Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Do not, my friends, become addicted to presents. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

For those that are late -

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, where Rhyno has sex, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max fan fiction, cycling, pets.... just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people.

Also while you are chatting, why not take part on the AI Sheep Game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753450

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Brand new winter tires make me feel like a combustion-powered gecko.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
POSTIN FROM THE PAST WHATUP

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

On my way now to buy a 40" 4k monitor for $699 CAD from best buy. Can't remember what graphic card I have in my computer but I'm pretty sure it has a display port output so crossing my fingers it'll work. If not I get to look at deals on graphic cards :toot:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
If it doesn't have DP then it will have HDMI, and what kinda crunk-rear end monitor doesn't have HDMI in?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

If it doesn't have DP then it will have HDMI, and what kinda crunk-rear end monitor doesn't have HDMI in?

I've seen a lot that only have VGA/DVI In. (and some flat panels that still only do VGA which is :psyduck: )

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've never had a monitor that had HDMI in. Maybe the future is out there, somewhere.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go back to wrenching on my 23 year old economy car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

I don't think either of my Dell ultrasharps have hdmi.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

mariooncrack posted:

My u2711 does, which was nice when I had an xbox. I figured every monitor would.

Not sure how well HDMI handles 4k though. VGA only is just :psyduck:

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mariooncrack posted:

They most definitely do.

My u2711 does, which was nice when I had an xbox. I figured every monitor would.

VGA can only handle a maximum of 1080p. HDMI in its current spec can only handle 4k at 30Hz. What you need is DisplayPort, which has more bandwidth.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

HDMI 2.0 can do 4k 60Hz, I think 1.4 is limited to 30Hz. This monitor has the older HDMI standard so only the display port input will work at 4k 60Hz.

Just got home with it and can't wait to set it up !!

E: there are display port to dvi adapters, I wonder if the other way could work too?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

....most monitors don't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I didn't post it in the November thread (because it's still 1hr 52m until December, dammit) - glad to see fjelltorsk is back.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This webpage is from the future! WHOOOAAAA! Crazy Australians. If I had one of you guys for my Santee, I'd send you a box of snow and really show you what-for.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This webpage is from the future! WHOOOAAAA! Crazy Australians. If I had one of you guys for my Santee, I'd send you a box of snow and really show you what-for.

A local guy here sold snow last year online and people actually bought it. He made a killing because Mass got like 70 billion feet of snow

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

....most monitors don't.

Well then most monitors be crunk-rear end.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Heard through the family grapevine that my pops is getting me a bike for Christmas. Despite feeling like I'm 10 typing that sentence (:v:) I am beyond excited. Can't wait to join the AI bike crew and Strava some slow rear end rides

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry you live in the past (both time and culturally)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Welcome to Texas. Please set your watches back 50 years

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fixed the vibration in the Focus with the new engine mount, and now it's leaking water in hilariously high volumes into the interior.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why not just use a TV for a monitor then?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

stevobob posted:

Brand new winter tires make me feel like a combustion-powered gecko.

Came to post this - after holding onto my summers for too long and spending two weeks afraid to drive, a fresh set of Blizzak WS80's all around feels great on the FiST.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

leica posted:

Tv's use a compression method for the color information that results in text rendering in a blurry way. Not a lot of tv's support the uncompressed format, while all monitors should.

If you have a tv that supports it, there's still some other criteria you have to evaluate before deciding if it'll be good for monitor use, but I believe that's the major issue stopping you from just using any tv as a monitor.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Any dealership goons in here? I'm in accounting at a Toyota stealership, and today was the first day of our switch of Dealer Management Systems. We went from Reynolds and Reynolds (which for some reason I love, and know like the back of my hand) to DealerTrack. I hate DealerTrack. It sucks and it's bad. I stayed at work from 8AM to 9PM on Friday night to make sure I was a day ahead accounting wise and now I'm....two days behind. Repair orders from Saturday are still not recreated and completed (our Reynolds and Reynolds went down Friday night at 9PM and DealerTrack didn't go live until today, so all business from Saturday was to be recreated in DealerTrack). From what I've heard, nothing is set up right even though they've been "working" on our conversion for a month now. This morning they realized that oil was only pulling from parts onto the repair orders in bulk quantities, all of our F&I forms were hosed, and they're still trying to figure out some weird Wisconsin-only lease-return tax shenanigans. And all of the training/set-up people are smug as poo poo, until we ask them legitimate questions and their faces just glaze over.

Today sucked, and tomorrow is going to loving suuuuuck. Probably Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday as well.

Also one of the dickhead trainers decided to take it upon himself, with no permission from the project manager or without consulting me, to hijack my personal printer in my office so now all of the accounting copies from all 11 Service Advisors print out on my printer. poo poo's constantly spewing paper out now, and whenever I need to print something I have to sift through 30 copies of poo poo to find it. Not to mention a low paper capacity. I ain't restocking that thing with paper every 10 minutes.

:suicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Tv's use a compression method for the color information that results in text rendering in a blurry way. Not a lot of tv's support the uncompressed format, while all monitors should.

If you have a tv that supports it, there's still some other criteria you have to evaluate before deciding if it'll be good for monitor use, but I believe that's the major issue stopping you from just using any tv as a monitor.

Well that's kind of a bummer, I was thinking about using a TV for a monitor via HDMI :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

leica posted:

Well that's kind of a bummer, I was thinking about using a TV for a monitor via HDMI :(

I bought a 32" LG ages ago because at the time it was really the only 1080p 32" around. it turns out it's also 4:4:4 chroma and works perfectly as a computer monitor.

It's not a spec they advertise, and with the bajillions of model numbers out there, it's hard to even research.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I use a 32" 720p TV as a monitor :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where my computer sits is the perfect spot for another TV with a cable outlet being right there, so I figured I'd just use a TV for double duty. And beside surfing the internet I use my computer for mostly watching videos and viewing pictures and poo poo, so I guess I could just research the best TVs for computer use and go from there. It's not like I'm writing code or anything.

[e] Or I suppose I could use my 200lb Sony Wega Trinitron CRT :black101:

I don't think that would mount to the wall very well though

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 1, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do not, my friends, become addicted to presents. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ground floor

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to Steam Sales. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absense.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So sick. Caught a terrible cold. I was up till 6:30am with stomach cramps/head cold symptoms. Woke up at 4pm.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to Steam Sales. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absense.

I had a Kerbal Space Program! And it was perfect! Perfect in every way!

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
My Mazda MX6 got stolen last week (recovered but being written off by insurance) and now less than a month before Xmas I have to try and find a new set of wheels. Theres nothing I like.

On the bright side im looking forward to buying my AI:SS gifts.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had a Kerbal Space Program! And it was perfect! Perfect in every way!

Would you say that your launch was unfortunately... aborted?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I got a new wingmirror for the Volvo today and the guy at the dealer parts desk was also a massive nerd (complimented my Destiny shirt) and we landed up shooting the poo poo for like 15 mins and he gave me trade price

Sometimes it's good to be a sperg.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

literally a fish posted:

I got a new wingmirror for the Volvo today and the guy at the dealer parts desk was also a massive nerd (complimented my Destiny shirt) and we landed up shooting the poo poo for like 15 mins and he gave me trade price

Sometimes it's good to be a sperg.

Yeah exactly

Like for some reason other people with plugs get all excited when they see me and want to talk about it, then get all wide eyed when they find out i was pierced at 10mm/00G.

Girl at the grocery store today gave me her discount after I talked to her for a few minutes about how to make sure a stretch heals properly, it was pretty cool

Basically be cool to spergs of any variety and they'll hook you up :3:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Added to the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

leica posted:

I use my monitor as a TV :colbert:

• Locked thread