Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Previous thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749528

*HELP SANCTION MMA IN NEW YORK http://www.mmafacts.com

We've probably had 3 belts on the line before in one month, but I can't remember them all being this good fights. Also Frankie vs Chad Money headlining a respectable TUF finale card? Count me loving in.

Important champions -

Heavyweight Champion Fabricio Werdum

Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier

Middleweight Champion Chris "The All-American" Weidman

Welterweight Champion "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler

Lightweight Champion Rafael dos Anjos

Featherweight Champion Jose "Scarface" Aldo

Interim Feather Champion "Notorious" Conor Mcgregor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeStR_RZFWI
Bantamweight Champion TJ Dillashaw

Flyweight Champion Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson

Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly "The Preacher's Daughter" Holm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340-RufLNTo
Women's Strawweight Champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk

Upcoming Events:
UFC Fight Night - December 10
TUF 22 Finale - December 11
UFC 194 - December 12
UFC on FOX - December 19

Credible news sources:
http://www.mmabuzzsaw.com/
http://www.mmajunkie.com
http://www.fightopinion.com
http://www.mmapayout.com
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com
Yahoo! Sports MMA
http://www.mmaweekly.com
http://www.mmamania.com
http://www.mmarated.com
http://www.cagepotato.com/
http://www.f4wonline.com/

Other news:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.bloodyelbow.com

Other:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com
MMA IRC chat room at #mma on SynIRC.net
Welcome to MMA, here's the history of the sport
Comparison of MMA betting lines
Understanding Sports Betting

mewse posted:

If MMA can land a proper new york venue I will eat a hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Whomever taught Joanna how to make vines recently deserves all our love.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Trast posted:

115 really lucked out with her as champion. Otherwise Carla would have killed it before it happened.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly "The Preacher's Daughter" Holm

This is so weird. But it's also nice to finally know Holm's pretty sick nickname.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, and that's a fine reason for the UFC to not mandate it at the time, but there's a difference between not mandating it and saying "no comment", and saying that your champ is making himself look stupid by trying to get more stringent testing.

Yeah so maybe just say this instead of reaching for reasons to dislike him based on completely reasonable things he did two years ago

Read this and remember how stupid the whole situation was in 2013, with Kizer, and people did not even know what WADA or VADA was. It was completely stupid how no one knew anything about anything. In hindsight, it's pretty amazing how far we've come I think but a large part of that might just be Kizer being gone. Anyway, maybe Dana should've come out and said "His heart is in the right place but this is turning into something stupid" instead of "It makes them both look stupid" but who cares.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Read this and remember how stupid the whole situation was in 2013, with Kizer, and people did not even know what WADA or VADA was. It was completely stupid how no one knew anything about anything.

Who were "people" who didn't know what WADA or VADA were because I knew and so did anybody else that was actually paying attention. GSP went with VADA for a voluntary testing, Hendricks claimed that he didn't trust VADA and would prefer WADA and therefore... didn't go with any testing at all. The UFC threw their hands up and said everybody was an idiot, and then three months later announced they were doing all the testing GSP wanted to do. GSP is not the guy who looks bad here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
GSP never looks bad. He is a very handsome man, as evidenced by the Hollywood film "Captain America - The Winter Soldier"

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Who were "people" who didn't know what WADA or VADA were because I knew and so did anybody else that was actually paying attention. GSP went with VADA for a voluntary testing, Hendricks claimed that he didn't trust VADA and would prefer WADA and therefore... didn't go with any testing at all. The UFC threw their hands up and said everybody was an idiot, and then three months later announced they were doing all the testing GSP wanted to do. GSP is not the guy who looks bad here.

His crew didn't know what WADA was or what it's testing was like and then Kizer rage quit the whole thing because he can't be hosed to return phone calls.

quote:

The two sides split on who would pay for the testing. St-Pierre’s camp expressed a preference to use VADA, which they said had agreed to partially pay for costs, according to Kizer. But Hendricks’ camp balked at the idea of their opponent partnering with a drug testing body that was supposed to be independent, and they favored the WADA program.

When informed of the WADA program’s cost, St-Pierre’s camp said they preferred to use VADA.

“I made it quite clear that if you guys want to do additional testing on your own, that’s fine,” Kizer said. “But if you’re serious about it and you’re not looking to hire someone yourself to do it, I said, ‘This is how you do it. We’re happy to help you help us, but that’s a decision you need to make because you need to fund it.'”

Kizer, however, also was concerned when St-Pierre’s reps asked questions about the list of substances the WADA program tests for, in addition to when the drug tests would be conducted and who would conduct them.

“They were asking, ‘Well, what do you test for?’ My answer is always the same: We test for prohibited substances as listed on the WADA list,” Kizer said. “(They said), ‘Well, what does that mean? Does that mean HGH, does that mean this, does that mean that?’ Yes, it means it all. The answer then should have been, ‘OK.'”

After more discussion, St-Pierre’s rep, whom Kizer identified as the fighter’s lawyer, Rodolphe Beaulieu, stood firm on using VADA.

“OK, fine, use VADA,” Kizer said of his response. “That’s not the question. The question is do you want to do outside testing through the athletic commission? And basically, they said we want to know all the tests you do so Georges’ medical advisors can vet the test first before we decide.

“I said, ‘I will take that as a no. We will let you know if we’re going to do any testing on our own. Goodbye.'”

Kizer said Beaulieu then tried to backtrack by saying St-Pierre wasn’t opposed to the WADA program.

“The guy actually had the gall – this Rodolphe guy – (to say), ‘Well, no, that’s not what we meant. We’re happy to do it once we get this additional information, but I’m going to be done for the next seven days, and I’m unavailable via cell phone or email.’ It’s like, whatever dude. It was so ridiculous. But I don’t hold any of that against Georges St-Pierre. As far as I know, he doesn’t even know about these things.”

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Read this and remember how stupid the whole situation was in 2013, with Kizer, and people did not even know what WADA or VADA was. It was completely stupid how no one knew anything about anything. In hindsight, it's pretty amazing how far we've come I think but a large part of that might just be Kizer being gone. Anyway, maybe Dana should've come out and said "His heart is in the right place but this is turning into something stupid" instead of "It makes them both look stupid" but who cares.

You're probably right that Kizer was the biggest problem in that situation. All the attempted quotes to make GSP look bad/suspicious came from Kizer or Hendricks's team and if you read between the lines it's actually Kizer being inept and lazy on his points. Everything GSP's team did there is what they should be doing. Saying they are being suspicious there is like saying someone asking to have their lawyer see the paperwork before signing is being suspicious instead of just 'moving it forward'.

1) VADA is suspicious because they partnered with GSP
It's the opposite. They are showing legitimacy by partnering with professional athletes looking to help clean up the sport and endorsements like that will get the program momentum. Just like any intermediary trying to offer a service/product, you do sponsorships/endorsements to gather more buy-in. Yes, that also means that GSP will favor VADA over any other one that isn't free for him. That's not suspicious; that's common sense. Besides, he was going to pay for Hendricks tests anyway so Hendricks was the one getting a free testing in that scenario. WADA was money out of both guys' pockets.

2) GSP's team was being difficult asking for WADA's list of banned substances and testing procedures
Kizer had no idea what the banned substances are or the procedures and instead of admitting he doesn't know and doing some loving work to get that sorted out (eg. "we can direct you to the right people" or "we can email you details at a later time") he doesn't do anything to help. Asking for the list of banned substances is obviously important for professional athletes and how/when tests could be conducted. As an extreme example, that could be the difference between taking cold medicine or not taking cold medicine during camp. GSP already knows/approved the testing methods and substance list of VADA so he needs to know if WADA is better or worse before shelving VADA for it. Kizer has no reason to not provide details of a program they endorse when asked for it. He's a lazy poo poo.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Kurohashi posted:

You're probably right that Kizer was the biggest problem in that situation. All the attempted quotes to make GSP look bad/suspicious came from Kizer or Hendricks's team and if you read between the lines it's actually Kizer being inept and lazy on his points. Everything GSP's team did there is what they should be doing. Saying they are being suspicious there is like saying someone asking to have their lawyer see the paperwork before signing is being suspicious instead of just 'moving it forward'.

It's the opposite. They are showing legitimacy by partnering with professional athletes looking to help clean up the sport and endorsements like that will get the program momentum. Just like any intermediary trying to offer a service/product, you do sponsorships/endorsements to gather more buy-in. Yes, that also means that GSP will favor VADA over any other one that isn't free for him. That's not suspicious; that's common sense. Besides, he was going to pay for Hendricks tests anyway so Hendricks was the one getting a free testing in that scenario. WADA was money out of both guys' pockets.

2) GSP's team was being difficult asking for WADA's list of banned substances and testing procedures
Kizer had no idea what the banned substances are or the procedures and instead of admitting he doesn't know and doing some loving work to get that sorted out (eg. "we can direct you to the right people" or "we can email you details at a later time") he doesn't do anything to help. Asking for the list of banned substances is obviously important for professional athletes and how/when tests could be conducted. As an extreme example, that could be the difference between taking cold medicine or not taking cold medicine during camp. GSP already knows/approved the testing methods and substance list of VADA so he needs to know if WADA is better or worse before shelving VADA for it. Kizer has no reason to not provide details of a program they endorse when asked for it. He's a lazy poo poo.

I will concede whatever if we can just blame this whole thing on Kizer and enter it into the official PSP canon, along with Fedor being a racist and Rich Franklin going out on thrilling win over Wanderlei

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Trast posted:

At first I was ready to be mad at the omission of JJ from the OP, then I saw the link.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kurohashi posted:

The whole situation was representatives of two fighters being retards in dealing with a third retard. It was just a merry go round of bullshit that dominated the mma media for a few weeks. GSP got what he wanted anyway, it just happened to be after he (reasonably) called it quits.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
“OK, fine, use VADA,” Kizer said of his response. “That’s not the question. The question is do you want to do outside testing through the athletic commission? And basically, they said we want to know all the tests you do so Georges’ medical advisors can vet the test first before we decide.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

would like to know more about this

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
GSP got what he wanted in the sense that he successfully gave up millions of dollars because he's afraid to fight. In another, different sense, he's a coward.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Lid posted:

That's just a regular sized piece of meat

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hendricks beat the fear into GSP and retired him

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I still can't believe Jose F'ing Aldo is the underdog.

I got in with $200 when he was +150, the odds have since tightened a bit, but he's still +130. Yes, he CAN lose, Conor has a deadly left, but loving christ, this is scarface we're talking about, why do people think he is more likely to lose?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lid posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamon_iberico

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

GSP got what he wanted in the sense that he successfully gave up millions of dollars because he's afraid to fight. In another, different sense, he's a coward.

Keven is doing a really good job on creating his own awards category, "Best Poster With The Stupidest Opinions"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

niethan posted:

That's just a regular sized piece of meat

drat

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
@The goon tooking for technical fights: Shogun/Machida I

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Korean Zombie vs Poirier, Cub Swanson vs Dennis Siver (personal underrated favorite), Aldo vs Mendes 2, Lawler vs Hendricks 1 are my recommendations. Most of these have probably been named already.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

Keven is doing a really good job on creating his own awards category, "Best Poster With The Stupidest Opinions"

i unironically agree with ~15% of the things he posts and that's probably way too high but it's easier to just look at it as art instead of opinions held by a real person

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
who, or what, is work friend keven?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Keven makes me smile. Thank you, Keven.

Keven.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

I still can't believe Jose F'ing Aldo is the underdog.

I got in with $200 when he was +150, the odds have since tightened a bit, but he's still +130. Yes, he CAN lose, Conor has a deadly left, but loving christ, this is scarface we're talking about, why do people think he is more likely to lose?

i'm picking Mr Aldo , but i'm not putting any money on him. :P

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

i'm picking Mr Aldo , but i'm not putting any money on him. :P

I am, he hasn't lost a fight in over 10 God drat years, and he has a clear, logical, safe path to victory, (destroy Conor's lead leg with that leg kick he's so great at, then obliterate Conor when he can't move properly)

If Aldo just waded in for a stand-up boxing match from the beginning then I'd be worried, but he's smarter than that

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

If Aldo just waded in for a stand-up boxing match from the beginning then I'd be worried, but he's smarter than that

While I think you are probably right, if I were looking for a reason not to bet on Aldo, "Brazilian Machismo + Irish Shittalk == Stupid Gameplan" would be high on the list.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

fatherdog posted:

While I think you are probably right, if I were looking for a reason not to bet on Aldo, "Brazilian Machismo + Irish Shittalk == Stupid Gameplan" would be high on the list.

I have the same fear.

Its not enough to scare me away from jumping all over that absurd Aldo +150 line (lol, really?!?, OK!), but if I lose my bet, that is the most likely reason for it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
good technical while exciting fights to watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCuW4a0ZbA

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hendricks is a fat sack of poo poo who is going to eat himself into SharkFights2k25 as he attempts to rebuild his life after his failed steakhouse, I agree OP.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

If you are prepping boxing fans for a UFC, you might be better with fights that show how dangerous grappling can be. Any fight with a cool submission finish can really alter the "just hugging" perception.

Gomi v Nate
Gomi v Nick
Mir v Nog 2
Any Palhares
BJ Penn v Joe Stevenson
Jones v Machida
TKZ v Poirer and the Garcia twister
Fedor v Randleman
Rousey v Tate 1

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
if your friends like boxing then uhhhh Barnett vs Nogueira 1, Pulver vs Sakurai, Gomi vs Pulver, Machida vs Rashad, Edgar vs Griffin, Sergei vs Rizzo, Diaz vs Daley

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Emmy should really do Aldo vs Hominick because it's got both dudes slinging combos inside the pocket and at range and then since his friends are pro Conor they will appreciate Aldo getting beat up a bunch in the 5th

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
this has got me watching a bunch of old fights and even though the organisation driven promotional model is poo poo for a lot of reasons i'm grateful for the existence of all action fighters with double digit losses even in the big leagues

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i'm grateful for the existence of all action fighters with double digit losses even in the big leagues

i thank the real jesus every day for robbie lawler

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
UFC just released first fights for London card next February

Bisping vs Mousasi
Amirkhani vs Wilkinson
Parke vs Khabilov

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheCool69 posted:

UFC just released first fights for London card next February

Bisping vs Mousasi
Amirkhani vs Wilkinson
Parke vs Khabilov

rustam is going to absolutely gently caress up parke which will be rad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok I have an absolute rake of recommendations now. I just gave some of them my FightPass login and copy pasted the responses people gave into a list! I have also been getting them excited for a fight between a man who loves America too much and a white trash Greek god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Lawler/Brown owns too. It's two guys who are really good at suckering people into what look like stupid brawls in the pocket, while knowing exactly what they are doing there (seriously, Lawler's head movement is a wonder to watch)

• Locked thread