Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hello! Let's talk about some poo poo.

1) Added FactsAreUseless as a Games mod. Pretty good call on my part. Thank you.

2) Reports still the same as they have been for the past couple of years which is a good thing. The only thing I can currently bank on happening every day is Love Stole the Day reporting gangnam reference a couple of times for posts that are exactly the same as other posts in the DOTA thread. Why he continues to do this, when we clearly ignore his reports and have ignored his reports for the past year, I don't know.

3) Games saw some growth in users and guests over the past half year or so. Probably more to do with the Star Citizen drama than anything, but still a good thing.

4) It's been a couple of weeks since I've seen someone count how many new posts they see in a thread and then post in that thread to tell people how many new posts they saw. Kind of sad that it's taken 6 months to get to the point where this poo poo wasn't happening multiple times a day.

5) We survived our annual ritual where a huge new game comes out (Fallout 4) and lots of people either threadshit or get mad that someone isn't as hyped as they are or whatever other random poo poo happens every single year when a game of this magnitude comes out. Let's all pat ourselves on the back for not losing our minds.

Alright go ahead and post questions/concerns/comments or whatever and I'll try to get to them in a timely fashion. Hopefully you guys have more to say this go-around than last time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Games has been a good subforum in 2015.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's getting better, yeah.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I like the games forum and think you did a good job with it Kewpah. Good work. I don't think enough of you to spell your name correctly though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kewpuh sets the direction for the forum, but I'm also happy to talk to anyone who has things to say about Games. Feel free to PM me, as well as about thread titles, tags, etc.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm new but I like Games. The only suggestion I could possibly have would be a official RSS feed or something similar for new threads, I use an non-official one but having a official way to check new threads would be great to have more non-mega threads, since it's pretty impractical to browse the front page when it's 99% megathreads for games you don't care about.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For my part, I'd love to see some more threads that aren't for specific games, but obviously most of the discussion is going to be people talking about the games they are currently playing.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

program666 posted:

I'm new but I like Games. The only suggestion I could possibly have would be a official RSS feed or something similar for new threads, I use an non-official one but having a official way to check new threads would be great to have more non-mega threads, since it's pretty impractical to browse the front page when it's 99% megathreads for games you don't care about.

yea unfortunately there's really no feasible way currently to deal with the megathreads. my best suggestion would be to bookmark the threads that you care about and then view them and new posts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still honestly think it's kind of weird and unnecessary to have two Fallout 4 threads because at this point they're practically identical.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

I still honestly think it's kind of weird and unnecessary to have two Fallout 4 threads because at this point they're practically identical.

probably but eventually one will die off naturally and it wont be that big of a deal. this event pretty much happens every year when some new big game comes out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

All the posters in one of the threads are extremely stable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

precision posted:

Well the original thread got a little crazy for a bit, it's fine now tho. Games is good

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Kewpuh posted:

yea unfortunately there's really no feasible way currently to deal with the megathreads. my best suggestion would be to bookmark the threads that you care about and then view them and new posts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php

oh I use the bookmark function, but looking for new threads is the part of this process I simply wouldn't even try (before using http://cygnustm.net/sarss/games.rss, there are rss for the other forums but I forgot how to access), so I figure many here also won't even bother, and lots of people here never thought about it, and all these people could be new good traffic for casual threads if there was a official way to just check new threads. Having a unofficial way to do it is cool but people have to go out of their way to use it.

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

program666 posted:

oh I use the bookmark function, but looking for new threads is the part of this process I simply wouldn't even try (before using http://cygnustm.net/sarss/games.rss, there are rss for the other forums but I forgot how to access), so I figure many here also won't even bother, and lots of people here never thought about it, and all these people could be new good traffic for casual threads if there was a official way to just check new threads. Having a unofficial way to do it is cool but people have to go out of their way to use it.

i can mention it to lowtax and see what he has to say about it. i would say there are probably more pressing issues right now though but you never know.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've always thought it would be useful to have the option to sort threads by date of first post, in addition to date of latest post, so you can find the newest threads in a forum easily. No idea how much effort that'd be to implement though.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Kewpuh posted:

2) Reports still the same as they have been for the past couple of years which is a good thing. The only thing I can currently bank on happening every day is Love Stole the Day reporting gangnam reference a couple of times for posts that are exactly the same as other posts in the DOTA thread. Why he continues to do this, when we clearly ignore his reports and have ignored his reports for the past year, I don't know.

i made fun of his r/girlgamers friend recruitment post once so he tried to doxx me then moved on to this, sorry kewpuh

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

gangnam reference posted:

i made fun of his r/girlgamers friend recruitment post once so he tried to doxx me then moved on to this, sorry kewpuh

I can vouch that this is true, and it is funny but also a little hosed up

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad to finally have this explained.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That bullet point was a whole lot cooler when I thought it was one person reporting every post in the DOTA thread that made an Oppa Gangnam Style joke.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In Training posted:

That bullet point was a whole lot cooler when I thought it was one person reporting every post in the DOTA thread that made an Oppa Gangnam Style joke.

Yeah

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

In Training posted:

I think the Dota2 thread needs more of those, tbh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

In Training posted:

It can still be this if you let it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Games is a good subforum and the mods are not poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Games is a good subforum and the mods are not poo poo.

Yeah... maybe on opposite day

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Maybe then you'll be a decent human being and a good poster.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad to finally have this explained.

can i ge t a sampling of the report reasons

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mabels big day posted:

w o w !

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

mabels big day posted:

:drat:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Every time someone makes one of these posts there should be an addendum that says [made by a Games poster, posting in Games, about video games]

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I don't think I like you

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Games has improved when mods decided to ignore ridiculous reports of overly sensitive crybabies.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I for one, am looking forward to 2016 game threads.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Ekster posted:

Games has improved when mods decided to ignore ridiculous reports of overly sensitive crybabies.

It all comes down the this really. Games is a cool place where I can say dumb poo poo about dumb poo poo and I don't have to worry about some mod with a stick up his rear end coming in and ruining harmless fun on the internet. Like Kewpuh have me a 6 hour probation for spamming anime images in the Star Citizen thread when if I did that in literally any other forum I would have eaten a ban.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Games might be the most easily trolled forum outside of D&D, and if we banned everyone who made someone sad there would only be two posters left: me and the OP of the Soccer Spirits thread.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I'd say TVIV and especially CinD are more easily trollable at this point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

For my part, I'd love to see some more threads that aren't for specific games, but obviously most of the discussion is going to be people talking about the games they are currently playing.

i, too, would like to see more threads that aren't about particular games/games series'. kinda tricky to do this and not stray into PYF territory, but i'm sure a way can be found

also do the Games mods ever stray into Traditional Games and The Game Room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a problem with PYF threads.

And no, Ettin is the sole mod of TG and the Game Room.

• Locked thread