Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008
To those of you who played during the free weekend, did it seem like there was a sudden prevalence of comparatively bad players that disappeared come monday or did player quality seem pretty consistent?

I was one of the free-weekend players and while there were the occasional bad players, it seemed like for the most part everyone was at the very least competent, in the sense that there was little in the way of CoD/rambo style play and people seemed to know what they were doing.

Also is matchmaking generally always as much of a hassle as it was during the weekend? It seemed like the only way we could reliably get a full group together and able to find games was for everyone to restart the game and uplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Sorry Raz!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFM6u5YSX0E

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Speaking of being a terrible noob, what is the general consensus for best operators to unlock as a beginner?

Attackers:
  • Twitch - Her special is the shock-drone, it's like the regular RC drones minus the ability to jump but it has a short-range taser which does a small amount of damage(I think 20?) to players and is capable of destroying enemy equipment.
    The shock drone is a great opportunity to learn the maps while staying relatively safe and not relegating yourself to a role that is entirely reconnaissance(though a communicative drone user can make things incredibly easy for the attackers).
    For weapons she has quite a lot of options, a shotgun, a full auto rifle, and a semi-auto rifle, the latter of which can give you some idea about whether or not you'd want to unlock someone like Glaz(a sniper) who uses a similar weapon.

• Fuze - His special is a cluster-bomb attack, it is placed on one side of a wall/door and shits a few grenades out the other side. It's a pretty situational ability, since using it on a room that your team-mates have just stormed is a good way to get a few friendly-fire kills, and using it on a room with a hostage in is a good way to bring the round to a quick loss. Despite the caution with which you need to use him, he's still a good choice to unlock early because of how devastating a well used cluster-bomb is.
    For weapons, Fuze has the option of an LMG, a full-auto rifle, and a bullet-proof shield(which is used alongside your side-arm), playing with the shield should give you an idea about whether or not you would like to play Blitz or Montagne who do not have weapon choices that forgo a shield.

• Thermite - His ability is to breach even reinforced walls, because of this he is probably the only character who would reasonably have a place in every attacking line-up. For that alone he is worth unlocking. He also stands out for being one of two Operators who can carry Frag Grenades, the other being Sledge. In terms of weapons you're looking at either full-auto rifle or shotgun.

Defenders:
  • Mute - Has the ability to put down Signal Disruptors, which prevent the use of breaching and thermite charges within their range, as well as disabling any RC drones that stumble into their range. Disruptors are a great way to leave the enemy team somewhat aimless at the start, they're good for redirecting enemy attention, to either themselves in the case of enemies coming to doors with jammers nearby(in which case they give away the enemy position when shooting at them), or away from less defensible entry-points.

• Rook - Deploys a bag of armour for people to improve their survivability with, supposedly it makes them more likely to end up merely downed rather than killed.

• Doc - Can revive downed players from a distance, and can revive himself when downed. Because of the former he serves well as a defender who hangs behind the frontline and because of the latter he's great as a solo roaming defender.

• Kapkan - Can set up laser-mines on doorways which is great when you're a beginner and playing other, less attentive/knowledgeable, beginners and has the option of a remote detonated explosive, which is effective against shield-users, though generally Smoke is probably a better shield counter since he can have the explosive as well as having remote detonated poison bombs.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I agree that being downed rather than dead is rare, but Doc also has the best means of getting someone back up if they do get downed while having the added benefit of bringing them back with 50% more health than the standard slow and risky revives that the rest of the operators are limited to.

But he still feels like a more worthwhile pick than most other defenders because of how feeble their gadgets are, Tachanka's turret has a usability issue, where you often have no good place to put it, Bandit and Kapkan's are made quite useless by simple observation(though bandit works just as well as mute for redirecting the point of attack/insertion), Pulse's heartbeat monitor has a range so short that you're better off just listening for movement.

At the moment I think the ideal defender lineup is probably Smoke, Mute, Rook, Doc, and either Castle, Bandit, or maybe Kapkan if you need another Nitro Cell because of shields.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
As it is I feel like Kapkan's mines need a buff, in terms of their visibility. A complete removal of the visible laser would be fine to me, in large part because it would encourage careful/attentive play, but also because it would make IQ and Twitch more valuable.

At the very least I think it needs to be made less visible than it already is, a very faint laser rather than the existing setup that looks like someone strapped a lightsaber to the door at ankle-height would be good, with them maybe looking as they do now only when someone throws a smoke grenade.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It's even worse over the last few days, huge influx of brand new players.

Matchmaking seems to be less about putting together a balanced team and more about just throwing together any old group of people, one game I was the only person on my team who was over level 10, the entire enemy team was 40-60

Also I'm not sure what's worse, playing with pubbies as Montagne or playing with a pubby Montagne. Having someone basically being mobile cover is great, until they get a little too mobile when you're depending on them to be cover.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IykTwod57kc

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Played some good games with goons this morning/afternoon, we were on a fuckin roll in general, even on lovely bomb layouts like weight room + garage on House.

Pubbies got dunked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxa6i12Z9w

:smugdog:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Was it you that some germans accused of hacking?

Yes it was at the end of that game that they started talking about cheating.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Seems more people have worked out how to reliably get out to the attacker spawn as defenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZAJV559EE

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I don't think they did.

Earlier today I was playing with a goon and some pubbies on the other team tried to do this to us every round but they kept loving it up, but we were on the Bar map.

The closest one got was to take some of us down to about half health but he got shot to poo poo instantly.

http://i.imgur.com/gg9y4q6.png

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
With regards to shields, this is from the infographic they put out after beta.

I imagine that Fuze could skew that heavily because of cluster grenades and I'd be interested to see what the average changes to without him included.

I'm not sure what the best way to change shields would be, the core of the problem with them is that they're too good at creating safe/minimum-risk kills, which can be broken down into two parts: shield effectiveness, and weapon effectiveness.

Shields are only slightly less effective when ADSing, while pistols are as effective as any other weapon when it comes to blowing people's brains out(with all weapons having roughly equivalent benefits to ADSing), and the times involved in changes to effectiveness are incredibly small; the improvement to accuracy from ADSing is not instant but is as good as, and so is the opportunity for opponents to react and take advantage of it.

The issue seems to stem entirely from the way ADSing works with regards to it's timing, and it seems like the way to fix shields being super effective would be to quite drastically shift back the point at which accuracy is effectively pin-point

Generally speaking, the way shield users expose themselves while ADSing seems pretty reasonable, and if you've got people wandering around for prolonged amounts of time ADSing the pros and cons seem to balance out.

However, this is not how skilled players tend to play. You'll generally only see this from those who are new, less competent, or very over-confident.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Who needs bullets when you have shield bashing.

(Speaking of which, where is the video of me bashing the hell out of the enemy team, person I forgot the name of :v: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcAZXVJYlU

We might have won but you were a little too committed to the gimmick in a pretty bad way, you should have planted and then you could have stood, stalwart, in the fireplace.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Was partying with goons post-patch once in a game there wasn't much, if any, difference compared to pre-patch, but we had more trouble than ever actually getting into games.

Fewer instances of endless matchmaking but many more instances of being stuck in a lovely purgatory screen where we get to look at smoke until we alt+f4.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

The more plausible option is to fix the locations where the limbs can go through collision in certain stances. Fixed a bunch but there is still some to go obviously.

It seems to me that a system that culls clipping parts would be best, because as it is now it seems like body parts can clip through any sufficiently thin wall, and if you're going around fixing these one surface at a time I imagine it would be both labour/time intensive while still leaving it open to reoccurring in future maps.

Also here's my UI suggestion from last night.

The UI/HUD elements as they are now can be pretty obtrusive, and while it's good that we can turn pretty much every individual part of it off, the huge downside is that there is no middleground.

The main gripe I have is that HUD elements like team-mate outlines, names, objective markers, etc, because of being drawn over everything else(as they should be) can obscure things you're trying to pay attention to. For example if you've got an enemy of a point of interest right between you and a team-mate or objective, your vision can be pretty heavily obscured.

So an additional option to have those HUD elements fade-out(not necessarily completely, but that could be an option, too) when they're near the middle of the screen would fix what I consider to be a pretty big(but mostly an edge case)downside to an otherwise serviceable HUD.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Oh another complaint I had about the UI, but a different part of it completely.

Having to back out to the main menu to change gun configurations is pretty terrible.

On those operators that have multiple equivalent weapons(two different ARs) it's not too horrible since you can have one with a suppressor and one without(for example).

Also it sort of sucks that the nicer weapon skins are locked behind r6 credits. Having a way to get those with just renown would be nice, even if the equivalent conversion was really high. Either that, or having some nice skins to unlock with renown that are more than the generic mil-camo options we currently have.

Also also, how are the shield k:d + winrates currently looking? It feels like since the tickrate got upped the chances of being "netcoded"(your own apparent hits not counting) have gone up with it being especially frequent and egregious in the case of shield users. I had a game as Tachanka just now where I was firing at the head of a Fuze, so that when he dropped his shield he should have caught a bullet with his face, but he was able to ADS headshot me without any of my connecting shots counting.

In general, trades seem to happen as often as they ever have, which I don't have any gripes with, because it seems perfectly fine and reasonable that occasionally you're going to have two people shooting at eachother land a killing shot at what is for all intents and purposes the "same time", but having shots that appear to connect be completely negated is incredibly frustrating, and when it does happen it mostly seems to involve shields.

Usually seeing something like this would mean that you had "traded", where you died but the other guy was also killed/downed, and their being downed/killed being hidden from you was just a case of the way deathcams work, where you don't see point or kill feeds during them(which I also think should be changed because that seems like where 99% of the frustration of trading probably comes from).

But then seeing that he is in fact running around, not having been at least downed, as if nothing happened(with the giant bloodsplat on the wall now gone), makes for a pretty poor, and frustrating, experience.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I did mention BF but don't have any of them installed either, and I did try to find examples of it in BF:BC/3/4 videos and turned up nothing so I almost certainly misattributed it.

I can't for the life of me think of which game it was actually in.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

Can't talk about current design of weapon modification and i'll never go into microtransaction territory. Sorry bud :)

I'm assuming talk about microtransactions is probably outside of your purview, but it would be neat if it could be voiced that something akin to the "unlock operators with renown or buy them!" is wanted by atleast some portion of the community. And it's not even wanting that explicit arrangement(a path to paid content in exchange for a bigger time investment) so much as wanting to have skins that aren't as drab and boring as the military camo as the only things we can get without dropping an extra 5bux per (good)skin.

Hard posted:

About the trades, i think patch 1.2/3 introduced a bug in the health bar from the killcam panel where it doesn't accurately represent the amount of health left. We're investigating that. It doesn't help when it shows that the guy who took a few bullets before killing you is at 100% but then again your image shows a headshot which should have killed Blitzy. I dislike tossing this in the replication/tickrate/lag bucket but that might be the case.

I'm 99% certain that most of the health display issue is a matter of people being downed, and despite the downed person shown having 0hp remaining it's an issue of them effectively having a fresh pool of health while downed(which is why it shows 100%), or when looking at how much health someone had remaining it's looking at how much health they had in the same frame/tick they scored the kill in on their client, which might be fixed by reporting how much health they had remaining during the frame/tick the killed is killed on their end.

But a couple of patches ago these have tended to be trades, which aren't a problem outside of what is communicated to players.

The cases I talked about(including the one with screencaps), which seem to be happening more frequently, seem like an entirely different matter, where we're looking at what seem like confirmed hits that turn out to not in-fact be confirmed hits at all.

Ruzihm posted:

I often find myself wishing defenders had smoke. Smoke is real good at maintaining the status quo, which is, all other things being equal, more of a benefit to the defenders.

Defenders having smoke is something I've been wondering about as well, mostly because it seems like the kind of thing that could keep kapkan traps effective beyond newbie games, and generally stall an attack so that defenders have a better chance of repositioning to gain an advantage, which seemed like it might be an interesting way to try to redress the attacker advantage(assuming the winrate disparity is as bad as it was in beta).

Hard posted:

Since were on the subject of shield users raking headshots with pinpoint accuracy without even being in full ADS.. well, enjoy it while it lasts.

Is this going to be a case of longer ADS time? Because frankly that's all it seems like would be necessary.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Hard posted:

Ah really? I didn't even knew about Oregon and Consulate. Hell i don't even know whether the cam in Club House's bar is fixed or not since QA wasn't able to repro it. I'll look into it.

Not sure if this is of any help, but I've seen the player who appears to be using the camera start using a drone and then they've not been occupying the camera control slot anymore.

So is it perhaps something in the way the gadgets for viewing cameras and drones are the same thing? With whether you're looking at attacker drones or defender cameras handled in the logic of the one gadget everyone has, which might be fixed by having a separate gadget for attackers and defenders?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
WITNESS MY SHAME

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
If you're on win10 it has a built in thing which I've been using and is pretty ok, OBS is pretty good, too.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

automaticswim posted:

Spotted the scrub. IQ kicks rear end and I run as her more often than not, now.

I take that to mean you've bowed out of bigboy games and have retreated into T-hunt? :smugdog:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Legends tell of an elusive cadre of goons who play ranked but use Discord instead of mumble, nobody knows if they even really exist!

You could always just ask the dudes that are around if they feel like playing ranked though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It's nonsense.

It's most likely the case that they just opted to throw some colour into the icons for the sake of players more easily differentiating between them, and grouping operators via their CTU seemed like the best/most reasonable way of doing things(I can't think of a better way, at least).

Not needing/wanting two of the same colour type is pretty dumb as well, since doc and rook each work better with the other on the team.

And you don't even things like abilities that more directly play off eachother in order to have a good team composition.

Jager and Bandit are a very good defensive combination, Jager can cover Fuze and Ash specials, while Bandit can either cut down Thermite's entry options or make things real lovely for their drones.

A good team lineup is based on what each operator can actually contribute in any given situation, the only exception is Thermite who is good all the time.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dead Like Rev posted:

Channel rename on mumble coming to accommodate division beta folks this weekend (since its been asked) Any suggestions? Tom Clancy's Fun Haus

Aren't R6S players meant to get invites to The Division? If so, any idea when those go out?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Ey Hard, any chance of looking into the mic volume bug?

Windows mic volume gets set to whatever the mic record setting is at ingame.

It seems to happen when the game is initializing party voip stuff, like when you first get put in a party after getting online, or if you quit out of a game and get thrown back into a fresh single-person party.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Talkc posted:

Wait. So you can buy characters and skins with in game currency?

Thats pretty awesome.

The default 20 operators are unlocked with the earned currency - "renown". It takes 20,000 to unlock all the dudes.
The post-release operators are unlocked with either the earned currency(initially 25,000 per man, people are saying it's now 22,500 but I haven't seen a source), the microtransaction currency(R6 credits, approx $5 worth), or by owning the season pass, the latter of which also gives access to them a week early.

ItheWelp87 posted:

Yeah I don't know what this guy is talking about. I'm a filthy casual and this is the first game in years that's held my attention for more than a couple weeks.

That being said, 22K per operator unlock for this upcoming content pack seems a bit steep. Maybe to the order of 2x what it should be...

If you're playing an hour or two a night until it comes out you'll probably have enough for both new dudes.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
2nd of Feb, non season pass owners get it on the 9th

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Would anyone be interested in a pretty big writeup of all the operators and what they're good and bad at, when to pick or not pick them?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

It seems to me like Thatcher + IQ is a pretty viable combination, and would give both characters pretty solid uses...if people actually used nitro cells and Smoke gas as area denial instead of extra grenades.

The problem with them as area denial is that because of the basics of how those weapons work, they aren't really viable as anything but fancy grenades.

Nitros give away their presence by way of sound, meaning they're not viable as a proper trap because there is no surprise if they're used that way, and the sound makes them very easy to find and deal to such an extent that can't be effective area denial.

Smoke's gas works a lot better for proper area denial, but because these things work by way of alternating between deploying a gadget and activating the last deployed gadget, Smoke can't just run around and setup multiple gas bombs and then detonate them individually or all at once, and so there is no incentive to pre-emptively leave gas lying around that IQ or Thatcher could deal with, in part because it would be leaving poo poo around that is vulnerable to IQ/Thatcher.

Whether they're used as defacto grenades or not doesn't really matter, Thatcher remains a good pick and IQ remains a bad one.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Duggler posted:

When will this meme end

When IQ gets a gadget worth a poo poo :v:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Will the enemy see the same smoke you do? Are you in the periphery and so just silhouetted against it? You have no way to know!

The way smoke functions is incredibly poorly handled.

If you're really close to the smoke, but not inside it, you can see about halfway into the smoke cloud just fine, if you get inside it you can't see past your own gun, if you're further away you can't see inside

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

iq makes up for it by having the best guns on the attacking team.

Sorry but "best guns" status is held by Fuze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnLX2cwF44k

:dukedog:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Copper For Lyfe posted:

I've run into a couple of really dodgy seeming players lately. People with clearance levels 130+ and ranked w/l ratios of 6+. How does someone win 6/7 or 85% of their games?. (im lvl 75 and my w/l ratio in casual is 1.77 with 82 hours played according to the ubi website)
This is either cheaters, someone who managed to win 6/7 games and then decided to never play ranked again lest they ruin their super sweet win ratio, or someone who only plays ranked with a full team of 5 good players.

Copper For Lyfe posted:

This person i just had on my team was getting c4 multi kills every time on defence, and my friend i was playing with was watching their perspective with them shooting people through walls with no way of knowing anyone was there.

This seems more like someone using wallhacks.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It's a case of knowing where and when to look.

Some cameras you can see people spawning in, others you can hear them, so you should be able to work out roughly where the attackers have spawned and if you've positioned yourself right(mostly luck on most maps) you might be able to be a huge dickhead and score early kills.

If you look at that last video I posted, you can see the same guy trying to do that sort of poo poo twice, and it works for him the first time, but the thing to note is that most vantage points are only really good for a single spawn point, and often enough only if they move through certain areas.

Like the watch-tower on Oregon lets you shoot at the guys that spawn in the south-east, but only if they move north/counter-clockwise enough around the house, and from the other side of the tower it lets you shoot at the guys who spawn south-west, but only if they move clock-wise around the house.

The biggest offenders of lovely spawn areas that really do seem to need fixing would have to be the north-east "sewer"-spawn on bank, south-west "police-line"-spawn on consulate, and both of the northern entrances on plane.

The first two it's very easy for people to just poke their heads out of windows and shoot at the attackers within a second of their starting to move, and on plane it's the same thing with the minor extra step of having to step outside with the benefit of having a good vantage-point.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
First round with goons after new operators, goons manage to land on every welcome mat within 30 seconds of the round starting. :smithicide:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Yes, 3 seems to be the magic number for gadgets.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Hey, Hard, please do your best to convince people at work that people who don't have the season pass should be able to pay double the renown cost to unlock them at the same time as season pass owners, I would happily pay double, or even triple the cost.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

We already have to pay double the price of everybody else, we just get to wait another week to do it :v:

Not sure what you mean by this, but what I'm saying is that instead of 25k next week I'm willing to pay 50k now. Pass owners don't pay any renown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I think the last patch seriously broke something about headshots.

Note the time there on the death replay, this wasn't the usual case of trades going awry, where one person's shots get invalidated by the netcode when they die.

This was someone eating a headshot(pic 3), and then later eating another headshot(pic4) in what should have been a trade, the game showed him as having full health, and I even asked the guy how much health he actually had left in case the "killed by" screen was just being it's usual jankety self, he confirmed that he was still at full health.

And in this case I get what are very obviously headshots that again don't seem to actually kill or even down the guy.

Another headshot that doesn't seem to count.

• Locked thread