Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't know what I like most about this game; the great gameplay, the vibrant and detailed graphics or the phenomenal soundtrack. I just picked it up the other day and I'm having such a blast going through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh yeah, Nintendo's digital holiday sale's still going on in NA territories so this game's currently $35 on the eShop for the next few days!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is it possible to show what happens when you collect the puzzle pieces for one stage?

Basically, you just get some concept art in the gallery. It's nothing super special.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

What? I knew the subtitle, but it apparently has taken 20 years to get the pun.

It's even worse if you misread the subtitle for years like I did. I could've sworn it was "Diddy Kong's Quest" for years until I looked at it again like 2-3 weeks ago.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's somewhere around here. :v: Spoilered in case anyone still wants to look on their own.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I was lucky enough to have DKC2 when I was a kid. Man that's one of my favorite platformers. I managed to play the original DKC and wasn't too impressed by it. DKC2 just did so much better. Wasn't really feeling DK3 though. Not sure why, but Kiddy Kong not being as fun to use as Diddy might have been one of the reasons.

Looking forward to seeing how Tropical Freeze compares to DKC2. Although that first boss looked less than favorable. Looks like there was too much waiting around and might have went on for a bit too long. Hopefully the actual levels are good.

That's what you bring Cranky for. :v: I'm pretty sure he can pogo right through the seal/otter's invulnerability phases and make things go by much faster. At the very least, he can pogo through the spinies and take them off the playing field.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm starting to wonder if it was inspired by Dixie's hair twirl from DKC2.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I gotta say, that section towards the end of the minecart level where you're jumping off of rails that are rising up from the bottom of the screen is a lot harder than it looks! I probably burned at least 5 lives because I jumped a split second too early.

Major_JF posted:

What does that yellow bar in the upper left near your health indicate?

That's the Kong Pow meter. Get 100 bananas (I think) and then press L and R together to turn all enemies on screen into either lives, hearts or banana coins, depending on your partner.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I have a question of my own: why didn't you get the alternate exit in the second level? There's still a level dot that hasn't been lit.

Because there wasn't one. It'll make sense next week, I swear.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DKC GBC also lifted a few, if not all, of its songs from DK Land, including the kickass GB version of Jungle Hijinx/Jungle Japes/DK Island Swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCmw1Lc06a4

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wing Ding is probably my favorite song in the game now that I've played through and I really wish I noticed during recording that the song actually changes when you're sliding on vines as opposed to regular platforming. I also take back what I said about having a bad time playing Bopopolis, that level, along with all of TF's K levels, is an absolute blast to play. They just feel so good in motion once you've got a hang of what you're doing. Speedruns are also a joy to watch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pop quiz: which developer had proven themselves to Nintendo that they were a very capable studio worthy of entrusting their beloved properties to and got the go ahead to make a Donkey Kong game? Here's a hint, their name starts with an "R."

If you answered "Rare," then you're right, but that's not the answer I was looking for. Retro Studios took on the challenge of making a Donkey Kong game after their wildly successful Metroid revival and this game, Donkey Kong Country Returns is widely considered the start of a successful DKC revival as well. Featuring a return to 2D platforming across 8 very imaginatively named worlds, DKCR set itself apart from its predecessors by putting more focus on great set pieces in the levels that just was not possible on SNES. That said, it's also incredibly similar to DKC1, to the point where I'd consider it a modern re-imagining of DKC1. It's a perfectly competent and fun platformer, it's just not very ambitious.

To really appreciate what makes Tropical Freeze even better, Artix, myself, and assorted guest commentators will take a look at this game on the side, to show off the bar that Retro set themselves.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 25, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I can guarantee that there'd be much more complaining about that if we did this live.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That'd be this tweet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Now that DK's been captured as a war criminal, I feel this is appropriate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

So out of interest: How many people have not spotted the pun in DKC2's title in the 20+ years it has been out?

I didn't get it until last month. :smith:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gonna be honest, I had a lot of trouble finishing Rickety Rafters my first time because I play with the d-pad controls, which have the grab and run buttons mapped to the same button (X and Y), and I basically have it hard wired into me to always hold down the run button, so I'd always latch on to the vine at the end. :argh:

I disagree with 4-K being bad, 4-K is a lot of fun, but then, the K levels in this game are infinitely more fun if you're trying to go fast and figure out what platforms you can and can't skip. As an example, here's the 3-K speedrun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkAvNsM-Uo

Also the ninja viking baboons are a lot of fun and you can actually make the fight go even faster if you roll into them while they're on the ground with their heads up, which knocks them over and lets you jump on them. You can also pogo them while they're swinging with the hammers if you have Cranky. These guys are such a fun fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've never actually game overed in either DKCR or TF, what actually happens, you get kicked out of the level you're in and have to redo it from the beginning with 5 lives? If that's all, then there's really no reason to keep lives around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's basically a different song, which is what happens when you take a slow, ambient and relaxing song and translate it into something more bombastic and suited for a fighting game. I like it, but it really kinda misses the mark on Stickerbrush Symphony's feel.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

At least you only have to do one of the rocket barrels. If you really don't like rocket barrel levels and you're playing through, I highly recommend buying the key from Cranky and going for Mole Patrol instead of Creepy Cavern because that bat is a lot more stressful than the moles.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's back for anyone who wanted to watch.

Lost World 2

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Can I just ask, what the hell is this "Great Ape Wars" thing in the thread title yall keep mentioning in the videos?

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Ape_War

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Only got one sentence in and

what the gently caress :psyduck:

If you think that's weird, you should try to look up the poo poo people wrote about DK Jr. :psyboom:

Not sure it's on the wiki, you might have to dig around GameTheory videos or w/e.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You may have noticed that there was no DKC2 yesterday and that is because Artix doesn't have any time at all this week to work on it, so we're bumping DKCR up a day early to compensate. As an aside, this is apparently the CJacobs week because he's guesting in DKCR this week as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I forgot to post these but since it came up in the DKCR videos, here are some pre-release DK64 screen shots.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That information is highly classified, as it is DK's biggest war crime and not safe for public consumption. :colbert:

it's a failed project that never saw the light of day

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Looper posted:

music madness is so goooood

also ChaosArgate please don't take this the wrong way but your deaths are always really funny

I'm glad someone appreciates them. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Are we gonna see more legitimate deaths in Volcano, or will they continue to be deaths like the ones in Factory? Hopefully both. There is one level in World 8 that I lost a whole lot of lives to.

I recorded World 8 blind, so little of column A, column B, I guess?

Bruceski posted:

It's an easy one to cheat; you pick each box up and see which one weighs a few hundred pounds.

No need to pick any up, just look for the one at the center of the collapsed shelf of cereal boxes!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That giant bat got what it deserved. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The tracking isn't too bad but the G of that level's in that section, which makes it a bit of a pain to get to. :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Those spinies have a pretty generous grace period for pounding them off climbable surfaces. There's also a really silly way of clearing that screen without much hassle.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kemix posted:

That second one. WHAT.

I found that one out by watching the AGDQ run of Tropical Freeze. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And we're done! Thanks all for watching my muddling through DKCR and there should be something else coming up soonish to take over my Friday block so look forward to that!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If I had a 3DS capture device and DKCR3D, I'd have shown off the 3DS exclusive World 9, which probably has those concepts, but actually fleshed out.

• Locked thread