Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FormatAmerica posted:

Are you paid hourly? If so, good job dude

The only reason I willingly put in more than 40 hours a week is that I'm hourly and will get time and a half. That's only to support deployments and that process is mostly voluntary.

But as soon as I'm salaried, gently caress off with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Does something like this exist for Visual Studio/ReSharper?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ape Fist posted:

Today at a company meeting: All future development hires will be from India.

Goodie.

Jesus. I'm sorry. My most profound memory of working with developers in India at my work is having them release a screen that pulls back all ~250,000 rows in a table, and then filters it down to a few dozen results clientside.

We scaled back our "global workforce" efforts after that. Who would have thunk that when you spend 1/6 the money on a development resource, you get 1/6 the quality?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
IT decided that they would patch all of our QA servers and our internal TFS 2017 server overnight - without any kind of notification to any dev managers, developers, or devops resources.

IT didn't account for the fact that the patch would not go smoothly, and so there are many grumpy people in the office this morning as they're scrambling to fix their hosed up, no-notice patch while nobody can log into TFS or the QA environments.

Happy Thursday, everyone! :thumbsup:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When we switched to SAFe (which I'm still convinced is just waterfall disguised as agile), we had a big company-wide meeting on how to input tickets into TFS and how to progress the different types through the statuses. It actually worked, with the exception of the people who are employed at a software development company using a Microsoft stack who still somehow can't operate a computer, or Skype for Business, or Office. But those people are doomed to fail anyhow.

We implemented some pretty strict policies, though, so the workflow mostly Just Works. You can't do stupid poo poo for the sake of stupid poo poo. You have to enter dev notes into bugs, user stories must have acceptance criteria and must be vetted by a PO before entering any team's backlog, et cetera. It cut down on the "thing is broken, plz help" sort of bugs in our primary support queue.

Also, TFS and Git is actually a really nice pairing. We use TFS just for the Team Services, not TFS version control.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Also, I loved PI planning because I could see the context and effects of my work, interact with users and fellow consultants on other teams, and get loads of free gourmet quality food.

PI Planning is really great, and it's good to get everyone together and discuss. I think SAFe has provided a lot of value in that regard. But we still have fixed release dates and predefined scope for those releases, so aside from doing DSU meetings and other scrum board things, it's still not very agile.

A limitation of my POs and SMs, I agree. It's just unfortunate that they try to call it agile when the releases and everything around that process are still very waterfall-y. I would love if we switched to a true agile methodology.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh my lord, today is one of those days.

I was added to a pull request to add a new query to our GraphQL API. The developer added an entirely new schema for the query, when there is already a schema for this type of data. I left a comment on the PR saying I don't think this is necessary, and they replied: "but I'm adding a new query!"

Look, if you don't respect the schema definitions and what they represent, the architects will get mad. Sorry for following company-wide best practices.

To boot, they resolved my comment and tried to push the PR to auto-complete (we have policies in place that require PRs to have successful builds, 2 approvals and all comments are resolved). I reopened my comment, canceled the autocomplete, and they resolved my comment again and turned autocomplete on.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 13, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clanpot Shake posted:

What would happen if you just declined the PR?

Two other people had already approved it, satisfying the policy to complete it. I should suggest that if someone rejects the PR, though, the policy won't be satisfied until their vote changes.

CPColin posted:

Firable, imo.

I wish. This specific developer has given me a lot of grief over the last few weeks. We started a project to add a few data fields to an existing call to a third party API, and one of the messages I received from them was, and I wish I was kidding, "Do we have any existing code to make calls into this API? Let me know."

Yes. The service that has been integrated into our product since 2014 and one of our biggest selling points has existing code to call into their API.

I spoke with my manager and I let him know I was interested in another role that was open internally, though, so with any luck I will soon get to start working with more GraphQL, some Angular and a completely different and more competent scrum team.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 13, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Don't you just love Monday mornings when your QA and BA have had a meeting of the minds and figured out that our team's dev environment is acting flaky because the build is "older" than the build on the main QA environment?

Even though the build numbers are separate for each code branch and deployment pipeline in Azure DevOps?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I've been waiting for 10 days for the newest version of Visual Studio to be installed. They know I'm at a standstill without it. I guess they like paying me for reading forums all day.

Same but for a 3rd party dependency for our application. I installed the trial version in August and it was only good for 30 days. Now can't do any testing on the code I write since I can't build the assembly without a license exception. :shrug:

All I can do is email the licensing guy every day and say "Hey, uh, have a license for me yet?"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We use Git with Azure DevOps, so we're fine until Azure goes up in flames again.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's Git's fault for having wildly unhelpful documentation, obtuse output, and one of the least intuitive CLIs I've ever encountered.

Plus I've used like 6 different Git GUI utilities and in my experience it seems like they all do things just a little differently.

I use the VS Git tools to stage changes, but beyond that, any pushing, pulling or branching is done in the CLI, that way I know exactly what is going on. Plus, it's a lot easier to just type "git reset --hard HEAD" whenever poo poo inevitably blows up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Git is both good and bad in that it gives you a lot of tools to get yourself out of a hole, but it also gives you a lot of tools to get into that hole in the first place...

I personally have not had too many large issues, I think a lot of the issues people have at my work are self-inflicted, and I really don't have a lot of faith in my peers.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 23, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Jesus Christ. I hate the developers on my team.

There are two developers in particular who enjoy writing code with no comments and vastly inappropriate variable names. For example, you'd think an appropriate property for a FileName field matching a column named FileName in the DB would simply be named FileName, right? Nope, it's "objUsrPath" which is supposed to mean the path that the user supplied. Straightforward, right?

So this poo poo is horribly unreadable because the properties and methods aren't descriptive, and there are no comments to boot. So I refactor it, and now they're coming at me "why did you remove this flag? Why did you remove this property that only served to make your databinding go through an additional property for no reason?"

If you would just write well commented code that is clear in its function and intent, maybe I wouldn't have to refactor your magic flags and superfluous properties.

This is all made worse by a company wide policy that pull requests must have two people approve before code can be merged. Except each team has 4 developers. So these two assholes always sign off on each others stuff and make the new guy review it, but he doesn't have the knowledge to look out for this kind of stuff, so I never get an opportunity to block the pull requests before I'm knee deep in the code wondering what the gently caress is going on.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Option 1: Give him the knowledge
Option 2: He's unable to perform an effective code review, he shouldn't be signing off on pull requests

This is his first feature project, so he's learning. Not fast enough to deal with this kind of thing, though. Unfortunately, the PR process at my job is more of a checkmark than a valuable code review process.

Unless you're an idiot like me and actually care a little bit about producing a high quality product, but hey, gently caress actually reading code in code reviews, right?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Erwin posted:

Not only that, but their intent and the functionality should be enforced through unit tests. If they can't write a test to enforce something like a flag in some chunk of code then their code is not structured correctly. If it is and they didn't write some tests then too bad so sad.

Oh I haven't even bitched about our tests yet. They keep telling developers to write unit tests as part of feature work, but they never have held a training on how to write a unit test. Even worse, all of our tests are built on MS's testing libraries, but one of the dependencies for them is only distributed with Visual Studio Enterprise, and for whatever reason just over half of our devs were assigned VS Professional.

Less than half the dev team has the tools to write unit tests, and the entire dev team has no idea how to actually write a unit test, let alone an effective one. It's a joke. They're supposed to be getting us full enterprise level VS subscriptions though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh, man. There is nothing better on a Friday morning than having a coworker who previously disagreed with you about the limitations of one feature of our application having wrapped up his research on the feature and agreeing that, yes, the limitation is currently in place, and will be prohibitively time consuming to refactor, and too risky to refactor because it is core functionality.

It might be a good idea to listen when a developer who has worked on the feature many times in his 8 years at the company tries to tell you something important about the feature.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

prisoner of waffles posted:

hmm, does this earn you just the self-administered back pat and schadenfreude or will this person pay more attention to you in the future?

He probably won't, because he is a poor teammate who does not work closely with the scrum team. I don't think he has ever asked for a second pair of eyes on any code he's written until it's PR time, and he's one of the PR colluders I bitched about earlier.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's not like the core Scrum concepts are very difficult, and each company sort of has their own flavor of agile anyway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Shouldn't a good code coverage tool notice that those enums and DTOs are being tested without writing explicit tests around them?

At the same time they should be pretty simple tests to write and can easily bump up your coverage without much headache.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 12, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xarn posted:

If you have programmers who act in bad faith, just loving fire them.

Unless you work at my company where it can take weeks to hire a candidate (and the candidates usually find another position while they wait), so they don't fire any of the programmers they do have, even if they are grossly incompetent.

I have never seen such poorly formatted and clearly copy-pasted from StackOverflow style code in a production application until I worked with some of the developers on my scrum team. But beyond raising my concerns in a code review and talking to my manager about it, I can't really do anything else.

Until an eventual bug is filed in the code and I get to refactor it, of course.

In good news they gave me two 10+ percent raises this year, which makes it a lot easier to deal with the BS, since now I can afford more whiskey.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 13, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like you should get a 50% raise by going to another company that doesn't refuse to fire idiots and save the whiskey money too.

I have one of those jobs where I can spend most of my time doing a second job that's more fulfilling. So, while my actual "employment" job is a bit poo poo, it still pays 80 grand a year, has amazing insurance and 401k match, and I make $35/hour on the side for about 20 hours a week.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

So... $115k.

That's like entry level Good Tech Job, not counting RSUs.

I don't know of any entry-level positions that pay 6 digits. Every junior level position I've seen in my area pays around 55-60k.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

Can you move out of the rust belt?

No need to, I live in a city with reasonable housing costs so I don't need a 100k base salary just to be able to pay rent on a lovely 600 sq foot studio. Also I live in Colorado which has a decent tech industry and the base salary is still around 60k.

Xarn posted:

Well then, don't work there :v:

Seriously though, if I am interviewing and the company doesn't have a good answer to "do you have a CI and what are you criteria for failing a commit/merging a PR", I keep looking.

The criteria are good on paper, there are just a few poo poo devs that instead of expending effort on learning how to write good code find some ways to game the system a bit (by always approving each other's PRs, et cetera.)

I could quit and find another job that pays probably 10k more, but I lose out on some good benefits and then I'd have a real job with real daily responsibilities, and I do enjoy getting paid to bitch about my job on SA.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 13, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clanpot Shake posted:

Legal just got back to us and apparently our right-hand-only design is a violation of government accessibility regulations and they're saying we need to spin up a separate project to build a left-handed gripper. For budgetary reasons this effort will be done by our offshore team.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TheCog posted:

Talk to your manager. I told my boss "hey I think terraform is neat, can I get terraform cards?" and next thing I knew I was neck deep in terraform work.

Absolutely this. A few months ago I told my manager that I really enjoy API work and working with our GraphQL API and now I get to focus on GraphQL stuff.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We've definitely had a few candidates that flew through the interview process and and even passed the technical interview, and then sucked completely as a developer. I.E., after 5 months of working for us, were still sending out emails (to the entire development team, including managers and architecture) asking how to install our software.

It's a loving MSI. They couldn't install an MSI!

Yet he still knew quite a few C# concepts and could do FizzBuzz easily. I was shocked. But it happens, and after a few of those types of emails he went out the door pretty quick.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We track time spent in all of our tickets. We capture estimated time overall, estimated time remaining and time completed. They say it isn't used for nefarious things, but our dev manager has a serious hard-on for metrics.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have two recurring meetings on Monday and Wednesday from 11:30 to 1PM.

Me and a few other coworkers set up a recurring lunch meeting so that nobody would schedule meetings during that time... management has lunchtime meetings the other days of the week. :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One of the QA folks on my team frequently gets caught "multitasking" during meetings (i.e., not paying attention).

He keeps opening bugs for things that are explained in our various meetings and asking questions that are already answered earlier in the meeting.

It was head scratching at first, and now it's just plain annoying. We covered this! You're the only one who's confused!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rubellavator posted:

We had a guy who would actually snore in meetings with the client. It took months to fire him.

Ugh. I don't know if he needs to be fired, but something needs to change. Like, he's got the right mindset of a QA person, but the memory span of a goldfish, to the point where sometimes when he says things you can just tell that everyone is thrown back and confused why he would ask that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man, I love getting grilled by coworkers when I'm removing entire functions.

We're working on a feature to clean up a lot of tech debt, like COM code. So some portions of the application get removed as they are unused or replaced with newer managed .NET code. So why would we leave the unused classes and functions to support that in the codebase?

The function already had a comment saying "this is unused", so I confirmed it by grepping through the code and checking references. It was truly unused. Why would you want to keep that?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am working on a user story in a specific area of our application that I am familiar with.

There are two user stories left for our team to work on in this area - the one I have assigned to myself, and the other that literally states "To be determined after all other [Application Area] user stories are completed" as the first thing in the description box, bold text and everything. It's even linked as a successor story in Azure DevOps.

Guess what user story got picked up by another dev before I'm done with my user story?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How is it that people in TYOOL 2018 still can't use Outlook worth a drat, especially employees at a software development company?

It's kind of a rhetorical question, but why would you reuse a separate email thread to report a new bug ticket, only to have the two tickets inevitably get mixed up in the email thread and confusing everyone involved? The "New Email" button is only like 5 buttons to the left of "Reply All".

TGIF.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It is but I imagine the "reusing one thread to talk about something else" thing isn't unique to Outlook.

Edit: The one that gets me is when people use an email from me to open up Skype with that email as the subject line while talking about something else completely.

Thank god our company is switching to Teams by the end of next year. Skype for Business is such rear end.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dantheman650 posted:

We used Teams for a while. Good luck is all I have to say.

We haven't had any technical problems with it, but our company is one of the larger companies out there and has some pull with Microsoft, so I suspect we get the primo support.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

does teams allow for copying and pasting things that are more than 6 characters?

I've never had that issue with Skype, though in my experience it is a complete PITA to copy anything in Skype. It is about 90% less of a pain in the rear end to copy anything in Teams.

It retains all formatting and hyperlinks if pasted into Word or something though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CPColin posted:

Put all feature flags into an enum and have an expiration date field in there that a weekly cron job checks and emails the CTO when a feature flag hangs around too long.

poo poo, we basically have a lookup table of system-wide parameters that more or less enable or disable features. I should add this expiration date field. I'm already working on the big tech debt project of cleaning up COM dependencies (most of which we are finding are completely unused, dangling references) so clearly, someone needs a weekly reminder.

Maybe if I compile some kind of useless periodic data report nobody will read, then management will back this idea...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Whole bunch of bikeshedding erupted on my team today that is honestly just frustrating as poo poo.

Our QA opens up a screen and gets an error message. That's obviously not supposed to happen! A team had merged their changes into our branch a week or two ago, so he sends an email to them asking if they know what's going on.

A dev on their team pipes up and says he's looking into it. 30 minutes later, he has a code fix and wants to know where to check it in. Our process dictates that each bug must be checked in against a ticket and PR'd into the appropriate branch, so there's a small amount of setup for that to happen.

Our QA just goes "Well isn't that for your team to figure out? Your QA should know all the details about the bug." And then it explodes into these back and forth emails, and we now just got off a quick call about it, where we decided we're going to wait until the morning when the entire team is present and then we can actually discuss.

We've literally wasted half a day, with more coming, trying to figure out the correct process on how to fix the issue, when the developer could have had it checked in, PR'd and reviewed, built & deployed, and the fix QA'd in an hour, tops.

:smithicide:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The worst part about coming back from PTO is seeing a new bug assigned to you while you were gone.

Even worse is when it's about the error message returned when a workflow is configured improperly, an error message written by the BA, with approval from the PO, and with no objections from the team when reviewing the user story, copied and pasted directly into a string literal with no modifications.

I am not looking forward to having this conversation immediately after returning from a break. Even more infuriating is that our QA team members are constantly bitching about never having enough time and then they open bogus bugs like this.