Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

New Years soppy post: we are very lucky to have an active moderator who understands the sport and shows good judgement with his corrections, I'm very happy to be part of this community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Happy New Year, pouring out a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats (with Almonds) for all y'all

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
someone talked about pat barry and i think all his videos are off of youtube now and also he's not in the ufc anymore right?

i have started off my 2016 with horrible news

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
This is pretty much the only tolerable thread on SA nowadays and I'm drat thankful for it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

someone talked about pat barry and i think all his videos are off of youtube now and also he's not in the ufc anymore right?

i have started off my 2016 with horrible news

I dunno about his youtube but he hasn't been in the UFC for years.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I used to cheat on this forum with the UG. I learned my lesson. Happy new year, pspmma. Condit's gonna win.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:toot:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Happy New Year, I browse r/mma too and they are so incredibly stupid all of the time. Thanks for being PSPMMA.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I love Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit happy New Years

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Every other mma forum on the web is full of open racists, so I'm really glad that you folks have given me a place to talk about the thing I am completely anmd totally obsessed with. Thank you, for real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I enjoy talking to you guys about MMA more than watching it nowadays. Here's to 2016, everyone here and Lawler vs Condit.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I never post but I am very suggestible when it comes to opinions on fighting so I'm glad to fall on this forum, otherwise I would probably not know that all fighters are bad.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

outy posted:

I just fired up Fightpass cos it's New Year and I'm drunk. I've not watched season 1 of TUF since it aired and I'm currently surprised by a couple of things. Firstly, the first fight isn't until the third episode. And the, when Bobby Southworth KOs some chump, The most noticeable thing is the ridiculous kung fu sound effects that accompany the knockout.
How did I not notice this before, and when do they stop doing this poo poo?

That season is so weird to look back on because it makes almost everyone in it look like a stupid pisshead, and the most notable thing about Griffin by the halfway mark is his crazy outfit when they hit town for one episode.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I don't post very much, but this place is better than any other MMA forum, and I still like you all and hope you have a good year :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Chuck on Conor is also cool. "I don't like how much he talks, but he knocks people out, so whatever."

Hey that's pretty much my opinion! I like poo poo talkers too, but his particular brand makes me roll my eyes a little.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Happy goon year doods. I'm glad I came back in time to learn about wang based fight prediction. Definitely a game changer. Even though you're a bunch of dickheads I can at least talk about fights here without wanting to forcibly remove my brain from an eye socket, so thanks for that. It's been enjoyable to watch posters who used to be super terrible become much less terrible as the new generation of super lovely posters take their place. Can someone please recruit a new MOBN though? I feel like this subforum is at it's finest when there's a marginally lovable buffoon who is wrong about everything

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

New year post: got back into MMA this year after roughly 3 years of watching a parodic events.

If 2016 doesn't see the comebacks of Leben, Tito and Randy then I don't think I can go on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Leben, Tito, and Handy are all done, but we do have Mark Hunt, The Barn Cat, and both Diaz brothers still chugging along solidly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's no way Chris Leben ever fights again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Uriah Hall's self-imposed inadequacies were actually a ruthless training regime in order to learn how best to psychologically destroy a UFC fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Of all the terrible places to discuss the stupid, gay, great sport, this is one of the least terrible. Elsewhere, it's just a thousand pages of people talking about 'chills' while watching Rizin, and not understanding why everyone isn't super excited about Fedor beating some no name.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Snowman_McK posted:

Elsewhere, it's just a thousand pages of people talking about 'chills' while watching Rizin, and not understanding why everyone isn't super excited about Fedor beating some no name.

i literally cannot imagine reading that unironically. this place is wonderful.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

There's no way Chris Leben ever fights again.

I bet he fights every night. Wins some and loses more. Being consistently inconsistent

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you're my favorite dweebs. RIP caffeinefree, big upsCort drop a new mixtape with a Bob Sapp verse

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
This year is where I've learned the most about MMA and I have this thread to thank.

Here's to another year of making fun of Jon and Johny.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Wait, shouldn't there be a January thread now?

UFC January - Robbie Lawler Loves To Fight

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

reformed bad troll posted:

I bet he fights every night. Wins some and loses more. Being consistently inconsistent

Every minute of being Chris Leben is a war with the self.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Happy New Year to my very favorite place on this stupid site.

UFC January - The Snake in the Garden

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Happy new year, PSPMMA. It's good to neither read threads nor watch fights with you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keICcOxl93k
The thud when Robbie lands the first punch in the finishing sequence of the Koscheck fight is unreal.

Pretty sure he'd have killed Josh if he didn't finish the fight here, so I don't really agree with it being an early stoppage either.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Joe Rogan has some weird ideas about early stoppage as koschecks heads gets bounced on the canvas: the fight

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keICcOxl93k
The thud when Robbie lands the first punch in the finishing sequence of the Koscheck fight is unreal.

Pretty sure he'd have killed Josh if he didn't finish the fight here, so I don't really agree with it being an early stoppage either.

Theres's a subset of fans for whom no stoppage is ever too late. Mumble, mumble, warrior spirit, respect of the fans, stop being a pansy. I met a guy who was outraged people thought Cain JDS 3 should have been stopped earlier. Because he was still swinging, hard, see. And he's a warrior. A warrior whose career will now be substantially shorter and who may struggle to recognise his children in a few years.

Marching Powder posted:

i literally cannot imagine reading that unironically. this place is wonderful.

I read it because I'm a hate camel. It lets me stock up on rage and reminds me why I post here and not there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

Every other mma forum on the web is full of open racists, so I'm really glad that you folks have given me a place to talk about the thing I am completely anmd totally obsessed with. Thank you, for real.

:toot:

Thanks for being a good mod who says lots of valuable stuff in the discussions. I always forget that you're a mod until you ban someone in a funny way, which is the best kind of moderation.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Joe Rogan has some weird ideas about early stoppage as koschecks heads gets bounced on the canvas: the fight

A lot of his weird calls about stoppages/stuff like Johnson kicking Diaz after the bell make a lot more sense when you factor in the fact that he openly acknowledges that his and Goldberg's view of the action is often obstructed, or otherwise lovely.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Happy new year all. I lurk this thread, and love that some of you really seem to know your poo poo and educate me in the ways of mma. Plus Atom.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Dan Didio posted:

A lot of his weird calls about stoppages/stuff like Johnson kicking Diaz after the bell make a lot more sense when you factor in the fact that he openly acknowledges that his and Goldberg's view of the action is often obstructed, or otherwise lovely.

I guess you're right about that. It still sounds ridiculous to hear a sport commentator having so strong words for the ref when he doesn't have the whole picture.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Yeah I'll do it in a bit. It's going to be one of those days so I'm moving a bit slow.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

I guess you're right about that. It still sounds ridiculous to hear a sport commentator having so strong words for the ref when he doesn't have the whole picture.

It's what he gets paid for. He's got to do the best he has with what he's got. Compare it to him talking about stoppages outside of the moment, or the ones he talks about on his fight companion podcasts, where he has an arguably clearer picture of the action, or his concerns over people's health, and I really don't think he's the kind of dude who calls stoppages early for no reason. He calls them because that's what he sees, and usually is willing to admit when he's wrong after the fact.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Happy New Year!

(I'll also post this GDT in the new thread once it's ready.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Best forum on the interweb for discussing the gayest sport on the planet. Bar none.

I posted that bit about Jack Dempsey on Facebook and a friend replied about something that happened in a bar he was at in the early 90s in Toronto:
Huge cowboy-looking dude was just being an rear end all over the place and he and his friends decided this group of black guys at the bar needed to become the focus of their entertainment. So the big dude goes over and tries to start something. And all of a sudden he just falls over out cold. The bouncers picked him up and threw him and his buddies out.
Heck of a way to find out that Razor Ruddock hits just as hard and fast outside of the ring as he did inside.

• Locked thread