Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I just got my Note 9.

Last Note I had was the Note 4, and I used the S-Pen to play the poo poo out of some Kairosoft games.

But for some reason, Dungeon Village isn't recognizing the Note 9 S-Pen.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I actually really like the Samsung Health app that came pre-installed on my Note 9.

It tracks steps automatically, but it won't track distance (and thus, trains) unless you specifically activate the "Walk"/"Run"/"Hike" activities.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm not getting email notifications, I only really noticed it today when I saw your post about the calendar.

I think it must have something to do with my setup when I switched from my OG PixelXL to the Note 9.

I have Google Inbox installed, which I didn't use on the Pixel, but as far as the options go it *looks* like everything is set up to notify?

The app is connected to my account properly; all my emails show up in it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

drat, I love Inbox :(

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

H110Hawk posted:

OP needs Signal for SMS/MMS (And a warning that if you stop using it you must shutdown your account cleanly)

I really don't understand the appeal of Signal. I get its got ~encryption~, but good loving luck getting anyone else to switch to it. poo poo, I don't even know anybody who uses Whatsap. Also apparently Signal has some issues with not notifying you of received messages until you actually open the app.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Can't you just use Calibre to put the external books on your Kindle?

Unless you're saying that you use more than one Kindle device and that Document's thing allows you to keep them synced to the same "I've read this far" point across multiple devices?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

Holy gently caress they just straight up ruined PocketCasts :gonk:

I know!

Whenever I started a new podcast, I'd sort oldest-newest and then as I worked through the backlog I'd just delete the listened episodes and they'd jump to the bottom and be hidden. Now I have to scroll through a bunch of played episodes to get to the one I'm currently on.

Also, it's shrunken the UI and just looks janky.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a way to get the "chat features" in the Google Messages app on devices other than the Pixel3/XL?

I'm on a Note9 on Verizon and realized that I didn't have any of the features Google was claiming justified killing Allo, only to find they're ostensibly for Pixel only?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

CLAM DOWN posted:

RCS requires carrier support.

Verizon supports it, but their website says it's only available on the Pixel3 and Pixel3 XL

Since the carrier obviously supports it, I wanted to know if I could force it on my Note9

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just use Samsung Notes :shrug:

I'd feel weird not using it on my Samsung Note 9 :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

Not that I don't empathize but to paraphrase John Belushi, you hosed up--you trusted Google. You're not going to find anything that treats email anything like how Inbox did. I was a big fan of it too you'll just have to find a different system.

Only kind of related, but this is basically exactly what was going through my head when reading about Google's announced game streaming service.

Like, why would I pay Google a bunch of money for access to streaming games if said game library is going to vanish, or at best stagnate, in 2-3 years?

Google has a well known fear of commitment.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I stopped getting notifications from the Gmail app when I switched to Inbox, but now that Inbox is going away, I uninstalled it and wanted to go back to the vanilla app.

But I'm not getting push notifications from the normal Gmail app.

It's still processing emails I think in real time, because I get a Google Now notification for example when a package from Amazon ships/is delivered. Although maybe that's reading from SMS delivery updates?

But I'm not getting a Gmail notification.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you've checked the notification settings for GMail and made sure they're turned on? The Inbox app at one point offered to turn them off for you.

As far as I can tell they are:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

BisterdDave posted:

I think around 2011-ish I gave Spotify a try. Every song I streamed was somehow being downloaded to my phones internal storage as well (same thing happened to a friend who was using the app too). After about a week of using it my storage said Spotify was taking up ~1GB. Does it still do this, or was I stupid and forgot to uncheck some setting?

Spotify caches songs as you play them to minimize data usage in case you want to listen to them again as well as to buffer if your mobile network is poor. It only keeps a certain number of the most recently played songs.

If you specifically tell it to make a song/songs available offline, it permanently caches those songs separately from the streaming cache, and keeps them indefinitely until you tell it to stop keeping them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a way to get Google Drive (or Onedrive) to keep a file synced between my computer and my phone, in a way that makes the file on the phone accessible to other apps?

I have a Gameboy Emulator on my PC and my Phone, and I'd like to keep the game saves synced such that I can stop playing on one device and resume on the other with the same save.

I have the save files in a folder on Google Drive, but it appears to Drive does not maintain a folder on the phone the same way it does on the computer, rather the phone app lets me browse what's stored in the cloud and select items to download manually.

I even selected one of the save files in the Drive app and selected "make available offline", and it says it did so, but I can't find a Google Drive folder on my phone storage or SD card when browsing the file system with the system file browser.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I literally just opened a song in Spotify using Shazam, so...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

Not sure how many people have been following the DO Global click fraud case but it's resulted in the removal of ES File Manager from the Play Store. People affected should spend those survey dollars on Solid Explorer.

What is the difference between Solid Explorer and Solid Explorer Classic? Both appear to have a free and paid version.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
USA here: I don't know anyone at all who uses an alternative messaging app other than occasionally sending a message over Facebook Messenger. I suppose my little brother, who has an iPhone, might use iMessage amongst his friends?

But all of my friends/peers just use text messages, the occasional Facebook message, or the even rarer Discord message.

I don't know if it's just my friend group, or my age (28) or what.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
This probably isn't the perfect thread, but I have a question about Gmail.

I have a filter set up to automatically mark as read and archive any email that comes in with an "Unsubscribe" link. That works like 99% of the time, but every once in a while someone from my contacts will for example forward me something that has that in it, and thus that email gets filtered.

What can I change/add to the filter rules to make it not apply to emails coming from my contacts?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ever since I got my Galaxy Buds, my Note 9 has been Text-to-Speech reading the name of anyone who calls me, regardless of whether the phone is set to vibrate or silent.

I can't figure out what setting changed and how to disable it.

Since I use the earbuds for music, not for Bluetooth calls, I have no desire for it to ever read the names of callers, so completely disabling this is preferable.

Any ideas?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sir Lemming posted:

The skepticism about Stadia is justified, but I also have to remember how skeptical I was of Steam Link back in the day, and it ended up being drat near perfect. WAN obviously introduces more latency than LAN, but I can't really bring myself to call it unfeasible without feeling like Incredulous Man From The Past in a time travel movie.

I feel the need to point out that Steam Link was discontinued because nobody bought it.

Stadia has potential, but I just can't see Google sticking with it for the years needed to build out its infrastructure in the face of what's almost guaranteed to be very slow adoption.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Uthor posted:

For the Pixel Buds, you need to go into the Assistant settings within the Google app to edit how the ear buds work. I'd imagine it'd be similar on a Samsung.

Forgot to follow up on this:

The phone is still reading the name of callers out loud, even if the Galaxy Buds aren't in use. Like, right now the earbuds are at home and I'm at work, but the phone is still reading the caller ID.

As far as I can tell, everything is turned off in the System "Accessibility" settings, and I can't even adjust the Galaxy Wear app settings if the buds aren't connected.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm trying to move away from Beyondpod because it doesn't play very well with bluetooth controls. I tried Podcast Addict, and it's fine, but it seems to eat my battery at twice the rate that Beyondpod does. I was going to give Pocketcasts a try, but I see nothing but one and two star reviews on the Play Store page now. Did Pocketcasts become hot trash recently?

They released an "update" that removed some much loved features and drastically altered the UI.

Personally I didn't use the removed features, and I was able to figure out the new UI, but the update was hot garbage because it removed some things, altered others, and didn't actually add anything as far as I can tell.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Night Sight can make some pretty interesting effects in extreme lighting situations:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My car dealership offers to install Android Auto (which I'd assume replaces the stock head unit UI?) for $400.

Is it worth looking into? I've never used android auto.

The car's a 2015 Mazda.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Cross posting from the Android thread:

Annath posted:

So, I'm experiencing a weird issue.

I put a bunch of audio files (old Art Bell era Coast to Coast AM recordings lol) in a folder on the SD Card (not the inbuilt storage) figuring I could install some audio player and only have those files in the library to browse and play.

But no matter what media player I use, none of them can see the SD Card. They don't see the folder or the files.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make this work?

Also looking for suggestions for an app for that use case: playing long audio files, preferably with the ability to resume playback. I use spotify for music, so it'd basically only be for old radio programs or whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

smr posted:

syncing my Twitter viewing between a tablet and phone is a really critical use case for me

OK, I gotta ask, in what situation is anything Twitter related "critical"?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a way to make PowerAmp not automatically resume the last song I was playing, or not start up automatically in general, when I plug something into a headphone jack?

My personal vehicle has Bluetooth, which doesn't make PowerAmp automatically launch, but my work car has an AUX jack and when I plug that in PowerAmp automatically starts playing the last song I was listening to. But when I'm driving I generally prefer to do audiobooks or podcasts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Any good AMOLED wallpapers/wallpaper apps? Maybe something that can cycle from a set selection?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

the_lion posted:

Android file transfer for Mac stopped working for me. Is there another app I can install to send / receive files between my phone and my PC or Mac? Wireless is fine.

I used to use dukto, but I'm sending a large amount of files and it's not good at that. Any suggestions?

IIRC WiFi File Explorer allows you to transfer files to/from your phone and computer using a wifi connection and a web interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Authenticator+ appears to no longer be able to export the file needed. It gives an "export failed" error.

I guess I'll just have to manually add everything to Aegis.