever is in here wanted them dead, a $1,000 money order was a strange way to do it.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Honestly, that's probably the least suspicious thing we've seen so far. Well, Gentlemen, let's see what's waiting behind door number one," Michael says, noting the location of the stairwell as the walk toward the door, and unconsciously positioning himself just off to the side of the entrance as Jonas opens the door.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Scott doesn't engage in the idle chit-chat, but instead just waits for the door to be opened. A meeting with a 'Mr. Jones' on the 20th floor of a swanky building. Totally not sketchy at all right? Maybe this was some sorta recruitment thing. Four different dealers with four different kinds of clients. A 'banger, for all the poor folks, a doctor selling special 'scipts on the side, a soldier selling poo poo to his comrades, and some office-jockey supplying to the fuckers in cubicles. It'd make sense at least.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

Stepping inside the suite, the size of the place is immediately seen. The living room or living area appeared to be be the size of a large apartment. The far wall was occupied by large sheets of glass. Towards the left of the room were several couches and a white board. To the right stood a table with food and drinks. Standing behind the table was a tall dark haired man in a fashionable grey suit. When he sees the group enter, he waves.

"Hi everyone, glad to see you could make it." He makes his way over to shake hands.

I included a map of the penthouse suite. Also things are about to heat up in the game.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"gently caress, it is a timeshare presentation," Michael mutters as he takes in the room, before the man in the suit gets within earshot. Extending his hand as the man approaches, Michael smiles, "Of course. It was an...intriguing offer. More interesting than a night pumping stomachs and dealing with firework burns at least."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"It's not as though we're obliged to say yes," Jonas mutters back.

"Well, you did include a very nice gift with your invitation," Jonas says to the man he can only assume is Mr. Jones, giving him a firm handshake. He looks around, looking suitably impressed but making note of potential exits and entrances to the main penthouse area.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

"Swanky.Now, not meanin' to be rude, but what the gently caress are we doin' here? I mean, it ain't exactly like you got a normal group of people here. You the dude that sent the invitations?"

Fancy suit, high rise, glass walls, and some sorta presentation like it was highschool bullshit. But with food and booze. Totally a drug deal. Hot drat. Now just to hope that cops weren't involved. Or Crips. Unlike the others, Scott does not go for a handshake.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

"I can assure you all that this is not a time share and I was not the one who sent out the invitations. My company sent out the invitations and they are the ones paying you to be here." The steps up and shakes hands with those inclined. He turns and walks away to the tables.

"I'm sorry about all the mystery surrounding this meeting. This is how my company handles its affairs. Quietly with a bare minimum of people knowing what is happening. You gentlemen get to learn what the company is all about. And what it is all about, is survival." He stops and waves at the buffet table. "First please have yourself something to eat and drink. I'm expecting a few more people here tonight and when they get here, we can get started."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael's face reddens slightly as he realizes his comment was overheard, but his eyebrow quirks at the survival comment. That could be a common theme among this group, but it's a stretch. But what wouldn't be?

"Of course, I think we can all appreciate discretion, though this mystery seems to step a bit further than just being discrete," Michael says as he shakes Mr. Jones' hand.

As he walks toward the buffet to grab a few vegetables and crackers to snack on, and a light pour of bourbon, he calls over to their host. "And what should we call you, sir? Mr. Jones, or do you have a first name you'd prefer?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

The gears grind for a moment in Dave's head momentarily, before he speaks. "So, you invite a couple military dudes, and a extreme sports hobbyist and... dunno what these other people are... Sounds like you made some kind of new protection gear that you want tested out, so you can have useage testimonials, right?" Even as he waits for a reply, Dave heads over to the buffet to grab a snack and a drink.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

Jonas nods, then also heads over to the table. He pours himself a small glass of cognac and picks up a sandwich. He eats the sandwich fairly quickly, but the cognac is sipped slowly.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Scott pours a drink, rum and coke. Just taking the bottle would have been better, but if this was a good deal he had to represent, and look like a pro. The survival comment catches him off guard however.The gently caress did drugs have to do with survival and protection? Unless this was about something else?

"You say your company is about surviving. Surviving what?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

"Post tenebras spero lucem, gentlemen. Do you know what that means? After darkness, I hope for light. You were asked to come here, so that you would have an opportunity to survive what is coming. An even is going to occur within the next year that will cause unprecedented destruction. Maybe you've heard of other predictions of our civilization coming to an end? They've turned out to be false, but the one my company, the Advivo group, has predicted will become reality. They didn't use the Bible or some supernatural method of determining the disaster, instead they had super computers working on the possibility. Those computers determined that a massive world wide disaster would occur. Ever since then, the Advivo group works to prepare for what is to come. One part of the preparations happens to be the recruitment of individuals the group believes would be beneficial to have when the event takes place. I don't know why you all were picked, but ..."

A muffled boom rocks the suite. It seems to have come from the sky. It could be some fireworks or even gunfire (yes, some people in Chicago fire guns up in the air to celebrate New Years). Mr. Jones loses a shade of color from his face and looks a little paler. He looks up for moment and then lets out a deep breath.

"The group had their reasons for picking you all, but it wanted you to voluntarily agree to be a part of the plans." He looks at his watch. "I'll go into more details assuming the others get here in a few minutes. I've been instructed to wait for all ten of the attendees to show up, but I can't wait forever."

"And by the way, my name is Chad."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"I guess that's why the other two grand is for actually sticking around and listening to what you have to say," Jonas says drily, sipping a little more of his cognac. After the boom, he then heads closer to the window to see where it came from. Sure, probably just fireworks; but nobody ever died from taking a second to make sure.

The last bit is largely because it seems odd to me personally that fireworks would actually make a building shake - but then I've never lived in a city the size of Chicago or in a high-rise, so I wouldn't know. If that kind of volume is normal for fireworks in the US, then please ignore it.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael steps toward the window at the sounds of the explosions. Some people just like to get an early start of it, he supposes. And he's again glad that he's not in trauma tonight, though he checks his phone is still charged and has a signal, just in case he's called in. He cocks an eyebrow at looks back at Charlie as his explanation continues, but decides not to push the issue. The man is promising answers soon enough. "I'll be interested in seeing your evidence, like you said, people have a pretty bad track record predicting the end of the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott "Tens" Benson

Scott takes a sip as 'Chad' goes though his spiel. Okay, not drugs, not some sort of protection thing, nothing sensible like that. Nope, just a doomsday predicting whackjob company with some serious money to throw around. But hey, the money was going in the right direction at least.

"So basically, ya'll are forecasting the apocalypse, and are recruitin' people. The gently caress you recruitin' for, exactly? Join up, live in doomsaday bunkers like this is loving Fallout or something? And you gonna be payin' to keep us on retainer, or this the kind of thing where we pay for a spot in a bunker for something that never happens?"

• Locked thread