Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

-Rogers Hornsby

I'm already missing baseball. Football is nice, but it doesn't sustain me. I sat out of fantasy football this season, fantasy basketball is garbage, and why is ATOI a stat in fantasy hockey?

So poo poo, let's do a way too early mock draft and with the time it takes to get one of these done, maybe we'll have ten rounds done by the all star game. I realize none of the FA have signed yet, but it's not like Jason Heyward or Zack Greinke are going to the Rockies, so their values aren't going to change that much.

Instead of waiting for 10 people to fill it, I'll just start and first ten people who feel like playing can pick from there. Consider this just a normal 5x5 league. No preference to roto or head to head.

I'll kick it off with 1.1: Bryce Harper. Goldy are Trout are options, but after a monster season, I want to see if Harper has an even higher ceiling. I expect more RBI, a lower AVG, with more steals, but should be able to deliver first overall production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

1.2 Mike Trout. The first three picks are interchangeable imo. I would not be disappointed with Trout, Harper, or Goldy here.

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 16, 2015

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm still finalizing my in credibly complex and detailed spreadsheets OP but I might get in on this in a little bit

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I was tempted to overthink this and take a 3B or even a SS. But I'll make the safe, boring pick:

1.3 Paul Goldschmidt

Goldy seems safer than other guys who might go early/mid first round. He's been a great hitter more or less since he came up; he's not a late bloomer like Donaldson, or coming off injuries like Giancarlo. Also, strange as it sounds, first base is one of the shallowest positions these days. I mean there's plenty of Belts and Hosmers and Freemans, but only a few elite guys. Throw in 15 bags a year (21 in 2015) and an improved lineup around him (Pollock, Peralta, Tomas, etc) and I can't pass up Goldy here.

Just for funsies, here's last year's first rounders. Gonna be a ton of new names in the first few rounds. Can't wait to see how high Seager, Correa, Bryant, Schwarber, etc, etc, go.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Stanton is the clear #4 to me. The injuries are obviously an enormous concern, but he's only 26 and one of these years he's going to hit 50+ homers. Steamer has him at 98 R 44 HR 110 RBI .277 AVG. :getin:

McCutchen's durability is tempting (6 straight years of 146+ games played), but his steals are trending down badly so 27 HR/15 SB/.310 AVG seems like his absolute ceiling. Steamer has him down for 23/12/.295 which sounds about right.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

This might not finish until after these guys retire. We're drafting for the All-Star weekend Oldtimer's Game.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Look at the sea of fantasy football threads.

Fantasy football is cool and good, but I sat out this year and don't miss it at all.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
In the past I didn't pay attention to fantasy baseball until after football was over but since I started playing Ottoneu I pay attention 12 months a year. I would love to get the 2016 discussion thread going but I think most people are still pretty focused on football.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Please do. Oh god I need help picking a SS this year. Pay top dollar for Correa or try to get Seager at an alright price?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Moneyball posted:

Please do. Oh god I need help picking a SS this year. Pay top dollar for Correa or try to get Seager at an alright price?

Dynasty you sell your kid to get Correa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

• Locked thread