Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes, but aren't those just links? It seems odd to me that apps would just be downloading all linked images and videos by default.

Nah, the Twitter app will autoplay videos (no audio until you tap it) and show picture previews alongside tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Blue Train posted:

why even autoplay them at all then wth

Because it's a visual medium? You don't always have to have audio to understand what's happening, and that may very well entice you to tap and watch the whole thing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of an Android emulator if it's not truly emulating Android?

It's not emulating Android, it's just Android running on x86, therefore ARM-specific code won't run, and it's not emulating a specific device. It'll run the odd Android app just fine if that's all that's needed.
I'd assume when someone is looking for an Android emulator on Windows, they're looking to run Android apps on a desktop.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 16, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mikl posted:

The official Twitter app is becoming annoying, especially now that it hides the @-replies by deafult. (Twitter! Why gently caress everything up?)

Any suggestions regarding an alternate Twitter app? The thread's OP suggests Fenix as best-in-class, does that still apply?

I personally like Flamingo better than any of the other alternatives. It's not perfect, but it's the closest I feel any of the third-party apps get to giving me a clean space to read and navigate my timeline. It's still mindblowing that Android still doesn't have something on the level of Tweetbot, honestly.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastPass is at it again!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova Launcher is pretty drat good.

Yep. Nova is good if you want to customize a bunch of stuff, otherwise you can grab the Pixel Launcher APK or Google Now Launcher and those are both good.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastInLine posted:

And as far as I can tell, it's not even doable.

Specifically, you can't set the "Google widget" (whatever we call it) to only be on the first screen and you can't make it use round assets the way the Pixel Launcher does.

I'd really like to use it but I just use the Google stream to the left far too often and the little things that I'd tweak in Nova (mainly cleaning up the app drawer) just isn't worth giving it up even if I could make it look identical.

You can, just not if you set it as a persistent search bar, since... it'll be persistent in that case. Otherwise, it's just a placable widget via the normal widget selector. And if you mean round icons when you say round assets, you can do that, as well. It can still be arduous, but I believe it'll use round icons if they exist and you can download one of many stock round icon packs to mess with.

Again, it's 100% more work than just using the Pixel launcher, but unfortunately the Pixel launcher won't default to round icons on non-Pixel devices, so (AFAIK) it's the only way to get something approximating the Pixel look. Not being able to swipe for Now sucks, but for some it's not a massive deal.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Action Launcher 3. But doesn't have the swipe functionality either.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I just meant custom launchers there, not specifically Nova.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

nimper posted:

Ya I'm not sure why 18:9 is a thing with these new phones.

Most people are looking at giant scrolling lists, essentially, so it makes a bit of sense. On a related note, it's crazy how little time it takes for the screen on the S8 or G6 to look normal and make everything else look weird and fat.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Are there any good white noise/ambiance apps with Chromecast support?

I've used Lightning Bug off and on since at least 2011.

You could just cast the phones audio through the system-level casting in a pinch!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Can't I make a YouTube playlist and cast directly from the YouTube app? I haven't actually found any YouTube videos I care for though but I haven't looked too hard.

I really liked Lightning Bug's library of sounds.

For real... My suggestion was serious, just use the device-level casting if you like the app you have.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastInLine posted:

FYI the states where this would be illegal are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

AFAIK that's incorrect about Michigan, in that the courts had ruled the existing law was in regards to the conversations of others, not your own.

e: It wasn't taken to the MI Supreme Court, so I guess it could still get challenged.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Apparently paying through Apple requires different steps in order to switch. Basically I had to unsubscribe through iTunes, and then I'll have to resubscribe once my current sub ends. Also I had no idea Apple charges an additional 30% for subscriptions (I was paying $13 a month). Seriously, gently caress Apple!

Yeah, that's not Apple's fault. They take a 30% cut of all App Store sales (I believe Google's rate is the same), and Google decided to offload that onto Apple by charging an extra $3/mo. I thought they'd tried to put an end to that, too, buuuuuut ???

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I was highlighting the idea that in the general case a tablet requiring a keyboard infrequently doesn't mean that tablet hasn't solved anything.

What if you only had to have the keyboard to toggle a setting you might only toggle a couple times a year? I wouldn't say that means the tablet hasn't solved anything.

Ostensibly, that is a device that was designed to provide a full-touch ChromeOS experience. If it doesn't provide that, I'm not sure what it's solved.
Your earlier iPad comparison strikes me as sorta bizarre. The keyboard (or Pencil) provide additional features, they don't plug holes. That is not the Tab 10. The Tab 10 requires additional hardware not included to enable and execute basic features that every other Chromebook can do.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I was talking about the idea that a device requiring a keyboard to do something does not mean the device does not solve any problems. "Plugging holes" vs "providing addtional features" is a distinction without a difference. A keyboard on an ipad provides the additional feature that you can type long form text without fatigue or whatever. The ipad has the hole-to-be-plugged that you can't type long form text without fatigue.

Anyway, forget about any specific device, that's irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I was exploring the general idea whether a tablet requiring a keyboard to do some specific things means that the tablet is worthless or not.
I'll try not to spend too many words responding since I didn't realize this was the app thread, either... I'd used the phrase "plugging holes" as shorthand for "a way around a flaw that prevents you from doing something you're expected to be able to do," which maybe just isn't as clear as I thought. Essentially, nobody buys a tablet expecting a great long-form typing experience, whereas most people would expect "go home" to be a basic software thing that you shouldn't need additional hardware to do. One of those is a flaw in design and it makes sense to differentiate between those types of things.

Unrelated, has anyone used Dark Sky since its redesign? I actually really like it, something I don't often think is the case with app redesigns...

\/\/\/\/
That's fine, this post was only really talking about distinguishing between additional features and holes/flaws.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 9, 2018

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, for whatever reason verizon (i don't think they're the only carrier in the states doing this) are limiting it by device. :iiam:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Is there any analog for the iOS app Sofa?
It’s essentially a watchlist type app, but it has the ability to make custom lists with any type of media (movies, TV, books, games, podcasts) complete with searching to pull proper names and cover art. I know of things like Trakt but I’m hoping to find a single app that’ll let me keep my lists of things I wanna watch, play, and read together while looking nice and not cluttered with other notes or anything.
Bit of a specific request, I know, but fingers crossed...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I did not test out sharing but it sounds like that's a real weak point of 1Password but really nice in LastPass and decent enough in Bitwarden.

I don’t know if it’s new but you can share access to vaults in 1Pass now.

Also for anyone who hasn’t discovered it, when your password manager fails to pick up a login/password field, long press it and tap “autofill” et voila.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, app makers have nearly two years to shift to another weather api. carrot isn’t going to stop working.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anyone got a recommendation for a system-wide ad blocker? only name i'd heard recently was blokada, dunno if there's anything better. also any browser alternatives to chrome that support system autofill (so not samsung browser) and have some decent privacy-related options?

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 2, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

First Dark Sky, now GPM??? I've only ever used YT Music once before, and definitely prefered GPM. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

this has at least been talked about essentially ever since yt music launched, that they were going to eventually retire gpm in favor of it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

alnilam posted:

The awful app is really good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

eSporks posted:

What I'm looking for is less calendar, and more task management.

I'm trying out "time planner" and it's good so far.

Not sure if this is totally up your alley, but Toggl is probably the most popular time tracking service and I find the app to be pretty good. It has a mixture of tracking and pomodoro/focus features. Might be worth trying?