Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Hi podcast and radio forum!

Does anyone here use an actual, physical radio? I subscribe to a few podcasts and mix those in with the occasional audiobook and for the most part I don't mind just listening via either phone speaker, ear buds or some very small speakers I move from room to room, but I'm more and more wanting to buy an actual radio with DAB and DAB+ and bluetooth for phone/computer streaming that could double as a small stereo.

What sort of audio equipment solution are you guys using for your radio habits?

I use my iphone for most things, I buy audiobooks from audible and use their app or from iTunes and use the iBooks app, podcasts are subscribed to in the apple podcast app and listened to there as well.

When in the kitchen cooking or cleaning, I use a pair of small "collapsable" speakers. They're really meant for travelling I think, but they're surprisingly nice, a little better than my laptop speakers. I also use these when I've got guests and they want to listen to music.

In bed for falling asleep I just leave the iphone on the bed side table, set a sleep timer and listen from the phone speaker. That works just fine, I'm not listening to anything with a complex and subtle soundscape.

Everywhere else I listen with a pair of in ear sennheiser cx-300ii, I've used these for years and years and they generally last me about 2 years. I'm on my fifth or sixth pair now and I can't live without them, they're fantastic. If I'm outside, I'm wearing these at all times while walking pr cycling to and from places, shopping, having a coffee, intently working, working out, vegging out and everything inbetween.

But I miss the presence of a physical radio. When I was a kid, I had this old cassette FM radio near my bed and I'd lay there listening to music stations, scanning the band and being trigger ready to record to tape if a song came on I liked. That radio had a problem with the power wire, so I had to put the radio "on it's back" and hold it down against a small wooden shelf, otherwise it wouldn't connect and just power off.

Is everyone just on headphones in the metro? Do you listen in your car? Or do you have something like an exclusive vinyl setup that doubles as a radio listening station? Do you listen before sleeping or do you wake up to an oldschool radio alarm clock and keep listening throughout the morning?

Edit: I should probably make clear this is mainly about talk radio or podcast listening, rather than music, though of course the equipment overlaps quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

What is wrong with you?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I like to listen with my ears.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
i like burning them to CDs then I transfer them over to tapes on my dad's old stereo then I just walk around with a big-rear end boombox on my shoulder blasting random podcasts

it's not the most convenient process but it's worth it imo

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I listen to podcasts just fine, thanks!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Very carefully.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Like any normal person, I listen to books/podcasts on my phone, with headphones when I am moving around or around other people, or with the speaker if I am chilling. I also have a stereo at home to listen to music.

This does not give me any sort of crisis.

• Locked thread