Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
i'm just finishing up SOTN and this is my first ever game in the series, and IMO contrary to popular belief it is a great game. Wondering what other ones I should play? are any of the 3d ones good at all? i have Circle of the moon on GBA but havent played it

thoughts on this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
every 2D castlevania is good, with the possible exception of Harmony of Despair, which has a loving bitchin' soundtrack but is grindy and bad without friends.

E: not to be confused with Harmony of Dissonance, which is good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Order of Ecclesia
Order of Ecclesia
Also Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth is cool too but it's trapped in Wii VC forever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Super Castlevania 4
Symphony of the Night

Basically every game is good, save for maybe Simon's Quest and that weird multiplayer game, but these are the best.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
they're all good ... i like porttrait of ruin and order of ecclesia.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Order of Ecclesia
Order of Ecclesia
Also Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth is cool too but it's trapped in Wii VC forever.

i do have a wii and I just read about it, sounds good, will get this

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Super Castlevania 4
Symphony of the Night

Basically every game is good, save for maybe Simon's Quest and that weird multiplayer game, but these are the best.

I fuckin' loved the weird multiplayer game on 360, but if there's not others playing it anymore it's not going to be very much fun.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Simon's Quest is awesome and Harmony of Despair is, to quote Soma Cruz in that game, "Crap."

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I thought i was done with SOTN but turns out i beat the dude too early and got the "bad" ending so I'm going back to right some wrongs

Is the snes one a "metroidvania" like this or was this the first one

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i like castlemania 1, 3, sotn, order of ecclasia the best. order of ecclasia is the best of the sotn style ones imho. alright. seeya.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Op who says that sotn isn't a great game?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Aria of Sorrow is the one I played the most, and my favorite

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

the next Castlevania will be a free to play "endless runner" with lots of in app purchases

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Dawn Of Sorrow is a really good SOTN Castlevania too, just do your best to ignore the dialogue portraits cuz they're really bad

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
all the DS ones are nearly flawless

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Aria of Sorrow is the one I played the most, and my favorite

same

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i think i like csiv the least of the classic castlevania games because it changed the rrules too much, even tho it's a good game edit oops no wait simon's quest is much worse, pardon

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Of the 3d ones I think Lament of Innocence is best. It's like DMC lite with a cool kirby 64 esque subweapon combo system and is on ps3 as a downloadable title.

I really want to try curse of darkness too but it's not on PSN.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kid Dracula

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I almost posted this thread because I started playing super castlevania and I'm going to work my way up through sotn and the gba/ds ones. Aria of Sorrow is really good.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ralp posted:

I almost posted this thread because I started playing super castlevania and I'm going to work my way up through sotn and the gba/ds ones. Aria of Sorrow is really good.

im wondering if i should buy it for 22 bucks or get the one that has harmony of dissonance on it too for 35. knowing my luck it'd be some janky pirate cart

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Fake GBA carts are everywhere. Stay safe OP

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

frank.club posted:

Op who says that sotn isn't a great game?

You got trolled by African AIDS Cum. Condolences.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

African AIDS cum posted:

Is the snes one a "metroidvania" like this

No, btw. also there is Dracula X which I've never played but looks brutally difficult judging from James and Mike Mondays. If the snes version is similar to whatever Nihongo version they played anyway.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i really liked the DS games

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im playing though bloodlines and rocket knight adventures right now

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Ralp posted:

No, btw. also there is Dracula X which I've never played but looks brutally difficult judging from James and Mike Mondays. If the snes version is similar to whatever Nihongo version they played anyway.

The SNES Dracula X and the Turbo Duo Dracula X (Rondo of Blood) are two different games. The SNES one is sort of a pseudo-sequel to the Turbo one. Honestly the Turbo Duo one is a lot better as well. It's got some really cool stuff going on in it and really isn't all that hard till you get to the Grim Reaper or the Shaft Boss Rush.

Rondo is the prequel to Sotn as well.

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 22, 2015

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

1, 2, 3, Rondo of Blood and Aria of Sorrow. Farewell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i really liked the DS games

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dawn of Sorrow is really fun even with the 4kidz rear end art.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is really fun even with the 4kidz rear end art.

I kinda like the art

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Harmony of Dissonance is underrated but the DS ones are the best

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I kinda like the art

yeah i like videogames too

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you want more of the Castlvanias like SOTN get Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and all the Castlevanias on DS.

The older Castlevanias are their own beasts in a way and are level based and much harder. 1, 3, 4, Bloodlines, and Rondo of Blood are the ones that are well liked among them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the only castlevanias i played were dawn of sorrow, harmony of dissonance and circle of the moon and they were all sick.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Use this badass patch customizer for Castlevania 2 and have super fun times.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah i like videogames too

I'm saying the art for that game isn't as bad as everyone says, especially in the actual game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm saying the art for that game isn't as bad as everyone says, especially in the actual game

Yeah it's mostly the cover art that is really bad, the character portraits look a smidge better in game.

• Locked thread