Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
I mean, if not - totally gas.

But like - smoked cheddar is really great, and I don't like the fact that the mid-Atlantic area doesn't really sell any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles

monkey cheese :D

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I like cheddar-ish hard cheeses with cool flavors. Beehive makes a great Seahive flavor that's very light honey and sea salt and I want it present at my last meal. I just got the Cinnamon Toscano from Trader Joe's last month too, but I haven't opened it up and tried it yet, I think I want to make mulled cider or wine to go with it.

invent diary

Drunken goat; served at almost room temperature

Maoist Pussy

by Lowtax
I like Humboldt Fog, Stilton and Manchego.

----------------

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i like cave aged gruyere best as hard cheeses go

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
assorted brie I'm a simple person

precision

by VideoGames
S-tier cheeses:

Asiago (best on pizza, sandwiches, basically goes well with bread)
Feta
BAby Swiss
Monterey Jack

----------------

fuck. marry. t-rex

I mostly eat cheddar, feta, and gorgonzola

bacalou

thats a really big question i mean dang

extra sharp cheddar...?

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
nO!!!!

fuck. marry. t-rex

If I have a fresh warm baguette... all bets are off buddy. That's time to go cheese crazy.

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
can we all take a moment to talk about our favorite cheese foods :D??? kill mei?

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

precision posted:

S-tier cheeses:

Asiago (best on pizza, sandwiches, basically goes well with bread)
Feta
BAby Swiss
Monterey Jack

those are all white cheeses.......hmmm..............

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
Joke about an adjective for gouda

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*watches nervously as forum begins to crumble*

Scaly Haylie

what are some low-cost recipes that i can use cheese ends for?

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

There's a pretty nice specialty cheese place in my city that you can get all sorts of imported cheeses from, but the ones I like most are authentic Saint Paulin, Feta (any, really) or Sirene, Smoked Gouda (authentic, or the processed supermarket stuff, doesn't matter), and swiss. I'm not a big fan of blue cheese on it's own, but I really like it with hot wings. :)

Edit: I found some pictures of the place.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 12, 2015

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
  • American

----------------

alnilam

stilton
edam
camembert

big black turnout

i don't think ive ever met a cheese i dislike

brie is good and the dubliner cheese is pretty awesome imo

bog pixie

Ralp posted:

• American

Robot Made of Meat

I'm not a fan of sharp cheeses (except in cooking, where they cease to be sharp), so I like colby, baby swiss, brie, gouda, hvarti, and others.

As to what to do with cheese ends (why not just eat them, possibly with crackers?), cheese soup is pretty easy, or cheese sauce to go on something.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
sharp cheddar and a slice of Macintosh apple on a salty cracker

dogdisaster

by Lowtax
some beer cheese with crackers and summer sausage, i just made myself hungry :(

----------------

alnilam

*in over the top spanish accent* mancheeeego

platonicbackrub

smoobles posted:

monkey cheese :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I like aged, funky cheeses. Mostly I've enjoyed manchego since I can find that around here but I've had some weird poo poo when I lived in spain that I don't even remember the name of or even where in particular it was from.

poverty goat

The proest burg cheese

railroad terror

choo choo
XXX Sharp Cheddar Cheese Vin Diesel Style

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
i think i would like blue cheese way more if it didnt keep trying to overpower everything. blue cheese we all think youre cool man you dont need to freak out on us like that

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cheddar is not cheese, except maybe really aged cheddar, but even that has less taste than normal proper cheese which costs a fraction of the cost. Im unironically sad that the cheddar lobby is so strong (especially in the uk) that people pay lots of money for cheddar which is really not good. it reminds me a lot of the milk situation, since people still think milk is a healthy drink.

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
Is vegan cheese made from fermenting soy milk? Is it possible to make cheese out of almond milk?

alnilam

umm
ive heard people say "drinking another animal's milk in adulthood just isn't natural or healthy" but you can't ignore the fact that the lactase persistence gene became a dominant trait in places where cows are domesticated, within the past 10,000 years tops. that's fast. that means there was a pretty strong selection pressure, i.e. people who couldn't drink milk were pretty significantly less likely to survive/mate than people who could.

granted this doesn't necessarily mean it's a super healthy drink, i mean this evolution happened in a different context - like maybe drinking milk was a good way for people to survive the winter, which is less of an issue now - but still, such rapid evolution tells me that it is a pretty drat good thing for an adult human to drink

joke_explainer

heres some cheeses I like:

rogue creamery's smokey bleu

beeches's flagship cheddar, my overall favorite cheddar

ewephoria sheep milk's cheese, one of the first non-'american' cheeses I had, still have a soft spot for it

cougar gold by WSU creamery. despite coming in a can it's really good. the crimson fire version of it with peppers in it is great.

cana de oveja, another sheep milk's cheese

also i love goat cheese but they're all pretty similar

alnilam

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is vegan cheese made from fermenting soy milk? Is it possible to make cheese out of almond milk?

Vegan cheese is usually made from congealing some kind of nut milk, you could probably make cheese from almond milk but it's not the same as cheesemaking it's more like making a very thick version of the milk adding spices and congealing agents and then pressing/straining it and maybe even baking it

Tofu is actually made in a very similar way to un-aged cheese but from soy milk

big black turnout

Spanish Manlove posted:

it looks like it's made the same way as farmer cheese. boil with acid like lemon then strain and press

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

oliwan posted:

Cheddar is not cheese, except maybe really aged cheddar, but even that has less taste than normal proper cheese which costs a fraction of the cost. Im unironically sad that the cheddar lobby is so strong (especially in the uk) that people pay lots of money for cheddar which is really not good. it reminds me a lot of the milk situation, since people still think milk is a healthy drink.

:stare:

I...I disagree...?

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

alnilam posted:

Vegan cheese is usually made from congealing some kind of nut milk, you could probably make cheese from almond milk but it's not the same as cheesemaking it's more like making a very thick version of the milk adding spices and congealing agents and then pressing/straining it and maybe even baking it

Tofu is actually made in a very similar way to un-aged cheese but from soy milk

Weird, that's how I thought it was made. Industrial food processes are weird and I don't really like them when I learn nitty gritty stuff but I really just want to know everything about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I'm sure oilwan has had some unpasteurized cheeses that would blow our minds and stuff, but I would still disagree with his statement that cheddar is not cheese. It definitely seems to be a milk product that is formed by the coagulation of casein proteins, and meets most possible definitions of cheese.

• Locked thread