Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's like they took all the good points of hangouts, no phone number, any device, built into inbox/gmail, and asked what's the best way to rip it out and make the new app less usable. For apps that are probably going to be abandoned in a year since no one is going to move away from hangouts.

My favourite poo poo is when they put features back into products that they previously removed a long time ago and suggest that they're new. Like being able to download offline maps after they removed that years prior, or when they put voice chat back into hangouts after removing it for the first year or so*. And now having "incognito" chats in Allo, which had previously been called "off the record" for nearly the entire lifespan of original/classic chat within Gmail. Which I still use on my main account since there is nothing they won't gently caress with to death anymore.

*my FAVOURITE favourite part of them removing voice chats originally was because their solution was "Just use Google Voice!" which is only available in the USA, so they cut voice chat service for the entire rest of the planet overnight. Must have been a great day for Skype.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 21, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Budgie posted:

Quite right too, it's a dying technology and several orders of magnitude more expensive for the end user.

Taffer posted:

SMS should have died a decade ago

Unlimited worldwide SMS and MMS has been standard here for like a decade, meanwhile it's $95 for a maximum of 6gb of data. :canada:
There are entire countries where data-based messaging apps don't make any sense when SMS is the base standard for phones and practically free.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

always be closing posted:

What's an ad and virus and information safe app that will let me obscure my license plate in car pics?

E- forgot about gimp, trying that.

The paint tool that's inside the photo/gallery app itself?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Vanellope posted:

Even if they have a successful "old" product? That doesn't make any sense at all. :psyduck:

.....:google:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

SMS is dead and buried so there isn't a lot of opportunity for a fuckup.
Even so it's time to face to bloodshed and stop using Hangouts for SMS. Also to stop using SMS.

I average about 1000 texts a month, data costs money and SMS is unlimited and free. It's base standard for phones and not going anywhere.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Data is also unlimited for me. Sucks to be poor, I guess. :smug:

If you need me I'll be over here streaming HD video nonstop.

:chloe:

As was already discussed on pg59 - there are entire countries where unlimited data is either prohibitively expensive or straight-up does not exist.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

You don't need unlimited data for (essentially) unlimited messaging - it uses very little in the scheme of things.

That doesn't matter when texting is the thing everyone already uses all the time no matter what, and sending a message with any data-based app or service is going to result in them asking why you're not just texting them. Like CLAM DOWN already said none of us have a need to abandon SMS.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

maltesh posted:

That said, I tend to use Moon+ Reader, even with its slightly confusing layout,

Love love love Moon+ Reader, I use the hell out of the custom page theme settings.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

apropos man posted:

Dirty Tweaks

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
How many dirty tweaks u got, iPhone? None?!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Mikl posted:

I need an app to back up my text messages to my PC, complete with timestamps and the like. And, if possible, restore them to the phone later. What should I use? :)

SMS Backup+ backs up everything into Gmail conversation threads and restores everything except MMS at the moment.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

No, it comes with all three pre-installed and hangouts disabled.

Oh my god

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I have found over and over again in the past 4 years of using it that Google Photos misses/skips photos.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Yes as this iteration. Prior to that it was part of g+, same exact poo poo and functionality without the stand alone aspect. And then, as now, it skips photos.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Correct.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Wrecking Ball posted:

I am a straight woman in a long term relationship. I have my boss and co-workers in my phone contacts. I don't want to send the wrong things to the wrong people?

Change all the sensitive contact names to have a few X or Zs or Qs in front of them so it won't guess them (unless you know a lot of people whose names start with X).
Or like WORKboss, WORKname.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

Update, I installed SwiftKey and will give it a trial run. Is it worth making an account?

Making an account is tied to it going through and learning your patterns from all your previous texts/emails/IMs /whatever you want it to predict from so if you want it to get scary accurate yes make an account.
If you don't care about its prediction ability then don't.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

Also it forces you to delete the word letter by letter instead of a whole word at a time. I uninstalled it and went back to Google keyboard.

Long pressing the backspace key in flow mode deletes full words.

The "mammy" resolution is to backspace once so the word appears in the prediction box, long press that, and set it to never predict that word again.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 4, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Zephyrine posted:

I'm looking for a media player that respects how I place my folders.

Pulsar has folder view and you can set that as the only interface you ever see on it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

C-Euro posted:

Thanks. Looking at Moon Reader's features now and it mention syncing reading positions across multiple devices, do I need Pro for that?

No, that's a standard feature and is controlled through a file it places in your Dropbox or Gdrive which you link to the app.

But buy the app anyway.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

boo_radley posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the need Google keyboard is ur yeah. The latest version released for the park has recipe autocorrect.

Was this typed on google keyboard

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for accessibility software or even phones in general for someone with low vision? My mother in law has a form of macular degeneration (I think?) which severely restricts her focal vision, but still lets her "see around" it.

If you search "low vision" in the play store there's a lot of apps and launcher options to make everything high contrast and HUGE, such as:

Big Launcher (was recommended in here previously)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.kunes.android.launcher.demo

Easee
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.momemi.android.easee

HCLauncher
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilendo.hclauncher

I have tried none of these but selecting one will bring up tons of similar ones.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

I'd go with some one-off Android maps weirdness. Doesn't show up for me at that location.

Me either.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

maltesh posted:

Aye, when I frequented the Gmail help forums, it was the cause of one the most common questions there, though typically phrased in the form of "Why did Google give my address to another person?"

I've read the longest one of these threads (6 years and counting) and it's some of the most hilariously dumb arguments I've ever seen on this old internet.
They don't understand dots can be in Gmail addresses either.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I don't know what I want more- google products that don't fundamentally change/break/disappear suddenly after an update, or for them to make a god drat "dark" theme option for once

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Everything I can think of that goes the other way is either straight up nerd poo poo (Steam, WinAmp skins) or just awful design (cable box UIs).

I don't know if this fits in your nerd poo poo theory but since Adobe made dark UIs an option several years ago in creative suite products I've never seen anyone at any design agency use anything else. I stare at black/grey well designed UIs all day. And ironically the people designing these things for Google are absolutely doing it in a black Adobe UI too.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

XIII posted:

Definitely helps offset that their prediction algorithm is the weakest of the major keyboards.

Is this a swipe or beta prediction problem? Because my Swiftkey is essentially psychic at this point. It gives me partial sentences now.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

pee out my butt posted:

It doesn't matter because in a year they'll completely shutter Hangouts in favor of another new Google messaging platform no one will use.

I still use the original google talk/gchat interface in Gmail and never even switched it to hangouts and this was supposed to be shuttered 3 years ago at least.

I somehow have equal faith in them stopping something as I do for them fixing something. The magic of Google.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

wouldn't SMS encompass all of them?

are there people who can't get a text on their smartphone?

It's a personal graph not general. There are tons of people I can message on various poo poo but I will never know their phone numbers.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

jokes posted:

they sent Howe a message on Allo, Hangouts, Slack, Telegram, WeChat and Whatsapp that the machine made a mistake the day he got the prognosis, but Howe had an iPhone and didn't have any of those apps.

Sounds like he needed this new miraculous product
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/13/14908218/eye-esti-inc-iphone-case-android-why-kickstarter

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Google's removing/hiding features and then reintroducing them like they're new and special over and over again is some hosed up kind of corporate gaslighting.

This has been available for years if you were on G+. I'm looking at real-time locations for 20 of my google contacts on a map right now.

:psyduck:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Just downloaded Textra as a replacement for Hangouts for SMS. How do I get it to open the app when I tap on the notification rather than open what I'd call a quick reply? I have the actual Quick Reply toggle off in Settings. It's driving me crazy.

Customize Notifications > Action - tap notification to open > full app

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It's cool google I didn't want that thing I'd been using for years anyway.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Google is getting a new cross-platform sign in page for both mobile and web!
It's going to "Have a cleaner, simpler look" and "Make the sign-in process faster" than their current layout which is just entering your username + password on a basically blank page. I'm utterly afraid of what this could possibly mean!

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7338427?visit_id=0-636264640487875149-2881906709&p=signin_newlook&rd=1

If there's one thing I think Google needs to work on, it's their sign in page being too complex.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I use Pulsar because I liked the layout better than other options, and after trying several that's what it came down to for me.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Thermopyle posted:

I seem to have some vague memory of Google Photos having some functionality around automatic albums containing photos from multiple people at the same event. Is that still (or ever) a thing? How does it work if so?

It's part of Events within Google Plus, I've used it. If you can actually convince anyone to set up an event in G+ it's part of the Event page. I don't know if that fits your definition of "automatic".

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Protip: use the Facebook mobile site instead of the app at all if you want to avoid bloat or whatever

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Wrist Watch posted:

No, but chronological order doesn't make sense for the way they intend Facebook to be used. I used to hate their algorithm too, but it works fine now.

This has not been my experience with the algorithm whatsoever, I'm happy it works for you but if I leave it to non-chronological it pushes poo poo like "someone you don't know replied to a comment on a post from 4 days ago by a friend you've not interacted with in months!" as the first post in the normal news feed. It's bordering on insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

What's a good ereader app where night mode is a proper black instead of just dark grey? Ideally would like to be able to customise font colour as well, plus synch with my other devices.

Another vote for Moonreader, which has custom colour and font control options that can only be described as excessive.