Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

School of How posted:

Does anyone know of an app I can use to navigate off road? Where I live there are tons of dirt roads that go off into the wilderness that are not mapped in the google maps system so I can't use google maps for navigation. I can see the roads clearly in google earth, but they are just not in the system. These roads go all over the place and make a ton of intersections with other roads and of course there are no road signs anywhere.

What I want to be able to do is just make a line in google earth where I want to go, and then export that line from google earth in KML format, and then import that KML file into some navigation app on my phone. When I want to make my trip, I open the app, and it just simply tells me when my GPS location diverges from that line. This isn't something that should be so obscure, yet I can't find a single app that does this.

Have you checked if OpenStreetMap has them? If so, I forgot what the best available app for using those maps is called but it should be pretty easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What mode of transportation?
Gaia and Trailforks come with an outside+ subscription. Trailiis prob best for bike (gravel|MTB) and Gaia is supposed to be good for 4x4 off road driving.
It's like $3/mo right now.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I use OsmAnd for motorcycle/dirt bike routes. Even if the road/path isn't on OpenStreetMaps, you can set points in the app or load a GPX file. My main negative is that it's not always user friendly.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I use TOTP Authenticator, apparently. I haven't seen the name as more than "Authentica..." or thought about it in as long as I can remember because it pretty much just works. I know I've gotten a new phone since I started using it so apparently it can export and import; if it couldn't, there'd be no point using it over the google app.

Edit: I figure an auth app is the most boring thing in existence so the most ringing endorsement is basically "it doesn't annoy me enough to remember anything about it."

And that's how it should be, right? More applications should be "I don't have to think about it"

On that note, isn't there a Google authenticator? I use Authy at the moment but I'm considering moving (the next time I change phones) just to have something that's supported by the big companies and isn't going to go away

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nonathlon posted:

And that's how it should be, right? More applications should be "I don't have to think about it"

On that note, isn't there a Google authenticator? I use Authy at the moment but I'm considering moving (the next time I change phones) just to have something that's supported by the big companies and isn't going to go away

There is a google branded one yes. The advantage of Authy and others is that you can backup the token. I don't believe the google one will let you do that.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Authenticator can transfer from one phone to another with a generated QR code, but that's it as far as "backing up" goes. Also lol at Google and any software/service sticking around.

I use Google Authenticator, but I keep a printout of each of my original QR codes as my backup.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sirbeefalot posted:

I use Google Authenticator, but I keep a printout of each of my original QR codes as my backup.

I really need to go through my emergency passwords and such. Haven't done that in a while, need to double check I have everything I need. This QR code printout idea is neat, too.

I've also been considering getting a safety deposit box at the bank as a way to keep this stuff out of the house in case of fire or theft, too...

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

School of How posted:

Does anyone know of an app I can use to navigate off road? Where I live there are tons of dirt roads that go off into the wilderness that are not mapped in the google maps system so I can't use google maps for navigation. I can see the roads clearly in google earth, but they are just not in the system. These roads go all over the place and make a ton of intersections with other roads and of course there are no road signs anywhere.

What I want to be able to do is just make a line in google earth where I want to go, and then export that line from google earth in KML format, and then import that KML file into some navigation app on my phone. When I want to make my trip, I open the app, and it just simply tells me when my GPS location diverges from that line. This isn't something that should be so obscure, yet I can't find a single app that does this.

deong posted:

What mode of transportation?
Gaia and Trailforks come with an outside+ subscription. Trailiis prob best for bike (gravel|MTB) and Gaia is supposed to be good for 4x4 off road driving.
It's like $3/mo right now.

Yes, I use Gaia for this. I primarily use it for hiking, though.

I've also heard good things about OnX Offroad. I've never tried it myself. It also requires a subscription like Gaia.

You can usually find free trials for either if you search around online.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are Fleksy/Swype/Swiftkey/Minuum still the major choices for keyboards? Swiftkey has been Bad lately so I'm shopping around

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Are Fleksy/Swype/Swiftkey/Minuum still the major choices for keyboards? Swiftkey has been Bad lately so I'm shopping around

Also curious if there any new players on the keyboard scene. I'm starting to lose patience with SwiftKey and I don't really like Gboard (though that might just be not being used to it).

Unrelated, is Unified Remote still the best for controlling a PC through my phone? (I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to launch and control a streaming video web page or something)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

docbeard posted:

Also curious if there any new players on the keyboard scene. I'm starting to lose patience with SwiftKey and I don't really like Gboard (though that might just be not being used to it).

Unrelated, is Unified Remote still the best for controlling a PC through my phone? (I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to launch and control a streaming video web page or something)

Didn't you recently upgrade to a newer Pixel? I'd suggest giving Gboard another try - I had been using SwiftKey on my Motorola as my swiping keyboard of choice, but the tighter integration of the Pixel AI and Gboard has made it the better experience for me on my Pixel 6. The predictive typing is way better, and it screws up way less often for me.

About remote controls, I'm not familiar with Unified Remote, but KDE Connect serves that purpose for me. It's cross-platform, and on Windows is available in the Windows Store.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Didn't you recently upgrade to a newer Pixel? I'd suggest giving Gboard another try - I had been using SwiftKey on my Motorola as my swiping keyboard of choice, but the tighter integration of the Pixel AI and Gboard has made it the better experience for me on my Pixel 6. The predictive typing is way better, and it screws up way less often for me.

About remote controls, I'm not familiar with Unified Remote, but KDE Connect serves that purpose for me. It's cross-platform, and on Windows is available in the Windows Store.

I tried it the other day and it bugged me but it's probably just down to little differences I can get used to, so I will probably give it another chance.

I'll look into KDE Connect, thank you. I used Unified Remote years ago and it worked reasonably well but that was a couple of phones and computers ago and I have no idea of the state of it today.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My Gboard misses a lot of things. Literally EVERY time I'm trying to type character it thinks I'm putting in charcuterie. Come on Google, you harvest all my data, you know I'm never using that word.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Medullah posted:

My Gboard misses a lot of things. Literally EVERY time I'm trying to type character it thinks I'm putting in charcuterie. Come on Google, you harvest all my data, you know I'm never using that word.

On the contrary, you use that word all the time! Before you type character! AI is the future!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 28, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Medullah posted:

You're on an older Pixel, aren't you? I'm not sure if the improvements to how Gboard works translate back farther than the 6 generation. I don't know, but I had the impression it was a benefit from Tensor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You're on an older Pixel, aren't you? I'm not sure if the improvements to how Gboard works translate back farther than the 6 generation. I don't know, but I had the impression it was a benefit from Tensor.

Nah I'm on a 6 Pro

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Medullah posted:

Nah I'm on a 6 Pro

Nevermind, then. Apparently Google just thinks you should up your appetizer game.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just want a keyboard that doesn't autocorrect "in" to "on" and vice-versa while autocorrecting all the other words.

I am giving Gboard another shot right now, as Swiftkey is really aggressive lately. I miss the punctuation shortcut and the long-press spacebar to move the cursor ability, but so far it's a lot better than I remember. Back in 2020 when I got my Pixel 5 it was unusable but now it's fine. We'll see if I stick with it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Gboard has long press space to scroll cursor, and I don't know exactly what punctuation shortcut you want but long press . and see if that does what you want.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

sourdough posted:

Gboard has long press space to scroll cursor, and I don't know exactly what punctuation shortcut you want but long press . and see if that does what you want.

I got the cursor to go left & right so that'll do!

Swiftkey has this thing where long pressing the . key and sliding over gives access to !, ?, and ,. It's really convenient. But I'll put up with a lot not to have in and on swapped.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

effika posted:

I got the cursor to go left & right so that'll do!

Swiftkey has this thing where long pressing the . key and sliding over gives access to !, ?, and ,. It's really convenient. But I'll put up with a lot not to have in and on swapped.

That sounds very similar to long pressing it on Gboard

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

sourdough posted:

That sounds very similar to long pressing it on Gboard

On Gboard a long press brings up all the punctuation, but on Swiftkey, just swiping from the period left gives you an exclamation point and right gives a question mark. It's much faster.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Rap Game Goku posted:

On Gboard a long press brings up all the punctuation, but on Swiftkey, just swiping from the period left gives you an exclamation point and right gives a question mark. It's much faster.

There's an option in the keyboard preferences for ''Long-press for symbols" which means you can just long-press e.g. the n (for !) or m (for ?) keys. It makes the keyboard a little more cluttered looking, but it might be worth trying out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

Ah interesting, that's cool

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Huh? No!

There is another long press option for symbols

Here I am using it, and showing the one the poster recommended

https://i.imgur.com/SVm78sa.mp4

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

i still miss the ctrl+a/c/v/p type feature on swype. Gboard will never be good enough for me until they add that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Stevie Lee posted:

i still miss the ctrl+a/c/v/p type feature on swype. Gboard will never be good enough for me until they add that.

I miss swiping up beyond the keyboard to capitalize something while still swyping :(

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

I miss swiping up beyond the keyboard to capitalize something while still swyping :(

Same, and also remembering that I don't have to circle my double letters. And getting used to not needing to swipe over to the space bar from the comma/period as well as that Gboard just puts that in automatically. I'd also like it if I could tweak the accuracy a bit because I tend to overshoot letters and it doesn't always figure out the word I'm after, especially if it's a two or three letter word.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

oh yeah that too. god google sucks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Swype is one of those apps that was like best-in-class and then got quietly abandoned for whatever reason. I remember getting annoyed that Swype was getting less and less accurate over time, finally looking into it and finding out it had been discontinued a year or two prior.

Less well-known but similar was the app Couple, a private communication app intended for, well, couples. It was great, and had stuff like a shared shopping list that was actually useful, but it also quietly got abandoned. Between is the best replacement for it I've found, but the fact it's a Korean app with less than perfect internationalization takes some of the shine off it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well Swype's owned by Microsoft as of a few months ago thanks to them buying Nuance, maybe they'll create Microsoft Keyboard sometime. Their Android launcher's pro-tier great, after all.

Wait, MS already had SwiftKey, didn't they. Well, maybe they'll merge them. What happened to SwiftKey?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Well Swype's owned by Microsoft as of a few months ago thanks to them buying Nuance, maybe they'll create Microsoft Keyboard sometime. Their Android launcher's pro-tier great, after all.

Wait, MS already had SwiftKey, didn't they. Well, maybe they'll merge them. What happened to SwiftKey?

SwiftKey is still around and going strong. They recently pulled it from iPhones but quickly, like within days, returned it.

Swype was killed in 2018, though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swype

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I know, I was just saying, Microsoft bought the company that owned Swype earlier this year so maybe they'll dig it out of the old repos. Probably not though, way too hard to merge technologies like that

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember getting annoyed that Swype was getting less and less accurate over time, finally looking into it and finding out it had been discontinued a year or two prior.

I keep hearing this about old keyboard apps, but why/how does accuracy drop over time if it's no longer worked on?

I think SwiftKey gets updates for new/popular words being used.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just saying, Microsoft bought the company that owned Swype earlier this year so maybe they'll dig it out of the old repos. Probably not though, way too hard to merge technologies like that

They already own SwiftKey, so don't expect them to bring Swype back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

They already own SwiftKey, so don't expect them to bring Swype back.

More likely is that they did it to get a bunch of patents before someone else could snatch them and try to patent-troll MS.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Swiftkey just started throwing out complete nonsense in my autocorrect, fixing correct spellings to incorrect ones, changing, for example, "Thinking" to "Think ING". Absolutely deranged. Also a few days ago it stopped loading the keyboard, just putting up a large blank square where the keyboard went and expecting me to type with invisible keys. So I've tossed it. I'm Gboard (fine, I guess) and minuum (not updated since 2017 but I like it so far!)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah SwiftKey has got pretty bad recently, but it's still better than anything else I've tried

I miss fleksy but it's not updated in so long it doesn't work with the 'new' auto fill api

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

No matter how many times I tell SwiftKey to unlearn these nonwords it keeps being like, oh, you typed 'might'? You meant 'miggt'.
No I didn't! Stop that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, my main issue with SwiftKey is that it gives me nonsense suggestions and is very aggressive with additional features I don't need or want. I'm slowly getting used to GBoard and it's...yeah, it's fine.

Unrelated, I'm seeing really poor performance of the new Steam Chat app on my P7 Pro, which I was not seeing on my 3aXL. Not sure if there's anything to be done, though.