Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Cockmaster posted:

The thing is, many of these people are kids who sign up in an act of mindless youthful rebellion and get out before they have the chance to personally kill anybody (often after witnessing irrefutable proof that ISIS is, in fact, every bit as evil as Western media makes them out to be).

Does this mean they should be let off the hook entirely? Not necessarily. But there is a legitimate case for possibly sparing them from the sort of heavy-handed punishment generally considered appropriate for major war criminals.

Theres mindless youthful rebellion and then theres watcing the vids isis puts out and signing up for that. Damnnnn goons will go to any lengths to have a chance at some teenage tang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

babypolis posted:

teenagers are very easy to fool. i read an article about their online tactics. these girls probably felt isolated in some way and thats how they get in. the isis dudes will spend hours and hours online chatting with you telling you all about islam and saying all the nasty stuff you hear about isis is just propaganda. gradually they will further isolate these people from their friends and family until isis is all they have and by then their whole worldview has already been changed. getting them to move halfway over the world to marry some fat 40 year old is easy peasy after that

You must have been really thick as a teenager for you to be saying this.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

we should forgive the people who sign up for drowning people in cages really slowly, nailing people onto crucifixes, partake in attempted ethnic cleansing, force 9 year old girls to blow themselves up in their town markets, own slaves etc etc because morrisey just doens't cut it any more.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

babypolis posted:

seeing as i never joined a death cult, no, not really

but it doesnt take a great understanding of human nature to see how this happens or that these girls probably werent bad people. but i guess even the most basic understanding of humanity is too much for goons

no, if you watch a vid of a group of people torturing other people and decide that you want in on that, then yes, you are a bad person. Maybe you can be brought back from it, maybe not. But at that moment, when you make the decision to be a part of that, you are a bad person.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Well, I dunno because I think that people can rationalize anything to themselves - look at Anders Breivik - he has no remorse at all and thought he was doing the right thing. That doesn't mean that society should forgive him.

you can be really dumb but i do believe there is a universal morality that we all share - killing and torture should be repulsive to anybody from any current society and no matter what you've been through (unless you're mentally undeveloped). if you join isis you have to go through a very difficult process over a long time, the intent is calculated and you are a danger to society if you return. I dont think we should kill them or anything, but we should charge them with attempted murder at the very least, and remove them from civilisation and give them mondo counselling because they are obv broken. but they are dangerous too.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

babypolis posted:

no it just makes you stupid and really gullible

thats people who believe in magic. Joining isis is a statement that you are willing to chop people's heads off so that you can belong somewhere...

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

mike12345 posted:

hmm not being as barbaric and cruel as the group we condemn? doesn't make sense

theres no attempt to engage anybody in this post, its just pure DnD style smarminess. so lame.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

hmm yes but at 14 i learned how to administer an RDBMS, these vapid cunts deserve nothing

theres no attempt to engage anybody in this post, its just pure DnD style smarminess. so lame.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

haha

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Guess your right, kill all muslims.

lol

you are destroying leftism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fat Lowtax posted:

"The regressive left" lmao you loving clownshow

Are yoj denying that this is a thing? Professors in the us are terrified of their students.

• Locked thread