Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

FrankZP posted:

Oh dang that is good to hear, thank ye. This endeavor could easily have devolved into a third-rate fanfic haphazardly tacked on to an amazing game, but my priority was really to show off this beautiful, compelling work of art that Atlus made, which includes pointing out all the space it allows a player to involve themselves and build their own personal story in. And if I succeeded in any way, then hot drat, I couldn't ask for more.

Yeah, there are many people who frawn upon roleplaying your characters in LPs around here (probably due to the Pokemon LP craze from long ago) but my favorites LPs are usually those that can pull that off well, and yours certainly did.

FredMSloniker posted:

I dunno if I'm the only one, but Luisfe's LPs rub me the wrong way. I'm not sure why exactly, just... well, I've read more than one of their LPs and come away feeling like I understood neither the game mechanics nor the plot. Like the game had been LPed by an alien, and despite the alien speaking excellent English, their thought processes were just different enough to make communication difficult. That's why I'm glad people like FrankZP are willing to tackle games they've done, and I look forward to Frank's further writing.

Precisely, Luisfe's threads were probably very entertaining but I also feel his LPs lose a lot on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shitenshi posted:

Nobody's done Innocent Sin yet, surprisingly enough.

No, Aprepresident just wrapped up a video LP of Innocent Sin not too long ago on this forum.

The world was a world of freedom, before Kagutsuchi was summoned.

So... what gives it the power to remake the world? What gives it the right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Being an avatar of the absolute ruler of the universe is a pretty ironclad argument (do recall that logically, that world had to have been formed by a Reason too).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anyone remember My Life Is A Goddamn Mess? That was pretty good. I hope Schlidkrote can get well/ get a break so he can finish up his Persona 4 LP.
In the meanwhile, only Feinne (who is pretty good in terms of narrative LP's, but has zero humor) and Really Pants (who was funny, but no narrative) have done Persona 4 LP's.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Watching Futomimi tell Baal Avatar to TALK TO THE HAND was quite worth it.
I appreciate the personality you gave our AFGNCAAP, though I wonder whether in a decade, when poor Francois has joined the workforce, he won't accidentally Freikugel an annoying coworker to death. Kids! Don't let strange magic bugs live in you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He (thankfully) lost his powers and demifiendhood, I think.

If poo poo goes down again, he'll have to rely on the tried and true katana, MP5, and ridiculous arm-mounted computer like other SMT protags.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Aight, so! While I'm pretty sure I got another LP in me for somewhere down the road, and I'm aware I've kind of established a trend for myself, it may or may not be for another SMT game! Of course I'm taking note of your suggestions, at any rate.

Regarding PMs, I'm kind of in a place in my life right now where I have to think of ten bucks as four meals, but in any case I can be easily messaged through my youtube account, or through the Brontoforums.

Night10194 posted:

He (thankfully) lost his powers and demifiendhood, I think.

If poo poo goes down again, he'll have to rely on the tried and true katana, MP5, and ridiculous arm-mounted computer like other SMT protags.

I'm inclined to believe he kept at least some of the Magatama's power, on account of the "until then, stay strong" line. Of course it could very well just refer to mental fortitude!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Demifiend reappears in an SMT4F DLC, apparently!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

FrankZP posted:

Regarding PMs, I'm kind of in a place in my life right now where I have to think of ten bucks as four meals, but in any case I can be easily messaged through my youtube account, or through the Brontoforums.

Either I'm a massive moron who doesn't know how to Youtube correctly or messaging is not so easily done. Regardless, e-mail me at black_dragon_neurion, domain yahoo, and we'll get you set up with Platinum. You deserve it, buddy.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Oh dang, youtube must have changed some setting someplace...

Ah! There should be a "Send message" button on my channel's About page. I know it was there at some point but I've had to dig through the options and enable it again for whatever reason. It's a good thing I'm not youtube-dumping to pump my channel because I'd be right terrible at taking care of it in the first place. :D

And, uh, well, in any case, much obliged!

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Aight, this took a lot longer than I planned, but the gameplay's all in the can and I'll be putting it together in the next few days. I won't abuse your patience much longer, and before you know it we'll get right back to our regularly scheduled process of multiversal annihilation.

Not that... not that you'll know it after we're done either. Because, well.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

FrankZP posted:

Aight, this took a lot longer than I planned, but the gameplay's all in the can and I'll be putting it together in the next few days. I won't abuse your patience much longer, and before you know it we'll get right back to our regularly scheduled process of multiversal annihilation.

Not that... not that you'll know it after we're done either. Because, well.

I'm pretty sure its not multiversal, just, uh, singleversal. The cycle is ended forever, but since there's no longer a Kagutsuchi to remake your destroyed universe...

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Aw yeah son, time to gently caress this poo poo up! :banjo:

I'm curious to see how different your party will be to meet the unique challenges of this path.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Hell yeah, looking forward to it! :bubblewoop:

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

"I'd say I found someone you want to meet, but it's more accurate to say they found me, and that they want to meet you. Funny how these things go, right? It's a little scary to think that I'm easier to find than some high-school student. Anyway, I'm sticking my neck out there for you, kid, so be sure to thank me later!"

The message is signed "H". It's probably not Hikawa, so...

Hmm.

I should have stayed home, but I suppose that's hardly proper for the Guardian of Tokyo.

Why meet in Kichijoji of all places, though? And this address... A fortune-telling shop?

: Um, hi? I'm sorry if this sounds strange, but I got an invi-
: Welcome, Demi-fiend. I have been expecting you.
: Ooookay, what's this about? And how do you-
: Holy crap I can't believe this worked. Man, you have no idea how many favors I had to cash in to pull this stunt off.
: It's actually kind of impressive how far he went to make this happen.
: Who the hell-
: Gentlemen, please! Time is of the essence!
: Sorry ma'am, I'm just super excited is all. Do go on.
: Have a seat, young man, and rest for a moment. I have been hired to-
: We're gonna show you what would have happened if you had taken that elevator at the bottom of the Fifth Kalpa!
: ...
: He's like a little puppy, isn't he?
: Sorry, sorry, shutting up now.
: Look, I get that you went through a lot of trouble to set this up, even if I don't really understand what's going on, but I'm honestly not sure I want to know what would have happened.
: Hmm. Can't blame you.
: Really now? Not even a little bit?
: Well, that's alright. I mean, I spent a lot of nights wide awake, wondering what would have happened if I hadn't made the alliances I made, but I guess that's just me. No one bothered to break a bunch of metaphysical rules from multiple universes to put these questions to rest, and I suppose that was for the best.
: ...when you put it that way... I guess maybe I am a little curious.
: Ha! I bet you are.
: Is this even slightly dangerous?
: Don't worry, this isn't quantum physics, we can observe all we want.
: I cannot promise that no one will look back as we gaze into the abyss, but we shall not be harmed by what has not come to pass.
: Alright, that's good enough for me. How does this work?
: Be at peace. Remember your thoughts at that moment, and look into my eyes.
: And you two as well, look into my eyes, and behold the reflection of memories that were never made.
: Her EYES, buddy.
: Uh, right! Of course!

:siren:Cutscene: Baptism:siren:

*: Symbolism much, eh? Though I suppose there's a world of difference between a pool of Magatsuhi at the bottom of Hell, and the waters of the Jordan river.
: Oh, great, he's here too.
*: Anyway, we are reborn in darkness again, so we wake up in the Shinjuku Hospital's morgue. That about settles the question of who put us here the first time around. For all the power we've received, we didn't change much. In fact, there's exactly one thing that changed. Remember when I mentioned Marogareh had an unknown last skill?

Now that we've aligned ourselves with Lucifer, that last skill is unlocked. Pierce is a passive skill that allows physical attacks to ignore resistances, immunities and absorption (but not reflection). Freikugel counts as a physical attack in every way but damage type, so it also bypasses Almighty resistance, though that only matters for Noah and... someone else, as we'll see.

: And now, you have been born a second time...

*: We use the Terminal to warp to the final area, and reach the top of the Obelisk again.

: Show me your heart...
: I have nothing to hide.
: ...All I see is darkness inside you... No light remains in your heart, and your purpose is in defiance of my will... If you dare, then come before me with the three stones of treasure...

*: That's pretty much all that changes for a long time. So at this point, I want to rush up the Tower and defeat Ahriman quickly, then skip Noah so we can get Kailash and start working on our endgame build as soon as possible.

However, I have three additional goals right now that we didn't have the first time through, because I'm not quarter-assing this "bonus content" business. Number one, I want to show off all remaining evolutions. Number two, I want to show off all remaining special conversations. And number three, I want to craft a squad of badass mofos to take on the final challenge. I've mentioned in the thread that I'd make early attempts at relatively low levels, but, given that I decided I'd go for goals one and two and that they'll require some serious leveling up, I might as well go whole hog, bring in the heavy artillery, and demonstrate what it truly means to be Hell's General.

In any case, I need to make some room in our party so we can start working on goal three. We have plenty of allies right now who won't be part of the final battle in any way, and now that Zed's a complete demon and we're going on a parallel story track, I don't feel too bad about making craters in the more sentimental areas of our roster. First off, Futomimi has got to go so we can start training a Throne as soon as possible in his place. I'd get rid of Sakahagi too, but I do want to keep his Dekaja around until I can sacrifice him to pass it down, so he stays a bit longer. I'd also fire Dante if I could because he can't be part of the final battle for mechanical reasons I'll mention in time... but I literally can't.

Welp! Better get to it then. Man I'm glad I got an audiobook backlog.

Alright, Kailash acquired. Now we can get started. First order of business is turning Titania, Albion and Black Rider into Scathach again, then heading for Yoyogi Park.

: It has been awhile, Setanta. Have you kept up your training?
: Of course! I have never skipped a day of training in order to be accepted as a hero!
: You have potential! Keep practicing, and one day you'll make me proud.
: What gracious words! I, Setanta, will train even harder to fulfill your expectations!
: I look forward to that day.
: Master, take this as proof of my promise!
> You obtained Luck Incense x 1. Setanta left.
: Well, that was surprisingly chaste.
*: I'm preeeeeetty sure this is Setanta still as a little boy.
: I know, I know! Just sayin'.

*: Interestingly, Scathach does not naturally learn a conversation skill and can't initiate this special conversation at all if you don't give her one. Fortunately, passing down Titania's Pester did the job.

At any rate, that's all we needed Scathach for, but we do run around some more and recruit Setanta himself, which is painless because Throne's level is far enough above Setanta's that Brainwash works instantly. We then return to the Cathedral, fire Scathach, summon a Valkyrie and a Koppa from the Compendium, then head to the Amala Temple's black pyramid.

: Hey, it's you, Valkyrie. Why're you hanging around here? You've got a weird humanlike demon leading you... This some kinda joke?
: Silence. I am following my duty and I side with the strong. There's no need to accuse or insult me.
: Is that so? Well, good for you. For a minute there, I thought you were in love with that human wannabe.
: ...What!?
: There was one like that a while back... A valkyrie that became too affectionate with a human and caused a great tragedy.
: ............
: The man she loves also had powers that humans shouldn't have. ...Sound familiar?
: I... I will not follow in the same footsteps!
: Interesting. Your voice seems to be faltering.
: Get thee hence, insolent scoundrel!
: Haha! You're just like your father, it's so easy to tease you! Don't be so edgy, now. Take this as an apology.
> You obtained Vitality Incense x 1. Loki left.

*: I suspect Loki's talking about the love between the valkyrie Brünnhilde and the human hero Siegfried in Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungun opera. At any rate, we kick Valkyrie out of the party immediately to make some room. However, we stick around the black pyramid a bit longer.

: Hmmm... This is a coincidence. I never thought I'd see you here.
: Brother... Now is the time of ordeal. Lendeth me thy power.
: ...Brother? Ahh, come to think of it, we did swear an oath to each other. I forgot about that.
: ...Dost thou say our merry trap was but a farce!?
: Man! You're so uptight. You've always been like that. You always lose sight of the big picture, like that time when you sacrificed one of your eyes to gain wisdom.
: You need to kick back and relax. Enjoy being a god! ...Okay?
: Loki. I shall swallow thy sins. Heed my words! O sinful brother, lend my thy power.
: ............ I figured it wouldn't go my way... I just can't beat you! Alright then, I'll give you a parting gift. Make do with that.
> You obtained Great Chakra x 1. Loki left.

*: Next up! In the red pyramid, Throne brainwashes a Dakini. We hit the Cathedral again, and fuse this Dakini with Odin to make Kali, making sure to pass down Wooing, then we fuse a Nigi Mitama to Koppa, making to sure to pass down Persuade, and go right back to the red pyramid. Along the way, Koppa learns its final skill!

*: Karasu will evolve again, so he stays employed for a bit longer.

: I haven't seen any of you around lately. Where've you been?
: (Oh poo poo!!) ...Huh? Oh, uh... Well, you see...
: ...Seeing a man?
: O-Of course not! I would never leave you out, b-boss.
: ...I see. Then show me proof.
: Well, um, er, yikes... I can attend you... like I did before!
: You're not getting out of this one that easily! I know... hand over a jewel. You've gotten plenty offered to you, right?
: Huh!?
: What? You got a problem with me!?
: 'Course not!
: Then hurry it up!
: ...Yes, mistress. (I'll get her...!)
> You obtained Agility Incense x 1. Dakini left.

*: Aight, that's all we needed Kali for, so away she goes. Whew, what's next? We warp to Ikebukuro, summon up an Orthrus at the Cathedral there, then run around until we can hire an Inugami. Once that's done, it takes just a bit of grinding, so we pop back to the Tower of Kagutsuchi, summon an all-star game-winning party of Setanta, Orthrus and Inugami, and punch the likes of Mada, Mot and Aciel for a while. Good thing we got Pixie to take care of the occasional 1-shot casualty!

At last, Orthrus learns Scout.

: GRRRR... I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU, BROTHER.
: ...? ASK ME THEN.
: WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, I HAVE 2 HEADS AND YOU HAVE 1. SHOULDN'T YOU HAVE MORE HEADS THAN ME...?
: SO HOW ABOUT IT, OLDER BROTHER?
: YOUNG BROTHER OF MINE, YOU SEEM TO BE TIRED.
: DO NOT DODGE THE QUESTION, OLDER BROTHER!
: I GIVE THIS TO YOU, MY BROTHER!!
> You obtained Chakra Pot x 1. Cerberus left.

*: At the end of the same battle, Inugami learns its last skill.

quote:

Lv22 Avatar Makami
Makami are wolf spirits from Japanese folklore. Unlike the tormented and murderous Inugami, Makami are proud, benevolent protectors of the areas which they inhabit, warding off evil and rewarding good deeds.

*: Makami is one of the first evolutions you can perform, and it's not a bad one either, since it learns Void Mind, Diarama and Recarm relatively early. At any rate, that's all we needed Orthrus for, but we give Makami Persuade via Mitama and fuse it with Parvati, creating another version of Dionysus that I will not register in the Compendium. Aaaaand it's back to grinding for a bit.

...no, wait, there is something else that we can get to right now. We summon Garuda from the Compendium, then... Oh, hmm, it needs a couple levels to learn Persuade and it doesn't have any free slots to learn it through a Mitama. Welp, back to grinding, then.

At some point it occurs to me that the Rangda around here are a huge pain in the butt to run across (since they reflect physical and therefore are protected even from Pierce until we get Freikugel), and we're gonna want to hire one at some point anyway, so we get one on board and drop Sakahagi to make room for a Cerberus that we'll also employ before long, hopefully.

Whew, alright, Throne Brainwashes a Cerberus. Now, to hire a Rangda after all... or... uh, dang, not yet, there's something I didn't think of. And before we get to that, one more thing needs to happen.

Ooooh, here we go.

...no, wait, what the... Oh crap, I forgot Persuade is a passive conversation skill, it can't be used to start a special conversation. Oh boy! Alright then, I'll have to make this happen some other way. As a consolation though, at the end of that fight, Karasu learns its final skill.

quote:

Lv38 Genma Kurama
The Kurama are the most powerful and most famous of the Tengu subspecies, being especially wise and benevolent dwellers of Mount Kurama, where the king of the Tengu also resides. It is said that during the Heian period, one among them taught tactics, swordsmanship and magic to the (otherwise non-fictional) general Minamoto no Yoshitsune.

*: Aw crap, Kurama also has special conversations and I was passing down Persuade to make them happen. So they won't happen for a while yet. Welp, it's not like Zed can't use the experience, right?

At any rate, Dionysus has a free skill slot and is therefore salvageable, but that version of Kurama doesn't and is useless to us now, so I get rid of it. We'll have to start over from a summoned Koppa, but at least it has Watchful so it's almost painless.

....aw hell, I was counting on Garuda to learn Persuade too, but its slots are full too. I gotta kick it out; man, what an expensive mistake he turned out to be.

: I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say that.
: Wait, what's this bozo doing here? This makes even less sense than usual!
: Well, the lady did mention the abyss looking back.
: I thought she was talking about, like, the devil.
: And that would be better because...?
: Hmm, good point.
*: I'm gonna have to get a Sparna with a conversation skill, then evolve it from scratch. I think I'll save some money and catch one outside the Obelisk.

Okay, so. Keep calm, carry on. Next. I had something else in mind for this Cerberus, but for now I summon Orthrus again and fuse them together into an Aeros with Scout (since they're both Beasts). I then summon an Aquans, and fuse it with the Aeros to make a Kusi Mitama with Scout as well, and register that sucker. Dionysus fuses with that Mitama, learning Scout. I also summon the Koppa, and give it Scout as well. And while we're at it, I leave the Tower, brainwash a Sparna outside, and, you know it, fuse Scout onto it. Whew!

At some point a Hresvelgr joins up, which is notable because it's the strongest Wilder, but I have precious little use for him and he gets the boot right away.

Alright, finally something goes right, lessee...

: My sssh'mell is *hic* the sw-sweet fragrance of wi-wine! 'Reek' is a phrase... that desh'cribes you! *HIC*
: Heheh, don't get all riled up, now! That was supposed to be a compliment.
: Wh-what...? *hic*
: I finally came across someone who knows what alcohol really is! Are you a god of liquor?
: Wh-why?! Are you, too? *hic* ... It's sad knowin' that I'm the *burp* same as a god like you.
: Oh, come on, now. Liquor tests the hearts of the greedy and invites both bliss and misery. Just like the work of a god. There are lots of gods, but being a 'god of liquor' isn't bad at all.
: Desh'pite your looks, you... seem to undersh'tand. ...Is it hot in here???
: Heck yeah. Heheh. I like you. I know... You can have this as a parting gift. Take it.
> You obtained Magic Incense x 1. Mada left.

*: Well hey, witnessing this burgeoning booze bromance makes all the hassle worth it in the end. Anyway, that's pretty much everything we need Dionysus around for, except for one thing. We summon Cerberus again, and fuse him to Dionysus, obtaining Barong (with Scout, of course). And having Barong around...

: As long as you live, I will appear. Over and over, just to defeat you.
: Yes... I know. Likewise, I will rise from the dead as long as you live.
: Rangda, what are we fighting for? Have you ever thought about that?
: Shut your mouth!! Or my claws will slit your throat!! I am the dark, YOU are the light! What else do WE need!?
: I see how it is... You are right. I will no longer hesitate. From now on, my entire body is burning only with the desire to destroy you!
: That's how it should be! *chuckle* Let us continue, then... ...Our 'relationship' that's been going on for thousands of years!

*: Unlike other special conversations, this one doesn't end with a gift, it ends with all your turn icons being taken away!

At the end of the fight, Setanta learns his lask skill and turns into Cu Chulainn, which we had seen briefly in the Labyrinth. Fortunately I don't have any time-consuming plans for him: we go to the Cathedral and fuse him with Lilith to make a Chimera, making sure to pass down Wooing. In terms of combat power that's a colossal loss, since Chimera is a few levels over Cu Chulainn but nearly thirty under Lilith's, but combat power isn't the point here.

At this point we have three free spaces and Throne just turned into Uriel, so we hop to the Amala Temple to get a Dominion, then to the Diet Building to hire up a Purski (for an unrelated reason). While we're in the latter location...

: GRRRR...?
: I'M THE GUARD DOG OF HADES. MY BROTHER, ORTHRUS, IS THE GUARD DOG OF A RANCH. BUT YOU ARE NOT A GUARD DOG OF ANYTHING. ...WHY?
: THAT IS SIMPLE... I AM NOT A DOG.
: AWOOOOOO! I HAVE FINALLY FOUND MY ANSWER!! THANK YOU. TAKE THIS!
: This definitely isn't my world reborn. This must be some other universe entirely.
: How can you tell?
: Pascal's way smarter than that.
> You obtained Soma Droplet x 1. Cerberus left.

*: We get our Purski moments later (it comes with Watchful and we don't need it for anything urgent, so that's nice), then head for Ginza again. First fight is the charm!

: GRRR...
: WE HAVE DIFFERENT PARENTS, BUT YOU CAN SAY WE ARE FROM THE SAME LINEAGE. I WILL WATCH OVER THE PATH YOU TAKE. HERE IS MY PARTING GIFT. TAKE IT...
> You obtained Chakra Pot x 1. Orthrus left.

*: Aaaaand that's all we needed Chimera for. Whew! That's a bit of a relief, but now we got some serious grinding to do until we're ready for the next step. I do fuse up Raphael in Ginza before returning to the Tower, but Zed needs to gain a few more levels before Gabriel is available to us. Welp, time to get to it.

...oh wait, we might as well go shank Thor while we're here.

Yup, still a pushover! We finally hire a Rangda as we go back to heal, but at this point it really is all a question of grinding for a while. I'll get to it!

Alright, we got a Kurama again. They can chat up both of their former evolutions, but it's a little tricky; I'm pretty sure you can only meet Koppa in the back passage of the former Nihilo HQ and Karasu at the bottom of the Obelisk near the Chakra Elixir. Well, you can still meet both in the Labyrinth, but you can't have a conversation with them.

: There's no reason to hate another member of your race that much, is there?
: Shut up! Don't talk like you're some kinda sage. To us low-level Tengu, you're just a nuisance.
: ...Hmm. Then you can defeat me.
: Wh-What's that???
: If you have more strength than I do, you can take my place. I have no regrets if I lose.
: Y-You wanna go for it? If I w-win, I can have your p-position!?
: What's wrong? Your voice is shaky. Are you... 'scared'?
: Sh-Sh-Shut up! I'm not feeling g-good today... I-I'll remember this! D-Dammit!
> Karasu Tengu dropped something while panicking. You obtained Lucky Ticket x 1. Karasu left.

*: Moving on, I can't seem to run into any Koppa at all, which ain't so great. There were butt-tons of them in the Nihilo HQ proper, but that's beyond reach now. Hmm. Oh well, I might look around some more at some point later, it's not like I don't have several more levels to gain. In other news, we have a Garuda with social skills again. First stop: Kabukicho.

: This saves me the trouble of looking for you! Prepare to die!
: Wait, Naga! Do you not think that this battle is pointless? This conflict was started by our parents. It will not end until we overcome it!
: You foot-licking, gutless booze-worm! I will kill you right where you stand just for saying that! This will be easy...
: Silence! I have no interest in such a futile battle.
: I do not give a drat about your interests! I am only interested in bathing in your blood! Come on, coward!

*: Welp, this one ends your turn as well. Can't say I'm surprised. Next, we go to Asakusa Tunnel, betweeen Asakusa and Yoyogi Park.

: Are you going to fight me, Raja Naga?
: Is the king of all Nagas going to prolong the mistakes of our parents?
: I... I myself have no interest in the feuds of our parents. But many Nagas are still cursed with that grudge. And I am the leader of those Nagas...
: But perhaps... it is a king's duty to lead my people towards change. Then, Garuda... Take this. Today, we did not meet. ...Is that okay?
> You obtained Soma x 1. Raja Naga left.

: So much for being mortal enemies.
: This whole thing about demons being unable to change... I wonder if it's true, after all.
: If you ask me, it's a load of crap.
: Hmm.

*: Alright, we're gonna need a bunch more levels until something else interesting can happen, so we warp back to Tower and pick some more fights.

...Whew, Purski learns its final skill.

quote:

Lv58 Wargod Ganesha
Ganesha is the famous elephant-headed Hindu god of arts, sciences and wisdom, among many other things. He's also known as the Lord of Obstacles, who places them before those who deserve them, and removes them from the path of the righteous.

*: So! We've seen almost every evolution in the game. Other than that, Abaddon turns into Aciel, Jinn turns into Efreet (we've seen Aciel and Efreet before so I'll say I won't have to actually evolve them on camera), and... there's a last one, as we'll see later. Much later for me, but pretty soon for you I suppose, heh.

Anyway, I fuse Raphael with a Throne to make Gabriel again, and if we fuse Gabriel with Ganesha...

*: Thor's in our party at last, so it's time for one final trip to the black pyramid of the Amala Temple.

: I finally found you, most foul criminal!
: Why so pissed? Wake up on the wrong side of the cloud this morning?
: A thousand curses upon you! Don't act the fool with me! My wife's hair was praised throughout Asgard... Thou art the one who lopped it off as a prank!!
: For real!? Now... that... you... mention... it, I heard about that! Was that lil' ol' me???
: Arrrrrrgh! You don't even remember thy dark deeds of cuttery!? I'll not forgive it! Die a painful death! The wrath of Mjollnir upon thee!!
: Painful death? Come on, man... You don't know when to CUT it out, do you?
: Enough talk!!
: Whoa there! Let me off the hook in exchange for this...
> You obtained Ruby x 1. Loki left.

*: We get back to the Tower, and since Zed just hit level 90, we can triple fuse the Seraphs again and get Michael back. Aaaaand that's as far as we can go on the to-do list until level 95. Oh boy. At least Michael's a powerhouse, and having him around makes things a lot smoother, especially since we don't have low-level hires to train anymore. In fact, before long we can just use Michael, Dante and Pixie to blow everything away.

Oooh, I didn't notice it exactly as it happened, but apparently we've mastered Magatama differently enough to have reached the tier of Neutral titles equivalent to Lord (which is Dark). With Michael in our party, that makes two John Travolta movie references.

: Dude you've been grinding for too long.
*: Maybe.

Alright, level 95! Hot drat! We hop to the Cathedral, fuse up Loki (from Dionysus and Arahabaki), sacrifice him in a Michael/Dominion fusion (Michael and any Divine or Seraph will do to get Metatron again). He's not going to be in our final party, so the ingredients hardly matter. In fact, he's basically going to be a fancy key that will allow us to get the last piece we needed to put our final party together. And that final piece is in the Labyrinth's Fifth Kalpa.

*: Remember this guy? Metatron is the only one who can open this door.

There's just a big room with a pit on the other side. We gotta go down!

Lots more golden doors here. Stepping into the room...

: We are the law here. We will only permit you to use us three times before you are forced to leave.

*: The south and west doors are accessible from here, though there's one more to the east on the other side of the translucent wall. Let's try west.

: Attention trespassers... You are only permitted to use us two more times!

*: The only other way is south.

: Attention trespassers... You are only permitted to use us one more time!

*: The only way is south again.

: Attention trespassers... You have now passed through us three times. You will not be allowed to advance any further!

*: We find ourselves in a big rectangular room with five golden doors, counting the one we came in from. Two of them are in the south, and we take the western of those two.

: Leave this instant!

*: We can barely catch a glimpse of a Burial Chamber's grey door before we're teleported to a room full of damage floors back on B3.

There's a Chest in the south end of the room with five Smoke Balls inside; other than that there's a one-way door leading to the area of the floor we already explored.

Aaaand the automap for B3 looks like a skull now. Great!

We fight our way back to the three-doors puzzle and try again. Our prize is in there somewhere.

Taking the first south door...

: But, now I'm lost. What to do...?

*: Going east then north take us to a ladder that brings us to a one-way door returning us to the Metatron door room. Another try, lessee... South, south, and south again.

: ...I'll sell you something special. Interested? Here's what I'm selling... the strongest elephant you ever saw, with the power of a demon. In battle, he'll bust out attacks that'll crush any enemy!

: You're drat right I want it.
: Excellent choice!
> You purchased a demon from the Shady Broker.

*: This remarkable Girimehkala comes with skills that normal Girimehkala definitely do not learn naturally, including Attack All, Focus, and all Might skills. On top of that, he is the only demon in the game with Pierce, besides the Demi-fiend of course. We can absolutely register him at the Cathedral and use him for fusion! However, I do want him to gain three levels so it can learn Debilitate; we return to the Tower and fight some more.

...and done.

Now we're in business. We head for the Cathedral and register everyone. First off is a special fusion: putting together a Femme and an Avatar does not usually create a Fury, but Rangda and Barong together...

quote:

Lv95 Fury Shiva
In Hinduism, where Brahma is the Creator and Vishnu is the Preserver, Shiva is the Destroyer. That said, despite his wild temperament, he's regarded as a benevolent force, generally destroying only so further creation can take place, and going to great lengths to ensure that nothing is destroyed before its time has passed. He's Parvati's husband, Ganesha's father, and Hanuman might well be an avatar of his.

*: We've also sacrificed Girimehkala to give him more skills. However, this version of Shiva doesn't remain with us for long. We summon another Girimehkala, and straight up fuse it again with Shiva.

*: This is not a special fusion, but still, the number of demons who will fuse into Beelzebub is vanishingly small. I think you have more options if you are Cursed, since all fusions result in Dark demons then, but I'm not sure. I would have loved to sacrifice something to give Beelzebub a boost, but a fusion that results in a Tyrant that's performed on Full K will always result in Fiend Trumpeter if you have a Deathstone in your inventory, so that's a no-go. That said, I get an Ara Mitama from Rag's, and use it to give him Tarukaja.

Up next! We summon up Scathach, and fuse her with Metatron, sacrificing Girimehkala again.

quote:

Lv92 Deity Vishnu
According to some Hindu traditions, Vishnu is said to be the supreme deity, somewhat their equivalent to YHVH, though he often shares top billing as a trinity with Brahma and Shiva instead, as we've seen. He's married to Lakshmi, the goddess of prosperity, and Garuda is his mount; he has a multitude of avatars, some of the more famous being the hero Rama who traveled with Hanuman, and the lion-man Narasimha who slew the Asura Hiranyakashipu.

*: And we summon up the ingredients for the Shiva fusion again.

So. Shiva, Vishnu, Beelzebub, all of them with Focus and Pierce. We are this close to our final party. All we need now is for Beelzebub to earn a couple levels, and we'll be there. We're not just gonna grind it out, though: this timeline still has a bunch of suckers who earned themselves a punch or two. However, before we resume our righteous crusade, we have a couple last side trips. First off, to Kabukicho again.

: Naga. I have something to ask of thee...
: I am at your bidding, sire.
: Wouldst thou give thy treasure unto me?
: With honor, my lord! Please, take this!
> You obtained Great Chakra x 1. Naga left.

*: Then it's off to Asakusa Tunnel again.

: King of the Nagas... I have something I would ask of thee.
: I am at your service. Order me as you will!
: Wouldst thou give thy treasure unto me?
: As the king of the Nagas it is my greatest honor to be given such an opportunity! Please, take this with you.
> You obtained Diamond x 1. Raja Naga left.

*: Aaaaaand that's all of the special conversations, except the one with Kurama talking to Koppa, because I can't find Koppa after all. Alright then, next stop: Bandou Shrine. It's gonna be like New Londo in there because we got four kings to whup.

I recorded the Bishamonten fight, but honestly, putting it up would be disrespectful of your time. The other Heavenly King battles are equally uneventful, if you count a 7200 damage Freikugel as uneventful. And the encounter with Masakados doesn't go any differently.

: You'd think a true demon following the Path of Destruction and accompanied by the Great Divine Destroyer and the Wicked King of Chaos wouldn't be so easily entrusted with protecting Tokyo.
: What was Masakado supposed to do, though? Say "no" to the Demi-fiend?
: Hey, man.
: Hmm?
: Tell me how handsome I am.
: ...what?
: Come on. Tell me how handsome I am.
: I... uh... I don't... That's not how I...
: Well then, I guess it's not so hard to refuse the Demi-fiend, is it?
: I stand corrected!
: Dude, you're hella handsome. And smart too! And so powerful!
: Okay, what's gotten into you?
: Yeah, I'm getting a little weirded out here.
: When I was done saving the world, I didn't hear one half of one compliment. Nothing. It was all, "Stonka are eating all my cabbages!" this, and "yes you have to pay for that pie" that. And I'm gonna make sure that poo poo doesn't happen to this rad fellow right here. You're amazing, dude. Keep on rocking.
: Uh, alright then. Thanks! I will!

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

*: Back to the Tower, it's time to teach Isamu a lesson.

Boss battle: Taking Noah to school in the car of pain

*: The one thing that usually forces you to play by Noah's gimmick is his huge resistance to Almighty damage. He of course reflects physical damage so Pierce alone doesn't help, but combined with Freikugel, both resistance and reflection are bypassed entirely.

Alright, next up is Chiaki of course. Along the way, Shiva and Vishnu learn their final skills, Phys Drain and Phys Repel respectively. Yup.

Aaaand Chiaki goes down. Nothing unexpected happens here either. We couldn't beat her before she summoned the Hallel, but that's really no great problem. She did attempt to use Bael's Curse a couple times, though it was always on Beelzebub so that was good for a giggle. We have the three treasures at last, but there are still a couple things I want to do before the final battles. We head for a Terminal, and return to the Fifth Kalpa.

On the floor with the lady demons, we take the eastern ladder, and find the golden door that talked about us being a true demon.

Ooooh, these hallways were empty before, but there's a Cube here now.

And chests in the corners too! I don't think we'll need any of the stuff in here but it won't hurt to check it out. Lessee... Four Jades, twenty-five Lucky Tickets (!!!), three Deathstones, 150000 Macca, and three chunks of Magic Incense. Not bad!

As we leave the room, Beelzebub learns its final skill, Elec Boost.

*: To nobody's surprise...

*: Beelzebub leaps from level 86 all the way to level 95, making his true final skills accessible: Death Flies and Victory Cry. I doubt he'll have time to learn either, but we'll still put him to good use. And one such good use is very close by.

*: This is of course the door only Beelzebub can open.

Two Chests, one with 10 Balms of Rising, and one with 10 Soma. This is just a hunch, but I think the game wants us to be prepared for the final battle.

Of course, we really are prepared by now. It's been long enough, in so many ways. Let's head for the fight to end all fights. We have an infinite genocide engine to stop, and no one in heaven or hell can keep us from putting an end to its wretched cycle.

:siren:Cutscenes and boss battles: Light and Darkness:siren:

: Well that was a whole lot of Debilitating Lucifer's crotch.

quote:

Lv99 Devil Lucifer
This would be Lucifer, first of the fallen angels, led a rebellion against God, plots within schemes within plots, etc. etc.

Lucifer is usually counted among the Tyrants (Maou), but his appearance in Nocturne is unusual in that he's in the Devil race (Daimaou) instead, which as far as I know is entirely unique to him, in this one specific instance.

*: A wrinkle that's easy to miss for the final battle is the Kagutsuchi phase: DEAD. This is of course because Kagutsuchi has just been killed. It's mostly for flavor, but it does have the side-effect of ensuring that neither Bright Might nor Dark Might can activate.

Anyway, Devil Lucifer! He's level 99, with 40 in all stats, as well as 65535 HP and 65535 MP. He has boss immunities, on top of a 75% resistance to physical, magic, and Almighty damage. Essentially, anything that's not a Pierce-enabled physical skill will barely scratch him. Deathbound/Vitality builds and Freikugel/Strength builds work fine, but if you've got a Magic build relying on Boosted elemental damage, you pretty much have to let your squad take care of the offense.

Lucifer's resistances are why Dante's not so great for this fight. He's literally the only recruitable demon in the game who can't learn Pierce. Apart from Holy Star and Provoke, he has no support abilities; Lucifer doesn't use -nda effects and you definitely don't want to increase his attack power. The demon hunter can't do anything worth doing.

Lucifer knows Dekaja, Dekunda, Diarama (kind of a joke, really), Prominence, Glacial Blast, Mabufudyne, Megidola, and Megidolaon. Apart from Dekaja and Dekunda, seeing him use any of those skills is something of a relief, because that means he's not using one of this three signature moves. Evil Gleam, the one we haven't seen, is a group-targeting Charm attempt with a base 60% hit rate. High King is a powerful group-targeting Almighty attack with a 100% chance to Bind (though it only worked once because of our allies' ailment resistances). And Root of Evil has a random effect on every party member: it may cut current HP by 50%, 75% or 90%, or more rarely inflict Mute, Poison or Stun instead. I think even High King doesn't quite match Infinite Light in terms of raw face-melting power, but it doesn't take two whole turns to cast, and Lucifer still generally hits hard enough that you want to keep up stacks of Debilitate and Rakukaja to make sure that you can survive him following up on a worst-case-scenario Root of Evil.

Okay. So. What's next?

:siren:Cutscene: The time has come:siren:

: Wait. Wait wait wait. Don't leave us hanging here, lady!
: My apologies. That is as far as I can see.
: What!? Come on! Just a little more! We gotta see who wins!
: Dude, this is fairly non-trivial. You're asking her to look past the death of time.
: That does present something of an unsurmountable difficulty. If it wasn't for the strength of this young man's spirit, we could not have seen even as little as we have.
: Gah. Aw cripes. Sorry man, I guess this was a waste of your time after all.
: It... it really wasn't.
: Eh? I wanted you to see how you would've ended up, and-
: I appreciate the sentiment, but... That wasn't me. I didn't make those decisions. All I saw was... someone who looked like me, and who did things I'm glad I didn't do.
: No regrets, then?
: Ha, are you kidding? Nah, I'm... I'm glad things turned out the way they did.
: I for one am certainly happy to have been brought back!
: The death of a world... Sure would have been a hell of a thing to carry on your shoulders, huh?
: There's still the death of infinite billions of worlds out there, though.
: All of them with their own copy of the Scriptures of Miroku, all of them with a Demi-fiend calling the shots, and all of them with the potential to be reborn like this one was. It's not your responsibility.
: I know. I... I know. And in any case, I'm relieved I didn't turn into... into that creature.
: Creature? Well that's a little rude, isn't it?
: ...what the-
: Wait, what is he doing here?
: This is impossible!
: Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will!
: Huh?
: Just looking for honest opinion from the only person I can trust. I'm whupping a bunch of cannibals and I figure I might try that line on them for effect.
: Cannibals?
: Long story. Anyway, you dig it?
: Ehhh... A little overdramatic.
: Yeah, thought so. Maybe I could write it down somewhere. That kinda stuff always reads better in your head than said out loud, doesn't it?
: Oh yeah, absolutely.
: Hey, uh... How's Pixie doing?
: She's kicking rear end, no worries. I'll tell her you said hi.
: Much obliged.
: Man, you have no idea. Aight then, I'm hopping back out before someone misses me. Smell ya later, chumpos.
: ...how many rules did you break to make this happen, again?
: drat, multiverses are weird.

*: Well hey, speaking of long roads ending, it looks like this sucker's just about wrapped up! Man, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. What a trip. A million thanks to everyone who walked this path with me on the Brontoforums and Something Awful alike, to all who might walk it in the future, to all who've commented and discussed, to all who've read and to all who've allowed me into their minds ever so slightly and gave me the chance to showcase this masterpiece of a game. And of course, much gratitude goes to Atlus, for crafting it in the first place, and for having the brass gonads to release it outside of Japan in such a faithful form!
: And hey, uh, I'm not sure how this works, but, thanks everyone for giving me my world back.
*: Now go out there, keep your eyes wide open, find your own Reasons, and once you got 'em, hold on tight. Don't worry, it's not like the world can get any rounder, right?
: That's it? That's what you're ending on?
*: Yeah, pretty much.
: You gotta kill your darlings, that's basic.
: I guess you're safe, then.
: Man I get no respect.
*: Awwww, come on. Get over here. Group hug!
: Bah, fine.
: Ha, no complaints!
: Hey, this is almost not awkward at all.
: Nice!
: Wait. Which one of you is getting excited?
: I... don't... What... what the-
: Ack!
: I LOVE YOOOOOOOOOU~~~~
*: I guess I was wrong. This is what I'm ending on.
: Oh for the love of-

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Hell of a ride, man. Thanks for showing off the game!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
As badass as Shiva and Vishnu are, even they can be whacked with Lucifer's mind/nerve attacks, and considering how tough he can be on Hard Mode, that is not something you want to happen. That's what makes Beelzebub and Metatron so inherently valuable with their boss resistances. The only problem is finding a third ally to round out the team who is just as good as they are and both completes the thing thematically. The Fiends are an obvious candidate, but as party members, they lack the feeling of relevance that Beelzebub and Metatron have in the stakes of Lucifer's plan, being nothing more than mid-bosses sent to test you. And deciding which Fiend just to feel right with the rest of your team can be a problem too, because they all fit, especially the two highest level ones, and choosing one while shafting the other just feels inappropriate.

Maybe an entire party of Fiends, with Trumpeter and Harlot alongside Pale Rider to fit the whole, "And Hell comes after him," thing, but at the same time, that involves a lot of level grinding for Pale Rider, with the quick solutions of Beelzebub and Metatron being oh so tempting. Human Beelzebub with Fly Beelzebub just feels weird. I usually do Futomimi just to redeem him after everything he went through, or Surt with Ice Drain, because Lucifer never uses Expel, and drat if it isn't awesome after how tough he is against you in the Diet Building. Sure, he's just a mid-boss too, but he's a motherfucking roadblock boss like Matador that doesn't suck when you finally get to use him! Matador 2.0! You can't say no to that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
What. A. loving. Trip. Also good to know that Cannon! Demi-Fiend's ripping the space-time-continuum a new rear end in a top hat to meet with his Non-cannon self and that our Best Friend Pixie's kicking rear end against the legions of heaven and YHVH. We all know that YHWH needs to get a few holes torn into it's rear end in a top hat, don't loving lie, this is probably the Chaos Ending I most agree with, since Demi-Fiend is the most badass motherfucker out there. What's next on your mind FrankZP? After a (long, well earned) break, gonna jump back into SMT with our friend Francois and SMT Protags 1 and 2 for commentating the next one? Or gonna switch things up with a different game-verse?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm sad to see this finish.

Thanks ZP. You done good.

(Now put this sucker in the archive).

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Fantastic LP, FrankZP. Keep making LPs of this quality and you're gonna fit right in here.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I wanna see FrankZP finish the story of SMT2. If the grind's no fun, maybe there's a patch to reduce enemy encounter rates or something?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
And then all three of them got sucked into Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL's storyline due to DLC. THE END...?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Ahhh, like a drink of cool water, or a breath of fresh air.

... Now I have to wait for another one. There WILL be another one, won't there?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This was a hell of an LP, man! Good work.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Glad to see this game get put through its paces, as I did not get to see some fun alternate content like the demon-specific conversations or the recruitable Futomimi and Sakahagi.

The narrative was fun and light without really seeming out of place for the story, so good job on that too.

10/10 would read next LP for sure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that was a worthy shot of bonus content. Good luck in your future projects.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You weren't kidding about not half-assing the What-If eqilogue, good show :golfclap:. Thanks for the great LP and finally getting me to get around to playing this myself (just cleared Yoyogi park and eager to tear apart Mother Harlot and Black Frost), and for making a seriously top-tier LP for a great game. :hfive:

e: also from an amateur game designer perspective, the Dante Tag stuff is goddamn amazing, just throwing that out there.

also \/\/ I hear you, 90% of the time LPers who jump in feet first with a backlog from somewhere else are terrible, I'm glad I stuck with this one.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 28, 2016

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
That was a hell of a thing! (I checked to see if you made that pun too, and I was not disappointed.)

I have never been so happy to be proven wrong about an LPer. Nocturne had long been that SMT game everyone loves, and I can see why now. Thank you for all your hard work, FrankZP. Good luck on your next endeavor!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That was a great ending to a great LP. I hope we see more of you here!

Kemix posted:

What. A. loving. Trip. Also good to know that Cannon! Demi-Fiend's ripping the space-time-continuum a new rear end in a top hat to meet with his Non-cannon self

All Demi-Fiends that know Freikugel are cannon. :black101:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh, and congrats on the well-earned (and seriously badass) avatar. :black101:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

ManlyGrunting posted:

Oh, and congrats on the well-earned (and seriously badass) avatar. :black101:

Oh, wow, somebody got him one.

I was actually gonna make a "this is you/ this is you on drugs"* joke with the 500 damage critpunch gif, but honestly, the oni question one works just as well.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This was a fun lp to read, and it was nice to learn about a game that I was curious of, but never wanted to actually grind through to play. Thank you for doing this!

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
You know, everyone's been singing praises about the cutscene direction for this game. Personally, those last few scenes with Lucifer are the goddamn best. Lighting, shadows, camera work... Mmph, just lovely stuff~

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Man, I'm blown away. I would have been surprised if no one liked it, but this shatters all my expectations. And that avatar, holy crap! That's crazypants in the most glorious, raddest possible way, so thanks a lot on that account too! Man, in a literary sense I feel like I'm using the word "thanks" too much, but in every other sense it's like I can't possibly use it enough. And of course you've been a superlative audience. I didn't know what to expect when I first arrived, really; I've been through more than my share of LPs on lparchive.org in the last several years, but I never checked out any threads. You've been generally amazing!

As far as future plans go, I don't have anything definite lined up yet but I certainly have another LP in me at least and I do have a list of candidates in mind, which includes some SMT but also some non-SMT (though on top of the list is another Atlus-published game featuring a sort of metaphysical post-apocalypse so one might say I'm working within a theme, heh). It's a bit tricky though because I think I need a silent protagonist to work with. I made private test runs of a couple favorite RPGs of mine in between SMT2 and Nocturne, and I kinda got bored of them very quickly; ironically I felt that the characters had so much personality and were so well-defined that it was like I had nothing to contribute, or no room to work with. I know it's not quite the case but I might just be broken that way. It's a bit of a private hurdle I suppose.

Shitenshi posted:

As badass as Shiva and Vishnu are, even they can be whacked with Lucifer's mind/nerve attacks, and considering how tough he can be on Hard Mode, that is not something you want to happen. That's what makes Beelzebub and Metatron so inherently valuable with their boss resistances. The only problem is finding a third ally to round out the team who is just as good as they are and both completes the thing thematically. The Fiends are an obvious candidate, but as party members, they lack the feeling of relevance that Beelzebub and Metatron have in the stakes of Lucifer's plan, being nothing more than mid-bosses sent to test you. And deciding which Fiend just to feel right with the rest of your team can be a problem too, because they all fit, especially the two highest level ones, and choosing one while shafting the other just feels inappropriate.

Maybe an entire party of Fiends, with Trumpeter and Harlot alongside Pale Rider to fit the whole, "And Hell comes after him," thing, but at the same time, that involves a lot of level grinding for Pale Rider, with the quick solutions of Beelzebub and Metatron being oh so tempting. Human Beelzebub with Fly Beelzebub just feels weird. I usually do Futomimi just to redeem him after everything he went through, or Surt with Ice Drain, because Lucifer never uses Expel, and drat if it isn't awesome after how tough he is against you in the Diet Building. Sure, he's just a mid-boss too, but he's a motherfucking roadblock boss like Matador that doesn't suck when you finally get to use him! Matador 2.0! You can't say no to that.

I know I didn't go in with a perfectly suited party for the final fight, but seeing as this is on Normal, I figured I could get away with showing off basically the highest-level demons in the game, especially since they're relatively tricky to fuse and in a purely practical sense the game doesn't ever really justify going with them. I agree that Metatron and Beelzebub are probably the best choices in terms of mechanical optimization, in any case. As for the fourth party member, I think my preference would be looking at a custom Black Frost, of all things. He specifically reflects/absorbs Lucifer's elemental damage, and naturally learns all ailment Void skills, and he's just extraordinarily tanky pretty much anywhere you take him. And of course it puts a delightful cherry on top of the ambitious shopkeep's personal journey!

FredMSloniker posted:

I wanna see FrankZP finish the story of SMT2. If the grind's no fun, maybe there's a patch to reduce enemy encounter rates or something?

Hmm. I'm not gonna say never, I've been genuinely tempted to redeem myself on that for a long time, but... not soon. :3

ModeWondershot posted:

The narrative was fun and light without really seeming out of place for the story, so good job on that too.

There is something particular about SMT's tone, in that yes, it's grim and dark a lot of time, but being based in human folklore, it's not always grim and dark. There are pranksters and tricksters, there's booze and love potions and dancing contests, there are giant dick monsters and tiny dick monsters, fairies and snowmen, gods who enjoy how enthusiastic their wives are about taking off their clothes in public, and multi-headed dogs and not-dogs this close to accidentally performing bad vaudeville routines. Nocturne jumps at practically any excuse to make you listen to Playing the fool every chance it gets. So yeah, you can totally be fun and wacky every once in a while, and the game is fun and wacky right along with you.

Llab posted:

I have never been so happy to be proven wrong about an LPer.

ManlyGrunting posted:

also \/\/ I hear you, 90% of the time LPers who jump in feet first with a backlog from somewhere else are terrible, I'm glad I stuck with this one.

Boy am I glad I proved you wrong then, heh. I know I started from a place of, I'm a completely unknown newcomer and I'm sorta bending the rules at least a little, so I did feel like I might have to dig myself out of a hole to a degree. But in the end it was like, I'm gonna be respectful, I'm gonna be humble, I'm going to keep doing the best work I can, and whatever happens happens.

The Watercrown posted:

You know, everyone's been singing praises about the cutscene direction for this game. Personally, those last few scenes with Lucifer are the goddamn best. Lighting, shadows, camera work... Mmph, just lovely stuff~

Oh dang, I cannot agree more. It's almost mind-boggling to consider the details. It's literally five characters in a near-featureless void, none of them move very much, one of them is in a wheelchair, and he's the only one who says anything. But it doesn't feel sparse! It has a weight, it has a dynamism to it. Just incredible.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

FrankZP posted:

I know I didn't go in with a perfectly suited party for the final fight, but seeing as this is on Normal, I figured I could get away with showing off basically the highest-level demons in the game, especially since they're relatively tricky to fuse and in a purely practical sense the game doesn't ever really justify going with them. I agree that Metatron and Beelzebub are probably the best choices in terms of mechanical optimization, in any case. As for the fourth party member, I think my preference would be looking at a custom Black Frost, of all things. He specifically reflects/absorbs Lucifer's elemental damage, and naturally learns all ailment Void skills, and he's just extraordinarily tanky pretty much anywhere you take him. And of course it puts a delightful cherry on top of the ambitious shopkeep's personal journey!
Yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to give you any grief, I just thought it would make good gameplay related discussion, and got more long winded then I expected to. Then I did a double take an hour later and realized how pompous that came off and hoped that it wouldn't rub you the wrong way, figuring that any edits would either look like an excuse or just confuse the hell out of everybody. Can't believe I didn't say it earlier, but you blew this thing out of the park. Perfect mix of narrative oomph that let you do your own thing without taking away from the main story.

But yeah, Lucifer on normal mode is doable enough with the same amount of preparation as any other boss, minus maybe jacking the Demifiend with Masakados because one mistake is enough to fell him and starting the fight over is enough. If Kagatsuchi had the same Pierce defense, he would probably be considerably tougher by any account if only for him constantly loving with the moon phases.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

Oh dang, don't worry, you didn't rub me the wrong way or come off as pompous or giving me grief at all! In fact now I'm worried I seemed too defensive myself, heheh. I've been bilingual for twenty-five years by now and I'm more than confident in the quality of my written English, but I still misplace a conversational nuance every once in a while. In any case, gameplay discussion is great and it's absolutely fascinating to hear people having various approaches.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 29, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It was an amazing LP.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I should probably point out for those who haven't played that you definitely don't need Pierce on all your demons to beat Lucifer in a timely manner. They simply need to be all support. Three demons can debilitate, buff and heal at ludicrous speed, and then just pass turns so all your MC has to do is Focus-Freikugel combo every turn.
It is, however, slightly less spectacular than having Futomimi punch Lucifer to death.

Anyways, this was a really fun read through and through! It got me back into my SMT groove, made me slightly less depressed about the story direction in Final, and you've set a new standard of written English for me (I'm French too!). And now I have a new Nocturne HD background because this game's graphics... :3:
I'll definitely be following whatever game you tackle next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Really awesome LP you've put together here! Just out of curiosity, is the game over screen different if you've lost to Lucifer, since the Kagutsuchi is dead and thus there shouldn't be any angels lifting you to heaven, or is it always the same?

• Locked thread