Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use this to connect to the OpenVPN server on my Asus router. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Seconded. All that stuff works well. I just use the normal VNC viewer and Microsoft RDP app over a VPN.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm that guy with two thousand unread messages and I'm generally hands-off with my email. It's nice letting Inbox categorize stuff for me and it does a good job at making personal emails from real people stick out. It did take some getting used to in the beginning, but if your use case is like mine, it'll be good.

EDIT: I don't have many labels, but I think it would manage those very well too.

azurite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 18, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

What're you guys using? asmith@gmail.com or something?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

couldcareless posted:

Just give me a web based version of Allo and I won't care. That's all I ask Google.

It's in the works.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If you have the functionality built into your router, OpenVPN is solid. That way, you just tunnel through your home ISP for no additional cost, rather than a potentially untrustworthy intermediary.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is Spotify capable of pre-downloading auto-generated stations on an automatic basis like Google Play Music?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Firefox for Android is perceptibly less smooth than Chrome, but IMO it's not bad enough to outweigh its benefits. It may have gotten better since Quantum, but I'm not sure.

Firefox Focus feels faster to me and has built in adblock, so that may be worth a try. It's currently my default.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mystic Stylez posted:

As I scroll pages they kinda stutter, it isn't smooth.

It appears that the mobile version of Firefox actually hasn't received the Quantum improvements. It's coming in the (few?) next version(s) or something.

Weird. I would say the overall framerate feels lower, but I haven't noticed much stuttering, if any.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Evernote. It's got multi platform sync, but I don't know about the Dropbox bit.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Idk, unless they went back and changed their blog post, I interpreted it as everyone with GPM getting grandfathered in. I'm not getting rid of my GPM/YTR sub with the early bird rate until I'm forced.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

hotsauce posted:

I'm not messing with a good thing

https://i.imgur.com/BQrWWLi.png

Holy gently caress!

Edit: what a loving awful snipe

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've had it for just shy of 10 months now and got a total of $13.81. Is there a point where they start giving juicier surveys more consistently?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

manwithoutskin posted:

I went to Fitbit support and the Pixel 2 (or 2XL) isn't even on a supported list of devices. Get your poo poo together Fitbit! I really hope the Pixel 3 comes with the rumored smart watch (and it's decent!).

I have a Pixel, which is on their list of supported devices, and it still didn't work for poo poo with the Versa. I ended up returning the Versa and getting a Garmin, which has been better than the Versa in every way, IMO.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

H2Eau posted:

They're working on getting them up to parity (e.g. pIt works quite well, and the mixtape feature is a bunch better than Google Play Music's "radio stations".

The mixtape is a neat idea and all, but it's no replacement for being able to download your own stations. You can play radio stations, but the ability to download them is currently absent.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It might be a way to make YouTube Music available for all. Glad you got it though! It's useful when it shows up.

Apparently, this is happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YoutubeMusic/comments/8si0on/youtube_music_history_and_playlists_were_just/

That's great news. I really didn't need "This is America" mashups taking over my mixtape just because I watched videos in the meme thread.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Holy poo poo YouTube Music is bad. I have it set to not stream unless I'm on wifi, so now it won't initiate playback of my downloaded music unless I do it from the "Downloads" screen. It doesn't realize that I have downloaded my playlists. Earlier today, it even refused to resume playback mid-playlist because I wasn't on wifi.

azurite fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 28, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sir Lemming posted:

I like how Android Messages wants me to respond to "Happy Birthday" texts with "Thanks, you too!" I guess Google's AI is just as awkward as a real CS major. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING ME WITH THIS, GOOGLE

I texted "oh baby" to my girlfriend, and it suggested "what do you want?" as a reply.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My work travel booking thingy (Concur) was pushing TripIt. I haven't personally used it yet, but just wanted to throw an option out there.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, i had the Gboard and battery saver things happen today too. It's all resolved now. Strange.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Why is google messaging a total dumpster fire in tyool 2018? I have an idea google. Shitcan everything and make one (1) good app. Maybe call it, oh, I dunno, gchat.

j/k, just call it gmessage. Make gmessage-gmessage bubbles orange and texts to iPhones grey. Make it baked-in to Android, and make it fallback gracefully to RCS, or SMS if gmessage and RCS are unavailable.

Make a desktop app that lets you gmessage from a computer.

Give it a .gif library (and AR emoji if you absolutely have to).

Don't abandon it after 12 months.

There, I solved messaging for you. I take payment by venmo (get it, because your venmo clone is also a dumpster fire)

Lol Google has been doing pretty much everything you've suggested on a cyclical basis, except for the abandonment bit.

Or is this a jokepost?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh this reminds me and this probably should've been posted here before. But, Google is sending warnings that, if you are on the beta for Play Services, you should drop out of it as it could break Gmail and Hangouts now that Google+ is gone.

Why in God's name would anyone opt into that beta?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

cage-free egghead posted:

Wasn't the idea of this already done in Letterkenny season 1? The fartbook episode?

To be fairrrrr, they didn't make it an actual app.

Life imitates (f)art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Does YouTube Music pre-download "stations" for offline use yet? That's pretty much the only feature that I need from GPM.