Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
roangees
yes
no thank you
i am critically allergic to oranges
View Results

• Locked thread
strong bird
May 12, 2009

Part of the strong bird food forum series of megathreads

Hello this thread is for oranges discussion. Hopefully we can curtail orange chat derailing in other threads by keeping it all here.

Mandarin oranges are fun. The stem piece thing pops off and it's like an orange grenade as it releases the orange oil scents. They're fun to peel and to eat.

strong bird fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Does anyone have a good British style marmalade restipie

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Stick it in a ducks rear end,

BAMMM:

Instant Canard à l'Orange!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Do not troll the orange megathread

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

strong bird posted:

Yes.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

strong bird posted:

Do not troll the orange megathread

Sorry,

have an Orange on me!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do not buy florida oranges until after the first freezes hit north florida. They are at their best after a freeze.

I'll let y'all know.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

strong bird posted:

Yes this one. You've gotta wait until Sevilles are in season first though. Seville oranges are the noblest of the citrus.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kenning posted:

Yes this one. You've gotta wait until Sevilles are in season first though. Seville oranges are the noblest of the citrus.

Thank you

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Kenning posted:

Not a bad recipe. This is a little more British though.

I'd not use white sugar for Marmalade. The darker sugars lend a deeper flavour, something more warm. And yes to whiskey in it. Why wouldn't you? How you cut the peel is to your own taste. I like thickish strips, and not so many that your toast is covered. They should be little pops here and there rather than a raft.

Just to re-emphasise. Good marmalade comes from good oranges. Though Seville are fantastic for it, don't turn down others. They could be ideal for what you want. And now I want some marmalade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ggod luck strong bird!!!!!!!!!!!

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
https://youtu.be/HXRiZQaoQGU?t=1m32s ??

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I am allergic to LPs released on vinyl in 1998

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Had a pretty decent tangerine earlier. The peel was very aromatic

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I have a dwarf orange tree. Fruit should happen next year. Pretty exciting poo poo.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Woke up hungover and went to grab a few cuties and managed to get the only loving cutie orange on the planet that's impossible to peel. Still delicious.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Eating a Cutie Clementine right now. An orange tour de force. 4.5/5 orange stars.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This is my favorite marmalade

strong bird
May 12, 2009

That's a good marmalade

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Make limoncello but with oranges instead.

Pretty crazy, I know, but trust me, it's good.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

arancello?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Yes. It is good and cool to drink.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I made cranberry orange cookies tonight using this recipe. I'm eating them right now, 5/5 would recommend

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Well done

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
strong bird what is the latest on 'organges'?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Still no freezes, citrus still not great. That and excessive rain give me low hopes for florida Honeybell season.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just checked for Sevilles, and signs are poor. Girlfriend reports that Minneola tangelos are still very sour. Etrog and Buddha's Hand in abundance – moro blood oranges have good-looking rind at least. Profusion of cuties.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

currently going through a big box of satsumas, winter is legit my favorite season almost entirely because it's citrus season

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

Just checked for Sevilles, and signs are poor. Girlfriend reports that Minneola tangelos are still very sour. Etrog and Buddha's Hand in abundance – moro blood oranges have good-looking rind at least. Profusion of cuties.

What do you do with an Etrog? My fancypants supermarket has them and they're the best smelling things ever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Most commonly it's part of the Jewish Sukkot celebration, but even if you're not a Jew it's lovely when candied. I've used it in punch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We had satsuma trees in my yard in southern Louisiana. They were wonderful but it's ruined me on oranges from any store now. While quite good just never really the same as right off of the tree.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
These California tangelos are super disappointing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone sent me a big box of Florida citrus. Not great. I mean, not bad, but it could be a whole lot better.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Future oranges

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
strong bird what is the latest on 'oranges'?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

There are some oranges in development, as revealed previously.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Half oranges > whole oranges, Meyer lemon supremacy

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Have the Seville Oranges arrived yet? Kenning?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bought some cara cara oranges the other day, they're almost pink inside. A+ would cara again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I was in Arizona in Dec and there was an orange tree in the backyard where I was at. It is my goal to have an orange tree for fresh fruit every morning, man that is great

• Locked thread