Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I prefer to use Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

Well, you're wrong.

Hangouts is dead, Google is making a third messenger client for RCS because they're a bunch of ADD-riddled morons.

In true Google fashion, I say there's about an 90% chance that the third messaging client (let's ignore everything before Hangouts) will not have any integration with Google Voice voicemail transcripts at all, and Hangouts will be neglected more and more while reading voicemail transcripts will get harder and harder.

Still, living in a Google Voice world is pretty great.

Voicemails, SMS, and Hangouts all integrated into one app that also works seamlessly on the desktop and between devices...even WiFi-only tablets.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Work doesn't provide a WiFi network for us to connect to. There's a semi-open network setup for customers, but we're not supposed to use it. Unless the WiFi based location can use WiFi I'm not connected to, it's not useful for me.

You don't have to connect to it. Your phone just has to be able to see it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Defenestration posted:

Is there a language learning app that isn't bubblegum garbage like duolingo? I'm specifically looking for Dutch right now but I'll take any suggestions

"bubblegum garbage" is not a good description of what you don't like about duolingo for anyone to give you any suggestions for anything else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tots posted:

What's the hot cross platform group chat app these days? Slack maybe? That's marketed towards professional environments though. I'm looking for something that will be good for a hobby-based chat with like 100ish people in it for organizing get togethers, doing quick pulse checks, and general chat.

Discord is pretty good, but I'll admit I don't use it on Android very much.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Discord is pretty good, but I'll admit I don't use it on Android very much.

Tots posted:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I ended up going with slack after trying out the other ones,

Tots posted:

It's not too late to switch over and I haven't tried discord yet. Will check it out. Any specific advantages over Slack that you like?

YOU GODDAMNED LIAR

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been perfectly fine with Hangouts with Google Voice until this issue so I'm not quite ready to say it blows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I was being a bit harsh, but to be honest, I can never remember a time when I thought Google Voice worked as well as just using my phone's number. There has always been something that didn't work well, or just didn't work at all.

I started using GVoice when it was actually GrandCentral and up until a couple years ago I felt the exact same way. Then Google got it integrated with Hangouts and then got it working right in Hangouts and then it's been so well integrated across desktop and mobile that I forget that not everyone lives in the glorious Google Voice world I live in.

Until it got lovely for me a couple days ago.

But now maybe it's better? I haven't had a problem in a couple hours...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

flatluigi posted:

What's the best way to set up my tablet to connect to my phone and use its data plan for internet? My tablet's wifi only but I'd love to be able to use it reliably on a car trip.

On all my devices you can just go into wireless settings and turn on tethering which H then gives your tablet a wifi network to connect to.

Of course you might have a poo poo carrier with a poo poo carrier-branded device that blocks this...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yes, no.

I seem to have managed to fix it by wiping data for hangouts...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Chrome custom tabs as implemented by Chromer are faster than Chrome.

That's not exactly enough to keep me using it, the next two things are what does it for me:

1. Because I have a ton of data on my mobile plan (though you can configure it to do this only on wifi), I really like the option where it scans everything you're looking at and pre-loads urls so if you click one of them it's already loaded. Here's hoping it's not uploading everything I look at to China.
2. You can stack up a bunch of links in floating Link Bubble style bubbles. So, for example, when I'm looking at my suggested Google Now stories, I can look through them, click the ones I want, and each one pops open another bubble. Then when I get to end of list, I can go through the bubbles and read the articles.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

It has seemed very hit or miss about loading the page in the background. This is what I liked about Link Bubble was loading several pages from Reddit Is Fun in to bubbles, and letting them load up while I read more headlines. Then opening the bubbles which will have fully loaded in the background.

Chromer seems to do this less than half of the time for me. I open a "web head" bubble and then the page starts loading.

Oh yeah, it does that for me as well. I'll stack 'em up and when I click them sometimes that's when they start to load. It's not ideal, but the loading of the bubbles in the background is only part of the utility to me...the main part of the utility is a reminder to look at this link when I'm done looking at what I'm looking at.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don't forget about Grimbo!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

it seems a little odd to use Android and be concerned about a company tracking everything you do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Waze is really good in ways that Maps is not and vice versa. Overall I end up using Maps because where it's better than Waze ends up being the most important for me.

Really though, it's hard to go wrong with either unless one is just really bad at something important to you.

(this completely generic review can also work for any two apps... but also reflects my honest opinion about Waze vs Maps)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's been years since I bought an app that wasn't paid for with survey bucks...surveys are subsidizing a lot of app developer incomes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Geektox posted:

Cool let's have this discussion again like there's an good argument to be made for not paying someone for their work that you use and enjoy.

Calling out people for being stupid about paying for apps is more worthwhile than arguing about Touchwiz.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I use whitepages caller id. Works fine.

The ideal solution would come from the carrier, but carriers suck so here we are.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I posted in here a while ago asking for a vnc style app, but we still cant get one working. Maybe because our app is built in unity?
Anyone here familiar with mirroring a unity app to another phone, or even just a piece of reference text that can say where someone is in it? /how difficult it is.
I also have a few other questions for any seasoned developers, namely:

How difficult is it to auto update unsigned apk's over wifi - and what do we need to use to host the apk files for this to happen? Our idea for the frontend website was a simple wordpress login/database template that links to a google drive.
by the end of this year I see us having up to 100 users, who can choose from around 50 apk files to keep on their phone of various presentations that they swap in and out of as they please. We're going to recommend that they back the installers up rather than delete outright (file sizes range from 2-500mb each), so it'd need to auto update if someone installs from an old one - or wipe clean should it not be relevant anymore.
kind of like a private app store, but hopefully not as expensive as that collection of words makes it sound.

There's another thing we were thinking about - how possible is it to automatically generate an app that acts as a front end for these apk files? The idea being they'd go on our website and pick 5 of these presentations, name it, then get a link to download an app which when started is just a launcher for the 5 presentations. it would need to check that they already exist on the phone and make note of it, but it would provide a very clean way to show these without the user having to spend time sorting through apps moving them in and out of folders constantly.

We do want to hire a coder to handle these as they're a little bit above our area of expertise. Would appreciate an idea of how difficult these things are, how long they'd take and how much it would cost a coder to get them running. If anyone here is or knows someone that could knock the first ones out easily then we've got a budget to get those done straight away. I figure the first 2 might be a little easier and the third is a little more involved (plus might need a reworking of the website?)
I didn't post this in the straight up hiring a developer part because I guess what i'm after most is an understanding of what we're asking.

This isn't really the thread for this. You should try this one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah it appeared in the last week or so. You can also start it from Menu, Start Driving.

Came out in January.

https://maps.googleblog.com/2016/01/do-i-stay-or-do-i-go-now-google-maps.html?m=1

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Klowns posted:

Anybody else getting a silly amount of Google Reward surveys? I've gotten seven since yesterday and my phone has moved from my nightstand to my computer desk, not that I mind the extra $3.50

Yeah, I've gotten around that same number in the same amount of time. I don't let it buzz or make any sound so it doesn't bother me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fluppet posted:

What's the best combination of apps to automatically sync photos to a nas when on home wifi?

Install Dropbox on phone and on NAS and set it to sync photos on wifi?

Probably a better solution available, because I don't think there's a way to select which wifi networks it syncs on.

Alternatively, embrace the butt and use Google Photos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

smr posted:

permanent alarm

Sometimes I get something similar when I turn off my vehicle while listening to Pocket Casts. It will just keep playing through the phone speakers. The app says its stopped and the notification says its stopped.

Fortunately, swiping PC off of the task view works to kill it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Alternatively, OneNote is great on phones, but OneNote isn't great for todo lists compared to Keep.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's awesome and a great addition.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just get loving youtube red you cheapass people.

It's great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

It was an awesome feature.

I think if you're a heavy web user, it was a great feature. If you didn't use your phone for browsing, I can see why you might not want it.

I didn't like it because I'm a heavy web user. I'll have tons of tabs and it made it hard to find the regular app I'm looking for.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I don't use Twitter, but...i don't see how twitter could be a huge data hog in the first place. It's just small amounts of text.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well yes, but aren't those just links? It seems odd to me that apps would just be downloading all linked images and videos by default.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Hangouts is one of my most-used apps. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with it but I only use it for Hangouts messages and GV.

Hello, me.

Actually, hangouts is among my favorite apps.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Luchadork posted:

You know, I love Google Music, but the stations feature really needs some work.

First of all, the names and themes of the stations are sometimes incredibly obtuse. Like, I listen to a lot of electronic stuff and I'd much rather have stations based around all the sub-genres. Instead, I get stations with names like "Code Your Face Off". What the gently caress.

Then, it seems that Google sometimes changes the names of the stations, but the app doesn't update the names if you've previously listened to them. For example, I saved "Mellow Electronica" to my library, but if you actually go into the station the name changes to "Chill Electronica". "Electronic Study: Ambient" changed to "Ambient for Studying". I was going crazy, thinking these were all different stations, some of which I didn't pick, until I realized the name was just different in some spots.

Google is something else sometimes.

Not really, the best you could do is make a note label for, let's say, shopping, and then apply that to your grocery list. Then when you go to put the big widget down on the desktop you can choose what labels to show, and pick "shopping". It's not perfect but it's probably the closest you'll get.

I actually prefer stations that way, but that's because I'm extremely casual about my music and just want the sounds played at my ears with no interaction on my part. I'd hate to have to go select some sub genre of a radio station to listen to. I just want google to play me some music and it's nice if there's some theoretical theme to tie the selections together.

My guess is that this isn't really an example of Google being Google in that they can't quite get their act together, but it's Google being Google in that they have a specific use case they designed for (and in my opinion, succeeded quite well at).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spincube posted:

I just wish there was more flexibility for automatic playlists. Why can't I shuffle all the Blues music I have thumbs-up-ed in my library? Why can't I create a twenty minute playlist of songs I haven't listened to lately for when I'm commuting? - etc.

Yes, this would be cool stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nocal posted:

Duo, in and of itself, is "perfect" to me in terms of what is required of an app. Very simple, high quality, cross-platform, and does one thing perfectly.

I'd be very psyched if it came out in 2012.

I agree with this. I think most of the idea behind Duo is sound and good. Unfortunately, it's not for me and it sucks that it sounds like it comes at the expense of Hangouts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I always wish it would give me a way to say "im not interested in whatever signal made you think i wanted this bullshit".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Luchadork posted:

The problem with Allo and Duo is going to be the same problem Hangouts has, which is they're only good if most of the people you talk to are willing to download and use them. Like 90% of my social circle is on Android, but no one would use Hangouts, even when it came pre-installed because SMS worked fine for them and what is this green app thing.

Then Google Messenger came out and several of them switched from their stock SMS app to that. I don't know, maybe I just have weird friends.

No, people using Hangouts a lot are the ones with weird friends.

Duo seems to be very popular based upon reviews/downloads on the Play Store...but its install base is still tiny compared to the number of people using smartphones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

All these IM apps are goddamn poo poo.

Its like no one remember what made the internet good. Create a low-level, open, cross-platform specification and then let people make whatever apps they want implementing said specification.

SMS/MMS is kind of there, but it's too much controlled by carriers and too lacking in features.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dazjw posted:

Matrix.org is trying to do this, although it's probably just going to XMPP hard.

Yeah, I fully support what they're doing.

Of course, anything that doesn't have the support of multiple big players like Google, FB, etc really has an uphill battle.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I always mean to mention this, but if any of you RSS/news junkies want to use TinyTinyRSS but lack the technical chops or time to set up a server, and I get enough people telling me they're interested, I'll set up a server for you.

It basically works like a better version of the defunct Google Reader. The Android app works very well.

Just PM me if you're interested. Note that if there's enough interest I might one day charge something for it just to cover costs, but it'd have to be more popular than I imagine it will be for me to even worry about the costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

calandryll posted:

What app are you using on Android? I've got my own instance of TTRSS. Wouldn't mind something to connect to with my tablet when I'm on vacation.

The Official One