Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Sauber's colors don't match their brand and yet their car looks like it's racing in GP2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
looking at the haas website we should have known, cars exactly match the corporate colours and tooling machines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

keevo posted:

Sauber's colors don't match their brand and yet their car looks like it's racing in GP2.

yeah
it's
sauber

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

very vague weather forecast for the weekend:

Saturday - scattered showers
Sunday - clear

:v:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

learnincurve posted:

looking at the haas website we should have known, cars exactly match the corporate colours and tooling machines.

Of course. In fact, why was nobody able to predict its livery? I expected a cool american take on the ferrari livery, perhaps a throwback style that the A team wasnt using at the time. I got a C&C machine paint job.

Alain Post posted:

Ferrari have pretty much never even let a customer team use a tiny logo on the engine cover, why would anyone expect them to run a fully fledged Ferrari livery

They are running a fully fledged ferrari car.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ferrari have pretty much never even let a customer team use a tiny logo on the engine cover, why would anyone expect them to run a fully fledged Ferrari livery

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Of course. In fact, why was nobody able to predict its livery? I expected a cool american take on the ferrari livery, perhaps a throwback style that the A team wasnt using at the time. I got a C&C machine paint job.

people did predict it. they were ignored because of that one time haas said "i like yellow" and everyone decided that was proof it would be a yellow car.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Just noticed this (almost posted it). Phew, at least SOMEONE gives us a yellow car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

They are running a fully fledged ferrari car.

they are not

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

And yet somehow they managed a more interesting livery than McFailron.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

enri posted:

very vague weather forecast for the weekend:

Saturday - scattered showers
Sunday - clear

:v:

Tomorrow is supposed to have thunderstorms in the morning, changing into showers in the afternoon.

Guess who has GA tickets for tomorrow

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nobody on the planet expected the mclaren to be painted like a clown car though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I know logic doesn't belong in this thread, but:

Redbull verbally castrates Renault for PU being awful and literally running out of ideas how to fix it = Red Bull bad

We spend the entire season (and counting) bagging on the Honda PU = We're expert F1 analysts = We're so funny and cool

I already know the answer, but shouldn't we give RBR some credit for calling out their lovely PU manufacturer instead of being the android corpse of Alonso stuck saying "we are making progress" in an infinite loop? I'd argue Renault is worse than Honda, they at least had two seasons of that engine and the reliability was abysmal. Half of team Dan didn't even make the formation lap at race 1 in 2015.

Yea, I know RBR is whiny, but at least they weren't afraid to throw Renault under the bus.

Renault will be lucky to score a point this year. Their car sure is shiny, though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

why did anyone ever expect anything different from mclaren

can someone seriously answer that? it's bizarre. the only reasonable person who expected a different livery from mclaren is a person who never watched F1 before.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

I know logic doesn't belong in this thread, but:

Redbull verbally castrates Renault for PU being awful and literally running out of ideas how to fix it = Red Bull bad

We spend the entire season (and counting) bagging on the Honda PU = We're expert F1 analysts = We're so funny and cool

I already know the answer, but shouldn't we give RBR some credit for calling out their lovely PU manufacturer instead of being the android corpse of Alonso stuck saying "we are making progress" in an infinite loop? I'd argue Renault is worse than Honda, they at least had two seasons of that engine and the reliability was abysmal. Half of team Dan didn't even make the formation lap at race 1 in 2015.

Yea, I know RBR is whiny, but at least they weren't afraid to throw Renault under the bus.

Renault will be lucky to score a point this year. Their car sure is shiny, though.

so you're saying we should criticize mclaren for working with their partner and praise red bull for working against theirs? and you additionally don't realize that mclaren's public face is meant to minimize damage to an organization that is giving them free engines and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, and that behind the scenes they were quite clearly reaming honda?

what

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

so you're saying we should criticize mclaren for working with their partner and praise red bull for working against theirs? and you additionally don't realize that mclaren's public face is meant to minimize damage to an organization that is giving them free engines and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, and that behind the scenes they were quite clearly reaming honda?

what

This.

Red Bull are more than free to throw Renault under the bus. But it is rather stupid for them to then have a cry over the fact that no other engine manufacturer will touch them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This.

Red Bull are more than free to throw Renault under the bus. But it is rather stupid for them to then have a cry over the fact that no other engine manufacturer will touch them.

honda's struggles as a new engine provider + red bull's behavior toward an underperforming engine manufacturer = why would anyone join the sport specifically for them?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Anyone know any legal way to stream this upcoming race?

I used to be able to buy a 24 hour pass but I can't figure out how to this time around now that it's C4 instead of sky.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lou Takki posted:

So you're saying you want to give Bernie money?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

honda's struggles as a new engine provider + red bull's behavior toward an underperforming engine manufacturer = why would anyone join the sport specifically for them?

Its not just that. McLaren historically have paid nothing or very little for their engines since Ron took control because they maintain such good relations with their suppliers. They're a team that is incredibly patient almost to a fault and willing to let their engine manufacturer work through issues.

Red Bull could have very quietly gone door knocking to manufacturers last year and said "look we're a team that has won 4 consecutive championships, we want to win more, would you like to work with us?" and probably have gotten somebody to sign up for that and hell they may have even given them free engines on the right terms. Instead they threw their toys out the pram and now nobody wants to touch them

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

quote:

I used to be able to buy a 24 hour pass but I can't figure out how to this time around now that it's C4 instead of sky.

It isn't C4 instead of Sky. Sky F1 is still covering all the races live, C4 just has the former BBC package of "highlights for 10 races, live coverage for 10 races". Australia is a Sky-only race.

You can still buy the day pass if you're willing to pay £7. I don't know of a legal, cost-effective way to stream, but I can tell you that it probably doesn't exist because a certain Mr. Ecclestone is not Cool and Good.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

what

Red bull wasn't working against their manufacturer. Red bull offered engineers to Renault, who refused until they literally got to a point where they ran out of ideas and eventually allowed red bull to bring in Illien on their own dime to try and find some workarounds. Now maybe there were some politics at play trying to purposely piss off red bull so they could drop them? Who knows.

All I'm saying is Renault was poo poo and refused help, and Red Bull is coming out the bad guy because they were given the 2nd worst PU on the grid.

In another season where we'll probably have a 3rd straight Hammy WDC, the only joy I'll get is seeing Renault getting their asses handed to them.

I don't really care one way or the other about mclaren. They get a pass from me, it was their first year with the PU and it amazes me that they could whip together an engine that earned them some points in so little time, even though it was way down on power and on the whole quite unreliable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Red Bull have pissed a lot of other car manufacturers off via shenanigans in other race series though. It's not exactly a shocking revelation that red bull being unlikable bastards is motorsport wide.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

red bull was so obscenely lovely toward renault that they aren't even allowed to say "renault"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Red Bull could have very quietly gone door knocking to manufacturers last year and said "look we're a team that has won 4 consecutive championships, we want to win more, would you like to work with us?" and probably have gotten somebody to sign up for that and hell they may have even given them free engines on the right terms. Instead they threw their toys out the pram and now nobody wants to touch them

Who are they going to get an engine from? Ferrari or Mercedes don't want to get beat with their own engine, and they're not going to lure an outside supplier in with "How about you spend $200M on developing an engine that you'll give us for free and you can slap a Ford badge on it". I don't think so.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Red Bull have pissed a lot of other car manufacturers off via shenanigans in other race series though. It's not exactly a shocking revelation that red bull being unlikable bastards is motorsport wide.

they tricked us all with the scrappy underdog card for their first few years

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Who are they going to get an engine from? Ferrari or Mercedes don't want to get beat with their own engine, and they're not going to lure an outside supplier in with "How about you spend $200M on developing an engine that you'll give us for free and you can slap a Ford badge on it". I don't think so.

mclaren did just that

also $200m is...quite the underestimate. it's more like a billion.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Red Bull annoy me because their branding implies that a silly drinks company can construct a chassis and a silly watch company can construct an engine a power unit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

dreesemonkey posted:

Red bull wasn't working against their manufacturer. Red bull offered engineers to Renault, who refused until they literally got to a point where they ran out of ideas and eventually allowed red bull to bring in Illien on their own dime to try and find some workarounds. Now maybe there were some politics at play trying to purposely piss off red bull so they could drop them? Who knows.

I'm going to suggest that as none of us know the whole story it probably wasn't as simple as Mattershits knocking on the door to Renault's office and going "Alright mate how's it going? Do you need a hand? You sure? Its on us." and that there was probably some strings attached to that. Renault was pretty vocal as far back as the third Vettelreich that Red Bull weren't living up to end of things on the PR front. Also Red Bull bang on and on about their single cylinder prototypes not being used but there's plenty of issues that can present itself in a full engine that aren't there in a single cylinder prototype.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

I guess? I don't watch enough other series to know, this is what I think I've read elsewhere:

WRC: I know people think they ran WRC into the ground, but WRC was ruined by Loeb before RedBull bought them.
NASCAR: Something about them pulling out when they realized they weren't going to win all the time? I dunno.
BTTC or Australian supercars or something: Bought the top teams and dominated, pissing everyone off?

I get it, I'm just the naive Red Bull apologist, but they do cool stuff with their money at least, outside of racing. They have their hands in every sport. Giving people the ability to do rad stuff for a living is pretty cool to me.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

track day bro! posted:

And yet somehow they managed a more interesting livery than McFailron.

Barely more interesting. Sauber's livery is bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dreesemonkey posted:

McLaren attracted a new manufacturer because they are a reliable partner. Red Bull bitched in the press about leaving the sport and acted like they were entitled to bringing Audi in or some poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

mclaren did just that

also $200m is...quite the underestimate. it's more like a billion.

This is my larger point and why Red Bull deserve zero sympathy. Ron Dennis understands the long game, today's enemy is tomorrow's friend. For gently caress sakes if you said in 2009 that just six years later Alonso would be driving for Mclaren and they're going to have Honda engines everyone would've laughed at you. Its highly unlikely Vettel will ever return to Red Bull and I'd be shocked if Renault give them a works engine ever again past possibly this year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't believe I'm sticking up for McLaren in this thread but Red Bull are that loathsome I guess.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

This is my larger point and why Red Bull deserve zero sympathy. Ron Dennis understands the long game, today's enemy is tomorrow's friend. For gently caress says if you said in 2009 that just six years later Alonso would be driving for Mclaren and they're going to have Honda engines everyone would've laughed at you. Its highly unlikely Vettel will ever return to Red Bull and I'd be shocked if Renault give them a works engine ever again past possibly this year.

A fair point. I guess it will be interesting to see what happens in the second half of the season with "Who will give Red Bull an engine - gate" or will they try and role their own with the token-less 2017 rules?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

red bull's business model is selling ultra-high-margin drinks and then reinvesting that money into sports that make them look cool so people will buy their cool drink. this doesn't work if they are bad at those sports and thus look uncool. their success is, in large part, due to their ability to outspend everyone. that doesn't work in nascar. and it doesn't work in F1 if you don't control your engine supply and you happen to be in an engine-dominated formula. other teams will simply adapt because they are racing teams and that's what you do. red bull doesn't have time to adapt because every second they spend losing jeopardizes their investment. even the big auto manufacturers don't have this problem, because doing bad and then quitting looks so much worse from a PR perspective than working through your struggles, plus they actually get some R&D/engineering value out of the deal. red bull are unique in that they MUST win constantly for their involvement to be worthwhile, and if they don't win they get scared that they'll be shut down and start flailing around like a child trying not to drown. and that's why everyone hates red bull.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

red bull's business model is selling ultra-high-margin drinks and then reinvesting that money into sports that make them look cool so people will buy their cool drink. this doesn't work if they are bad at those sports and thus look uncool. their success is, in large part, due to their ability to outspend everyone. that doesn't work in nascar. and it doesn't work in F1 if you don't control your engine supply and you happen to be in an engine-dominated formula. other teams will simply adapt because they are racing teams and that's what you do. red bull doesn't have time to adapt because every second they spend losing jeopardizes their investment. even the big auto manufacturers don't have this problem, because doing bad and then quitting looks so much worse from a PR perspective than working through your struggles, plus they actually get some R&D/engineering value out of the deal. red bull are unique in that they MUST win constantly for their involvement to be worthwhile, and if they don't win they get scared that they'll be shut down and start flailing around like a child trying not to drown. and that's why everyone hates red bull.

That is... Actually really well put and makes sense. I'll drop the Red Bull stuff now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

A fair point. I guess it will be interesting to see what happens in the second half of the season with "Who will give Red Bull an engine - gate" or will they try and role their own with the token-less 2017 rules?

james allen is adamant that red bull want a honda engine for 2017. it very much depends on what happens with the proposed rules requiring engine manufacturers supply X number of teams. if that dies, red bull has to stick with renault and maybe find someone else for the long term (or quit). if the FIA forces manufacturers to supply just one team other than their works outfit, mclaren probably makes a deal with sauber, who could use such a partnership and certainly don't like being ferrari's C-team (and gives mclaren a place to send vandoorne, if need be). who knows what could happen if the rules are different than that.

wicka fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 17, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

That is... Actually really well put and makes sense. I'll drop the Red Bull stuff now.

don't feel obliged to, i am a mclaren fan ffs, you are not the worst person here. and poo poo we are actually discussing FORMULA ONE in a reasonable manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Honda at least had an excuse with it being the first year they ran under the new engine specs. Renault had no such excuse and really should have done much better.

• Locked thread