Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Like someone else said above just start a new 'calendar' with the birthdays in it so you can turn that on and off like a layer imo.
Cool, I figured it out! Google calendar is just so confusing to use. Everything is so hidden and vague to me and I'm someone who can use programs like Blender and 3DS Max that have million options and layers in their interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone else been having this new issue with SwiftKey where sometimes the emoji button just disappears from the keyboard and them the button to open the number/symbol keyboard just expands to be twice as big?

It's only happened to me twice in recent memory (<= 1 month) but it's bigly annoying. Rebooting fixes the issue, but next time it happens hopefully I'll remember to try changing my keyboard to Gboard and back :thunk:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone else been having this new issue with SwiftKey where sometimes the emoji button just disappears from the keyboard and them the button to open the number/symbol keyboard just expands to be twice as big?

It's only happened to me twice in recent memory (<= 1 month) but it's bigly annoying. Rebooting fixes the issue, but next time it happens hopefully I'll remember to try changing my keyboard to Gboard and back :thunk:

I have issues like that when I adjust screen resolution by turning on battery saver. Maybe something similar for you?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have the emoji key turned off, so, no. :cheeky:

(have it set to show the emojis when I long press the enter button)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If I have been using the outlook app with a free hotmail account for nearly five years without ever seeing an ad, would that be a consequence of using the adguard dns servers, or is that something they flipped a switch on recently?

Anyway, I saw an ad and was shook to my core obviously. Uninstalled the app and then found out the only way to really integrate the hotmail calendars into the Google one is to have the outlook app installed. Apparently? Pffrrt.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Anyone know a decent alternative to the Do It (Tomorrow) app?

It was perfect in its simplicity. You had a list of items you could either cross off move to tomorrow. The widget would show you today's list.

Full app looked like this:

Widget looked like this:

I don't mind paying for unused features as long as I can get the app to do roughly the same thing (+ widget)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Anyone know a decent alternative to the Do It (Tomorrow) app?

It was perfect in its simplicity. You had a list of items you could either cross off move to tomorrow. The widget would show you today's list.

Full app looked like this:

Widget looked like this:

I don't mind paying for unused features as long as I can get the app to do roughly the same thing (+ widget)

I don't use it quite for that, but I think Todoist can do what you're asking about. I just use it for a widget of daily repeated tasks (eg daily stretching), but I think it works fine with one off tasks, and I believe they can be moved to other days.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

looking for app alternatives for PairVPN-

I'm on a plan that limits data tethering to 40GB/mo, which was fine for a long time, but I'm off-the-street homeless now and don't have a land connection. My regular tethered speed is about 20mbps, but when I go over it's 30-50kbps- obviously untenable!

There are many, many methods to get around this- most of them with pitfalls, caveats, and downsides:
-most apps (easytether, PDANet+, koush's simple usb tether, list goes on) utilize a proxy server, which works alright, but only for certain kinds of traffic (http) and also requires configuring/deconfiguring my laptop to use a proxy or stop using a proxy every time I switch between my tether and someone else's wifi- I use several tools that have their own internal package updaters, and almost none of them work (the ones that do, like homebrew, require the same configure/deconfigure)
-a couple of apps use packet shaping to attempt to anonymize traffic, but this is a trick that ISPs got wise to pretty quickly, and only gets my speeds up to ~80kbps
-another method involves setting up an ssh network tunnel thru sshd on the phone (via Termux), and that works to hide tethering traffic, but requires hefty phone CPU use- my phone's pretty old, so I end up with ~120kbps
-yet another hacky method looks clean and crisp, but requires a rooted device, which I don't want to do because I don't want to worry about security- want to be able to have whatever personal data on my phone without thinking of vulnerabilities that are my responsibility

I'm currently using a very old app (aforementioned koush's usb tether) that gives me 15mbps, but it doesn't pass things like ping/ssh/etc and requires a USB tether, which isn't always viable.

So, PairVPN exists, and it solves the proxy problem by setting up a VPN server on the phone that's paired with a client on the computer. It uses an apk on the phone, and an executable on the computer. Works mostly flawlessly in Windows 10, sometimes requiring a reconnect every day or two. Problem: my Windows PC has broken down, my main computer now is a 2011 MacBook Pro running 10.13 High Sierra, and PairVPN's Mac app requires 10.15 Catalina. This machine will not run 10.15 (there are ways to make it do that but since I don't have a backup computer, I don't want to even temporarily brick this thing), and I cannot for the life of me find another tether app that works through this VPN method- it doesn't help that there are scads of apps for connecting to a remote VPN, and also apps that share remote VPN over tether. Very difficult to search for!

I've combed github for solutions and have yet to find something that does what PairVPN does, or even a technical explanation of exactly what PairVPN is doing so I could try to write my own client script for 10.13- but I'm coming up empty-handed. Wondering what other people are using for tether solutions

e: I found something that works pretty well, Tetrd (google play link)- slightly hampered by being usb-only, but it does what PairVPN does, and has a minimum MacOS requirement of 10.12 Sierra; still has downsides: it wants a login, and is usb-only, so if anyone still has other knowledge to contribute, I'd love to hear it!

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 16, 2022

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Anyone have recs for apps that support dual/folding screen? Just got a surface duo (this thing is awesome after its latest updates btw) and so far I've been using Sync for reddit (seems to support but could use some UI polish), Outlook, and Kindle.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
OneNote technically does, but it's not the most useful layout on earth.

My favorite Surface Duo trick is the app pairs. I had Brave Exvius and a browser for the character loadout side opening side by side.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is nine still the best app for use with 365?

My work switched over recently to using two factor authentication and ever since it's been flaky. I won't get an error about having to re authenticate, my mail or calendar won't update. Unless I happen to be at my desktop, I won't notice that its not working.

I'd switch over to outlook, but I like the sandbox aspect of nine versus maybe giving my job complete control over my personal device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

diremonk posted:

Is nine still the best app for use with 365?

My work switched over recently to using two factor authentication and ever since it's been flaky. I won't get an error about having to re authenticate, my mail or calendar won't update. Unless I happen to be at my desktop, I won't notice that its not working.

I'd switch over to outlook, but I like the sandbox aspect of nine versus maybe giving my job complete control over my personal device.

Can't you set up a work profile for yout phone? That's what I've been using since I gave up carrying around a second phone.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

That's a good idea, but if I understand it correctly I'd have to be on my work profile in order to get email or calendar notifications. Might give it a shot though.

Thanks for the info

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Does anyone know if there is a way to like letterbox or change the aspect ratio for a specific app? Preferably without root

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

diremonk posted:

That's a good idea, but if I understand it correctly I'd have to be on my work profile in order to get email or calendar notifications. Might give it a shot though.

Thanks for the info

Nah, there's no actual switching. It's just a separate container for all your work apps. It makes a second app drawer appear to the right of your regular one (using the default launcher).

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

hooah posted:

Nah, there's no actual switching. It's just a separate container for all your work apps. It makes a second app drawer appear to the right of your regular one (using the default launcher).

That sounds a lot more manageable, now I just have to figure out how to create a new profile on my phone. Every page says go to settings, system, multiple users but I don't have that on my phone. Its a Note 20 with the Android 12. Nothing shows up in the help or when I search the settings. Must just be blind.

Edit: Never mind, Samsung has their own version called secure folder.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 18, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

endocriminologist posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to like letterbox or change the aspect ratio for a specific app? Preferably without root

You could stick black tape over the top and bottom of the screen

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I used to use an app to run other apps at a lower resolution because my Nexus 10 was struggling running stuff. I'm pretty sure it required root though.

When I search the app store for "resolution changer" and such queries, I only get the same three apps and none of them are it so I don't know what happened to it.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Skarsnik posted:

You could stick black tape over the top and bottom of the screen

This worked! Thanks

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Looks like Nova got acquired.

Any suggestions on other launchers?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Who is Branch and how concerned should I be?

(never heard of them)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SpiderLink posted:

I just installed beta 8 and its nice.. hell

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Uthor posted:

(never heard of them)

I've never heard of them either but my ad-blocking DNS seems to be blocking their site so I'm going to take that as a bad sign

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Uthor posted:

(never heard of them)

Somewhat concerned.

I personally haven't installed Nova since the whole gesture conflict started, but it does suck that it's apparently gotten to the point that the creator has chosen to cash out.

The news on Reddit has predictably turned into a shitshow.

E: Even Lawnchair's having its own issues.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 19, 2022

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

Lynx launcher is pretty great

E: no idea how it is on privacy, mind.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 19, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

anakha posted:

Somewhat concerned.

I personally haven't installed Nova since the whole gesture conflict started, but it does suck that it's apparently gotten to the point that the creator has chosen to cash out.

Lol, someone was telling me about installing some random fast food place app and all the info they are grabbing from you is why I never do that.

The Nova creator wrote how the app being a one time purchase meant expanding their user base is the only way they'd get paid. I'm sure they were hitting a wall at this point.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

I'm seeing recommendations for Niagara on other networks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I mostly just need Nova for the nicer icon choices, widget resizing and finer grid control-or at least that's what I think I use it for. I guess I'll find out what I actually want as I try out more launchers like it's 2013!

:negative:

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thank you, tight aspirations and anakha.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

effika posted:

I mostly just need Nova for the nicer icon choices, widget resizing and finer grid control-or at least that's what I think I use it for. I guess I'll find out what I actually want as I try out more launchers like it's 2013!

:negative:

Yeah, I am able to squeeze in more icons on the home screen, hide the app names, and hide a bunch of apps from the app drawer. I don't do anything nuts.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh good they bought Sesame Shortcuts too.

Eh, we'll see how horrible it ends up being. It's not like eleven trillion companies don't already have their hooks in everything I do on my pocket computer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If an outside company is buying a launcher they intend to either

1) Turn it into a subscription app
2) Mine the everloving gently caress out of what applications you have on your home screen and interact with
3) Most likely 1 and 2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drat... I've been using Nova since... early 2011 or something like that? I guess if they turn it into a shitshow I use something else :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I used to use Nova a lot and that sucks. But I got tired of all the issues/bugs on Pixels and just use the default google launcher these days. Just can't be bothered to janitor my phone anymore.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm having an intermittent issue using Android Auto with my Pixel 5, in a 2021 Tacoma. Occasionally, when I try to start navigation somewhere via voice (whether I've held the button on the steering wheel or pressed the mic icon on the screen), it listens and responds but doesn't start navigating. Like, "Navigate to xyz" *doink* OK, navigating to xyz. Let's go. And Maps remains at the starting view.

Music commands seem to work when this happens. To get it to navigate I have to unplug the phone, start navigation in Maps on the phone, and plug it back in.

I've tried clearing cache in Maps and Android Auto, anything else I can try?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I used to use Nova a lot and that sucks. But I got tired of all the issues/bugs on Pixels and just use the default google launcher these days. Just can't be bothered to janitor my phone anymore.

I saved a layout of icons that I port to every new device I install Nova in. And since I never used a Pixel (and only a Nexus 4 ages ago) it was better than the launcher of the phones I've been using (current ones are Oppo Find X2 Neo and TCL 20 5G as backup/workphone).

I've tried other launchers and always ended going back to Nova but I can just rely on google launcher and call it a day tbh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I saved a layout of icons that I port to every new device I install Nova in. And since I never used a Pixel (and only a Nexus 4 ages ago) it was better than the launcher of the phones I've been using (current ones are Oppo Find X2 Neo and TCL 20 5G as backup/workphone).

I've tried other launchers and always ended going back to Nova but I can just rely on google launcher and call it a day tbh.

Pixel launcher saves/transfers icons and layout now too!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel launcher saves/transfers icons and layout now too!

Nice! Looks like I'll be transfering to Pixel launcher :toot:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah this. Stock launchers have come a long way and it was really freeing to just have something work "well enough" out of the box tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah I'm trying the Pixel launcher again and I'll adapt. I hate the scrunched up left-hand non-removable Google Now widget (the old 5x2 widget looks so much better), but until I settle on something else this one will Work. Good to know it'll transfer over if I get another Pixel too.