Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Only WHO can prevent forest fires?
This poll is closed.
You 34 16.92%
Me 28 13.93%
I don't know 24 11.94%
heh think i'll START a forest fire soon, if you know what i mean :350: 55 27.36%
:yayclod: 60 29.85%
Total: 119 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Forest fires are serious business. Please take this readiness exam to determine how likely you are to burn our national treasury down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
You said you, referring to me. The correct answer is you.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
SCORING GUIDE:

"You": You have selected “you”, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is you. -5 points

"Me": You have selected "me", referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is you. -5 points

"I don't know": Can anyone really know anything? As it turns out, we can, but not in the way we think we might. -3 points

":350:": hey, are you carrying? could I buy some off of you? my normal guy's been out all drat week. +10 points if you are, -50 if you aren't

":yayclod:" thank you for your participation. +1 points

< -13: You've been automatically diagnosed with pyromania. Your name has been forwarded to your local fire department as a likely suspect in all future arsons.
-13 to -6: Wait, did you select multiple options at once? That's completely inappropriate. Get your head in the game and try again.
-5 to 0: You're a good lad who means well, but you need to study up. Fire season's around the bend soon.
> 0: Good job! Smokey the bear would be proud of you. Please don't hug the bear, he WILL maul you severely.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Wait, the World Health Organisation?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
please stop setting fires it's not very cool tia

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Dr. WHO is busy organising all the ugly chicks into one big fandom. He doesn't have time for lovely fires.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

chaosbreather posted:

Only they can do it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

chaosbreather posted:

You selected, "World Health Organization". That is incorrect. Only you can prevent forest fires.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Lamebot posted:

Only they can do it.

wwe should probably just stay clear.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
mike joooones

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Only ewes can prevent forest fires, because they are hard to burn when piled up high enough

e: but so delicious

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

You pressed you, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is you.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

actually this is a good place to get some answers that i always wondered about after watching that episode. someone who is american please explain to me:

a) why bushfires get a mascot? normally you only give good things mascots? is it because all the mascots rape so much in the US that kids are terrified of mascots? is it because bears are scary? if its the latter why does it talk friendly and wear human clothes? is it to trick kids into liking bears? how does that stop fires?

b) why the fire rape bear has an axe? is it to chop firewood to start fires? he doesn't need it for murdering because it is already a bear, one of the most deadliest apex predators

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

chaosbreather posted:

actually this is a good place to get some answers that i always wondered about after watching that episode. someone who is american please explain to me:

a) why bushfires get a mascot? normally you only give good things mascots? is it because all the mascots rape so much in the US that kids are terrified of mascots? is it because bears are scary? if its the latter why does it talk friendly and wear human clothes? is it to trick kids into liking bears? how does that stop fires?

b) why the fire rape bear has an axe? is it to chop firewood to start fires? he doesn't need it for murdering because it is already a bear, one of the most deadliest apex predators

He is the anti-forest fire mascot. He opposes them, on account of they're bad. I don't recall if he really carries an axe, and I'm pretty sure he actually carries a shovel, because you should always smother, wet, stir, then smother again a campfire after you're done with it. Also, he's the mascot for serial murdering truckers who travel between the pacific northwest and the areas of the country less suited for hiding corpses.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Only poo can prevent forest fires

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The ironic thing is all this time we've been fighting forest fires we've been creating bigger fires.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The ironic thing is all this time we've been fighting forest fires we've been creating bigger fires.

bigger = better

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

He is the anti-forest fire mascot. He opposes them, on account of they're bad. I don't recall if he really carries an axe, and I'm pretty sure he actually carries a shovel, because you should always smother, wet, stir, then smother again a campfire after you're done with it. Also, he's the mascot for serial murdering truckers who travel between the pacific northwest and the areas of the country less suited for hiding corpses.

uh so wait what in bush country it's cool to light fires? in the bush? if you do a safety jingle? hahaha holy poo poo this is nra bear

see here in australia we have this thing called a "total fire ban" where its wicked loving illegal to light anything anywhere. that's like our anti-bushfire mascot. it has a safety jingle, too, it's the sound of cities burning to the ground and children dying with their parents screaming in horrible agony. there's a cool publicity campaign for it too; the sky turns red and your dog dies of smoke inhalation from fires hundreds of kilometers away every couple years, it's pretty effective

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

uh so wait what in bush country it's cool to light fires? in the bush? if you do a safety jingle? hahaha holy poo poo this is nra bear

see here in australia we have this thing called a "total fire ban" where its wicked loving illegal to light anything anywhere. that's like our anti-bushfire mascot. it has a safety jingle, too, it's the sound of cities burning to the ground and children dying with their parents screaming in horrible agony. there's a cool publicity campaign for it too; the sky turns red and your dog dies of smoke inhalation from fires hundreds of kilometers away every couple years, it's pretty effective

we don't have bush, we have lush, moist pine forests in the pacific northwest (and a bunch of other places in the country) where it's acceptable to set camp fires at certain times of the year. i mean, we do have scrubland and desert, and of course we have very similar rules in those areas, but we're loving enormous. smokey the bear tells us where it's ok to set up a campfire and where it's not, and how to set up those fires safely, and most importantly how to put them out without setting half the state on fire.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
there are so many videos on the origin of smokey the bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_MjUOTQoxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idS-ryvoGxI

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

He is the anti-forest fire mascot.
Is that a fire elemental mascot (in the shape of a bear) that's against fires or a mascot that's against forest fires.

Gonzo the Eggman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 24, 2015

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I don't think the WHO gets involved in forest fires but they sure know how red meat causes cancer I guess

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My parents house almost burned down this year in a forest fire. Their neighbors house burned down and they're now getting a new house for free along with a lot of new furniture and free money people donated to them. So what I'm saying is if you have a suburban/rural home it'd behoove you to let it burn down.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

we don't have bush, we have lush, moist pine forests in the pacific northwest (and a bunch of other places in the country) where it's acceptable to set camp fires at certain times of the year. i mean, we do have scrubland and desert, and of course we have very similar rules in those areas, but we're loving enormous. smokey the bear tells us where it's ok to set up a campfire and where it's not, and how to set up those fires safely, and most importantly how to put them out without setting half the state on fire.

Or he eats you?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

*left hand drifts casually from keyboard to beneath the tarp that is my sweatpants*

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
After they invent how to produce Ice-Nine what if your house could "ice" down and turn into a permanent deathtrap for whatever living being steps inside?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What about natural forest fires that occur naturally and are a natural part of the forest regrowing itself? Is that okay? Why would we want to stop nature from being nature like?

Hammockbottom
Apr 10, 2005

It was Hamhockbottom right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

amityville anus posted:

After they invent how to produce Ice-Nine what if your house could "ice" down and turn into a permanent deathtrap for whatever living being steps inside?

It wouldn't stay localized to your house for long.

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

we don't have bush...
What do you mean you don't have bush? You've had at least two of them. They've even made it into the Whitehouse.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

gently caress id love to see that in person

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

actually i looked it up and it turns out all of america is scrubland

a land of scrubs

get it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What about natural forest fires that occur naturally and are a natural part of the forest regrowing itself? Is that okay? Why would we want to stop nature from being nature like?

The policy of suppression of natural forest fires for the past century has really damaged our forest health. It's led to a condition called fuel loading where the forest floor is ultra-dense. Now, fires burn very hot, to the tops of trees and completely destroy the soil instead of clearing the way for new growth.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

CharlesM posted:

The policy of suppression of natural forest fires for the past century has really damaged our forest health. It's led to a condition called fuel loading where the forest floor is ultra-dense. Now, fires burn very hot, to the tops of trees and completely destroy the soil instead of clearing the way for new growth.

That's more bullshit from the forest service trying to make a one size fits all policy and trying to milk more money into their already bloated fire budget, especially since that's the only extra money they can ever get. Massive inland west areas historically are all about catastrophic fire and regrowth. Basically anywhere high enough for lodgepole/fir complex to be predominant. It's a delusion to think that basically any of the high desert area stuff like forests in Montana/Idaho/Eastern WA are getting 100% kill fires just because we didn't burn enough. You want to argue about fuel loads in eastern forests or west of the Cascades, whatevs

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Gonzo the Eggman posted:

Is that a fire elemental mascot (in the shape of a bear) that's against fires or a mascot that's against forest fires.

I would pay money to see Roger Daltrey dressed as a fireman saying "Only The Who can prevent forest fires".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

That's more bullshit from the forest service trying to make a one size fits all policy and trying to milk more money into their already bloated fire budget, especially since that's the only extra money they can ever get. Massive inland west areas historically are all about catastrophic fire and regrowth. Basically anywhere high enough for lodgepole/fir complex to be predominant. It's a delusion to think that basically any of the high desert area stuff like forests in Montana/Idaho/Eastern WA are getting 100% kill fires just because we didn't burn enough. You want to argue about fuel loads in eastern forests or west of the Cascades, whatevs

I'll defer to your judgement. It's what I learned a while back.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

circ dick soleil posted:

It wouldn't stay localized to your house for long.

why's that? Ice Nine can't sublimate into a gas it stays solid unless heated real hot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

chaosbreather posted:

man can you imagine how loving wicked sick it would look like to see a major downtown core completely engulfed in fire, skyscrapers blazing away

the news can't find anyoen from the insurance agencies to give an estimate of how many hundreds of billions are going up in smoke
because they all chose to stay and die with their companies

twilight of the businessmen

oh uh anyway in america we can still have campfires when we go camping in the forest because we haven't yet become a perma-drought hellscape. although i think at least a couple of fires this year were because of dumbasses running chainsaws during high fire threat levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nosam0819 posted:

Dr. WHO is busy organising all the ugly chicks into one big fandom. He doesn't have time for lovely fires.

if he could also light the fandom on fire when he's done that would be great tia

• Locked thread